Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Everyone please read!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 13

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  01:29:38  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Big Al does like to include batches of FR news pieces together in each update. Which is why we sometimes have the long delay between updates.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  10:46:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

quote:

2) 1x a weekish.
3) Yes.
I would like to change these two answers as follows:
2) Not often at all, but mainly because I do not know when it is updated because I almost exclusively visit the forums.
3) Quite interested, I just don't realize when the updates take place because I almost exclusively visit the forums.

Note: Are the updates of the rest of the site mentioned as frequently in the forums as they happen? If so, I must just miss the posts, and maybe they need to be made more prevalent. If not, maybe the moderators would consider posting what updates have happened when they happen in the forums.

Well met

Aye, site updates are posted in the Site Content section of the forum.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2130 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  17:56:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Then I must just miss it when it happens...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  08:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met

Then I must just miss it when it happens...

Well met

There was a facility on the site, by the name of The Traveling Minstrel, which allowed you to sign up and be notified via email when site updates or announcements occured. Alas, this ceased to function when we moved servers It's on my list of things to fix, however.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  13:31:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did 'The Traveling Minstrel' ever work? I remember signing up shortly after I joined Candlekeep back in '02... and I don't ever recall receiving updates via email.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Jul 2008 13:31:36
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  09:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Did 'The Traveling Minstrel' ever work? I remember signing up shortly after I joined Candlekeep back in '02... and I don't ever recall receiving updates via email.

Well met

Aye it worked in the earlier days. It ceased when moving from Linux to Windows server. The script is relatively straight forward but it simply wouldn't talk to the mail server anymore.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  01:30:36  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering, whatever happened to that nice music that used to play when you were on Candlekeep's main site? I miss that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  02:11:44  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Twas "The Yewtree" by The Battlefield Band. The tune played upon arrival at the library, though it has since been removed. It received mixed opinions, and whilst the majority stated that the tune was quite pleasing, it sometimes interfered with reading and other tunes being played on individual machines.

It's available for download through the 'Shrine of Milil' here at Candlekeep.

Edited by - The Sage on 21 Jul 2008 02:14:13
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  02:13:40  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We once did have music playing in the background of the Main Site of Candlekeep. 'Twas "The Yewtree" by The Battlefield Band. The tune played upon arrival at the library, though it has since been removed. It received mixed opinions, and whilst the majority stated that the tune was quite pleasing, it sometimes interfered with reading and other tunes being played on individual machines.

It's available for download through the 'Shrine of Milil' here at Candlekeep.

Thanks for the information. Oh well.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  02:41:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never liked it, myself. I don't like anything that makes my machine make noises unless it's me. And I don't even do all that much to make the computer make noise, anymore.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  03:15:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I kinda like it. In fact, I downloaded a copy from the Shrine of Milil just as soon as it became available. I play it every now and then to remind myself of the first year or so when I originally signed-up at Candlekeep.

Good times!

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  04:28:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can understand why some would find the music annoying, but I enjoyed it and never had any technical problems with it.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  09:22:34  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I kinda like it. In fact, I downloaded a copy from the Shrine of Milil just as soon as it became available. I play it every now and then to remind myself of the first year or so when I originally signed-up at Candlekeep.

Good times!

Well met

Aye, I take the odd trip down memory lane and play this for nostalgia's sake every now and then Brings a tear to the eye.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30284 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  13:49:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good times!

Well met

Aye, I take the odd trip down memory lane and play this for nostalgia's sake every now and then Brings a tear to the eye.

It reminds Big Al of a time when that was the only kind of music one could hear. He remembers that time well, because it was a great improvement on the music of his youth: banging rocks together.

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3532 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  14:17:04  Show Profile  Send The Red Walker a Yahoo! Message Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

Good times!

Well met

It reminds Big Al of a time when that was the only kind of music one could hear. He remembers that time well, because it was a great improvement on the music of his youth: banging rocks together.

Bad Hamster!! And after Big Al put that Wheel and maze in your room for you to work out!

here go chase this ::throws piece of cheese::

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 21 Jul 2008 14:17:43
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5584 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  09:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ahem! Why I oughta! Speaking of banging rocks together...come here Furry One!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1792 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  10:05:01  Show Profile  Click to see Purple Dragon Knight's MSN Messenger address Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently playing the tune as I write this...

I'm... suddenly... feeling so sad!!

These were the golden years.

Forgotten Realms: The Golden Years.

Mace, Knight, Wooly?
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  22:43:26  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1) Daily for quite some time now; I've been lurking until very recently.
2) Daily.
3) Yes, specifically Realmslore with specific dates.
4) With the way the transition to 4E was handled, as far as I'm concerned, there is no official "canon" post-1375, regardless of what the future published material says. This is neither the time nor the place for a detailed rant.
5) All the time.
6) Most of them, depending on what I'm looking for.
7) 10

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2008 :  22:57:51  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... okay, so the survey was a little old... oops. My answers are current, and that's the important thing, right?

From what I've read, a lot of us are not happy with 4E Realms. I'm one of them, for the most part. Mystra and the Weave are a major part of what make it the Realms, and from a consistency point of view, it was ludicrous that the Weave could fall apart without affecting the Shadow Weave, imho... but then, consistency was apparently not a priority. How else do you explain the disbanding of the Harpers when the Zhentarim and the Cult of the Dragon are both still around? "Oh, we need something for the new adventurers to do, so we'll just retire and let everything go to heck for a while." That makes about as much sense as... well, the only examples I can think of are real-world political, and I'm not going there. There has been enough senselessness commented on here already. I'm working on my own post-1375 DR timeline, and if anyone else is doing the same, I'm curious as to what has been kept and tossed.

I'll admit, I like some things... the re-establishment of Cormanthyr, for one... I just wish they'd *called* it that. I'm also pleased to see Anauroch gone; New Netheril is far more interesting.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2008 :  14:13:28  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old survey, new user... figure I'll contribute, too.

1) How often do you visit this forum? Looking forward to it being often
2) How often do you visit the Candlekeep site itself? I've stumbled across it once or twice in the past, (probably when clicking a link to something specific in your archives).
3) Are you interested in any of the actual site updates (as indicated on the sites Home Page) Of course.
4) Are you interested in fan-created articles on the site as well as official "canon" information? Definitely interested in fan-created material as well as old (pre-4e) canon.
5) Do you use the "Active Topics" function of the forum? Not yet, but I'll look into it.
6) Do you visit any other forum categories other than this "General Chat" or the ProductsNovels categories? Yes
7) How do you rate the site on a scale of 1-10 (1 being Low, 10 being High) 10+

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  02:26:14  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We Scribes of Candlekeep are just wondering what usage you all get out of this site and the forum, so If you could please take a moment to answer the following questions then it will be a great help to us:

1) How often do you visit this forum? Couple times a week.

2) How often do you visit the Candlekeep site itself? Once or twice. I honestly don't go there because you have no obvious link on the Forum main page, so I don't think about it.

3) Are you interested in any of the actual site updates (as indicated on the sites Home Page) Never see them. Guess I should go check it out.

4) Are you interested in fan-created articles on the site as well as official "canon" information? Yes.

5) Do you use the "Active Topics" function of the forum? Yes.

6) Do you visit any other forum categories other than this "General Chat" or the ProductsNovels categories? Several others.

7) How do you rate the site on a scale of 1-10 (1 being Low, 10 being High) 8

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan

Edited by - danbuter on 13 Oct 2008 02:28:44
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  03:02:10  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by danbuter

2) How often do you visit the Candlekeep site itself? Once or twice. I honestly don't go there because you have no obvious link on the Forum main page, so I don't think about it.
I'm not too sure on what you mean by "obvious link." But the Candlekeep Homepage can be reached easily enough from the Forum Page by using the Home function in the top right-hand side of the Forum Page [right next door to the Profile, Register, and Active Topics, etc. functions].

Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  10:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually found the home page first and then the forums.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2008 :  23:11:24  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too; the home page is a simple address, and the forum link is fairly obvious, I thought. But you're right, there doesn't seem to be a way to get right back to the Candlekeep main page from the forums. Hrm.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31690 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2008 :  00:17:11  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Me too; the home page is a simple address, and the forum link is fairly obvious, I thought. But you're right, there doesn't seem to be a way to get right back to the Candlekeep main page from the forums. Hrm.

Errr...
quote:

[...] But the Candlekeep Homepage can be reached easily enough from the Forum Page by using the Home function in the top right-hand side of the Forum Page [right next door to the Profile, Register, and Active Topics, etc. functions].

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 13 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000