Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Need suggestions for first-time FR novel
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2015 :  00:19:13  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

So I'm interested in getting…. and reading …. my first D&D/FR book. Yes, I've played D&D and other RPGs for a long time but never bothered to read a single Forgotten Realms novel.

I'm not a prolific book reader, so I'd welcome some suggestions. What's a good, and very highly-rated FR novel? A must-read? It doesn't have to be a Driz'zt book. But I would be interested in a novel that covers the era closer to 4th and 5th edition D&D (contemporary era, not something that happened in the Realms hundreds of years ago). A good story, solid protagonists, and a plot that is not very convoluted. I'm not well versed in all the little details of Realms history, so a complicated storyline would probably confuse me.

Basically… looking for a good Realms novel… that's a good read for someone who is a first-time Realms reader. Suggestions? Thanks.

Edited by - moonbeast on 21 Oct 2015 00:19:34

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2015 :  02:15:24  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm for a solid 4e (ish) book that doesn't require extensive Realms knowledge to enjoy ... I'd recommend Venom in Her Veins. It's a solid standalone that should whet your appetite for more.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2015 :  03:03:20  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In this scenario, I would recommend the Haunted lands trilogy.

I know you said 4e/5e, but there are so few 5e books out that it basically rules it out without reading the previous books with those characters so you know what is going on. You said you have been playing a long time, so I assume that means you probably dealt with 3.5e

The Haunted lands trilogy is not only excellent, but covers ground with many characters who live longer than most. Book 1 starts in 3.5e, book 2 begins the spellplague which began 4th edition, and book 3 is 100 years later smack in the middle of 4e

Has a terrific story for realms and first time realms dnd readers. You don't need to be terribly versed in realms lore to understand the story. It would enhance the experience of course since some big names are in the book and it takes place in a well known setting, but they are portrayed in a manner well enough for you to understand just who they are, and 90% of the characters are new.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2015 :  04:34:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy by Richard Baker, though it might help to read the Last Mythal books, and those are pre-Spellplague. Also the Brimstone Angel books by Erin M. Evans. The Adersary is part of the Brimstone Angels and the Sundering novels (which are by multiple authors). The Abolethic Sovereignty by Bruce R. Cordell is also good, but again, there are a few pre-Spellplague books that link to that series that you might want to read. It isn't a must, but it would help explain some things. The two Unbroken Chain novels by Jeleigh Johnson were great, but unfortunately the series is likely going to remain unfinished. s is going to remain unfinished. Erik Scott de Bie's Shadowbane series is great, too. There are stand alone novels that are part of Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep (one of which is the first Shadowbane novel), and those are pretty good.

You have many choices :)

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000