Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Portals leading to Undermountain ~1350 DR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  07:56:00  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I understand (vaguely) that Undermountain goes through some changes in the various D&D edition-shifting events (Spellplague, Sundering, etc.) but I'm only interested in the timeline before those events. I did a search for Portals/Undermountain and found an interesting (though ultimately not useful right now) scroll regarding portals in Faerun, but they were all leading to various Outer Planes, not jumping around the continent itself.

Does anyone know of any canonical entrances that would lead into Undermountain, preferably the earlier levels, that aren't physical descents in and around the Waterdeep area? I thought there was at least one gate somewhere in the Anauroch Desert, but I might just be pulling that out of the blue.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  18:11:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd thought these portals were always opening, closing, and moving around at Halaster's whim? As in, a portal would never be exactly where you expected it to be - nor would it would ever go exactly where you expected it to go - unless he chose to create or maintain a portal there.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2015 :  20:20:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly.
Check out the Halls of the Beast Tamers mini-adventure in the Old Gray Box (FR "zero"), the original Realms boxed set. It's in the ruins of Myth Drannor, and contains a gate ("portal") leading to the uppermost main level of Undermountain (the same level the shaft in the Yawning Portal leads down into).
There are others I know of through Realmsplay in the home campaign with Ed as DM, but I'm not sure right at the moment (and am away from home and my game library) how many of these made it into published, canon Realmslore.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  02:33:15  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good info from both of you, thanks. As for the portal leading from the Ruins of Myth Drannor... yikes, that's like an "out of the frying pan, into the fire" situation. I'm looking for an origin point slightly less lethal to tempt lower level adventurers. I suppose nobody will know if I move that MD portal out just a bit to a remote area of the Cormanthor Forest, but I do like to stick with canon whenever possible. I'll keep poking around, but thanks for the input both!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  05:04:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure some portals like that were described in the first Ruins of Undermountain boxed set...

Since it is canon that Halaster likes to move portals around, you can pretty much drop one wherever you need it without violating canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  10:42:59  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recall a gate from Undermoutain to Dhedluk in Cormyr from one of the adventure of the Undermoutain I box set.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2015 :  21:58:45  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

I recall a gate from Undermoutain to Dhedluk in Cormyr from one of the adventure of the Undermoutain I box set.

I think that encounter/adventure was on one of the smaller card-stock inserts in the box.

Edit:

The adventure is "The Killing Tree" in the Undermountain Adventures booklet.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 31 Dec 2015 00:03:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000