Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Just getting started. Suggestions?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

folclor
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  19:21:15  Show Profile Send folclor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello! So! I've been trying to dive into the Forgotten Realms books as my interest was piqued due to a campaign I'm involved in.

I've read the Avatar series (Shadowdale, Tantras, Waterdeep, Prince of Lies, and Trial of Cyric) and am halfway through Canticle, intending to read the Clerical Quintet in its entirety. Any suggestions on where to go from there?

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  20:46:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you have a particular geographical area you would like to see? Or a character class (wizard, warrior, etc) you would like to see a story about?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

folclor
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  21:01:30  Show Profile Send folclor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I just want to learn about everything. I mean, I know most about Cormyr and Thay due to the campaign, but I just wanna learn about everything.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2015 :  21:52:10  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can really start anywhere. Some of the trilogies/series connect to each other, but many don't. However, the more Realms novels you read, the greater your understanding of the setting as a whole, which is really fun.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  04:24:12  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet: Island of Elves is a great source of history of the elves, if you're interested in that. Really, any books by Elaine Cunningham are good. Note that these are all older series. The Comyr books are good for history, too.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

folclor
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  22:27:23  Show Profile Send folclor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh really? Amazing! I'll look into those!
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2015 :  16:36:41  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would recommend the Finder's Stone trilogy, as well as Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale novels. And, as Corellon'sDevout has already suggested, anything by Elaine Cunningham.
Go to Top of Page

folclor
Acolyte

Canada
7 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2015 :  20:27:40  Show Profile Send folclor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay! I'll go on a library run sometime this week. This is so exciting. I can't wait to learn more!
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2015 :  23:49:31  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

I would recommend the Finder's Stone trilogy, as well as Paul S. Kemp's Erevis Cale novels. And, as Corellon'sDevout has already suggested, anything by Elaine Cunningham.

Hmm So Elaine Cunningham's books seem to be highly rated. Which of her books would you recommend as a "Realms Starter" book?

(I know enough about the FR setting within the D&D game. But next to nothing as far as paperback Realms novels go).
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  06:29:03  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

Hmm So Elaine Cunningham's books seem to be highly rated. Which of her books would you recommend as a "Realms Starter" book?

(I know enough about the FR setting within the D&D game. But next to nothing as far as paperback Realms novels go).

Well, I would recommend starting with Elfshadow, the first book in Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords series, and, as far as I know, the first FR novel Elaine ever wrote. It is easily one of the best FR novels ever, IMHO.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  11:07:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I would recommend starting with Elfshadow, the first book in Elaine Cunningham's Songs and Swords series, and, as far as I know, the first FR novel Elaine ever wrote. It is easily one of the best FR novels ever, IMHO.

I got that for Christmas 1991, and read the entire book that same day. There aren't a huge number of books I can say I first read in one day, but they were all books I just couldn't put down.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000