Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Catching Up
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LankyOgre
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  17:15:49  Show Profile Send LankyOgre a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I really enjoyed the FR novels while I played 2E and 3.X, but with the jump to 4E I moved to Pathfinder instead. Chronologically, I think the last things I read were the Return of the Archwizards and War of the Spider Queen. Its been awhile though. I'm thinking of returning to 5E and it appears that the default setting is FR.

I've got two questions.
How much time has passed since 3.X?
What books would be the best to read to catch up on the changes?

I looked at the "Where to Start" thread, but it seems more general and doesn't specifically address the new stuff.

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2015 :  17:29:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LankyOgre

I really enjoyed the FR novels while I played 2E and 3.X, but with the jump to 4E I moved to Pathfinder instead. Chronologically, I think the last things I read were the Return of the Archwizards and War of the Spider Queen. Its been awhile though. I'm thinking of returning to 5E and it appears that the default setting is FR.

I've got two questions.
How much time has passed since 3.X?
What books would be the best to read to catch up on the changes?

I looked at the "Where to Start" thread, but it seems more general and doesn't specifically address the new stuff.

5e is set about 110-120 years after 3e. A lot of the changes that happened during end 3e and in 4e have been reverted in 5e (you have deities returning, organizations --and even nations-- rising again, the landscape being reshaped into something closer to what was in 3e and so on). If you want an overview of the situation, you could look at the 4e FRCS to get an idea of what changed, start with the Sundering novels (and their followups) to see *some* of the changes brought by 5e, and then get the book that WotC will release in Novemeber (assuming that it will include the full update that was promised).

If you want novels, then the Empyrean Odissey books cover the Spellplague. The Elminster series kinda reverted those changes, though, starting from ''Elminster Enraged'' with the retun of Mystra.

The Haunted Lands books describe the event that brough Thay to its current state.

The Erevis Cale and the Twilight War books set up the story of Mask and his return in ''The Godborn'' (one of the Sundering books)

The Lady Penitent books follow up the events in WotSQ, but they have been reverted, in part, with Eilistraee&Vhaeraun returning to the Realms.

This thread could also be useful: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19630

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 25 Sep 2015 17:54:33
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000