Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tharsult Illithids and Drow
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2017 :  17:38:50  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, I have never even heard of Angrimm. That fact alone with a lot of "orphan" outposts makes a lot of sense. And overcoming the Faerzress woud make this an ideal, defensible location for the Drow, with or without tunnels.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4740 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2017 :  11:33:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT2: The entrance to Hammerfast is literally right at the bottom of Mt. Hotenow.

The place is right on top of Gauntlgrym, and yet the two have no connection. Thats not just... weird... it should be impossible.

George! Get over here immediately and fix this! Bring Eric! Hurry!

Well, they have no connections now. In the disaster of the Orc Marches, Morinn the last dwarven king of Delzoun, ordered that all obvious surface and inter-settlement connections/access points between Gauntlgrym (the lower dwarven city) and places like Hammerfast - or to give it its dwarven name: Dorthderym [dorth = hammer; derym = keep] - be sealed up. This spelled the fate of Gauntulgrym (the upper human/dwarven city) but also indirectly the lower city as it had been the hub of dwarven activity west of Felbarr and had many access points. Sealing it off meant that it was no longer a viable settlement and after a short time it was abandoned. Places like Dorthderym, bereft of support from the clans, suffered the fate of many scattered, isolated dwarf holds throughout the history of the North in the wake of Delzoun's fall. It eventually died off or was conquered.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2017 :  19:25:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YAY! Krash to the rescue.

You can go into the phonebooth and take your tights & cape back off now.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Feb 2017 19:25:36
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  05:22:01  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Casts *** Raise Scroll ***

Didn't want to create a new thread for simple question - anyone have any idea what level Jhachalkhyn would be on? Upper, Middle, or Lower Dark? It appears on the map from DDUGttU, which doesn't give levels, but doesn't appear on the 3e Underdark map, which did.

I only came across this locale while searching the word 'Neverwinter' in the GHotR. I hadn't even known about it before (unless I just forgot - I did do a LOT of Drow research awhile back). This is the entry -
quote:
206 DR Year of Elfsorrows
Syglaeth Audark, last Coronal of Illefarn, is murdered by raiders from Jhachalkyn, a drow city deep beneath the southeastern Neverwinter Woods.

Of course, 'deep' is relative - even the Upper Dark could be considered 'deep'.

quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I'm half tempted to call Maeralyn the City of Mists. Lava or some form of thermal heat interacting with the cold drippings or cool stone that's underneath the ocean creating a perfect environment for the flayers etc.
Maybe not for Maeralyn, but t would be interesting to call Jhachalkyn that, considering its proximity to Neverwineter and Mt. Hotenow. If we piece together some of the other stuff the OP brought-up, it could be the Mindflayers were using the troops of Maeralyn to establish an outpost for themselves in The North. There may have been a mutually beneficial deal made there, which would go a long in explaining why such a far-off city would attack Jhachalkhyn.

Gauntlgrym and the reference to Mind Flayer's living there at one time (Gray Box was it?), maybe they had an inkling, knew about the Forge, sensed strong magic etc. Have a hold in Gauntlgrym and subvert the cattle in Jhachalkyn until something went wrong/right?

Unless Jhachalkyn found it first or fought over a "discovery" etc., and the war kicked off. Though it's drow, the reason for it could be almost anything.

Haven't thought about this one in a long time.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2017 :  05:47:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny, I just came across that reference about Gauntlgrym today - it was in The North box (pg.38).

It also states that it was WAY up north (and further east), somewhere near the Valley of Khedrun. I had wrote a little something here about portals (The Return Gate) in the magic shop thread, to try and help explain some of that weirdness. Dwarves are a very secretive lot, and the ones of Delzoun more than most. Thus, they didn't travel to Gauntlgrym by heading toward Gauntlgrym, they headed away from it, into that valley, to a Return Gate. If you read the write-up I did in that thread, basically, almost no-one using that gate would realize they had traveled through a portal, so just about everyone using that 'entrance' would think Gauntlgrym was located somewhere in that vicinity. They probably utilized quite a few gates like this, to connect Delzoun (and other dwarven kingdoms) together.

They may not be the best Mages, but they are the best artificers, and dwarves are known for their penchant for building extremely complex and powerful magical artifacts in folklore. Just slap a few runes around the thing (I'm picturing a Stargate LOL) and there you go.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Feb 2017 05:50:25
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1356 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2017 :  01:54:34  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I like that idea. Think they'd say Chevron 2 locked etc? Hehehe
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2017 :  16:16:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What comes around goes around...

I was reading through Dungeon Magazine #144, in order to get the Evermoor sites therein properly placed on my new map (so much fun, when that was done with the warped 3e maps). So having read through that and gotten my mapping objectives out of the way, I couldn't help but notice the very next adventure in that mag. was on for the Isle of Dread. I also couldn't help but notice its about Illithids*... under an island.

So just for shirts & giggles I sized the IoD map to an FR one, and it turns out the the IoD is just over two times the size of Tharsult, so it still fits just fine in that spot. In fact, even the climate fits fine in that spot - right near chult makes so much sense, IMO.

Map of about what that might look like

Now I know the Isle of Dread was (is?) officially in Mystara, but it later got 'moved' to Greyhawk. Hmmmm... a large piece of terrain that gets swapped between worlds? Sounds to me like it could have 'wandered' into FR in 4e (with the Spellplague and all). The 5e 'reset' to earlier geography makes it a wee bit harder, but not really.

Personally, I don't like losing anything when I map - I prefer 'additive design', but seriously, whoever used Tharsult? (and yes, I am aware five of you just raised your hands... out of a planet of 8 billion...) So, although I personally wouldn't place it there (I do have plans to place it in FR at a later time, in a new configuration with Chult, Abeir {Laerakond}, Lantan, and Nimbral... and possibly the Isle of the Ape and Jarkandor), there is no reason some enterprising DM couldn't use that adventure path in a 4e/5e conversion for FR. And since the other official settings seem to be shelved, and some of their stuff has been taken by FR in other products recently, why not just say the IoD wound-up on Abeir (the God's Self-Storage unit), and its in the same spot as Tharsult (they may have swapped during the Spellplague, and have now swapped back as of 5e) - that would mean you could say that "on certain nights", or "when weather conditions are just right" (during an electrical storm?), etc, etc... one can still sail to the Isle of Dread from FR.

So, the best of both worlds... literally.

*Okay, just looking through it closer, and I may have jumped the gun a bit. Its about Kopru - I saw the pic with the tentcales (not just the Kopru - there is this weird 'elder evil' thing called a Bilewretch that has the head of an illithid) around the mouth and just assumed...

Still, its an entire Underdark locale - The Lightless Depths - beneath an island, that includes MANY Underdark critters/races, including aboleth, so its not too much of a stretch to throw some illithids into the mix.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Mar 2017 18:23:55
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2017 :  19:04:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I keep coming back to this thread. {sigh}

Because of the side-conversation we had about "other sites beneath Neverwinter Wood", I've chosen to ask this here:

What the heck is Nurr Throth?

Its just south (and teensy bit west) of Gauntlgrym. I just bought Mike Schley's Underdark map (once again, to make sure I have EVERYTHING on my maps), and this is a new one on me. And its not in the (4e) Neverwinter Campaign Guide - it comes from the Out of the Abyss product, which I do not have, nor intend to purchase.

Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
539 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2017 :  23:02:12  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nuur Throth, the Great Door, is mentioned primarily in 3e's Underdark accessory, where it gets a write up. It's a large cavern housing an immensely powerful earth node. What's an earth node, you ask? No idea. There's also a tunnel connecting it to Gauntlgrym's lower halls.

As far as I'm aware (though I haven't read the adventure), it's not actually in Out of the Abyss. The map on Mike Schley's website has more sites than the map that actually made it into the product - this is a 3e-era site.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
13248 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  01:02:58  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, I even checked the 3e source map, and didn't see it... Uh-DOH!

Thanks for the heads-up.

The Neverwinter Underdark (The 'Neverdark'? Naw... doesn't sound right...) just keeps getting busier and busier.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31687 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2017 :  05:49:02  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Nuur Throth, the Great Door, is mentioned primarily in 3e's Underdark accessory, where it gets a write up. It's a large cavern housing an immensely powerful earth node. What's an earth node, you ask? No idea. There's also a tunnel connecting it to Gauntlgrym's lower halls.
Going from memory, it's probably an extension of the "Nodes-concept" introduced through 3e's Champions of Ruin.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000