Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Doom of Daggerdale, Sword of Dales, Zhentil Keep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  21:27:31  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is it possible the mesh these three sets of adventures into an over arching campaign? They obviously do not need to be run continuously but can it be done without butchering the timeline too much?

I've got a group running right now and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were about trying to string these adventure's together and what changes would have to be made to the timeline prior to 1368 to make this work. The group I am currently running has already completed the Doom of Daggerdale. In that adventure they were working with whoever was paying the most to solve the issue of the Dream Fever. Tren promised more but they were unable to show proof of Calderan's death and so Tren decided not to fully pay up. Eragyn also escaped when adventurers attempted to stage a revolt in the town. She returned with a sizable force from Snowmantle, quelled the revolt and now rules the falls and Tren is in hiding.

So with that little bit of info what would it take to mesh these adventures together. I've got some ideas but wanted to hear your thoughts first.

Thanks!!

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  21:51:47  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fun with premade adventures is that you can cater the timeline to whatever suits you. Make the Realms your own.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2015 :  00:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rangerstranger

Is it possible the mesh these three sets of adventures into an over arching campaign? They obviously do not need to be run continuously but can it be done without butchering the timeline too much?

I've got a group running right now and I was wondering what everyone else's thoughts were about trying to string these adventure's together and what changes would have to be made to the timeline prior to 1368 to make this work. The group I am currently running has already completed the Doom of Daggerdale. In that adventure they were working with whoever was paying the most to solve the issue of the Dream Fever. Tren promised more but they were unable to show proof of Calderan's death and so Tren decided not to fully pay up. Eragyn also escaped when adventurers attempted to stage a revolt in the town. She returned with a sizable force from Snowmantle, quelled the revolt and now rules the falls and Tren is in hiding.

So with that little bit of info what would it take to mesh these adventures together. I've got some ideas but wanted to hear your thoughts first.

Thanks!!

Something more to throw out:

The ruined/overthrown dale Teshendale is something to consider, as well as the ancient kingdom of Hlontar that was in the same region.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2015 :  08:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The short answer is that yes, absolutely it's possible to weave the adventures together.

One group I was part of years ago used Doom of Daggerdale as a springboard to become double agents working for the Zhents. They solved the Dream Fever and got Tren to hire them as his lieutenants, then spent the next year working against him and the rest of the occupation.

Basically, what you're wanting to do is to run a campaign focused on reclaiming Daggerdale from the Zhents. Doom of Daggerdale would be the start of the campaign, getting your PC's into the situation and introducing everything. Sword of the Dales will be the eventual climax.

In between can be whatever mini-adventures you want. Most of them you'll need to create based on what's happening in the campaign, and how both the PC's and Zhents are reacting to it. If you don't have it already, I'd try to find a copy of the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set. It's the best detailed source on the Zhents, and has some Zhent-specific adventures you can leverage.

Don't worry about the specific dates Sword of the Dales is supposed to take place in. For you, it's the climax of the campaign. Start it whenever you feel things are coming to a head and it's time to move to the end game.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

rangerstranger
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2015 :  13:38:14  Show Profile Send rangerstranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

The short answer is that yes, absolutely it's possible to weave the adventures together.

One group I was part of years ago used Doom of Daggerdale as a springboard to become double agents working for the Zhents. They solved the Dream Fever and got Tren to hire them as his lieutenants, then spent the next year working against him and the rest of the occupation.

Basically, what you're wanting to do is to run a campaign focused on reclaiming Daggerdale from the Zhents. Doom of Daggerdale would be the start of the campaign, getting your PC's into the situation and introducing everything. Sword of the Dales will be the eventual climax.

In between can be whatever mini-adventures you want. Most of them you'll need to create based on what's happening in the campaign, and how both the PC's and Zhents are reacting to it. If you don't have it already, I'd try to find a copy of the Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set. It's the best detailed source on the Zhents, and has some Zhent-specific adventures you can leverage.

Don't worry about the specific dates Sword of the Dales is supposed to take place in. For you, it's the climax of the campaign. Start it whenever you feel things are coming to a head and it's time to move to the end game.

I've got the Zhentil Keep box set and the three adventures in that group are the ones I am having some trouble with fitting into the story/campaign. Doom of Daggerdale and Sword of the Dales fit quite nicely together I think. But mixing in 'Felled Hopes', 'Sinister Convictions' and 'Buying Time' from the Zhentil keep adventures would be awesome I think.
Go to Top of Page

xmaxx
Acolyte

France
39 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2015 :  19:00:56  Show Profile Send xmaxx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personnally, will run Doom of Daggerdale after The Sword of the Dale.
y adventurers will return to Daggerdale after a trip to the north of Moonsea, 9 months after they saved Randal Morn.
This will need some adaptation but nothing impossible imho.
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2015 :  14:08:47  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might suggest you to look also at City of the Spider Queen as it might be an interesting subplot too (Daerdian cripts/Szith Morcane), possibly even Shadowdale:Scourging of the Land adventure as there is Allokair, former lord of Hlontar used as villan. I am using the same area too.
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2015 :  21:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wrigley

I might suggest you to look also at City of the Spider Queen as it might be an interesting subplot too (Daerdian cripts/Szith Morcane), possibly even Shadowdale:Scourging of the Land adventure as there is Allokair, former lord of Hlontar used as villan. I am using the same area too.

I had totally forgotten that Allokair was revisited as a villain in Shadowdale: Scourging of the Land. The sheer amount of material could keep a campaign going for quite some time just between Daggerdale and Shadowdale, especially if a creative DM creates mini-adventures from all the subplots and sidetreks in different publications.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  22:20:43  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my take of the region Daggerdale is strugling to rebuild and consolidate power after their rebellion against Zhentarim, dwarves are trying to retake Tethyamar again (this time quite succesfuly, with some help from players), Allokair has struck deal with Shades (They used him to ally with drow and Zhentarim to get rid of Elminster, for that they split Shadowdale and Allokair get zhentrim approval for taking back Hlontar). Elves are making waves also as they are too settling to their renewed position of power in the region. Both Daggerdale and Tethyamar dwarves fear almost all their neigbors (drow, shades, zhentarim) only hoping in help from elves. Allokair had just now (1376 DR) used local custom and showed himself on dale council taking the free chair of Teshendale representative (used only as formal reminder until now) and also drow showed to represent conquered Shadowdale.
As for the adventures I have used CotSQ and Maerimydra was saved (one PC is drow female) using Shadowdale to boost their economy after the siege. Randal Morn has himself found blade of daggerdale and using it (and his name) to rally people to rebellion, succesfuly claiming back daggerdale from Zhentarim. I have also used inspiration with dreaming adventure in a way as a hook for Calderan Morn (former ruler rised as wright by Cyric's cleric) who dabbled in druidic-inspired arcane magic and now has found a way to use Night hag's heartstone to travel etherealy and drain sleeping victims. PC's have tracked him (finding Eagle's Ayerie on the way)to Szith Morcane where he resided with drows and made pack with him to actualy help Daggerdale and his relative for promise of deliverance from priest of Jergal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000