Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everyone please read!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  09:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It reminds Big Al of a time when that was the only kind of music one could hear. He remembers that time well, because it was a great improvement on the music of his youth: banging rocks together.

Ahem! Why I oughta! Speaking of banging rocks together...come here Furry One!

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  10:05:01  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently playing the tune as I write this...

I'm... suddenly... feeling so sad!!

These were the golden years.

Forgotten Realms: The Golden Years.

Mace, Knight, Wooly?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  22:43:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Daily for quite some time now; I've been lurking until very recently.
2) Daily.
3) Yes, specifically Realmslore with specific dates.
4) With the way the transition to 4E was handled, as far as I'm concerned, there is no official "canon" post-1375, regardless of what the future published material says. This is neither the time nor the place for a detailed rant.
5) All the time.
6) Most of them, depending on what I'm looking for.
7) 10

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  22:57:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... okay, so the survey was a little old... oops. My answers are current, and that's the important thing, right?

From what I've read, a lot of us are not happy with 4E Realms. I'm one of them, for the most part. Mystra and the Weave are a major part of what make it the Realms, and from a consistency point of view, it was ludicrous that the Weave could fall apart without affecting the Shadow Weave, imho... but then, consistency was apparently not a priority. How else do you explain the disbanding of the Harpers when the Zhentarim and the Cult of the Dragon are both still around? "Oh, we need something for the new adventurers to do, so we'll just retire and let everything go to heck for a while." That makes about as much sense as... well, the only examples I can think of are real-world political, and I'm not going there. There has been enough senselessness commented on here already. I'm working on my own post-1375 DR timeline, and if anyone else is doing the same, I'm curious as to what has been kept and tossed.

I'll admit, I like some things... the re-establishment of Cormanthyr, for one... I just wish they'd *called* it that. I'm also pleased to see Anauroch gone; New Netheril is far more interesting.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  14:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old survey, new user... figure I'll contribute, too.

1) How often do you visit this forum? Looking forward to it being often
2) How often do you visit the Candlekeep site itself? I've stumbled across it once or twice in the past, (probably when clicking a link to something specific in your archives).
3) Are you interested in any of the actual site updates (as indicated on the sites Home Page) Of course.
4) Are you interested in fan-created articles on the site as well as official "canon" information? Definitely interested in fan-created material as well as old (pre-4e) canon.
5) Do you use the "Active Topics" function of the forum? Not yet, but I'll look into it.
6) Do you visit any other forum categories other than this "General Chat" or the ProductsNovels categories? Yes
7) How do you rate the site on a scale of 1-10 (1 being Low, 10 being High) 10+

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  02:26:14  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We Scribes of Candlekeep are just wondering what usage you all get out of this site and the forum, so If you could please take a moment to answer the following questions then it will be a great help to us:

1) How often do you visit this forum? Couple times a week.

2) How often do you visit the Candlekeep site itself? Once or twice. I honestly don't go there because you have no obvious link on the Forum main page, so I don't think about it.

3) Are you interested in any of the actual site updates (as indicated on the sites Home Page) Never see them. Guess I should go check it out.

4) Are you interested in fan-created articles on the site as well as official "canon" information? Yes.

5) Do you use the "Active Topics" function of the forum? Yes.

6) Do you visit any other forum categories other than this "General Chat" or the ProductsNovels categories? Several others.

7) How do you rate the site on a scale of 1-10 (1 being Low, 10 being High) 8

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan

Edited by - danbuter on 13 Oct 2008 02:28:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  03:02:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

2) How often do you visit the Candlekeep site itself? Once or twice. I honestly don't go there because you have no obvious link on the Forum main page, so I don't think about it.
I'm not too sure on what you mean by "obvious link." But the Candlekeep Homepage can be reached easily enough from the Forum Page by using the Home function in the top right-hand side of the Forum Page [right next door to the Profile, Register, and Active Topics, etc. functions].

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  10:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually found the home page first and then the forums.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  23:11:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too; the home page is a simple address, and the forum link is fairly obvious, I thought. But you're right, there doesn't seem to be a way to get right back to the Candlekeep main page from the forums. Hrm.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  00:17:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Me too; the home page is a simple address, and the forum link is fairly obvious, I thought. But you're right, there doesn't seem to be a way to get right back to the Candlekeep main page from the forums. Hrm.

Errr...
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

[...] But the Candlekeep Homepage can be reached easily enough from the Forum Page by using the Home function in the top right-hand side of the Forum Page [right next door to the Profile, Register, and Active Topics, etc. functions].

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  17:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Errr...
quote:

[...] But the Candlekeep Homepage can be reached easily enough from the Forum Page by using the Home function in the top right-hand side of the Forum Page [right next door to the Profile, Register, and Active Topics, etc. functions].

I must admit though, I wouldn't expect to click on the "home" link on the forum menu in order to get taken to the Candlekeep site home page. It's a little odd.

Nevertheless, that's how it works (currently).

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  00:32:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

quote:

Errr...
quote:

I must admit though, I wouldn't expect to click on the "home" link on the forum menu in order to get taken to the Candlekeep site home page. It's a little odd.

Nevertheless, that's how it works (currently).

Well, some of the Forums I tend to frequent also have much the same function -- allowing access to the Main Site Page from the Message Boards. So I don't think it's that odd.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  04:01:16  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think its an odd feature, just that some people might not expect Home to refer to the main website... rather, they might consider "Home" to take them to the very top level of the forums.

The Home link should be renamed slightly to indicate more specifically where it leads to... kind of like how the link on the main website leading to the forums specifically indicates that it takes you to the forums.

Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  00:52:21  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I assumed Home went to the main forum page. That would be "standard" web design for most sites I visit.

I recommend renaming it somehow and probably making it a bigger link. But that's my opinion.

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  06:39:13  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Often every day, sometimes two or three days apart. If I'm not currently frequenting the Inn for Rping, I visit less often.
2) Irregularly---when I'm looking for specific info.
3) Not usually, though now and then something catches my attention.
4) Yes---so long as canon and fan-created content is clearly labeled for separation, it's fun (sometimes inspirational) to see what other gamers come up with.
5) No.
6) Yes---mostly the Inn, and I sometimes browse "Running the Realms" and "Chamber of Sages."
7) 9

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Thalos_Milathriel
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  13:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Thalos_Milathriel's Homepage Send Thalos_Milathriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) How often do you visit this forum?

I'd say twice a week, sometimes more if there's an active topic I'm watching.

2) How often do you visit the Candlekeep site itself?

Twice a week to get into the forums and about once a month I peruse the main site.

3) Are you interested in any of the actual site updates (as indicated on the sites Home Page)

Yes. I've enjoyed the maps, the Compendiums and the product info pages for upcoming and past releases.

4) Are you interested in fan-created articles on the site as well as official "canon" information?

With the way 4E Realms is going over that may be the only way to keep the Realms we love alive.

The only qualification I'd make is that IMHO fan created stuff should be their own creations and not overlap "cannon" too much. Personally I'm not that interested in reading some fan's new story about Drizzt. Don't try to out-Salvatore Salvatore m'kay? If you are going to write new stories or area descriptions make up a new character or pick an area of Faerűn that hasn't already been fleshed out.

5) Do you use the "Active Topics" function of the forum?

No. But now that you mention it I will check that out.

6) Do you visit any other forum categories other than this "General Chat" or the ProductsNovels categories?

Yes, but mostly those two.

7) How do you rate the site on a scale of 1-10 (1 being Low, 10 being High)

Well, since it's THE home for Realms fans on the web I'd have to give it a 10 of course.

Thanks for your time.

You're welcome, and thank you for your time keeping Candlekeep chugging along.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2008 :  13:36:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Every fifteen minutes? I actually have a tab opened to it whenever I'm on the web and automatically updating every 5 minutes or so. And since I'm a Webmaster, yes, I've got it on at work...
Two or three times a week. I look for updated and new articles.
3) Are you interested in any of the actual site updates (as indicated on the sites Home Page)
Yes I am. And if you need any help...
4) Are you interested in fan-created articles on the site as well as official "canon" information?
Definitely! Especially with the 4E Realms changes.
Every time I'm on.
6) Do you visit any other forum categories other than this "General Chat" or the ProductsNovels categories?
I read and lurk in about every forum (which is why my post count seems to go up exponentially), posting where I feel my input will help or to just join in on the conversation.
"It goes to eleven."

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Neil Bishop
Learned Scribe

Singapore
100 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  07:20:19  Show Profile  Visit Neil Bishop's Homepage Send Neil Bishop a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Fairly regularly but a lot less since 4E was released.

Everytime I forget the url of the forums page (which changed a couple of years ago and yet the link on the front page still hasn't bee updated).

I enjoy some of the story hours and Markustay's maps. Anything by George Krashos is always welcome and Ed's stuff is FR gold.

Yes. As fan-created is the only way to keep the "real" Realms alive, it's the new canon.

No but maybe now I will.

Yes I visit most but normally I spend my time here in response to a specific search for lore (using the magic of Google).

I would rate it about 4 right now:

- IMO, the forums are poorly organised. Frex, there are separate forums for FR RPG Products, Sages of Realmslore, FR Events and FR New Products when they all actually discuss the same thing: canon FR. Why not one or two forums instead? I would suggest two forums one for pre-Spellplague and one for post-Spellplague perhaps after a formmal poll to confirm that the majority of posters do not consider the post-Spellplague Realms to be a "real" version of FR.
- Too much threadcrapping, particularly by monitors or long-time posters who should know better. The signal-to-noise ratio is getting worse.

Regards
NXB
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  19:51:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can agree with this one and there does, to me, seem to be a lot more off topic or one line comments in many threads lately, making it annoying to read through some threads.

quote:
Originally posted by Neil Bishop

- Too much threadcrapping, particularly by monitors or long-time posters who should know better. The signal-to-noise ratio is getting worse.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2008 :  22:56:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I can agree with this one and there does, to me, seem to be a lot more off topic or one line comments in many threads lately, making it annoying to read through some threads.
Heh. Indeed, I've noticed a slight increase in this myself. [Though, sometimes, I've been just as responsible for said off-topicness].

How do other scribes feel about this issue?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  02:19:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, I have to agree, even though I know I've been responsible as well.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2008 :  02:38:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... I think this deserves further exploration. Interested scribes, please direct your replies here:- http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11875

Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  14:51:24  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) So far, several times a day. I suspect that will taper off to once a day after I finish prepping my new campaign.
2)Once a week
3)Yes
4)Definitely
5)Definitely
6)Yes
7)9

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Odysseus
Seeker

USA
51 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  15:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Odysseus's Homepage Send Odysseus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Candlekeep Webmaster

Hi folks

Just wanted to do a bit of a quick survey, this isnt where id normally post a topic such as this but as this is the most popular forum sub-category then I thought it would be the best place to get everyones attention

We Scribes of Candlekeep are just wondering what usage you all get out of this site and the forum, so If you could please take a moment to answer the following questions then it will be a great help to us:

Thanks for your time.

1. Varies . When I was running or playing in a realms game. I visited on average around ten times per month. Otherwise around once a month.
2. Hardly ever.
3. Yes.
4.Yes.
5. Never.
6. Yes. My primary interest is in Novels, and realms information/questions answered
7.8 out of 10

“Anybody can become angry, that is easy; but to be angry with the right person, and to the right degree, and at the right time, and for the right purpose, and in the right way, that is not within everybody’s power, that is not easy.” —Aristotle
Go to Top of Page

elglanto
Acolyte

24 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2009 :  12:59:45  Show Profile  Visit elglanto's Homepage Send elglanto a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, sorry for my language, english isn't my native tongue.

Sometime, when I need a accurate information. But as I'm registered now, I will come more often
Same as 1)
Yes, why not?
I still don't know what it is
Yes : Running the Realms
I would put a 7, it's a really nice site, I may put more if my understanding of english was better to get all the informations.
Go to Top of Page

Darkstar Daimonizomal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2009 :  05:05:31  Show Profile  Visit Darkstar Daimonizomal's Homepage Send Darkstar Daimonizomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote

- Everynight

- Everynight

- Yes

- Yes

- Huh? What is active topics?

- Yes

- A ten (10)! It is a great site. The longevity and the knowledge of some of the posters is amazing. It is really great to find a place where everyone is nice, extremely helpful, values other people's opinion (even a neophyte as myself), the ability to agree to disagree without any negative feelings, and the general sense of humor displayed during the topics. :-)

~ Darkstar
Go to Top of Page

Vierna
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  23:42:59  Show Profile  Visit Vierna's Homepage Send Vierna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
not as often as I like but hopefully that will change
same
yes
possibly
yes quite a bit
yes
10 this is the most comprehensive site for these topics I have ever seen, couldn't think of a better place to be! I think the admin's and mod's here do a great job with everything really.

"Part Well...Regret Nothing" ~ Paul Kemp The Erevis Cale Trilogy
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  00:53:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Vierna

10 this is the most comprehensive site for these topics I have ever seen, couldn't think of a better place to be! I think the admin's and mod's here do a great job with everything really.

We appreciate the support, Vierna. Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  03:40:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Vierna

We appreciate the support, Vierna. Thank you.

Indeed. It's always nice to hear things like that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2009 :  21:15:20  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Candlekeep Webmaster

Thanks for your time.

I thought I'd update my answers to this; I think it's been a year now (or pretty close) since I first registered and started posting, and a lot has happened in that year.

1) Daily, except when I'm really busy at work.
2) Much less frequently, since adding the Forum to my list of home pages; generally only when someone in the Forum mentions something new added to the Library that looks interesting.
3) I try to be, but my attention seems to get swallowed up by the stimulating dialogue in the Forum.
4) Very much so, even more lately, because the Spellplague and time jump aren't happening in my Realms, which affects how much of the canon lore is usable in my campaigns.
5) Yes, regularly.
6) Yes, I regularly visit almost every category with the exception of the Book Club; I'm way far behind and trying to catch up on my novel reading.
7) 10! I think we're managing to achieve a constructive and edition-neutral environment after a lot of unpleasantness around the edition change. Kudos to the moderators for their efforts in mitigating said unpleasantness and bringing us around to civil debate after letting people vent (and some of us needed to vent a lot more than others... )
That's my current take on the State of the Keep. Looking forward to CK 2.0!

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Aug 2009 21:18:40
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000