Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sorcerers in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  14:19:17  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All, I've played the FR only with AD&D2ed so far and I was wondering.. when sorcerers did appear in the Realms?
I mean, they were introduced in 3ed but their apparition in-game was not explained as it happened with Dragonborn, Genasi and Tiefling in 4ed. I suppose The Symbul was a wizard and then she just became a sorceress in 3ed? And Shandril and Midnight were wild mages and then they became sorceress too?
There are now established sorcerers groups in the Realms? What's the source of their power?
I'm quite ignorant of D&D 4 and 5ed, there are sorcerers there too?
Thanks!

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have hit on one of the many problems with the transition from the 2e to the 3e Realms. There were a whole lot of changes, including sorcerers, gods coming back (ie: Bane), and new races (ie: genasi, which had previously only been in Planescape). There were other things like the actual map changing, with 3e losing a lot of "blank space" in an attempt to fit it all on one poster map, the entire cosmology changing (Great Wheel vs Great Tree), and long-standing racial rules changing (drow no longer losing magic and items in sunlight).

One of the big problems a lot of existing Realms fans had at the time was the no explanation for all these changes was given. The designers basically said, "Well, it's always been that way, you just didn't know." Which did sort of fit with the "unreliable narrator" tone of the earliest Realms products, but in reality was totally unsatisfying as an answer, especially when it went entirely contrary to what had already been published.

So, unfortunately, there isn't an actual answer to your question. Basically, you have to decide what era you want to play in, and then decide whether and how you want to incorporate things like extra classes and races.

For sorcerers in particular, my opinion has been for years that they do exist in the 2e Realms, only in incredibly small numbers. They're basically a magical "mutation" of a normal person, which can only happen when that person is exposed to high levels of magic, preferably over generations. So if a family stays in a place of high magic (like Raven's Bluff with its mythal in the basement) for several centuries, then they'd have a small chance of having one person born with sorcerous talent.

That's homebrew, of course, but since 3e failed utterly to give us an official answer, homebrew is all we have.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:23:18  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it may be a matter of how one uses the term Sorcerer. In 2nd Edition, I think Sorcerer was just another name for a Wizard. The Symbul was termed a Sorceress perhaps simply because it sounded better than Wizardess. At that point I believe the names were interchangeable and simply a matter of style and choice.
This did indeed become confusing in 3rd edition when Sorcerers became a separate class unto themselves.
In Game terms, the difference between Wizard and Sorcerer is the way in which they gain their magic. Wizards Study, and sorcerers are born with a nack for casting magic. Many systems (like pathfinder) suggest that sorcerers gain thier magic from thier bloodlines. For example a Sorcerer might be descended from a Dragon, Devil, Genie, or other powerful creature.
Adding to that, a Warlock is a caster who gains power thru an agreement with a powerful outsider, a Devil, A Fae Monarch, or an Unknown Elder God. (Sure I'll sign there Mr. Cthulhu, what could possibly go wrong?)
As for when the actual change occurred and sorcerers first appeared?
One easy answer is that they always have been around, and it's only recently that common folk have begun to understand the differences.
Another possibility is that magic was changed after the Time of Troubles, causing spell casters to begin to gain and use magic differently.
Go to Top of Page

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:26:35  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your answer. I agree it was indeed an unsatisfying answer, as I suspected.
Anyway I was thinking to incorporate sorcerers more or less in the same way. I could be also inclined to attribute their increase to long lasting effects of the Time of Troubles, I've not decided it yet.
Not even sure if I'll ever get to play in 3ed realms :) while I own several 3ed FR products and I've read at least a bit most of them I've always played 2ed so far and I was now pondering to start again, but with some 2ed modules and rules.
Yet, I could start introducing sorcerers.
Thanks always for the summary of 3ed changes above, I had forgotten some of them :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:26:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can only speak on 3E and before, not 4E or 5E...

But in 3E, sorcerers were one of the many things that just popped into the Realms with either no explanation at all, or the lame "they were always there, just no one knew about them!" pseudo-explanation.

Shandril and Midnight were never wild mages. Shandril wielded spellfire, which is its own thing entirely, and Midnight was a regular mage who got one heck of a level up. I honestly don't recall any named wild mages in the Realms -- I know from an email conversation that Ed was not fond of the concept.

I believe the core explanation for sorcerers holds true in the Realms -- somewhere in the family tree is some really magical sort, and that got passed down.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:29:29  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Korginard too, I'd like also to introduce different bloodlines of sorcerers. Some created by mithals, some by ToT wild magic, some by gods maybe, dragons, outsiders. ToT anyway is convenient :)
BTW, Warlock appears in some specific FR product? I cannot recall where now..
Go to Top of Page

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:40:26  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wooly Rupert too. You're right Shandril and Midnight were not wild mages, what I meant is that, reading the novels, it seems that after their change (even if in quite different situations) they seem to cast spell in a manner vaguely similar to sorcerers.
Shandril has 2ed stats in Hall of Heroes. There are also special rules for Spellfire on page 49.
Midnight has stats too but before she changed and was able to cast spells without a book. These two however are indeed unique situations.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:41:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Korginard

I think it may be a matter of how one uses the term Sorcerer. In 2nd Edition, I think Sorcerer was just another name for a Wizard. The Symbul was termed a Sorceress perhaps simply because it sounded better than Wizardess. At that point I believe the names were interchangeable and simply a matter of style and choice.
This did indeed become confusing in 3rd edition when Sorcerers became a separate class unto themselves.
In Game terms, the difference between Wizard and Sorcerer is the way in which they gain their magic. Wizards Study, and sorcerers are born with a nack for casting magic. Many systems (like pathfinder) suggest that sorcerers gain thier magic from thier bloodlines. For example a Sorcerer might be descended from a Dragon, Devil, Genie, or other powerful creature.
Adding to that, a Warlock is a caster who gains power thru an agreement with a powerful outsider, a Devil, A Fae Monarch, or an Unknown Elder God. (Sure I'll sign there Mr. Cthulhu, what could possibly go wrong?)
As for when the actual change occurred and sorcerers first appeared?
One easy answer is that they always have been around, and it's only recently that common folk have begun to understand the differences.
Another possibility is that magic was changed after the Time of Troubles, causing spell casters to begin to gain and use magic differently.

I came up with an alternate spin that used the Return of Shade to explain sorcerers -- after all, when I first saw those books were coming, I thought they would offer that explanation.

The basic form of my explanation was that when Karsus tried to become a god, he had spent some time amassing magical energy in what was essentially a giant magical capacitor. This capacitor remained, though it was somewhat damaged, and the Shades tapped into it to have enough power to return to the Realms. But since the capacitor had been storing magic for almost two millennia and was no longer operating as designed, it released a wave of magic over the Realms that changed how some people and races accessed magic. This would explain things like sorcerers and magic use by races like dwarves that had previously been disallowed (by the core rules) from using magic at all.

Go to Top of Page

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:44:14  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed Shade could work well too. It also match the timeline as it came with 3ed and sorcerers.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:44:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hyperion

Thanks Wooly Rupert too. You're right Shandril and Midnight were not wild mages, what I meant is that, reading the novels, it seems that after their change (even if in quite different situations) they seem to cast spell in a manner vaguely similar to sorcerers.
Shandril has 2ed stats in Hall of Heroes. There are also special rules for Spellfire on page 49.
Midnight has stats too but before she changed and was able to cast spells without a book. These two however are indeed unique situations.

Spellfire was also given a full write-up in the 2E (and formerly suppressed work ) Volo's Guide to All Things Magical. It's a source I heartily recommend, even if only in pdf format.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:47:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed Shade could work well too. It also match the timeline as it came with 3ed and sorcerers.

Like I said, when I first saw that those books were coming, I figured they'd be used like the ToT -- to explain changes in-setting. Instead, we got nothing for an explanation. It's why I consider that the end of the Golden Age of the Realms and the beginning of the Silver Age -- we still got good lore, but we had some lousy stuff in there, too, and the previously tight adherence to continuity was no longer an official concern.

Go to Top of Page

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  15:59:29  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I Agree. 3ed had some good things, some not so good. What about 4ed, it's Bronze Age? :) More lacking-of-any-information age..
I'm not outright hostile to Returned Abeir.. one could always choose to use it or not. I like the idea up to a certain extent, even if I would never eliminate Maztica, Halruaa and other interesting place.
What I did not like was moving the timeline 100 years in the future without providing any history!
I haven't an opinion yet on 5ed, we'll see..

Edited by - Hyperion on 09 Oct 2015 16:00:24
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  19:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd called 4e the Dark Age, if only because I just got back from seeing a wonderful exhibit of bronze artifacts from the Tirol region, and many of them were incredibly beautiful and extremely well preserved. There wasn't much beautiful in 4e, at least from my perspective. :)

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Korginard
Learned Scribe

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2015 :  21:33:38  Show Profile  Visit Korginard's Homepage Send Korginard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Warlocks were created during 3rd edition and were kept in 4th and 5th editions.
The best example of a "Cannon" Warlock in the Realms is Fariedh, the main character of Erin M Evans Brimstone Angels novels. It's about a young Tiefling who has made a pact with a Cambion and struggles to do good despite her devilish powers. They're actually very good books, at least I enjoyed them :)
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2015 :  17:30:21  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As others have said Sorcerers were not really explained, and so there is a need to homebrew some explanations. I tackled how I handled these things in the past.

quote:
Originally posted by Aldrick

I always loved the fluff of the sorcerer class, and felt that it worked very well with the Realms.

...long ago one of your ancestors intermingled with a powerful being with a strong connection to magic. Now, centuries later the traces of your ancient lineage are re-emerging as you forge an ever stronger connection with the Weave, enabling you to draw upon the raw forces of magic through sheer force of will, and through the power of your long forgotten bloodline.

To me this is infinitely more interesting than a wizard.

However, I roleplayed out how the vancian magic system worked differently for each class.

For wizards, they spent hours studying their spell book. Magic for wizards involved long and complicated rituals, and so as they were studying and preparing their spells for the day they were casting those rituals. Each ritual ended in such a way that the magic could be "released" with a few physical and verbal gestures which act as "triggers" to activate the ritual. I described the Weave like a giant tapestry woven across reality, drawing its energy and power from many different sources, and making magic easily accessible and manipulable. A wizard was drawing on the many different threads of the tapestry attempting to "Weave" a new pattern - altering reality. Spells were often called "Weavings" or "Weaves".

For sorcerers, things were different. They lacked the same understanding of magic as wizards do. They operate through gut and intuition. They're not "casting" spells they're "reaching with the power of their ancient blood", and "grabbing" hold of the "threads" of the Weave and through sheer force of will *imposing* the pattern they want to create - altering reality. This is an exhausting process, and spells for sorcerers are more like "tricks" they learn. They intuitively learn through trial and error that if they do X then Y happens, but probably can't explain what they did or how they did it. Sorcerous powers often manifest between the ages of eight and sixteen, especially during moments of great stress. Sorcerers are dangerous if they don't learn how to control their abilities, as they could inadvertently harm themselves or someone else. They need to rest after casting spells, either through meditation or sleep, because what they do is exhausting both mentally and physically.

Bard magic is a bit of a mix between the two. Bards have learned to manipulate the Weave in a similar way that wizards have, but they do so through dance, instruments, and song. Bard magic is less precise than that of a wizard, and is focused less on carefully "Weaving" the right threads of the pattern together and more on brute force like the sorcerer. So in that way the Bard has learned to use his force of will to manipulate the Weave much like the sorcerer. Like for the sorcerer, it is exhausting, and he must rest.

Psionics is also a bit of a mix between the two, but they have learned alternate methods of doing similar things. Instead of studying the tapestry of the Weave itself, Psions have turned inward. They focus on learning how to master their minds, and through intense discipline learn how to carefully impose their will upon the Weave. This is much less brute force like sorcerers, and even less brute force than bards. However, it is still not as precise and as careful as a wizard. Despite what some psions claim they access their power through the Weave as well. Like with sorcerers what they do causes them exhaustion and they need to rest.

Warlocks, Clerics, and other divine spell casters are different from those who practice arcane magic. They do not access their magic directly; they channel it instead. They make pacts with powerful beings who then grant them the ability to channel certain powers through them. The beings they serve limit the amount of power that they can channel each day, otherwise they run the risk of their servant drawing too much and causing them harm. Warlocks get this power through pledging service or making an agreement with this power. Clerics and Druids get this power through worshiping and serving the powers interest in the mortal world.

-------

One of the ways I "enhanced" the sorcerer was to make sure that people knew that it was VERY different from playing a wizard. This is mostly a focus on fluff.

"No, you're not 'casting' Magic Missile. You're drawing upon something deep inside yourself, and then reaching out to seize control of something that you can't quite see - only sense and feel. You're then ripping off a part of it - pure magical energy - and hurling it at your foe."

"But the spell says it has verbal and somatic components. Aren't I speaking in some arcane language and using precise hand gestures?"

"Absolutely not! There is nothing precise about what you do. You're standing there in the heat of the moment, and you're grabbing a hold of something - you have no real idea what it is... you just can sense and feel it there. You're grabbing this thing and you're hurling it at the goblin. You're not speaking in some arcane language, you're roaring with anger as you grab this stuff, or you're yelling an enraged battle cry - you feel more alive than you ever have before! - or maybe you're wailing in terror as you touch this - what the hell is it?! You're not using precise motions you're flailing with your arms as you yell out - trying to grab something you can't see - then you're hurling it at the goblin. You're not some stuffy ass wizard who grew up in some dusty old library, you have no idea what you're doing - this is all by the seat of your pants - it's exhilarating , it's terrifying, you're filled with a tremendous sense of power... think EMOTION! Think INTUITION! GUT INSTINCTS!

You're roaring with rage, trembling with the power you've pulled into your body, grasping upon -SOMETHING- and then HURLING it at the goblin. As you gesture at him malformed orbs of pure arcane energy emerge from your hands - ripping through the goblin's body. The creature howls in absolute agony, as one of your missiles hits him in the face and another in the stomach. The one that hit him in the face has seared his flesh as if he was struck by flame, his eye dangles from a socket as he whips his head back and forth in terror and pain. The one that struck him in the stomach has ripped open his flesh, and his insides are starting to spill out. The goblin glances down and panics instinctively grabbing his intestines as he falls to his knees. It is clear that he won't last long... he is going to bleed to death."

"I want to finish him off, can I finish him?"

"Yes."

"I want to cast acid splash in his face."

"You walk up to the goblin who is starting to cough up blood. He is clearly defenseless. As you get closer his one remaining eye widens with terror, it cries out something in a strange tongue, something you think is a plea for mercy. But still filled with the rush of battle, you step up to him, he leans back - his one good eye growing even wider. You reach for the power behind your site once more then **SEIZE** it, with another roar you thrust your hand toward the goblins face and an orb of acid emerges from your hand. The moment it strikes the beast there is a loud 'HISSSSSSS' as its flesh begins to melt, a sound which is rapidly drown out by the defenseless creature howling in pain. The howl quickly becomes a gurgling sound as the goblin collapses backwards, the good side of his face now completely melted - both eyes gone - the acid having melted his cheek as well and filled his mouth, which is now mixed with a froth of acid and blood. The gurgling soon ceases as well, the goblin twitches a few more times, and then is completely still.

As the adrenaline from the battle begins to fade, you're left feeling somewhat tired and exhausted... and confused. What the hell did you just do? How did you do it? You feel lightheaded and unsteady on your feet.

Okay, what do you do now? Do you get how this goes with sorcerers and how they're different from wizards?"

-------

Aside from fluff, I'd make up free feats for the PC that were relevant to their bloodline. I was never a stickler for balance, and always leaned more toward the "Rule of Cool" and the "Rule of Drama."

So for that reason, I'd always lean toward discouraging bloodlines that wouldn't result in some interesting problems. This pretty much rules out most benevolent fey and celestial types. My personal favorite are aberrations. So, let's say someone is playing a sorcerer with a beholder bloodline.

Maddening Whispers
Ahhh! They won't stop! No matter how hard you try the whispers at the back of your mind keep coming back. It's like having tiny little teeth gnawing on your brain - arrgh! It's hard to think! "Yes, I am perfect." "Wait?! Did I say that? No.. no... It was them, wasn't it? Gods! It's getting hard to tell the difference!"

Prerequisite: Level 3 Sorcerer. Little did you know when you first became aware of your "special" lineage and started walking down this path that it would have a price... but doesn't power always have a price? What's the loss of ones sanity compared to UNLIMITED POWER? Well, that's what the whispers seem to think, at least.

Benefits: Select a knowledge related skill. By listening to the maddening whispers you gain a +3 bonus on all checks involving that skill; this stacks with Skill Focus. The maddening whispers may drive you a little insane, but they seem to hold deep knowledge.

Special: The whispers seem to have a will of their own. You cannot control them. Yet, they have an intense effect on you. The whispers occasionally attempt to compel you to do things you would not otherwise do. Obeying the whispers is completely voluntary (resulting in you using your force of will to maintain your control and composure), but if you choose to obey you will be rewarded an agreed upon amount of Bonus XP.

I AM THE SYMBOL OF PERFECTION!
Pathetic fools! Why can't they see that you, and you alone are the symbol of perfection? You are what your race was meant to be! All others are inferior by far, does your power not prove that? What?! How dare that one look at you as if you were mad. You are not mad! "I'M NOT MAD!" Yes... saying it like that makes it true, doesn't it? Wait... did you say that out loud? Why is he running away?

Prerequisite: Level 5 Sorcerer (and every five levels thereafter)

Benefits: Select a sub-type of your race. From this point forward you view this sub-type as inferior to yourself, and you have trouble hiding your disdain for them. You receive a -3 penalty on your Bluff and Diplomacy checks. However, you receive a +3 to your Intimidation checks. Your disdain for them is also such that you can draw upon additional power when facing them in combat. You gain +1d4 bonus damage whenever you use your magic to deal damage to them in battle.

Special: Whenever you slay an individual of the selected sub-racial type, you develop a gnawing hunger. You have the urge to consume their flesh - raw and uncooked. Should you decide to give into this urge the penalties are erased and your bonus magic damage increases to +1d6 until the next time you rest.

Cannibalistic Tendencies
You never knew your own people (inferior as they are) could look so delicious... You're quite certain their livers would go well with some fava beans and a nice Tethyrian tanagluth.

Prerequisite: Level 6 Sorcerer

Benefits: You gain a +1 Charisma Bonus that lasts for one day if you consume the flesh of someone of your own race. This bonus increases to +2 if it is of a sub-race that you find inferior to yourself. The meat MUST be fresh - killed within the last week, at least.

Special: This bonus can be doubled if you consume the flesh raw. Thus a sub-race you find inferior grants a +4 bonus, and all others of your race grant a +2 bonus if their flesh is consumed raw.

You get the idea.

quote:

I think what's key to keeping the idea of the sorcerer separate from the wizard is that the source of their power comes from their blood. So, I think that the types of enhancements they receive should reflect that fact. And it's probably more than just tapping into their blood, but also HOW they tap into it and how it shapes them as a character.

I'd try not to have a sorcerer thinking that they're drawing from a wizard's spell list. For example, someone with an infernal bloodline isn't casting a fireball, they're drawing upon their blood and seizing upon the Weave to hurl a ball of pure Hellfire. Hell, if necessary I'll completely re-fluff a spell, and even make changes to its mechanics if necessary.

Rather than trying to create a universal mechanic, I'd instead just help the player customize their character in such a way that is awesome, cool, and relevant. I'd also listen to what they'd hope to accomplish.

So someone with a Fey bloodline, for example, I'd slowly have them tapping more and more into nature itself. I might even eventually open up some druid spells to them - or grant them some druid spells for free.

Here is an example...

Ensnared By Nature

Wherever you walk you can sense the plants around you. They are beginning to bend to your will in strange and unusual ways. Should you wish it, they will even defend you.

Prerequisite: Level 3 Sorcerer

Benefits: Once per day you gain the spell-like ability to call upon nearby plants to entangle your foes. This functions exactly as the spell Entangle.

---

With things like this, it's more interesting fluff wise for the character and the player. However, my style is - as I said - less about balance and mechanics and more about the "Rule of Cool" and the "Rule of Drama." And in the end it's about ensuring the player is having fun, and it adds something to the story (both for their character and the collaborative narrative).

I hope that this was useful to you, Hyperion.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2015 :  18:06:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the takes I had for sorcerors having always been there was that the OGB had a lot of people with wild talent psionics in the realms. I suspect a lot of these were actually just natural sorcerers. I know a lot of folks would consider that sacrilege though.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2015 :  19:29:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I mean, they were introduced in 3ed but their apparition in-game was not explained as it happened with Dragonborn, Genasi and Tiefling in 4ed.
In 3E the decision was made not to have any sort of Realms-shaking event to herald the changes that the new 3E Rules would bring to the Forgotten Realms.

Instead there were several posts made online on the WotC website (the Realms Roundtables series, plus other articles) where the designers together and individually introduced the changes to the Realms, talked about the advancement to the timeline, described how the new rules could be used to better reflect the Realms in ways big and small, and discussed the design work and otherwise explained some of what they were doing.

The key concept the designers introduced was called "The Magic Television." If you were playing 2E, you were viewing the Realms through the oily lens of the 2E rules (so no sorcerers, even though plenty of Realms novels implied their existence).

If you changed the channel to the (new at the time) 3E rules, you were viewing the Realms through the 3E rules, and hopefully were getting a clearer picture of what was in the Realms already, so things like sorcerers existed--and always existed--which in my not so humble opinion better fits the Realms, with its many and varied ways of doing magic.

It's not necessary to provide an explanation for sorcerers, unless you're a DM switching from 2E to 3E, 4E or 5E, and you have players that demand an explanation for the changes (a demand, mind, that the majority of gamers who switched from 2E to 3E didn't seem to need at all).

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Hyperion
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2015 :  11:47:26  Show Profile Send Hyperion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for the answers and explanations.
Interesting house rules Aldrick!
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2015 :  16:30:48  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always went with "the ways of the Weave are mysterious" and "Midnight/Mystra had a hard time getting over being a deific doofus" and used that to explain the various weird things that popped up in 3E.
Go to Top of Page

Alefian
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2015 :  23:08:35  Show Profile Send Alefian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

One of the takes I had for sorcerors having always been there was that the OGB had a lot of people with wild talent psionics in the realms. I suspect a lot of these were actually just natural sorcerers. I know a lot of folks would consider that sacrilege though.

I don't personally think that is far off. Another alternative could be that any Realms character using the Player's Option: Spells and Magic Channeler rules could also be the 2E equivalent of a Sorcerer. Though I don't recall of any canon Realms NPCs that used the Player's Option rules.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2015 :  00:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I don't have the cite handy, Ed or the Hooded One answered in on the Ed's scrolls that magic users with natural abilities (e.g. something akin to the 3e sorcerer) has always been part of Ed's vision of the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2015 :  02:18:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right. According to my unfinished (5th edition) 'D&D in the Realms' document:
quote:
Sorcerer: Such innate magical abilities are called “wild talents”; they are usually far more limited than the D&D class, along the lines of the Magic Initiate feat. (In the Realms, “sorcerer” or “sorceress” generally means a wizard, not a member of this class.) Wild mages (users of Wild Magic) are also known.
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2015 :  19:51:27  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As others have said Sorcerers were not really explained, and so there is a need to homebrew some explanations. I tackled how I handled these things in the past.

quote:

I always loved the fluff of the sorcerer class, and felt that it worked very well with the Realms.

...long ago one of your ancestors intermingled with a powerful being with a strong connection to magic. Now, centuries later the traces of your ancient lineage are re-emerging as you forge an ever stronger connection with the Weave, enabling you to draw upon the raw forces of magic through sheer force of will, and through the power of your long forgotten bloodline.

To me this is infinitely more interesting than a wizard.

However, I roleplayed out how the vancian magic system worked differently for each class.

For wizards, they spent hours studying their spell book. Magic for wizards involved long and complicated rituals, and so as they were studying and preparing their spells for the day they were casting those rituals. Each ritual ended in such a way that the magic could be "released" with a few physical and verbal gestures which act as "triggers" to activate the ritual. I described the Weave like a giant tapestry woven across reality, drawing its energy and power from many different sources, and making magic easily accessible and manipulable. A wizard was drawing on the many different threads of the tapestry attempting to "Weave" a new pattern - altering reality. Spells were often called "Weavings" or "Weaves".

For sorcerers, things were different. They lacked the same understanding of magic as wizards do. They operate through gut and intuition. They're not "casting" spells they're "reaching with the power of their ancient blood", and "grabbing" hold of the "threads" of the Weave and through sheer force of will *imposing* the pattern they want to create - altering reality. This is an exhausting process, and spells for sorcerers are more like "tricks" they learn. They intuitively learn through trial and error that if they do X then Y happens, but probably can't explain what they did or how they did it. Sorcerous powers often manifest between the ages of eight and sixteen, especially during moments of great stress. Sorcerers are dangerous if they don't learn how to control their abilities, as they could inadvertently harm themselves or someone else. They need to rest after casting spells, either through meditation or sleep, because what they do is exhausting both mentally and physically.

Bard magic is a bit of a mix between the two. Bards have learned to manipulate the Weave in a similar way that wizards have, but they do so through dance, instruments, and song. Bard magic is less precise than that of a wizard, and is focused less on carefully "Weaving" the right threads of the pattern together and more on brute force like the sorcerer. So in that way the Bard has learned to use his force of will to manipulate the Weave much like the sorcerer. Like for the sorcerer, it is exhausting, and he must rest.

Psionics is also a bit of a mix between the two, but they have learned alternate methods of doing similar things. Instead of studying the tapestry of the Weave itself, Psions have turned inward. They focus on learning how to master their minds, and through intense discipline learn how to carefully impose their will upon the Weave. This is much less brute force like sorcerers, and even less brute force than bards. However, it is still not as precise and as careful as a wizard. Despite what some psions claim they access their power through the Weave as well. Like with sorcerers what they do causes them exhaustion and they need to rest.

Warlocks, Clerics, and other divine spell casters are different from those who practice arcane magic. They do not access their magic directly; they channel it instead. They make pacts with powerful beings who then grant them the ability to channel certain powers through them. The beings they serve limit the amount of power that they can channel each day, otherwise they run the risk of their servant drawing too much and causing them harm. Warlocks get this power through pledging service or making an agreement with this power. Clerics and Druids get this power through worshiping and serving the powers interest in the mortal world.

-------

One of the ways I "enhanced" the sorcerer was to make sure that people knew that it was VERY different from playing a wizard. This is mostly a focus on fluff.

"No, you're not 'casting' Magic Missile. You're drawing upon something deep inside yourself, and then reaching out to seize control of something that you can't quite see - only sense and feel. You're then ripping off a part of it - pure magical energy - and hurling it at your foe."

"But the spell says it has verbal and somatic components. Aren't I speaking in some arcane language and using precise hand gestures?"

"Absolutely not! There is nothing precise about what you do. You're standing there in the heat of the moment, and you're grabbing a hold of something - you have no real idea what it is... you just can sense and feel it there. You're grabbing this thing and you're hurling it at the goblin. You're not speaking in some arcane language, you're roaring with anger as you grab this stuff, or you're yelling an enraged battle cry - you feel more alive than you ever have before! - or maybe you're wailing in terror as you touch this - what the hell is it?! You're not using precise motions you're flailing with your arms as you yell out - trying to grab something you can't see - then you're hurling it at the goblin. You're not some stuffy ass wizard who grew up in some dusty old library, you have no idea what you're doing - this is all by the seat of your pants - it's exhilarating , it's terrifying, you're filled with a tremendous sense of power... think EMOTION! Think INTUITION! GUT INSTINCTS!

You're roaring with rage, trembling with the power you've pulled into your body, grasping upon -SOMETHING- and then HURLING it at the goblin. As you gesture at him malformed orbs of pure arcane energy emerge from your hands - ripping through the goblin's body. The creature howls in absolute agony, as one of your missiles hits him in the face and another in the stomach. The one that hit him in the face has seared his flesh as if he was struck by flame, his eye dangles from a socket as he whips his head back and forth in terror and pain. The one that struck him in the stomach has ripped open his flesh, and his insides are starting to spill out. The goblin glances down and panics instinctively grabbing his intestines as he falls to his knees. It is clear that he won't last long... he is going to bleed to death."

"I want to finish him off, can I finish him?"

"Yes."

"I want to cast acid splash in his face."

"You walk up to the goblin who is starting to cough up blood. He is clearly defenseless. As you get closer his one remaining eye widens with terror, it cries out something in a strange tongue, something you think is a plea for mercy. But still filled with the rush of battle, you step up to him, he leans back - his one good eye growing even wider. You reach for the power behind your site once more then **SEIZE** it, with another roar you thrust your hand toward the goblins face and an orb of acid emerges from your hand. The moment it strikes the beast there is a loud 'HISSSSSSS' as its flesh begins to melt, a sound which is rapidly drown out by the defenseless creature howling in pain. The howl quickly becomes a gurgling sound as the goblin collapses backwards, the good side of his face now completely melted - both eyes gone - the acid having melted his cheek as well and filled his mouth, which is now mixed with a froth of acid and blood. The gurgling soon ceases as well, the goblin twitches a few more times, and then is completely still.

As the adrenaline from the battle begins to fade, you're left feeling somewhat tired and exhausted... and confused. What the hell did you just do? How did you do it? You feel lightheaded and unsteady on your feet.

Okay, what do you do now? Do you get how this goes with sorcerers and how they're different from wizards?"

-------

Aside from fluff, I'd make up free feats for the PC that were relevant to their bloodline. I was never a stickler for balance, and always leaned more toward the "Rule of Cool" and the "Rule of Drama."

So for that reason, I'd always lean toward discouraging bloodlines that wouldn't result in some interesting problems. This pretty much rules out most benevolent fey and celestial types. My personal favorite are aberrations. So, let's say someone is playing a sorcerer with a beholder bloodline.

Maddening Whispers
Ahhh! They won't stop! No matter how hard you try the whispers at the back of your mind keep coming back. It's like having tiny little teeth gnawing on your brain - arrgh! It's hard to think! "Yes, I am perfect." "Wait?! Did I say that? No.. no... It was them, wasn't it? Gods! It's getting hard to tell the difference!"

Prerequisite: Level 3 Sorcerer. Little did you know when you first became aware of your "special" lineage and started walking down this path that it would have a price... but doesn't power always have a price? What's the loss of ones sanity compared to UNLIMITED POWER? Well, that's what the whispers seem to think, at least.

Benefits: Select a knowledge related skill. By listening to the maddening whispers you gain a +3 bonus on all checks involving that skill; this stacks with Skill Focus. The maddening whispers may drive you a little insane, but they seem to hold deep knowledge.

Special: The whispers seem to have a will of their own. You cannot control them. Yet, they have an intense effect on you. The whispers occasionally attempt to compel you to do things you would not otherwise do. Obeying the whispers is completely voluntary (resulting in you using your force of will to maintain your control and composure), but if you choose to obey you will be rewarded an agreed upon amount of Bonus XP.

I AM THE SYMBOL OF PERFECTION!
Pathetic fools! Why can't they see that you, and you alone are the symbol of perfection? You are what your race was meant to be! All others are inferior by far, does your power not prove that? What?! How dare that one look at you as if you were mad. You are not mad! "I'M NOT MAD!" Yes... saying it like that makes it true, doesn't it? Wait... did you say that out loud? Why is he running away?

Prerequisite: Level 5 Sorcerer (and every five levels thereafter)

Benefits: Select a sub-type of your race. From this point forward you view this sub-type as inferior to yourself, and you have trouble hiding your disdain for them. You receive a -3 penalty on your Bluff and Diplomacy checks. However, you receive a +3 to your Intimidation checks. Your disdain for them is also such that you can draw upon additional power when facing them in combat. You gain +1d4 bonus damage whenever you use your magic to deal damage to them in battle.

Special: Whenever you slay an individual of the selected sub-racial type, you develop a gnawing hunger. You have the urge to consume their flesh - raw and uncooked. Should you decide to give into this urge the penalties are erased and your bonus magic damage increases to +1d6 until the next time you rest.

Cannibalistic Tendencies
You never knew your own people (inferior as they are) could look so delicious... You're quite certain their livers would go well with some fava beans and a nice Tethyrian tanagluth.

Prerequisite: Level 6 Sorcerer

Benefits: You gain a +1 Charisma Bonus that lasts for one day if you consume the flesh of someone of your own race. This bonus increases to +2 if it is of a sub-race that you find inferior to yourself. The meat MUST be fresh - killed within the last week, at least.

Special: This bonus can be doubled if you consume the flesh raw. Thus a sub-race you find inferior grants a +4 bonus, and all others of your race grant a +2 bonus if their flesh is consumed raw.

You get the idea.

quote:

I think what's key to keeping the idea of the sorcerer separate from the wizard is that the source of their power comes from their blood. So, I think that the types of enhancements they receive should reflect that fact. And it's probably more than just tapping into their blood, but also HOW they tap into it and how it shapes them as a character.

I'd try not to have a sorcerer thinking that they're drawing from a wizard's spell list. For example, someone with an infernal bloodline isn't casting a fireball, they're drawing upon their blood and seizing upon the Weave to hurl a ball of pure Hellfire. Hell, if necessary I'll completely re-fluff a spell, and even make changes to its mechanics if necessary.

Rather than trying to create a universal mechanic, I'd instead just help the player customize their character in such a way that is awesome, cool, and relevant. I'd also listen to what they'd hope to accomplish.

So someone with a Fey bloodline, for example, I'd slowly have them tapping more and more into nature itself. I might even eventually open up some druid spells to them - or grant them some druid spells for free.

Here is an example...

Ensnared By Nature

Wherever you walk you can sense the plants around you. They are beginning to bend to your will in strange and unusual ways. Should you wish it, they will even defend you.

Prerequisite: Level 3 Sorcerer

Benefits: Once per day you gain the spell-like ability to call upon nearby plants to entangle your foes. This functions exactly as the spell Entangle.

---

With things like this, it's more interesting fluff wise for the character and the player. However, my style is - as I said - less about balance and mechanics and more about the "Rule of Cool" and the "Rule of Drama." And in the end it's about ensuring the player is having fun, and it adds something to the story (both for their character and the collaborative narrative).

I hope that this was useful to you, Hyperion.

Aldrick, this is amazing! I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2015 :  02:49:03  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not just new arcane magic that got added with each new edition. Catfolk I think got added in 3e, 3e also added Krinth, and Star Elves I think. Changelings too (although at the time they did not resemble Eberron Changelings). 4e added Goliaths (Goliaths started in 3e, but they weren't in the realms yet I think I could be wrong), Shadar-Kai, Dragonborn, Mortal Elderin, Shifters (previously an Eberron race), Incarnated Devas (in the worst way possible mangling them with Aasmir), possibly some others races.

Classes that were added in 3e (Binders got merged with Warlocks in 4e), Favoured Souls became a thing as divine magic sorcerors basically (but never appeared in any novel to my, I could be wrong, get merged into sorceror in a 5e Unearthed Arcana article) in 4e Avenger (big impact, got merged into Paladins), invocator (a dragonborn character in one novel), Seeker,Runepriest, ect... okay most of these did not appear in a novel.

In practice how much of a difference would most common folk make between wizards and sorcerors (with favoured souls the exception, most folk would view as clerics or a breed of Chosen), Rangers and Seekers or Wardens, Cleric and Archivists or Invokers or Rune Priests, Druids and Shaman, Paladins and Avengers, Warlocks and Binders or even most other classes concidered creepy and weird.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000