Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Interesting article/blog
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  20:35:43  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
RA pointed to it on his book of face, and it's an interesting read about how the Realms are so much more.

And, of course, since I'm a statistician, I was intrigued by a thought. What's got more published about it? Star Wars or the Realms. So here's the breakdown of stuff based on the monks of Wiki and their amazing lists:

Star Wars
Movies (current and announced): 13
TV: 8
Video Games (by title - not expansion): 96
Books/Novels: 102 323
RPG Material: 41

Forgotten Realms
Movies (current and announced): 1 (this is the Hasbro movie that is "in development")
TV: 1 (Since it's been established that the D&D cartoon takes places in the Realms)
Video Games (by title - not expansion): 35
Books/Novels: 295
RPG Material: 132

Star Wars has more visual medium out there, but the printed word surges the Realms way ahead with 464 various works vs. Star Wars' 260.

After the novel update, it comes out closer to a tie between the two at 464 Realms and 481 Star Wars.

*I was going to count comic books, but trying to track down lists of every title, how many issues, etc. made it pretty much a wash. I assume SW has more than FR, and if anyone wants to do an exact count, please feel free.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 24 Oct 2015 13:44:42

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  21:20:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is it established that the D&D cartoon was in the Realms? That cartoon was off the air long before the Realms was a published setting.

And yes, I know there's a couple references scattered around -- one or two in a computer game, and that one comic that has never been referenced anywhere, much less declared canon...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  21:25:03  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would def. dispute the idea that the D&D cartoon was in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2015 :  00:15:00  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd also love to see how he counted to 295 novels, I done it multiple times to be sure and count only 284 (including two yet to be published until beginning of 2016)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2015 :  01:32:48  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

I'd also love to see how he counted to 295 novels, I done it multiple times to be sure and count only 284 (including two yet to be published until beginning of 2016)

His count on star wars books certainly seems low. Is he flat ignoring certain series spinoffs and Expanded universe books in that count? Or only counting books based AFTER the movies?

I am almost certain I own more SW books that that and I do not even have close to the entire library.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2015 :  13:42:12  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes, give me a sec, I think I did count them wrong...

List (I did not count cancelled or reference books)

Okay, updated.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 24 Oct 2015 13:45:01
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2015 :  13:46:34  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Originally, I looked at the Wiki list and saw titles among the header links and assumed they were all the titles. So I counted that. After your comments, I realized that some of them were titles and some were SERIES titles.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2015 :  19:13:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since most of the Star Wars novels are now considered 'apocryphal', I wouldn't count them toward their 'canon' works.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000