Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2016)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2016 :  22:32:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
That's pretty cool.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  00:46:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
It has been theorized that the (D&D)Earth's 'present' is actual in the 1800's (there's a portal leading to it and that time) during the 1e/2e/3e period.

Thus when Elminster 'visits' the (D&D) Ed Greenwood, he is actually visiting him at some future point in time, telling him stories of 'Realms past'. When the OGB was released, that period was already part of Toril's history by over a century.

Thus, the newer timeline (4e/5e) should be the 'now', or close to it, and that explains why Ed is still alive and getting info from Elminster (otherwise, 4e/5e would be taking place one hundred years in OUR future, which would make it very hard to keep continuity with the setting's primary premise - that El visits Ed and tells him about the Realms... and then we get published books about it).

I know most die-hard fans won't like that, because it means the 4e/5e time has always been the 'now', and everything we fell in love with is the distant past, but its the only thing that makes everything fit together nicely.

EDIT: Oh, and as for their (Paizo's) other crossover to Earth in which you meet Rasputin, that would have all occurred around or soon after (a couple of decades) when the 1e/2e period was introduced to us (does someone have a precise date for that Toril/Earth portal?), so maybe right around the 3e/pre-4e era. I'd like to think Elminster was there... somewhere... perhaps having tea (or Vodka) in in a cafe in Saint Petersburg, watching those events unfold. Who knows... maybe HE was Rasputin's father. There is a familial look about them.

EDIT2: And taking this whole 'multiversal' thing a step further, the D&D product Gothic Earth Gazetteer would have been THE D&D Earth to which that portal lead, which means all those BBG's and what-not exist in the D&D version of Earth, lurking in the shadows (and gels rather nicely with the Cthulhu mythos and anything 'candlelight' from the WW/WoD lines).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Mar 2016 01:00:15
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  01:30:25  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
Although it wasn't a Forgotten Realms adventure, in Dragon #100, the adventure The City Beyond the Gate sent players to modern (I assume 1980s) London. Although it was a Greyhawk adventure, it references a prior article written by Ed Greenwood about adventuring in the 20th Century.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  03:56:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It has been theorized that the (D&D)Earth's 'present' is actual in the 1800's (there's a portal leading to it and that time) during the 1e/2e/3e period.

Thus when Elminster 'visits' the (D&D) Ed Greenwood, he is actually visiting him at some future point in time, telling him stories of 'Realms past'. When the OGB was released, that period was already part of Toril's history by over a century.

Thus, the newer timeline (4e/5e) should be the 'now', or close to it, and that explains why Ed is still alive and getting info from Elminster (otherwise, 4e/5e would be taking place one hundred years in OUR future, which would make it very hard to keep continuity with the setting's primary premise - that El visits Ed and tells him about the Realms... and then we get published books about it).

I know most die-hard fans won't like that, because it means the 4e/5e time has always been the 'now', and everything we fell in love with is the distant past, but its the only thing that makes everything fit together nicely.

We could just as readily assume that the 1-3 Realms is still happening right now, and for the 4E/5E stuff, we're tapping into a portal that leads to the future of the Realms.

Or we could assume that the flow of time fluctuates between the different universes, and so that a century there was only a couple of years for us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  13:46:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
As I said... most fans won't like it.

I am not a fan of 'wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey stuff'. I like time travel, but I like it to be concise and have rules. The 'time works differently' thing I can deal with with Faerie (Feywild these days), because of its nature, but I like the interactions between more stable planes to be more... stable. If not, we should should just toss out Brian James' entire 'Chronology of the Primes' (but I am NOT above using a mega, inter-dimensional cataclysm to put them 'out of sync' for one specific era).

For example, I found it rather intriguing that if we go with what I theorized above, it also means that both Aroden (Golarion) & Mystra disappeared around the same exact time, and it would also mean that the Spellplague happened at precisely the same time as the 'Grand Conjunction' in Ravenloft (which crossed into GH canon). It also means the 'Great War' and creation of the Mournlands (Eberron) also happened around that same time. You could even possibly tie it to the cataclysm in Krynn (although thats one setting where my knowledge is severely lacking). This is just the sort of 'mega event' I am talking about - one that sends perturbations throughout the Primes.

I blame the whole thing on Cross-Time Kangs.

The other problem with not saying it all happened 'in the past' of our own time is that it would mean (D&D) Earth is now somewhere around 2100 AD. That would mean Ed is dead, and we should no longer be receiving info about The Realms. I think figuring that out caused one of my bannings from the WotC site when I made that point after the 4e info came out ("WotC killed Ed Greenwood!" lol).

Unless the D&D Ed isn't human. He could have had his brain transferred to a robot, or got cloned, or he had 'fey blood' all along, etc., etc.... the possibilities are endless.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  14:12:58  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
Just a few minor points of clarification about Golarion:

1. It exists in the same prime material plane as fictitious 1921 Earth. So far the general idea is that Earth 1921 is amazingly distant from Golarion and perhaps even in a different galaxy.
2. Distant Worlds (http://paizo.com/products/btpy8qib?Pathfinder-Campaign-Setting-Distant-Worlds) provides explanations as to why the Plane Shift trick (to the Outer Planes then back to the prime to another planet or galaxy) or Greater Teleport spells do not work when trying to go to another planet, galaxy, etc. within the same Prime. Basically, it's something about the infinity property of planes and kinda the same reason why you never know where you'll arrive when you say, Plane Shift to an Outer Plane. Plane Shifting back to the prime thus usually brings you back to the same point you exited in the first place (i.e. Golarion, if this is your homeworld, as opposed to Earth 1921 or some other planet around the Golarion sun)
3. As of the Second Darkness adventure path, and later reaffirmed via Distant Worlds, the spell "Interplanetary Teleport" is required to access different planets or galaxies within the same Prime. It is a 9th level spell, and the general principle in the Pathfinder game is that you'll never be able to replicate a certain spell or effect with a lower level spell or effect, hence the impossibility of doing the Plane Shift trick or Greater Teleport trick. The only other canon method to go to other planets in the Golarion solar system is via the permanent elf gates located in Kyonin.
4. Certain people have theorized that Greater Teleport has a certain range limit, and that if you can cast it at will, and if you are able to cast it in a vacuum, you could in theory use it to go to distant places (i.e. you look up to the moon, cast it, and appear somewhere in between, in space, cast it again, and again, and again, and again, and then at some point your appear standing on it). This is just fan-made theory at this point and not official Pathfinder lore (i.e. good for home campaigns if you feel like it). My opinion is that it cheapens Interplanetary Teleport and the elf gates.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2016 :  17:52:42  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
For those who wonder, yes, certain monsters have the natural ability to fly in space: (note the various flight speeds...)

Starflight (Su) A mi-go can survive in the void of outer space. It flies through space at incredible speeds. Although exact travel times vary, a trip within a single solar system normally takes 3d20 months, while a trip beyond normally takes 3d20 years (or more, at the GM’s discretion)—provided the mi-go knows the way to its destination.

Starflight (Ex) An oma can survive in the void of outer space, and soars through vacuum at incredible speed. Although exact travel times vary, a trip between two planets within a solar system should take 3d20 days, while one to another system should take 3d20 weeks (or more, at the GM’s discretion), provided the oma knows the way to its destination.

Starflight (Ex) In outer space, an outer dragon (i.e. lunar, solar, time, void or vortex dragon) can survive in the void and fly at incredible speed. Travel times vary, but a trip within a single solar system should take 3d20 hours, and a trip beyond should take 3d20 days or more if the dragon knows the way to its destination. An outer dragon can carry one rider of one size category smaller than itself, four passengers two sizes smaller, eight passengers three sizes smaller, or 16 passengers four or more sizes smaller. Passengers are protected from the void of outer space.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  00:25:04  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message
quote:

Unless the D&D Ed isn't human. He could have had his brain transferred to a robot, or got cloned, or he had 'fey blood' all along, etc., etc.... the possibilities are endless.

Ed's workload alone means that he isn't human...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  14:15:09  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

OR he's into that whole outsourcing to China thing... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  19:58:00  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Could be clones of Ed or he's part of the Borg Collective. Tough to say!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  23:02:33  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:

As long as it doesn't end in "Greenwood wars"...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2016 :  23:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
quote:

There is that Stasis Clone spell of Manshoon's...

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2016 :  03:29:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

It's obvious that both Larloch and Manshoon are based on Ed. He's got a bunch of clones of himself, all stashed in his basement, constantly cranking out material!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2016 :  03:45:08  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

what would the older surviving demons and devils consider some of the most legendary events in the Blood War?

Have devils and demons ever put aside their hatred for desire or "love" for one another. If yes, has any offspring creature come from such a union?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  12:48:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:

It's obvious that both Larloch and Manshoon are based on Ed. He's got a bunch of clones of himself, all stashed in his basement, constantly cranking out material!

And now you have me picturing Ed in Michael Keaton's place in the movie Multiplicity.

"You know how when you make a copy of a copy, it's not as sharp as... well... the original."

Now he can blame some of his not-so-stellar bits on that guy.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  18:49:47  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Simulacrums. Clones fight each other.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  20:03:05  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
quote:

And now you have me picturing Ed in Michael Keaton's place in the movie Multiplicity.

"You know how when you make a copy of a copy, it's not as sharp as... well... the original."

Now he can blame some of his not-so-stellar bits on that guy.

That's how I imagined it was well, although without the genetic defects. But multiple versions of Ed cooperating rather than competing. There was a good stretch back in the day when Ed was churning out tons of Realms lore.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2016 :  19:47:24  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi all,

Sorry if the question has been asked. Can Ed share with us any words about "accent" in Realms languages ? Is the common tongue spoken by an Amnian recognizable from a Watherdhavian common, etc ?

Thanks in advance
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  02:49:18  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Is Hartsvale still around? Is the Hartwick family still in good stead and ruling?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Azuth
Senior Scribe

USA
404 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2016 :  05:18:08  Show Profile  Visit Azuth's Homepage Send Azuth a Private Message
Lady In the Hood:

I know I've asked this before, but I'm at a crossroads (literally) in my campaign and I'm uncertain how to proceed, and seek Ed's guidance. It's fair to say without spoiling things too much that Candlekeep is in a state of...disrepair...at the end of The Herald and yet in the latest quasi-Sourcebook it seems as if all is well and good there. One of my players wants to seek lore from the lore masters of Candlekeep and I'm not certain of its state, or if they're accepting petitioners right now. I suspect that part or all of a direct answer is covered by NDA, but can Ed provide any insight as to whether or not the Keep is accepting petitioners (or even better, in any condition to accept petitioners) in the current official campaign year? I can rough in the details from there, but (and I) don't like avoiding things simply because they're not covered in source books, yet we equally dislike when new, published novels contradict what's happened in the game.

Thank you, most beloved THO, for any illuminations you might provide.

Azuth, the First Magister
Lord of All Spells

The greatest expression of creativity is through Art.
Offense can never be given, only taken.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2016 :  21:37:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Happy Easter Ed and THO.

Wishing you both a great day with family and friends!
Go to Top of Page

Eli the Tanner
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2016 :  14:36:47  Show Profile  Visit Eli the Tanner's Homepage Send Eli the Tanner a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

I was curious as to whether there is a connection between Ruatheene of the Zhentarim and Rautheene from Ed's armour-squeezed visits of the Wizard's Three?

Cheers
-Eli the Tanner

Moderator of /r/Forgotten_Realms
Go to Top of Page

see
Learned Scribe

235 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2016 :  01:30:48  Show Profile Send see a Private Message
quote:

I note pages 117-118 of the 1st edition Manual of the Planes establish that there are plenty of alternate Primes which have the same physical and magical factors as any given version of the Forgotten Realms (0,0), and temporal factors ranging from 1 (continents and species similar, societies and individuals different) to -7 (very similar except it exists up to a millennium in the past or future).

Which is to say, whatever Realms that the Elminster that visits Ed Greenwood is from (and are we really sure there's only one Eliminster, instead of several different ones?), there's also one, right now, that's 1357 DR and described accurately by the Old Gray Box.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  00:24:26  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message
Ed, what's the general attitude towards trans characters in the Realms? Are there big regional differences?

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  00:42:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Ed, what's the general attitude towards trans characters in the Realms? Are there big regional differences?

Seconding this. It's extremely relevant right now. Also Ed, do you have any details on how trans people transition in the Realms, socially and physically? (Myself and a few of my trans friends have been debating this endlessly!)

THO once said she'd post how trans people are referred to in the Realms, but I don't think it ever happened.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2016 :  02:08:26  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Ed has said in the past that the GENERAL attitude is that all aspects of sexuality are tolerated pretty much everywhere - they are neither encouraged nor discouraged. On the other hand, local prejudices vary widely, especially in human dominated areas as, unfortunately, prejudice is a very human thing.

Factors are usually religious in nature, based upon the doctrine of the church that has dominance in that area, yet the priesthoods of practically every god actively avoid discrimination.

Out in the wilderness, anything goes, conversely, the bigger the settlement, the more accepting/willingly uncaring the residents are, meaning one would only have to worry about adhering to an intolerant status quo in small communities. Even in small, religious communities, matters like this are rarely a big deal due to the nature of worship in the Realms (i.e. practically everybody on a basic level is polytheistic) and the fact that there are much bigger things to worry about such as rampaging orc hordes and the like.
-------
That's what Ed's said in the past (about 4 years ago). On a personal note, you have to remember that magic has been available for millennia that would allow a transgender person to relatively easily become the sex that they wanted to be. In our world, the ability to change sexes is a VERY new technology and our culture hasn't had the time to catch up as they have in the Realms.

That's not to say a Crinti matriarch wouldn't consider punishing a man who used magic to transform into a woman for example - she might erroneously believe that they were trying to rise above their station. A Vremmyoni might possibly have to remain as such if he transitioned but on the whole, I think the majority of people wouldn't even notice if someone who's transformed into the opposite sex wasn't born that way.

Edit: In the last hour, Ed posted his reaction on Facebook to some of the negative reactions to the trans NPC in Baldur's Gate: Seige of Dragonspear.

https://www.facebook.com/TheEdVerse

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 06 Apr 2016 04:14:40
Go to Top of Page

Thieran
Learned Scribe

Germany
293 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2016 :  14:44:16  Show Profile Send Thieran a Private Message

Dear Ed,
I have been away from Candlekeep for quite a while now, but I came back here just to tell you how much I appreciate your statement regarding the 'controversy' surrounding Siege of Dragonspear. Kudos to you!
This is one of the occasions where one can clearly see why the Realms, created by you, are such a great place.
Thanks and best wishes from Germany,
Thieran
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2016 :  20:56:58  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message
Hi Ed

Quick and probably off limits question here but would you care to speculate the name (or title, i.e. the unseen, or of the Great Spear) of the last of the Seven Lost Gods tackled by Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul.

Your faithful realmsian servant (who is currently adding a spit and polish to Netheril The First Age and eventually all the way up to the Shadowed Age).

Gary

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Clegane
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  06:31:08  Show Profile Send Clegane a Private Message
To Ed or THO,

I would like to ask some questions about Madeiron Sunderstone. How did he get the surname Sunderstone? Was it something that was assumedd based on life experience or was it a name brought from his homeland of Hartsvale?

Being a direct line descendant of the giant demigod the Hartkiller and the first King of Hartsvale Brun, he possessed the great size but did also he possess the same supernatural strength that manifested in the royal Hartwick line?

Did he consider his lineage consequential? Was it something he shared with Piergerion or his friends? Would it have any impact on how they felt about him? Did he ever lament being separated from his homeland? At what age and circumstances did he leave Hartsvale and come south to the Inner Sea? Did an experience draw him to being a Paladin and serving Tyr or was it based on the nature of his personality?

Did he and Piergeiron become acquainted before Piergeiron became the Open Lord? Were they of a similar age to each other? Did Madeiron work his way into becoming the Open Lord's champion?

Thank you much!

Clegane
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2016 :  18:12:54  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
Ed,

Can you please shed some light on the unnamed tanar'ri lord that Alustriel, Lynx and Tulrun abandoned Silverymoon to go fight in 876 DR? I know you never specifically said tanar'ri lord, but Eric Boyd did in an issue of Polyhedron.

I figure it must have been a big deal for Alustriel to have up and left her beloved city, taking all of her apprentices with her, to go start a fight with a demon.

Secondly, I know I asked this during a particularly busy time in your career, but did you ever ponder on my query of November 2014?

quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Most generous sage of sages, I am curious.

What ever happened with the drow infiltration of Scornubel detailed in Silverfall?
Also, did you ever come up with some more detail on Telnarquel, mentioned in the same tome, such as anything remarkable about it before it was abandoned (other than its seclusion of course).

Thank you as ever for listening to our incessant queries and thank you to the lovely THO for delivering your responses and gracing us with her presence.

Wow, that sounded toadier than I intended.

As always, you magnificent, magnanimous man, you have my heartfelt thanks and I wish you and Jenny the best.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000