Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Action and fight sequences.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  19:49:57  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Off topic slightly, but another part of the novels that bother me is when death is treated as final and no one mentions resurrection as a possibility. A few novels it is handled well (Ed's books they have raised characters like Fzoul even, and I just re-read Black Wolf where a character dies and it is explained that the final wishes of the character are to not be resurrected); but most of the time someone beloved dies and even a rich, powerful character does not even think of resurrection.

In the real world, if a person who died young and tragically died, and resurrection was possible, you can bet and believe the first thought on ANY loved one's mind would be finding a priest capable of casting the spell. It bothers me that authors some authors don't take that "fantasy" aspect into consideration.

Disclaimer, I know the rez spells are mostly an ingame mechanic to bring back player characters who suffer from bad dice rolls, but still, its in the Realms so don't ignore it!

I would imagine resurrection is a tricky thing for Realms authors to deal with. If they abused it then the reader wouldn't really care if a character died because we know they can just magically come back.

I've read other non-Realms books where characters died but ended up coming back later through some form of resurrection. It left a bad taste in my mouth since any loss felt at the character's initial demise was nullified.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  22:50:09  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Off topic slightly, but another part of the novels that bother me is when death is treated as final and no one mentions resurrection as a possibility. A few novels it is handled well (Ed's books they have raised characters like Fzoul even, and I just re-read Black Wolf where a character dies and it is explained that the final wishes of the character are to not be resurrected); but most of the time someone beloved dies and even a rich, powerful character does not even think of resurrection.

In the real world, if a person who died young and tragically died, and resurrection was possible, you can bet and believe the first thought on ANY loved one's mind would be finding a priest capable of casting the spell. It bothers me that authors some authors don't take that "fantasy" aspect into consideration.

Disclaimer, I know the rez spells are mostly an ingame mechanic to bring back player characters who suffer from bad dice rolls, but still, its in the Realms so don't ignore it!

I would imagine resurrection is a tricky thing for Realms authors to deal with. If they abused it then the reader wouldn't really care if a character died because we know they can just magically come back.

I've read other non-Realms books where characters died but ended up coming back later through some form of resurrection. It left a bad taste in my mouth since any loss felt at the character's initial demise was nullified.

Totally agree there. Just off the top of my head, these people have died and come back: all the Companions (even Drizzt I think, has technically died twice), Quenthel Baenre, Yvonnel Baenre, Kimmuriel's mother (sort of), Erevis Cale, Elminster, Rivalen Tanthul, Pharaun Mizzrym (although it was the lamest resurrection ever), and Fzoul Chembryl.

That's why reading the death of Telamont Tanthul and all his sons throughout the Sundering books was hollow. The way Shade went down was epic, but are we really to believe that Shar won't just resurrect them all for some new plot of hers?

And don't even get me started on the gods. Somehow all the gods manage to foresee their deaths and plan for them in advance, despite the fact that they are too incompetent to foresee anything else. Is there any logical reason that Bhaal and Leira found their way back, but Moander and Manzecoorian didn't?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  23:05:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

And don't even get me started on the gods. Somehow all the gods manage to foresee their deaths and plan for them in advance, despite the fact that they are too incompetent to foresee anything else. Is there any logical reason that Bhaal and Leira found their way back, but Moander and Manzecoorian didn't?

My gut feeling tells me that they did too (Moander, at least). Anyway, a god coming back is different from a mortal doing so, because gods usually have tons of contingencies in place to prevent actual death in first place, and even when it happens, as long as they have followers, their consciousness keeps living and the door for their comeback remains open. This is how that side of divinity works in the FR. Ofc, the situation would be much better and less of that would be needed, if WotC hadn't decided that gods can fall like flies, some in extremely cheap ways too.

I agree about mortal characters, though. Even in game, I don't include any resurrection effect, and powerful healing spells are rather costly, and take a toll on the caster, so they're not as common. IMO, if they really wanted to include Resurrection, it should be some sort of miraculous effect, that can be casted only with the consent/assistance of a deity, only for specific reasons, and that requires a heavy investment/preparation in order to be possible.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Sep 2015 23:06:47
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2015 :  18:44:10  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends on the battle. I think the final battle between Szass Tam/ Malar/ Aoth Fezrim's crew/ the Zulkirs set the bar and was amazing in my opinion.

Also loved the battles in The Last Mythal books, especial those involving Malkizid.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000