Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Inconsistent Maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Divinity
Acolyte

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2021 :  19:04:44  Show Profile Send Divinity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

So how much would you charge for a few smaller, regional maps of say ... Impiltur?

-- George Krashos

Hey George,
I'd be happy to work with you on something if you have an interest. Last Aug we sent a couple emails and you mentioned an interest in an Impiltur map; I offered to help but never heard back. Whenever you want to chat about it just shoot me a message. finesse_16@hotmail.com

-Craig

My Faerūn Continent Map

Edited by - Divinity on 08 Jan 2021 19:05:41
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6064 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2021 :  02:46:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Divinity

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

So how much would you charge for a few smaller, regional maps of say ... Impiltur?

-- George Krashos

Hey George,
I'd be happy to work with you on something if you have an interest. Last Aug we sent a couple emails and you mentioned an interest in an Impiltur map; I offered to help but never heard back. Whenever you want to chat about it just shoot me a message. finesse_16@hotmail.com

-Craig

I am interested Craig, just don't need them right at the minute hence the .

I'll be in touch in a bit.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Jan 2021 02:47:11
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2021 :  11:32:07  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ George Krashos

Can you legally make maps of WotCs intellectual property and then charge money for it? I know you have had a business relationship with them in the past, but is that still extant?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
34467 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2021 :  15:20:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

@ George Krashos

Can you legally make maps of WotCs intellectual property and then charge money for it? I know you have had a business relationship with them in the past, but is that still extant?

Mike Schley does, but I suspect it was part of the deal when they commissioned him -- "make these maps for our books, and then you can sell them yourself."

And going through the DM's Guild would make it legal, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4541 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2021 :  15:36:51  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In general as I understand copyright law, you can not copy a map. There however appears nothing that prevents others making a map from available data.

There was one lawsuit concerning copyright of a map. https://www.npr.org/sections/krulwich/2014/03/18/290236647/an-imaginary-town-becomes-real-then-not-true-story discusses it some.

So it clearly appears it is possible to make maps, just not copy them. One should check with an attorney though if planing on income from any made map. Might be required to state source of map data for example.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6064 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2021 :  03:01:13  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElfBane

@ George Krashos

Through the DMs Guild I can. Not planning to sell maps on the side.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2021 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000