Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Human ethnicities
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  15:26:45  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Calishites were modeled after the people of the Ottoman empire.

The Turami, making up the most of Turmish, are analogous to Africans.
Go to Top of Page

MTaylor
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  18:07:26  Show Profile Send MTaylor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sno4wy

I remember reading 'Azure Bonds' back in the day and Ackabar struck me as being more Middle Eastern than African. Also, they have Italian names...?

I assumed the culture was meant to be like Moorish Spain, sort of a mixture of Middle East and Europe...?
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2015 :  18:12:22  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If we read that set of analogies straight, it suggests:

Calishite is an adjective that can be used as a noun. Calimshan is a multiethnic empire with numerous religious groups in it, all under the rule of the pasha of Calimport. Calim was the name of a dynastic founder/empire builder figure(that last bit is actually canon, isn't it?)

Turami refers to geographic origin and not a unified culture. Every city and region within Turmish might have its own culture, some very different from common patterns. If northerners cannot tell all these mahogany skinned guys apart, that's because they do not understand the mix of cultures.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  01:29:27  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly find it weird how Mulan culture seemed to morph some how into other earthlike cultures as it drifted outwards.

It starts as a group of egyptian and mesopotamions who get kidnapped by the Imaskari who interbreed with both groups producing the Mulan who are a mix of Imaskar, Egyptians, and Mesopotamions who btw are made up of different groups and cultures to begin with, Upper & Lower Egypt, Ayssians, Babylonians, Summerians.

So like African Americans are a fusion of African cultures with european influences and blood as well, so to did the Mulan fuse into a single culture.

Then the Mulan's ancestoral Gods came along freed the Mulan, who break off into two camps, the Untherites and Mulhorandi based on which family of Gods one chose to serve.

So I'm assuming the Mulan's Gods reeducated them culturally become much of thier culture would have been destroyed by the Imaskar.

Then Mulhorand's colonies become Thay, which does retain cultural simularities like shaving ones head to Mulhorand, but Unther's colonies become Chessenta, which some how weirdly morphs into a greek culture instead of mesopotamion, with little influence on it culture from Unther. How or why is not explained.
And Morghom and Sephar was conqueored by Mulhorand, but seem to have not been influenced at all by Mulhorand.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  01:42:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had a theory for a while now that the Mulans's history resembles Jewish history then Egyptian or Mesopotamion.

You start off with people who are captured and enslaved by an evil empire and forced to serve it.

Just like how the Egyptians enslaved the Jews.

Then God/s intervene, sending mortal representive/s, in the Hebrews case Moses, in the Mulan's case the Untherite and Mulhorand Gods in mortal form.

Then they liberate the Hebrews/Mulan, and lead them across the desert to the holy land.

In time the Hebrews/Mulan end up with two homelands, Judeah and Isreal/Unther and Mulhorand.

Eventually that ends and forgieners invade and conqueor the area.

Then the second coming happens (or is predicted to happen), a massiah liberates the Jews.

The Messiah in the Mulan's case is the reborn Mulhorand pantheon and the Untherite God Gilgeam.
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  01:43:53  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I honestly find it weird how Mulan culture seemed to morph some how into other earthlike cultures as it drifted outwards.

It starts as a group of egyptian and mesopotamions who get kidnapped by the Imaskari who interbreed with both groups producing the Mulan who are a mix of Imaskar, Egyptians, and Mesopotamions who btw are made up of different groups and cultures to begin with, Upper & Lower Egypt, Ayssians, Babylonians, Summerians.

So like African Americans are a fusion of African cultures with european influences and blood as well, so to did the Mulan fuse into a single culture.

Then the Mulan's ancestoral Gods came along freed the Mulan, who break off into two camps, the Untherites and Mulhorandi based on which family of Gods one chose to serve.

So I'm assuming the Mulan's Gods reeducated them culturally become much of thier culture would have been destroyed by the Imaskar.

Then Mulhorand's colonies become Thay, which does retain cultural simularities like shaving ones head to Mulhorand, but Unther's colonies become Chessenta, which some how weirdly morphs into a greek culture instead of mesopotamion, with little influence on it culture from Unther. How or why is not explained.
And Morghom and Sephar was conqueored by Mulhorand, but seem to have not been influenced at all by Mulhorand.

Maybe the Mulan ancestors were Hellenistic type Egyptians and Mesopotamians? That allows for the Greek element.

YMMV= Your Mileage May Vary. I'm putting it here so I don't have to type it in every other post. :)

Edited by - combatmedic on 18 Nov 2015 01:46:39
Go to Top of Page

Brylock
Acolyte

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  01:52:11  Show Profile Send Brylock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually it was quite fashionable for many cultures contemporary to Egypt's various kingdoms to emulate and migrate to Egypt at times since it arguably was the single most politically stable region of the entire Mediterranian area for a time period longer then any other nation on Earth existed; the Greeks liked Egypt, the Romans like Egypt, and Egypt's neighbors liked Egypt too because to them Egypt seemed almost like an ageless fantasy kingdom to them I imagine, having massive monuments, fertile crops, a thriving middle class and populous cities and a continuing history going back over two thousand years, which remarkably stayed relatively unchanged except for updates here and there to their technology base and dynastic changes.

"It's almost like whenever you talk you flip through the dictionary and pull out words at random or something."
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  01:58:05  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calim was a Djinn, Memnon, another city within Calimshan, was founded by his hated rival Memnon, an Efreeti. They're battles created the desert.

They were locked into a crystal till the spellplague released them.

Eventually the Gods grew tired of thier crap and got rid of Calim and Memnon, so Calimport and Memnon were "ruled" by Genasi, but the Djinn/Efreets were the real power.

In the SCAG we learn that humans overthrow the Genies and now live aling side the Genasi.
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  02:29:54  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Calim was a Djinn, Memnon, another city within Calimshan, was founded by his hated rival Memnon, an Efreeti. They're battles created the desert.

They were locked into a crystal till the spellplague released them.

Eventually the Gods grew tired of thier crap and got rid of Calim and Memnon, so Calimport and Memnon were "ruled" by Genasi, but the Djinn/Efreets were the real power.

In the SCAG we learn that humans overthrow the Genies and now live aling side the Genasi.

Did Calim keep a seraglio of human women, the foremothers of many genasi?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  04:29:18  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Calim had all kinds of human slaves so I imagine so.
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  04:57:41  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Calim had all kinds of human slaves so I imagine so.

I imagine the women were well treated if he was of the usual alignment for a Djinni.

Probably most of his slaves received good treatment and enjoyed considerable freedom.

Edited by - combatmedic on 18 Nov 2015 05:00:08
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  19:57:42  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had always seen the Moonshaes rather simplistically as "FR Ireland". But after having visited Scotland this past summer I see a bit of that influence as well. Granted, there is no small amount of overlap between Scottish and Irish culture (oooh, them's fighting words to a Scot!) due to their Gaelic roots, in fact some people have trouble differentiating between the two accents. Also there's the undeniably Scandinavian Northmen that share the same vicinity, which hearkens to the real world Vikings that "cross pollinated" Irish and Scottish culture. These were the Norse-Gaels, and they dominated the Irish Sea region, which of course is the border between eastern Ireland and western Scotland.

Also it's been mentioned a lot of the Moonshae names sound more English, well being that Great Britain and Scotland/Wales share the same island, that's only natural too. So my old, simplistic view of the Moonshae Isles as FR: Ireland is now a much more diverse amalgam of Irish, Scottish, and English cultures with a dash of Norse thrown in to stir the pot.

In a semi-related topic, I did some research on the word "geas" - meaning a magical curse or enchantment that compels the recipient to fulfill a specific task or risk death/steady decline in health. I don't think any two players or authors have ever pronounced this word the same. Growing up I always thought it was a two syllable word sounding something like "JEE-ess". Then I heard "experts" pronouncing it exactly like the plural form of goose; "Geese" and I thought that was correct for a good time. I've read some other groups pronounce it like "Guy-us" or "Gay-us", also wrong.

Come to find out it depends on if you're more of a Scots-Gael or an Irish-Gael. To some it's spelled geis and pronounced "gesh". Suffering from multiple curses would pluralize as geisa and sound like "gesha". For others, geas is the right spelling but it sounds like either "goss" or "gas", depending on the speaker. Suffering from more than one would sound like "gossa" or "gassa".

Since I've gone completely off the tracks here I might as well share this: The Irish folk-hero Cuchulainn suffered from two geisa: one that stated he would die instantly if he ever ate dog meat, the other that he could never refuse food from a stranger or he would be slain outright. So his enemies hired an old crone to sit on the roadside with some cooked dog. As Cuchulainn passed by she offered him a piece. Well, if he refused he was dead. But by eating it he triggered the other geis, so what's a hero to do? The answer is that he died. Tough break.

Sorry for the mega-derail.

Edited by - VikingLegion on 18 Nov 2015 20:00:46
Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  20:06:36  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is there an area in FR that has a Polynesian/Maori influenced flavor?
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  20:37:22  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall a note someplace to the effect that the FFolk were a mixture of an original insular native race and immigrants from Tethyr.

Somebody mentioned Druids up thread. Ffolk Druids don't appear to have much in common with real druids. But they do perhaps resemble some Ro antic 19th Cnetury concepts and some neopagan stuff. A bit.

There is still a British Isles in the time of Norse invasions thing going on with the polytheist as the invading culture and the monotheists (well,more like monolatrists) as the native culture.

I once thought of placing paladin prince in Snowdon for a four or five way possible conflict in the Moonshaes

Lawful Good Paladin and his mainland/ lower Sword Coast influenced realm, where the Druids have become marginalized.

Kazgorthic Eeevil culties

True Neutral Druids and the Ffolk rulers under their influence

Whatever those wizard dudes are, if they get involved

Viking Greedy? I'd have to check the alignments most common for the Northmen.

Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2015 :  20:41:10  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MTaylor

Yeah, I didn't really want an in-game description, I wanted an out-of-game, real-world equivalent, if there was one.

Have it your way. I just do not understand this much. If I wanted to play in real world cultural background I would pick a history/pseudo history game. If I want to play fantasy I am trying to imagine or create fantastic setting and for that I use description in game material. Races of Faerun offer rich description of ethnics you probably want to picture in your mind. Yes there is probably some real world influence as there is very few authors who can leave their upbringing from their work but it is still only an influence, base structure if you will, that helps to create believable cultures. I hope you will enjoy your game any way you like.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  13:05:26  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Then what about the dark skinned tribal people of Chult? I had imagined that they were described similarly to tribal Africans.

I also found it odd that the 5E PHB suggested Spanish/Italian-sounding names for the typical Turami person.

Edited by - moonbeast on 20 Nov 2015 13:06:08
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  13:33:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The suggested names based on real world analogues are one of the things I've most disliked about attempts to provide more regional flavour to the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  13:53:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by combatmedic

I seem to recall a note someplace to the effect that the FFolk were a mixture of an original insular native race and immigrants from Tethyr.

Somebody mentioned Druids up thread. Ffolk Druids don't appear to have much in common with real druids. But they do perhaps resemble some Ro antic 19th Cnetury concepts and some neopagan stuff. A bit.

There is still a British Isles in the time of Norse invasions thing going on with the polytheist as the invading culture and the monotheists (well,more like monolatrists) as the native culture.

I once thought of placing paladin prince in Snowdon for a four or five way possible conflict in the Moonshaes

Lawful Good Paladin and his mainland/ lower Sword Coast influenced realm, where the Druids have become marginalized.

The ffolk were originally tribes of talfir from the western heartlands region that fled persecution at the hands of ebenfar. It is possible that they were two separate tribes according to some sources.
Later a migration of tethyrians arrived and the two peoples mixed together although some texts suggest the population of the moonshaes was subsumed by the tethyrians it seems unlikely given the culture that remains on the island (which is predominantly talfir).

For those interested I did a lot of work on the moonshaes for issues 8 and 9 of my alternate dimensions project and almost all of it is based on canon.

Oh and the turami were natives to the old empire region before mulhorand and unther arrived. Mulhorand absorbed the turami population while unther expelled it west to jhaamdath were a number of them survive in turmish it would seem

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2015 :  14:26:24  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

Then what about the dark skinned tribal people of Chult? I had imagined that they were described similarly to tribal Africans.

I also found it odd that the 5E PHB suggested Spanish/Italian-sounding names for the typical Turami person.

Pretty much what George said above. I understand the desire to find real-world analogues, but I don't believe that there'd always be one. Or, in some cases, some real world places/cultures correspond to multiple regions.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  16:07:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brylock

quote:
Originally posted by MTaylor

I get that FR races are not intended to be exactly the same as real-world cultures. But having an idea or concept in mind is helpful nonetheless.

Oh, certainly. For accents anyway, at least.
Speaking of, I actually think to some degree "Rasheman as Russia" is sort of accidental; if you listen to the voice actor who did Minsc, basically every "foreign" accent he does kinda sounds exactly the same (he's really prolific; he's Pete from Disney's....anything with Pete in it made after the 90'a) and then the just ran with it at BioWare and made Edwin vaguely Slavic-sounding too.
Admittedly originally the Red Wizards were sort of suggested to have a vaguely Communist China vibe (hence "Red", very much like the Scarlet Brotherhood was originally like in Greyhawk), but that was LONG before they got around to actually detailing Thay and well before Kara-Tur got dropped on the far end of the continent.

I had a friend who thought that that was odd, and then I pointed out to him how "Fake Communists" showed up in fantasy and scifi all the freakin' time for decades; they were just kind of considered a fact of life, not to mention many such authors were raised or had childhoods during the time of the Red Scare and had lots of action movies where "the Reds" are the bad guys waiting behind the scenes.

Yeah, the original Rashemen seemed a bit more Scottish and Irish. One of the original stories in Realms of Infamy in 1994 mentioned an Aughisky (water horse) even, which is from Irish folklore. That being said, I like how in later lore they mix up several cultures to form the Rashemi. Basically, you have the Rus who have ties to Ruathym... who are essentially a Viking culture. That culture then breeds with the remains of the Raumathari who seem to be a culture that reveres fey and elemental spirits.

Essentially, I see Rashemen as having possible roots or intermixture with the people of the Moonshaes as well as "the northmen". I know we have documented canon that the "earthmother" is Chauntea.... but I'd almost rather it not be. It might be interesting if Bhalla from the Rashemi culture and the earthmother are actually the same being and they weren't Chauntea (and they/she may have been Primordials).... but they are goddesses with similar goals. Similarly, Khelliara not being Mielikki would work with her being an Archfey, but not a Seldarine. Similarly, if Leira (or someone Leira subsumed) were formerly an Archfey... might she have been known as "the Hidden One" and taught them secrets of illusion, transmutation, and enchantment.... I state this because when Leira was gone, they assumed "the Hidden One" was Mystra... but when Mystra was gone, they assumed "the Hidden One" was Selune. Or instead of Leira... perhaps the Rashemi "Hidden One" was/is actually Lurue.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  18:08:43  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a bit surprised that designers would name a group the Rus. It's like naming a nation in FR the Franks or the Gauls.
Or were the Rus of FR actually (real world )Rus ( Variags= Varangian=Norse ) who passed through planar gates to reach FR?

Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  19:45:18  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am a bit surprised that designers would name a group the Rus. It's like naming a nation in FR the Franks or the Gauls.
Or were the Rus of FR actually (real world )Rus ( Variags= Varangian=Norse ) who passed through planar gates to reach FR?

Well this might have been the original intent with Rus, although the Rus are also connected to the Illuskan ethnicity, and outhright stated as Illuskan in origin in some.

Although it's very possible Illuskans may also be intended to be re all world Norse who crossed over. Ed I think suggested Illuskans/Northmen don't have to be native to Toril.

Although in Ed's original conception, there was quite a bit of mixing between Earth and Toril humans, in various amounts.
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2015 :  20:15:20  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baltas

quote:

Well this might have been the original intent with Rus, although the Rus are also connected to the Illuskan ethnicity, and outhright stated as Illuskan in origin in some.

Although it's very possible Illuskans may also be intended to be re all world Norse who crossed over. Ed I think suggested Illuskans/Northmen don't have to be native to Toril.

Although in Ed's original conception, there was quite a bit of mixing between Earth and Toril humans, in various amounts.

Indeed, thus "The Forgotten Realms."

The proto-Illuskans could have be a sort of Norsemen without coming from Earth.

The Norse pantheon or some variations thereof shows up in multiple Prime Planar worlds, homebrew and published.

But the specificity of 'Rus' makes me think Earth was the place designers had in mind.

Edited by - combatmedic on 21 Nov 2015 20:16:57
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2015 :  21:41:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

High King Cymrych Hugh was crowned by the Ffolk on 201 DR. Illuskan invaders take the northern isles of the Moonshaes on 256 DR. The Tethyrians migrate in 467 DR. I half wonder if the original Ffolk who crowned their High King Cyrmrych Hugh weren't somehow a group of people from Shaundaular in the Council Hills who possibly fled via portal when the followers of Myrkul seized their city and established the theocracy of Eltabranar.

On this thought process, I half wonder if the "Tethyrian" population who came over to the Moonshaes weren't immigrants to Tethyr who were pushed out simply because they didn't have any land holdings in Tethyr to cement them there. The fact that there are Lythari in Tethyr and the East suggests that there may be some fey paths connecting these areas.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  06:26:42  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading the SCAG book, Ffolk names sound very Gaelic-Irish to me. Was that the intent of the WotC writers?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  10:53:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

Reading the SCAG book, Ffolk names sound very Gaelic-Irish to me. Was that the intent of the WotC writers?

That's a historical artifact of the setting -- since its publication, the Moonshaes have been a pseudo-Gaelic area.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  13:30:51  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the Ffolk rather more like Pseudo Britons than like Pseudo Gaels, but I have not read anything relevant but the sourcebook for Moonshae.
Several place names appear to be adapted from Welsh or other Brythonic names.

Gwynneth
Snowdown
Caer ----

Ditto personal and family names

Kendrick ( though it could have other etymologies)
Tristan
Cymrych Hugh ( like Cymric, as in Welsh?)

Not that there aren't also Gaelic elements. The Firbolg are taken from Irish legend, much altered.
Moray is a Scottish (Gaelic) place name.
It's a mix.

That double F at the beginning of Ffolk is meant to look Welsh, I would assume.

EDIT
But I note that WR refers not to the Ffolk only, but the Moonshaes as a geographic area.

Edited by - combatmedic on 23 Nov 2015 13:32:28
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  13:57:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I separated out the names to be welsh, Irish, Scottish, Brythonic, etc by the islands they came from. My reasoning being that each clan that settled the different islands would have developed differently to those on other islands and so naming conventions would have been different.

I think I kept gwynneth and Alaron as traditionally welsh (although Alaron became more faerunian as time went by), moray was Scottish, snowdown was Irish, and the central island was Brythonic.

I used all the languages which had a Celtic/Gaelic link to show they all came from a few tribes with a linked language long ago in the ebenfar area.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

combatmedic
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  15:24:29  Show Profile Send combatmedic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I separated out the names to be welsh, Irish, Scottish, Brythonic, etc by the islands they came from. My reasoning being that each clan that settled the different islands would have developed differently to those on other islands and so naming conventions would have been different.

I think I kept gwynneth and Alaron as traditionally welsh (although Alaron became more faerunian as time went by), moray was Scottish, snowdown was Irish, and the central island was Brythonic.

I used all the languages which had a Celtic/Gaelic link to show they all came from a few tribes with a linked language long ago in the ebenfar area.

Sounds fun!

This thread has got me working on adapting Moonshae to the Birthright setting.

My notes include an island chain just off the western edges of the known world map, for which the Moonshaes would be a good fit.

Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2015 :  18:05:16  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, according to SCAG, the Moonshaes have Fomorian presence…. that's a nod to Irish mythology, no?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000