Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Rillifane hook help
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

shimmertook
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  23:43:42  Show Profile Send shimmertook a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A player of mine has recently decided to explore being a cleric of Rillifane instead of Corellon, claiming the chorus of the Seldarine was always his patron, but as he gains experience the melody of Rillifane sings louder than the harmony of the other god kin. I'm liking the idea, but I want to hook him and blend some of the current story elements to this change.

At the moment I'm doing my own version of Rise of Tiamat, actually attempting to do something of a prequel, where the "chosen" of Tiamat finds the existence and locations of the Dragon Masks, and hopefully somehow delivers this information to the Dark Lady herself by the end.

I have the church of Tiamat in factions/tributaries, and they are dealing with the Blue Breath at the moment, all home grown, but I began describing them as consuming some form of metal filings and bolting silver like grafts to their bodies.

I'm wondering now, that they've taken down one of the major Blue Breath members with this cultish affinity for painfully patching himself with metal plates, there might be a tie in to help with my cleric's change to an elven god of nature. So I was thinking maybe the metal wasn't silver, but some form of blasphemous use of forest wood—my first thought was maybe ironwood could be refined into "ironsteel" or something and impart magical strengths—but I was wondering if there are other ideas out there from more experienced FR enthusiasts that might do the job already. Is there a forest element that Rillifane protects where the cult of Tiamat might abuse, inciting the cleric to mark them as an enemy of the seldarine? I'm really just looking for ideas rooted in established FR lore too, since I know he enjoys ties to established canon.

Thanks for any feedback!

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2015 :  00:49:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe some natural material that has to be used in the preparation and/or patching of those metal plates? Maybe a particular herb or resin is needed, perhaps in large quantities, and Rilly objects to it being used for something like that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  13:37:06  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe the Cult of Tiamat requires the flesh of elves or fey? Unicorn horn is cliched up the ying-yang, but it does the job.

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2015 :  15:40:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Khaelieth

Maybe the Cult of Tiamat requires the flesh of elves or fey? Unicorn horn is cliched up the ying-yang, but it does the job.

That's a good point. Demihuman Deities will list the critters that Rillifane favors. If his favorite critter has to be killed as part of the process, Rilly will not be amused.

Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  16:37:14  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about using Living Metal? You can find the full details on page 179 of Magic of Faerun.

...Powerful sources of life energy, such as druid circles or sites holy to Chauntea, sometimes leech energy into the soil, which changes the properties of the iron buried nearby...

...Over time, armour made of living metal naturally shapes itself to fit its wearer...

There's more in Magic of Faerun.

Can you imagine the Elven response to mining this material??

Sounds like a cool character, this Cleric of Rillifane

Edited by - Farrel on 07 Dec 2015 16:45:39
Go to Top of Page

shimmertook
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  19:11:01  Show Profile Send shimmertook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your great feedback. Demiihuman Deities has a lot of extra material and I didn't know it was out there. Living Metal is a GREAT canonical option, and so that might be perfect for this situation. Thanks again all.
Go to Top of Page

shimmertook
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  22:02:59  Show Profile Send shimmertook a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question, and I see this could be completely subjective, but would you think that special materials like these would be something that Detect Magic would register as magical? Would something like Living Metal be magical, or natural? Just wondering what your thoughts might be…thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2015 :  23:09:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My opinion is things won't register as magical unless someone has come along and dumped magic into them. I read the bit on living metal, but it's still kinda sorta naturally occurring.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000