Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Candlekeep Education, Sorcerers' Lore & Ireland
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Archaos
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  17:08:29  Show Profile Send Archaos a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings honored scribes.

If not obvious by my post count, I am new here but I have been reading information I needed for a few years now.

This time, I have a few questions that I couldn't find the answer to anywhere else. Maybe because it doesn't exist or it's vague on purpose.

1) Can people go to Candlekeep to get educated during the 3E lore era? Pre-Spellplague and such.

Could an arcane academy (for wizards or sorcerers) give recommendation and send them to study in Candlekeep, like some form of college or university perhaps?

2) What would be the most accurate location for the equivalent Ireland in Faerun?
I know it's supposed to be the Moonshae Isles as the general United Kingdom.
But which one would be Ireland?

2.1) Would Illuskan be Irish-like in accent? Perhaps mixed with Scottish?
Can someone elaborate on that?

3) We all know Wizards get new spells roleplaying-wise from scrolls and studying. They study a spell and learn how to memorize it.

How do Sorcerers choose, lore-wise, which individual spell they learn?
Is it some kind of trance? Power of will? Can they consciously say "I am a Sorcerer and I want to learn this spell" and then they acquire it "permanently"?
What is the In-Character mental process Sorcerers go through when they put a spell in their list, during in-game level up?

I would appreciate your insight for any of these.

To make it clearer, I'm interested in 3E lore for all of the above.

Edited by - Archaos on 04 Dec 2015 18:23:23

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  18:00:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I spent a fair bit of time working on reinventing the moonshaes so I can answer question 2 from my own version.

The illuskan/Northmen would probably approximate best to the Viking accent/language since that is the real world analogue.
As for Ireland, I think I made snowdown Ireland and moray Scotland but I will double check and get back to you (or you can check out alternate dimensions 8 and 9 in my sig for yourself). I definitely used names from Breton, Wales, Ireland and Scotland for each island to give them their own flavour

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  18:52:49  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I can tell you there is no one Irish accent but several dialects. For such a small country we have many different dialects. Also we don't sound like they have us portrayed in Hollywood movies.

It's really hard to put a particular dialect on an area in the Realms.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Edited by - Shadowsoul on 04 Dec 2015 18:53:22
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  21:59:25  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

Well I can tell you there is no one Irish accent but several dialects. For such a small country we have many different dialects. Also we don't sound like they have us portrayed in Hollywood movies.

Yeah, even my ear could pick out some differences in the accent range on the island. Belfast sounded different from Castlemaine, for sure.

No one talked like a phony movie Irishman, although I wonder if maybe that affected accent is a stage exaggeration of the way people in Kerry speak. Not sure.

But Hollywood flicks and also TV shows have also been known to mess up several native North American accents and dialects all the time. A generic and quite phony "Southern accent. " And it is not just the accent, but also diction, idiom, etc. Stuff that no one from the region would ever really say, like the use of " y'all" in the singular. Little or no distinction between the Upper and Deep South.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  23:03:51  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic

quote:

Yeah, even my ear could pick out some differences in the accent range on the island. Belfast sounded different from Castlemaine, for sure.

No one talked like a phony movie Irishman, although I wonder if maybe that affected accent is a stage exaggeration of the way people in Kerry speak. Not sure.

But Hollywood flicks and also TV shows have also been known to mess up several native North American accents and dialects all the time. A generic and quite phony "Southern accent. " And it is not just the accent, but also diction, idiom, etc. Stuff that no one from the region would ever really say, like the use of " y'all" in the singular. Little or no distinction between the Upper and Deep South.

Co. Donegal and the North have their own unique accent. Instead of saying No it would be more "Ni".

Lot's of people out west would have a bit of an "sh" on their words such as "wesht" for "west". The Cork accent is a strange one as well.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  00:52:44  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic

quote:

I just love all these "New Orleans" TV people who call everyone "Cher". You might get someone who is goofing off that might call a woman "mon Cher".... and that's a MIGHT... but I have never heard anyone in the last 30 years use that phrase. Now, way down in the bayou where the Cajuns who speak French are.... maybe... but not in big easy.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  01:12:44  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For #2: I've always thought the Moonshae Isles are as close to an Ireland as you are going to get...though it is more Scots-Irish.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  21:14:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a look over what I did with the Moonshaes. I found a few sources that pointed to two migrations of ffolk tribes settling the Moonshae Isles one after the other. One group left the sword coast around baldurs gate (the shyffolk), another group (the tallffolk) left the sword coast north of the cloud peaks.

The crowning of Callidyrr Hugh and Cymrych Hugh was a bit confusing because they were from Gwynneth and united Gwynneth first before using that to crown themselves king of callidyrr.

That meant the two tribes were likely related (or at least a few clans in those tribes were related), and so that relation could allow dynastic troubles later when High King Gwylloch and his son tried to claim the kingship of Corwell (which was created after the kingship of callidyrr).

Long story short, I used the name Cymrych and a few of the place names to decide that Corwell and the shyffolk were welsh in origin. Callidyrr and the tallffolk were therefore the irish part, and moray was obviously Scottish (Moray being a region of Scotland at one time I believe).

Snowdown was part settled by shyffolk and tallffolk and so was a mixture of irish and welsh.

The other islands (norland, Oman's Isle) at one time had a ffolk presence but these were eliminated by northmen invaders) I think I used Breton and Brythonic names for these islanders.

Of course when I refer to names the only people I ever bothered to name were the ancient kings. In more modern history the ffolk mingled with tethyrians to varying degrees per island so the names have become more mainland faerunian over time.

Callidyrr and Snowdown have no almost completely lost their old tallffolk (irish) naming conventions and identity. Indeed I decided that Snowdown had completely lost its celtic/fey magical nature that permeates all the islands of the moonshaes. Snowdown is now like mainland faerun and belongs firmly to the humans, whereas elsewhere the humans still have to contend with nature and the fey for survival.
Its kind of a story of urbanisation and civilisation versus the fey and mystical creatures.

Of course that's just what I did with it. I didn't like how the novels and other events removed just about every interesting conflict going on in the moonshae islands, so I undid that and allowed people to play through those conflicts. Its all pre spellplague, but its very much an alternate version, what the moonshae isles could have been.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  23:10:21  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) I think they do. Probably on recomendation from sages or wise mages known to Candlekeep scribes. There should be possibility to ask there directly but it would not include access to library itself for at least few years to discurage those trying to go around usual payment. There should certainly be cooperation with academies and universities.

2) For me Green island equivalent should be Evermeet. I do not know irish people to be able to tell their influence in realms.

3) Normal sorcerer is in my view "aspected" - his spells are in certain theme and as he grows in power he learns to use more of this power. This theme should be tied to his origin as for me most sorcerers are of magical origin (dragon, demon, elemental, ... blood in family). I have currently in my group one drow sorcereress who have her gift from Lolth and study magic closely so she has more control over her spells - I have also allowed her to prepare spells from spellbook (at +1 spell level) as she have been tought few levels by old wizard. So her theme is basicaly wizardry :-)
Go to Top of Page

Archaos
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  02:39:40  Show Profile Send Archaos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for your answers, Dalor and Wrigley.

Dazzlerdal, so it's safe to assume that the Ffolk in the Moonshae Isles are generally and approximately, the closest to RL Irish?
I also noticed that the image of the Illuskan, has the (stereo)typical characteristics of Irish people. (Blonde/red hair, white skin, blue/green eyes.)

For roleplaying purposes, is it safe to give them a perhaps generic and typical Irish-like accent (despite the various other RL accents and dialects, which is true for all languages)?
For example, the dwarves have the typical Scottish accent, if I am not mistaken. There are countless ones in RL but we're looking for generalities here, for roleplaying purposes.
Another example is Cormyr. I've seen people RPing Cormyrian characters with a French accent.

About Candlekeep, while it makes sense, officially it might not provide some form of extra education for those that wish it.
Though it seems, like Candlekeep would be the defacto location for people to go and get a higher form of education in the arcane Arts.
Since they would know and have information on more specifics and details.

This scholarly/wizardly approach for some Sorcerers is a very interesting theme.
What if someone was born with the powers of Sorcery and chose to develop those talents, instead of seeking to become a Wizard?
They would still be studious and enjoy the research process, even if they have no need of it.

But would they be able to influence the direction they want to go with their spells? Is it something they can control?
Perhaps it could work like a form of placebo effect, where wishful thinking would shift the path of their spells towards the direction they wanted?

Edited by - Archaos on 06 Dec 2015 02:40:58
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  14:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for the Candlekeep study - I do not believe that it should be place of higher study of magic. It is a place of knowledge - books, tomes, scrolls - you could glean wisdom from them but not much in sense of wizard degree. You could consider this place as RL huge library (like it probably was in Alexandria before it burned). Scholars from all world will come to study here but is is not a school but place of learning and contemplation.

For Sorcerers - I am always trying to not limit my players more than making sure it fits inside a direction that make sense to me. So if player wants a spell I only think about if it is within a theme (or close to it) and then work it out with the player if not. Main importance is that it will be fun for eveyone included in the game.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  19:57:05  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well if you are going to try and act out the illuskans then its probably easier to make them one of the accents of the celtic languages, mostly because I have no idea how a Scandinavian accent would sound.

I personally would make them distinct from the ffolk in accent primarily because the illuskans have a completely different point of origin to the ffolk (they came from gundarlun, tuern, and ruathym in ages past) as well as a different culture, different religion, and even a different language.

The blonde/red hair is probably more a link with Scandinavian than irish. You can almost see the historical parallels between dark ages Britain and the moonshae isles. The ffolk are the natives, and the illuskans are the Viking invaders.

I of course cannot do accents to save my life (they all sound indian or Jamaican) so I never bothered trying to figure out an accent for the people, instead using names and language for cultural identity.

I never really understood why dwarves have a Scottish accent (I suppose because both groups are so aggressive and dour), but Moray should almost certainly be Scottish as well. They are the most warlike of the ffolk (hiring themselves out as mercs to the other islands), they have more than a smattering of illuskan about them, and the names are just to close to Scottish to be ignored.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  22:30:48  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To the OP.

Are you by any chance going by the voice acting in Sword Coast Legends?

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2015 :  22:38:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've seen Candlekeep is the place to do research on a specific, known topic -- you've got to know what info you're after. For a general education, that would rely on tutors (if it could be afforded) or certain temples.

Ed has offered this, in the past:

quote:
Everyone can receive VERY basic instruction in tasks from local guilds (along the lines of “don’t do this, or you’ll blow yourself up/cut yourself; instead, call in the guild!”), in local lore from local courtiers/civic scribes (“that property belongs to Lhannath the miller, from the old dead felsul down to the creek; formerly it belonged to the weaver Rustragus, and before that - - I have all the dates here”), and from priests of almost all faiths about who the gods are, what their portfolios and beliefs are, where their temples and current civic projects are, and so on (with emphasis on the beneficial importance of their own faith, of course, but with very little “lying” propaganda; in the polytheistic Realms, it’s considered a sin by all to deceive about any faith).
There are “high” sages (researchers, too expensive for most folk below the wealthy merchant or guild level, and often consulted by rulers and nobles) and “low” sages (neighborhood shopkeepers who dispense small-scale information from their acquired knowledge and personal libraries; the former sort of learning tends to be very good, and the latter repeats any errors that might be in their books; most commoners hire low sages to tutor their children, on specific matters, building on what they can get for free from priests). The high sages are the ones who debate with each other, write chapbooks, and sponsor adventurers to recover lost books (or pay well for books brought to them “on spec”).
Much common knowledge is built up locally from gossip, rants and facts in chapbooks, and from talking with peddlers and caravans stopping in town overnight; minstrels and caravan workers make many coins carrying or delivering messages, and telling “the news” (sometimes colorful invented stories). That’s why caravans are so socially important in waystop settlements like Shadowdale.
Bards, heralds, and various faiths (particularly monastic orders) set up organized schools, but the vast majority of these are in large cities (e.g. Waterdeep and Silverymoon), and of these urban schools, the majority are “academies” (which function as what we could call “finishing schools” - - that is, although they impart lore, their primary purpose is to teach etiquette, deportment, an accent, fashion do’s and don’ts, a world-view, and so on, so as to aid in social climbing or success).
Private tutors are much used among the nobility, who often want to have their young disciplined without doing such distasteful work personally, AND want all the results of a good academy [see above] without “the rabble” knowing their little Launsarra went to Madame Theorla’s Peerless Academy of Social Quality [if Launsarra does turn up at such a place, it either means her family is too impoverished to hire a good tutor, or more likely Launsarra beats and terrorizes tutors, or even poisons them or pushes them off balconies, when her temper gets the better of her].
You are quite correct as to the origins of most tutors (add old impoverished nobles from elsewhere, plus retired military officers, to the list for weapons-training and discipline).
Yes, the larger guilds often establish tutors in more than just the “hands on” work of the guild, but these tend to be for guild members only, and not made known to the wider public at all. Some guilds “grow” this arm of their staff into private investigators (because they want to know what rival guilds are up to, courtiers are planning or thinking about them, and so on), and said staff often hire adventurers “of discretion” to handle the more dangerous eavesdropping, kidnapping, spying, and thieving assignments involved.
Lastly, the level of common education varies greatly from place to place, depending on the attitudes of rulers. In general, the trading places (such as Amn, Sembia, and Waterdeep) want a literate populace who can do basic math; it cuts down on cheating, unrest, and theft, and provides more customers hungry for “wonders from afar” and with coin enough to buy such things. Commoners in places with militias (such as Cormyr) are trained and drilled in local geography, map-reading, discipline and taking orders, the local chain of command/how to access local lords and their staff to report or demand things, how to read and write, how to draw way-symbols and interpret them, and so on. Purple Dragons get posted all over the realm, and so have a wider world-view and pick up all sorts of local lore, such as the brands used by local horse-breeders, where specific sorts of caravan-goods come from, and so on; as so many folk everywhere have done military or militia service, this gives most of the population a shared grounding in lore.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  19:02:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been thinking about point 3.

The whole sorcerer thing with innately casting spells that come from a bloodline was always a bit weird to me, surely only so much power can be stored in someone's blood (that was 3.5 explanation I believe).

Then in 4e we had warlocks which formed pacts with powerful beings in order to cast spells and that sounded a bit more plausible to me about gaining spells.

However if I remember rightly Ed has always had psionics in his realms, but its not the psionics of DnD (ie intellect fortress and other powers), instead his psionics were just magical abilities that were inherent to people and were known as wild talents and included any old spell (more than a few were mentioned in the volo's guides I believe), and I believe many of these wild talents manifested in those of Netherese ancestry.

Now I had always assumed these wild talents were best approximated to the spell like abilities of 3rd edition, but what if they could be developed with work and exploration. You would end up with the sorcerer class.

Of course this does pose problems about Jhaamdath since the lore surrounding it is built around the DnD version of psionics and not Ed's version of wild talents. Although the DnD psionics would easily fit into spells and Jhaamdath's people could have just had a predilection for manifesting telepathic and telekinetic wild talents, and then developing them far more than any other nation through self perfection.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  19:46:21  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, dwarves and Illuskans don't have Scottish or Irish accents in Realmslore.
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal
Now I had always assumed these wild talents were best approximated to the spell like abilities of 3rd edition, but what if they could be developed with work and exploration. You would end up with the sorcerer class.
Yes, the main thing that the sorcerer class represents in the Realms is powerful magical wild talents. But they aren't psionic -- the Invisible Art, what psionics is called in the Realms, is a distinct thing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  21:04:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I've been thinking about point 3.

The whole sorcerer thing with innately casting spells that come from a bloodline was always a bit weird to me, surely only so much power can be stored in someone's blood (that was 3.5 explanation I believe).

It's not that the power is in the blood -- it's the affinity for using magic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  21:43:21  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rules wise, Sorcerers generally get to pick and choose what spells they gain access to. Of course most players are going to pick useful spells over picking ones that match their bloodline. Pathfinder takes sorcerers a step further and gives them minor abilities that are associated with their chosen bloodline. They make it matter which bloodline you choose. I like this because it "flavors" the sorcerer to that specific source of magic.
Now my preference, if I were playing a sorcerer would be to go all out and make his magic tell his story. For example I'd LOVE to play a Kobold Sorcerer who is devoted to the idea that the blood of the red dragons flows thru him. Every spell he casts is somehow related to Red Dragons. I'd pick every fire spell I could, pick up fly of course, and I'd work with my DM to flavor the spells a bit. For example perhaps Burning Hands is a fan of fire from his mouth rather than his hands, and his Fireball is spit from his mouth like a breath weapon. Oh and the Fear spell!!! My little Kobold MUST have the Dragon Fear and make big bads flee from his ominous presence!!! Then the day finally arrives and he can cast Shape Change... if he survives that long my little Kobold Sorcerer may just spontaneously explode from the glee...
THAT's what I see a sorcerer being, not someone who just picks out some spells they can cast without memorizing.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2015 :  11:41:29  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as where Ireland would be - take a look at the map of the Moonshaes. They roughly fit into a borken up portrayal of the British Isles and the other islands thereabouts thus:

Sunset would either be a broken off piece of southern Ireland (Munster), or, as I see it because it is where my great-grandfather came from - an out of proportion counterpart to the Arran Islands
Norland and Moray make up what would be Ireland.

The 3 Norheim Isles make up Northern Ireland

Alaron makes up Scotland and northern England (York area)

The Islands to the East of the Northwind Straight (Dragonshome, the islands with Rottesheim and Graystaad and 2 others)make up the Hebrides.

The Korinn Archipelago would be Ortney, Mintarn would be Shetland, and Rauthym would be Iceland (I realize I've strayed from the British Isles and the Moonshaes, but the parallels are too clear to not state)

Gwyneth and Snowdown make up Wales and England

Oman's Isle is an out of proportion Isle of Mann (The name is a big hint there :P)

You can take this a step further and draw out parallel cities as well. Westphal is about where London is, Corwell is about where Bristol is located, Wyrmgate is at Plymouth, Elysyrr is Cardiff, Storaad is Liverpool... and on and on.

I definitely recommend the FR Atlas for maps.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2015 :  11:42:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As far as the Irish accent, it is like any other accent - it has a hundred local variations and it is pretty much impossible for people from Ireland to hear that it is any accent at all. Nevertheless, it is very distinct, and so its called the irish brogue (which actually just means heavy accent :P )
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000