Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2016)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

moonbeast
Learned Scribe

USA
251 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2016 :  12:00:50  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

My question is regarding the "existence status" of a couple cities/towns in the (5th Edition) post-Sundering era. Namely these are cities that seem to have no mention in the recent Sword Coast Adventurers Guide. In fact, they don't even have a "city dot" on the SCAG Map. Nesme, does it still exist? Probably destroyed by the Many-Arrows Horde. But a confirmation would be nice. How about Everlund? And no mention of Beregost, a large town just down the highway from Candlekeep, but no mention from the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide. Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5034 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2016 :  14:02:08  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello All,

Ed how do female adventurers deal with their monthly out on the roads and especially in places like the Underdark or any hostile non-urban environment. What manners of disposal are there for them as well to avoid leaving "tracks" during the duration. Just how long is the period of women in Faerun of various races now that I think of it?

Thanks

Ed addressed part of this back in 2006:

quote:
Hi again, fellow scribes. Herewith, Ed makes reply to Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, about this: “All right, my question for today may sound really silly, but I have honestly been wondering about it for the past few days. The trivial things in life are part of what makes up...life. If my question has been answered before, I apologize.
Do Faerunian women commonly shave their legs, underarms, and *ahem* other parts of their bodies? If so, what types of razors, creams, and other materials do they use? From what I understand, the common safety razors used today were invented only about 100-150 years ago--I can't imagine having to use a regular straight razor. I have also wondered sometimes how Faerunian women deal with their menstrual cycles...”
Ed speaks:

Nothing trivial at all about such matters! If the game makes note of what weapons or loot creatures carry, descriptions of their bodies (especially as corpses or captives being searched) are of vital importance. In the same way, if a Realms fiction writer is describing someone disrobing or getting dressed, or for that matter what’s on view in a harem, festhall, or club where scantily-clad folk are dancing or otherwise on display, this becomes Need To Know information. This importance is only enhanced when we consider time-to-time adventuring necessities of hiding small items in various body cavities (ahem; I’m sure you understand).
So here we go . . .
[[scribes reading this be warned: specific biological anatomy words and details follow]]
First, the body hair. In a world with many races dwelling and working (or at least trading) together, there’s a great tolerance for variety. So no one “looks down on” someone for being different (i.e. having heavy body hair or not). However, there are practical reasons for being hairless in warm climates (and for wrestlers and those who make coin by means of sex, too), and in the warmer countries of the Realms almost all adult folk do remove their body (not head) hair (by plucking—the mild pain of this technique is often used in prayer, in monastic communities; by shaving with sharp CURVED [crescentiform, sharp edge on inside of curve, but with a short, marked arc of sharpened outside edge at the end for doing armpits] blades; and—most popularly, by far—by the application of herbal depilatory ointments, of which there are many, widely known everywhere in the Realms). This is less common in cold areas such as the North, and men everywhere often leave chest and head hair alone, and merely trim other hair short (or shave just their cheeks, and trim moustache, sideburn, and beard hair). The majority of men DON’T shave their heads, unless they have head rashes or wounds that need treatment, and men and women aren’t vain about hair that goes gray or white (they may dye hair for all sorts of effects or reasons, but pretending to not age isn’t one of them).
As humans biologically have hair to catch and intensify natural body scent, and strong-smelling human odours aren’t considered pleasant in most of the Realms, the great majority of humans do “wash their hairy areas” daily or even more often, and use scented oils when they can’t wash properly, or before engaging in activities they know will be sweaty and during or after which they want to impress or be welcoming to others.
Many who do remove armpit and genital-area hair may leave small shaped areas of hair for adornment (e.g. a lightning bolt zigzagging down to a clitoris), and for adornment, when going nude or wearing garments that leave strategic areas bare, body paint (and dyes like henna), or even more permanent tattoos (usually blue or green) are sometimes used to “replace” genital hair.
It should be remembered that warriors and wrestlers also have practical reasons for minimizing hair, and anyone who’s ridden a lot will know that hair literally “wears off” stress areas like the inner thighs. Nor does hair always grow back on scar tissue.
Second: menstrual cycles and their treatment. Social and practical. Social: Selune, Chauntea, and many other deities keep “closeness to natural cycles” strong in the minds of all Faerûnians; there’s no religious or societal stigma about menstruation. Women aren’t regarded as “unclean” at any time, menses are no bar to sexual activity, and any embarrassment is purely of the “Oh, now I’ve stained a nice [or borrowed] garment” variety. Menstruation is never called “the curse” or anything of the sort in the Realms; in Faerûn, it’s “lifeblood” or “moonblood” or even “Selune’s kiss” or “under the moon” (as in: “I’m under the moon just now, so pack extra redcloths”).
Time for the practical. Please see my reply on page 21 of my 2004 replies, here at Candlekeep, for information about undergarments (specifically clouts and redcloths).
Blood-stained “redcloths” will be washed or at least rinsed out daily, often in scented water. To avoid being tracked by beasts following scent, wilderland-travelling women often discard (by burying them) redcloths as they go; if they can find dew or any sort of water in which to wash the cloths (including stagnant swampwater), they’ll do so, often dousing the cloth with perfume beforehand to minimize any odours the water causes. The most popular “travelling wash” for redcloths (practiced, for example, by women stopping at a rustic inn) is cheap wine followed by rinsing with rainbarrel water. Please bear in mind that there’s no embarrassment or stigma attached to this, even for young females experiencing their first menses; no one will be trying to do this “on the sly,” and inns high and low will anticipate this need and have facilities for it (that’s why there are ewers of water sitting in washbasins in most inn rooms, AND spare washbasins underneath beds, alongside the chamberpots). Most inns and taverns do a busy daily trade in buying new redcloths and disposing of old ones (they become scrubbing rags).
One last note: shaving your naughty bits with a straight razor isn’t easy, but having someone else (who’s skilled, in good light and with room to work, and not in a hurry) is just fine, if you aren’t embarrassed and don’t flinch). Just ask THO.

So saith Ed. Who (as you can probably tell by now) lacks a lot of the hang-ups and prejudices of most of the males of his generation. I remember him cheerfully buying feminine products for both co-workers and family members, but thinking it ridiculous when they asked him to go make the purchase but were embarrassed to tell him their “sizes.”
And yes, Ed’s right about the straight razor, but the key word is “skilled.” (Ed is more of a “gingerly-proceeding amateur” than “skilled” in any use of a straight razor, but I once encountered a grandfatherly army barber who tended to a row of female personnel with a gruff, “Spread ’em, ladies, and no telling jokes while I’ve got the razor out; laughers are bleeders.”)
Amazing, what we get around to discussing in this forum . . .
love to all,
THO

And the earlier response, that discussed (among other things) undergarments and redcloths:

quote:
Hi, David. Well, how much spice to include in your game should be up to your players. Discuss it with them first. My players have on occasion roleplayed some VERY erotic moments “in the flesh” (er, so to speak -- sorry, couldn’t resist that one), but on other occasions didn’t want to. [It of course helps to have a mixed-gender group of great maturity and a strong love of roleplaying and very close friendships; my group happens to include two stable-long term couples, and some er, adventuresome folks from generations before AIDS.] As DM, my job is keep them happy, so it’s their call. The older in age your players are, the less possibility exists of unintentionally upsetting anyone (as long as everyone agrees on ‘the ground rules’ beforehand).
For instance, I’d never dream of deliberately making a homophobic person uncomfortable when I (a rather stout, pepper-and-salt-bearded man) roleplay a prostitute and go and sit in a male player’s lap caressing his chin and face and breathily making propositions in a feminine voice -- but I don’t have to worry about that, because I know my players and they know me. We have “warning words” (we simply say: “Steady!” or “Simmer!”) for anyone to signal if they’re becoming uncomfortable or think an observer (i.e. someone who’s not a regular player) might be misinterpreting or becoming uncomfortable.
So your first step has to be discussing this with your players, even if it’s going to rob a future erotic situation or scene of its surprise/shock value.
I don’t want to leave anyone reading this with the impression that our play sessions are orgies. Far from it: sex comes up in play (ahem) less and less frequently as players age and a campaign acquires a deep history (and playing style) of its own. It’s just that when it does, we’re all comfortable with it -- in the same way, just to give an example, two “straight” actors of the same gender can climb into bed with each other and pretend to be carrying out a homosexual sex act when they’re performing a scene for a play or movie. I suppose you could say we’re all mature professionals about it.
Our player characters are not ourselves. What we do as characters doesn’t directly reflect our personal views and actions -- in the same way I create characters in my novels who disagree with each other to the point of killing each other, so obviously they can’t all be reflections of my own personal views (something a lot of critics, academics, and real-world clergy seem to be too simpleminded to understand, but that’s another issue).
I think all of my players are used to my craziness, and can enjoy the entertainment without fearing I’m going to use the game as an excuse to jump them carnally -- but I can certainly see that other players unfamiliar with me might acquire that fear -- and I’d never want to make someone that uncomfortable. As they say: hey, it’s just a game.
On the other hand, I once played D&D at GenCon with a beautiful stranger who unconcernedly dropped her jeans and everything else to proudly show us all her latest tattoo. It was very nice, as I recall. :}
Yet more than the view, I admired her casual confidence, her being comfortable in her own skin. THAT’S what I remember, not the exposed flesh.
Which brings us to lingerie. First, utilitarian underwear for men and women: women with large breasts that get in the way, or when doing activites that are going to cause chafing or discomfort (crawling on rock while mining, rowing, etc.) often wear a tight cloth breast-binding or sling (the equivalent of a modern sports bra, although instead of stretchy fabric covering a lot of skin, the Realms version is more like a trough or shelf of tightly-stretched cloth sewn to cords (precisely because elastic fabric is largely unknown in the Realms). In colder climates, soft hide bras are worn most of the time.
For the lower half of the body, both men and women wear clouts: a very tight leather, cloth, or cord (listed here in descending order of perceived quality and durability) belt worn around the hips, and usually held tight by multiple hooks (like a modern bra) at the front. Then a long, diaper-like strip of rectangular cloth (usually cotton) is passed between the legs, up through the front of the belt to dangle down, and up through the back of the belt to dangle down. In other words, the “breechclout” of some native American tribes. In many cases, the dangling front and back ends are designed to be tied together, and the cloth may be folded in on itself for extra absorbency or padding (especially when the wearer expects to be riding a mount). Menstruating women usually place another layer or two of red-hued cloth inside the clout and change this as necessary, and yes, clouts can be purchased that are decorative and ‘made to be seen.’ Freshly-perfumed clouts are often sold in Waterdeep and other large cities.
Among simple backcountry folk in cold climates, women often wear leggings, leather skirts, long hide shirts (tunics), and fur cloaks -- and a woman wanting to signal her willingness for some hanky-panky either aggressively tells her chosen partner so, or hikes up her skirts briefly to reveal that she, ahem, seems to have forgotten to put on her clout! (Prostitutes trolling for strangers often expose their breasts and hold up a lantern to spotlight this fact -- and probably also to keep the bared skin a little warmer.)
Okay, on to the alluring stuff. The concept of wire for breast support and shaping is unknown in the Realms, but corsets (laced-up, tight boiled hide, not whalebone or any sort of stiffeners) and stomachers that cinch the waist tight are popular, and many of them have shaped panels for the hips and a top ‘shelf’ to thrust out and support the breasts. Low-cut peasant blouses and even lace trimmings (as one can see from examining the covers of Volo’s Guides and much Realms interior artwork) are widely used. In hot climates, panties and translucent silk pantaloons, vests, and the like are often worn by women (Hollywood “harem” wear), also as established by some Realms artwork.
So black lace, black leather, and red (the other erotic hue) straps can be worn. Black lace dresses, garments that expose the crotch and nipples, and what we might call ‘bondage gear’ (such as tassel-adorned nipple clamps) are okay, on festhall dancers and in private, among couples. Prostitutes dress in whatever garb is allowed locally; in more conservative places, they are usually fully dressed, but in garments that show a strip of bare flesh all the way up the outside of the leg and torso (i.e. held together with a series of rings). This signals to would-be clients that this particular woman wants to be approached, rather than being someone who’ll offer instant violence AND scream for the Watch if propositioned.
Men trying to signal their interest in sex or courtship will often wear an artificial flower perched on one shoulder: a red rose for “I’m looking for courtship,” a black rose for “I’m looking for sex,” and a steel rose to signal homosexual interest (a device also used by lesbians). In ‘my’ Realms, there’s no stigma attached to homosexual relationships, only to any sexual behaviour that involves exploiting children, and any sexual behaviour that involves force or coercion (please note: WILLINGLY undergoing pain or bondage doesn’t count).
Fops or boisterous types (such as Mirt the Moneylender) might wear four or more such roses to signal that they’re interested in multiple partners for the night, but except in the right sort of festhall, such displays can often cause mirth or ridicule.
Other than the rose, men seldom wear “lingerie” per se, but may shave, perfume themselves, or wear a single black legging (usally on the right leg) decorated with scenes of heroic prowess (usually depicted in red). Tiny bells on nipple-rings are sometimes worn by individuals of either gender to ‘appear sexy,’ and some priests are reportedly excited by sexual partners who tattoo symbols of their deity on the palms of their hands.
And a glance at the published Realms should make it obvious that erotic dancing is a big part of foreplay and sexual entertainment. Elaborately-decorated (with bells, etc.) garters (we’re talking here not the modern straps between belt and silk stockings, but rather the slender belt worn around a single leg with ends a-dangle) are often worn by dancers, both professionals and houswives wanting to excite their husbands, and undone and thrown aside during the dance.
In warmer climes, both genders often signal their desire for sex by walking naked in moonlit gardens, or naked except for finely-made, ‘show’ high boots, headgear (often with face veils), and to-the-elbow gloves (an overcloak is usually worn to reach the gardens -- and if the gardens aren’t private, kept on until a desired partner is met).
Foreplay among elves and half-elves (particularly strangers) often includes the wearing of full-face masks or hoods that leave bare only the ears -- and caressing, kissing, or licking of ears (plus throat, backs of knees, and palms of hands) for and by both partners leads to more ardent activities.

I gotta say.... sometimes this forum amazes me. But that is well thought out.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  21:50:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
I've been on radio-silence assignment again, and Ed has been VERY busy writing (see the latest Dragon Plus issue, and the Eternity Quartet e-series on Amazon, and the Shadow Of A Demon Lord adventure e-release on RPGNet, and a host of other RPG adventures and short stories and the forthcoming Realms novel DEATH MASKS [June 2016) and a FLOOD of not-yet-released TEGG (The Ed Greenwood Group) books for what he's been busy with), but I'm back at least long enough to answer moonbeast:
Ed says Nesme (sorry, can't type the accent on this machine), Everlund, and Beregost all still exist, but are of course changed from what they were when last seen in detail (with the passing years). Ed will try to arrange future coverage, somehow and somewhere...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2016 :  23:09:32  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
I loved seeing Volo again in the latest Dragon+ issue. :)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2559 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  01:34:59  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise... especially since it means that we could be potentially seeing more Volo guides in the future.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Master of Realmslore

USA
1357 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2016 :  04:54:48  Show Profile  Send The Masked Mage an AOL message  Click to see The Masked Mage's MSN Messenger address Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise... especially since it means that we could be potentially seeing more Volo guides in the future.

I would love a new series of Volo's guides... some of the best snippets of the realms were in the old ones - and I always enjoyed the sardonic or annoyed footnotes :)
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2016 :  07:28:05  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2016 :  07:42:13  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
#147;Nungulfim#147;

This critter has always interested me. The "Guardian of the Tome" is an odd creature...and it makes me wonder if there are more of them than the single one detailed in the The Scalamagdrion.

Can you share any information about this odd "Dragon"?

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  18:59:40  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

By way of the "Reign of Winter" adventure path, Paizo has made it official that Earth exists within the same Prime Material Plane as Golarion.

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2t7r2&page=2?How-are-Earth-and-Golarion-in-the-same-universe#84

Real world year (i.e. printing year i.e. NOW) 2016 AD = Golarion Year 4716 AR = Fictitious Earth Year 1921 AD
(events of "Rasputin Must Die!" were published in 2013 therefore set in 4713 AR = 1918 AD)

Now,

1) Are the Realms also within the same Prime as Fictitious Earth?
2) If the answer to 1) is yes, then what are the time/date/reckoning relationships between Fictitious Earth and the Realms?

(I cannot suppress a certain glee I feel at the possibility that Earth, Golarion and the Realms could all be within the same prime... Pathfinder has that 9th level spell, 'Interplanetary Teleport' which allows travel between far flung galaxies...)

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/spells/interplanetaryTeleport.html

Thanks! :)

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 08 Mar 2016 13:55:08
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2016 :  19:08:31  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Oh, and more on that, as of yesterday... which I must share:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2ti62?Lets-guess-what-will-be-in-Strange-Aeons#18

For ease of reference let me quote the discussion:

Gulthor wrote:
Well, Reign of Winter was released in 2013, meaning that it's set in 4713. In that AP, we discover that the year on Earth is 1918.
Strange Aeons is being released 2016-2017, or 4716-4717, meaning that the year on Earth is 1921-1922.
In 1921, the Nameless City was released - considered to be the first story in the Cthulhu mythos. In 1922, the Necronimicon was discovered/unearthed as part of the Cthulhu mythos.
I'm hoping that I'm giving the design team enough credit, here, but I expect the events in Strange Aeons to tie-in with the events that occur within the Cthulhu mythos timeline based on the date they've established in Reign of Winter.

James Jacob wrote:
Note that "The Nameless City" is also the story in which the two words "Strange Aeons" first appear.

:)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4718 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2016 :  22:32:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That's pretty cool.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13117 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  00:46:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
It has been theorized that the (D&D)Earth's 'present' is actual in the 1800's (there's a portal leading to it and that time) during the 1e/2e/3e period.

Thus when Elminster 'visits' the (D&D) Ed Greenwood, he is actually visiting him at some future point in time, telling him stories of 'Realms past'. When the OGB was released, that period was already part of Toril's history by over a century.

Thus, the newer timeline (4e/5e) should be the 'now', or close to it, and that explains why Ed is still alive and getting info from Elminster (otherwise, 4e/5e would be taking place one hundred years in OUR future, which would make it very hard to keep continuity with the setting's primary premise - that El visits Ed and tells him about the Realms... and then we get published books about it).

I know most die-hard fans won't like that, because it means the 4e/5e time has always been the 'now', and everything we fell in love with is the distant past, but its the only thing that makes everything fit together nicely.

EDIT: Oh, and as for their (Paizo's) other crossover to Earth in which you meet Rasputin, that would have all occurred around or soon after (a couple of decades) when the 1e/2e period was introduced to us (does someone have a precise date for that Toril/Earth portal?), so maybe right around the 3e/pre-4e era. I'd like to think Elminster was there... somewhere... perhaps having tea (or Vodka) in in a cafe in Saint Petersburg, watching those events unfold. Who knows... maybe HE was Rasputin's father. There is a familial look about them.

EDIT2: And taking this whole 'multiversal' thing a step further, the D&D product Gothic Earth Gazetteer would have been THE D&D Earth to which that portal lead, which means all those BBG's and what-not exist in the D&D version of Earth, lurking in the shadows (and gels rather nicely with the Cthulhu mythos and anything 'candlelight' from the WW/WoD lines).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Mar 2016 01:00:15
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  01:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
Although it wasn't a Forgotten Realms adventure, in Dragon #100, the adventure The City Beyond the Gate sent players to modern (I assume 1980s) London. Although it was a Greyhawk adventure, it references a prior article written by Ed Greenwood about adventuring in the 20th Century.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29646 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  03:56:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It has been theorized that the (D&D)Earth's 'present' is actual in the 1800's (there's a portal leading to it and that time) during the 1e/2e/3e period.

Thus when Elminster 'visits' the (D&D) Ed Greenwood, he is actually visiting him at some future point in time, telling him stories of 'Realms past'. When the OGB was released, that period was already part of Toril's history by over a century.

Thus, the newer timeline (4e/5e) should be the 'now', or close to it, and that explains why Ed is still alive and getting info from Elminster (otherwise, 4e/5e would be taking place one hundred years in OUR future, which would make it very hard to keep continuity with the setting's primary premise - that El visits Ed and tells him about the Realms... and then we get published books about it).

I know most die-hard fans won't like that, because it means the 4e/5e time has always been the 'now', and everything we fell in love with is the distant past, but its the only thing that makes everything fit together nicely.

We could just as readily assume that the 1-3 Realms is still happening right now, and for the 4E/5E stuff, we're tapping into a portal that leads to the future of the Realms.

Or we could assume that the flow of time fluctuates between the different universes, and so that a century there was only a couple of years for us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13117 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  13:46:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
As I said... most fans won't like it.

I am not a fan of 'wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff'. I like time travel, but I like it to be concise and have rules. The 'time works differently' thing I can deal with with Faerie (Feywild these days), because of its nature, but I like the interactions between more stable planes to be more... stable. If not, we should should just toss out Brian James' entire 'Chronology of the Primes' (but I am NOT above using a mega, inter-dimensional cataclysm to put them 'out of sync' for one specific era).

For example, I found it rather intriguing that if we go with what I theorized above, it also means that both Aroden (Golarion) & Mystra disappeared around the same exact time, and it would also mean that the Spellplague happened at precisely the same time as the 'Grand Conjunction' in Ravenloft (which crossed into GH canon). It also means the 'Great War' and creation of the Mournlands (Eberron) also happened around that same time. You could even possibly tie it to the cataclysm in Krynn (although thats one setting where my knowledge is severely lacking). This is just the sort of 'mega event' I am talking about - one that sends perturbations throughout the Primes.

I blame the whole thing on Cross-Time Kangs.

The other problem with not saying it all happened 'in the past' of our own time is that it would mean (D&D) Earth is now somewhere around 2100 AD. That would mean Ed is dead, and we should no longer be receiving info about The Realms. I think figuring that out caused one of my bannings from the WotC site when I made that point after the 4e info came out ("WotC killed Ed Greenwood!" lol).

Unless the D&D Ed isn't human. He could have had his brain transferred to a robot, or got cloned, or he had 'fey blood' all along, etc., etc.... the possibilities are endless.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  14:12:58  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Just a few minor points of clarification about Golarion:

1. It exists in the same prime material plane as fictitious 1921 Earth. So far the general idea is that Earth 1921 is amazingly distant from Golarion and perhaps even in a different galaxy.
2. Distant Worlds (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qib?Pathfinder-Campaign-Setting-Distant-Worlds) provides explanations as to why the Plane Shift trick (to the Outer Planes then back to the prime to another planet or galaxy) or Greater Teleport spells do not work when trying to go to another planet, galaxy, etc. within the same Prime. Basically, it's something about the infinity property of planes and kinda the same reason why you never know where you'll arrive when you say, Plane Shift to an Outer Plane. Plane Shifting back to the prime thus usually brings you back to the same point you exited in the first place (i.e. Golarion, if this is your homeworld, as opposed to Earth 1921 or some other planet around the Golarion sun)
3. As of the Second Darkness adventure path, and later reaffirmed via Distant Worlds, the spell "Interplanetary Teleport" is required to access different planets or galaxies within the same Prime. It is a 9th level spell, and the general principle in the Pathfinder game is that you'll never be able to replicate a certain spell or effect with a lower level spell or effect, hence the impossibility of doing the Plane Shift trick or Greater Teleport trick. The only other canon method to go to other planets in the Golarion solar system is via the permanent elf gates located in Kyonin.
4. Certain people have theorized that Greater Teleport has a certain range limit, and that if you can cast it at will, and if you are able to cast it in a vacuum, you could in theory use it to go to distant places (i.e. you look up to the moon, cast it, and appear somewhere in between, in space, cast it again, and again, and again, and again, and then at some point your appear standing on it). This is just fan-made theory at this point and not official Pathfinder lore (i.e. good for home campaigns if you feel like it). My opinion is that it cheapens Interplanetary Teleport and the elf gates.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  17:52:42  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
For those who wonder, yes, certain monsters have the natural ability to fly in space: (note the various flight speeds...)

Starflight (Su) A mi-go can survive in the void of outer space. It flies through space at incredible speeds. Although exact travel times vary, a trip within a single solar system normally takes 3d20 months, while a trip beyond normally takes 3d20 years (or more, at the GM’s discretion)—provided the mi-go knows the way to its destination.

Starflight (Ex) An oma can survive in the void of outer space, and soars through vacuum at incredible speed. Although exact travel times vary, a trip between two planets within a solar system should take 3d20 days, while one to another system should take 3d20 weeks (or more, at the GM’s discretion), provided the oma knows the way to its destination.

Starflight (Ex) In outer space, an outer dragon (i.e. lunar, solar, time, void or vortex dragon) can survive in the void and fly at incredible speed. Travel times vary, but a trip within a single solar system should take 3d20 hours, and a trip beyond should take 3d20 days or more if the dragon knows the way to its destination. An outer dragon can carry one rider of one size category smaller than itself, four passengers two sizes smaller, eight passengers three sizes smaller, or 16 passengers four or more sizes smaller. Passengers are protected from the void of outer space.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
3338 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  00:25:04  Show Profile  Visit Dalor Darden's Homepage Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

Unless the D&D Ed isn't human. He could have had his brain transferred to a robot, or got cloned, or he had 'fey blood' all along, etc., etc.... the possibilities are endless.

Ed's workload alone means that he isn't human...

Visit my Blog Page to find things for YOUR Forgotten Realms!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  14:15:09  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

OR he's into that whole outsourcing to China thing... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  19:58:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Could be clones of Ed or he's part of the Borg Collective. Tough to say!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Master of Realmslore

1356 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  23:02:33  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

quote:

As long as it doesn't end in "Greenwood wars"...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  23:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
quote:

There is that Stasis Clone spell of Manshoon's...

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
29646 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2016 :  03:29:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

It's obvious that both Larloch and Manshoon are based on Ed. He's got a bunch of clones of himself, all stashed in his basement, constantly cranking out material!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2016 :  03:45:08  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

what would the older surviving demons and devils consider some of the most legendary events in the Blood War?

Have devils and demons ever put aside their hatred for desire or "love" for one another. If yes, has any offspring creature come from such a union?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13117 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  12:48:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

It's obvious that both Larloch and Manshoon are based on Ed. He's got a bunch of clones of himself, all stashed in his basement, constantly cranking out material!

And now you have me picturing Ed in Michael Keaton's place in the movie Multiplicity.

"You know how when you make a copy of a copy, it's not as sharp as... well... the original."

Now he can blame some of his not-so-stellar bits on that guy.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000