Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 In search of good books
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2015 :  21:54:38  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello again all,
It seems I have exhausted my novel collection once again, and need some new material to read. Slogging through Salvatore's recent works hasn't been nearly as enjoyable as his earlier works, and I think I am caught up in regard to the Erevis Cale novels(not my favorite). Any recommendations from the scribes here? Thanks in advance.

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  00:00:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you only looking for Forgotten Realms novel recs?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  00:45:43  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No. Any thing that stands out as worth a read is welcome regardless of setting.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  01:19:20  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outside the Realms, I'll always recommend Stephen R. Lawhead. His Song of Albion series is really good, and his Pendragon Cycle is my favorite. In the Realms, if you haven't read anything by Elaine Cunningham yet (your OP only lists Salvatore and the Cale novels, so I'm guessing) then you should. Any of them are good, imo, but my favorite is either the Counselors and Kings series, or her Song and Swords series. I also loved Jeff Grubb's Finder's Stone series.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  03:09:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Realms novels, you could always look at the Experienced help for recommending FR Novels thread.

I've said for years that with Realms novels, you can't beat Elaine Cunningham and the duo of Jeff Grubb and Kate Novak (and when I mentioned this to Jeff Grubb at GenCon, he proceeded to wax poetical about how good Elaine's stuff was!).

As for outside the Realms, we'd need to know more about what you like and dislike... I'm a huge fan of Raymond E Feist's stuff, anything by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, anything by Jim Butcher (especially the Dresden Files), and there's an author named Peter Clines who is close to making my "will ready anything by this author" list.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  03:22:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here are some books from outside of the Realms that I loved:

FANTASY
The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
The Jackal of Nar by John Marco

All 4 of these are the first book of a series.

HISTORICAL FICTION (but I think a fantasy fan would enjoy)
The Skystone by Jack Whyte
Gates of Fire by Steven Pressfield
Wolf of the Plains by Conn Iggulden
Bloodeye by Giles Kristian

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 19 Oct 2015 03:24:48
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  09:45:02  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of my favorite fantasy novels are the obvious ("A Song of Ice and Fire", "The Lord of the Rings", "The Name of the Wind"), the not-so-obvious-but-amazing "The Thousand Names", "Throne of the Crescent Moon", everything by Joe Abercrombie, everything by Mark Lawrence) and above all, Steven Erikson's immense The Malazan Book of the Fallen (from which I've taken my username) :)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  10:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second the "anything by Jim Butcher." Just be aware that his Dresden Files gets off to a slow start. The first three books aren't bad, but reading them you'll have a hard time understanding why people wax so poetic about the series. Once you hit Book 4, though, it really takes off and never looks back. His Codex Alera is both shorter and gets really good faster. Both are worth it.

Another good urban fantasy series is the October Daye set by Seanan McGuire (like Dresden Files, it's still on-going). I'll read anything by Jim C Hines, but I think his Princess series is probably his best.

And finally we have Mercedes Lackey, an author whose prolificness is on Ed's level. Her biggest series (Valdemar) is high fantasy. It's good, but I prefer her two series based on fairy tales. One is very tongue in cheek (Five Hundred Kingdoms, where all the characters know they're in a fairy tale, and try to use it to their advantage), the other plays it mostly straight (Elemental Masters, set mostly in Edwardian England).

Also, while it goes without saying, obviously all of these depend on your own tastes. I've read a lot of the books that have been suggested, and for me personally, some were misses. I detest Song of Ice and Fire, for instance, and thought Lies of Lock Lamora was too crude (which is a real shame since the plotting and writing was excellent). Your mileage will obviously vary.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Abeir
Acolyte

26 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  14:36:19  Show Profile Send Abeir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Edge of Reason, Edge of Ruin, and Edge of Dawn by Melinda Snodgrass were an interesting break from the usual fantasy format for me.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2015 :  16:23:22  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we're on a Realms page; I'll go with The Finder's Stone trilogy and the Harper series.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2015 :  12:43:38  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the Realms, I'd suggest Elaine Cunningham's books. I haven't read the Liriel and Spelljammer books, but the Song and Sword series, first presented in the Harper books, is awesome! IMHO, the best Realms novels I've read.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page