Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Action and fight sequences.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  04:00:15  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
For most of my life I've been reading fantasy that consist of plenty of action and fighting sequences. I never really enjoyed them so much, but I always just assumed that was part of these genres. But then I read the Song of Ice and Fire novels and my eyes are opened to a completely different kind of fantasy narrative. One that I enjoy much better. So it got me wondering, is there anyone else out there who doesn't like the extended action and fight sequences that are a mainstay in Realms novels?

I guess since I went from finishing up a second read through of A Dance with Dragons right into Archmage, there was a pretty stark contrast for me.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  05:33:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tend to gloss over combat scenes that go for more than about a single page, regardless of whether it's fantasy, sci-fi, or something else.

I used to be really big into BattleTech, a setting built around giant stompy robots duking it out with each other... And yet, I didn't pay nearly as much attention to the Mech combats as I did to the politics that lead to the fights -- the latter was much more interesting to me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  06:20:37  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I tend to gloss over combat scenes that go for more than about a single page, regardless of whether it's fantasy, sci-fi, or something else.

I used to be really big into BattleTech, a setting built around giant stompy robots duking it out with each other... And yet, I didn't pay nearly as much attention to the Mech combats as I did to the politics that lead to the fights -- the latter was much more interesting to me.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been doing is glossing over the fight scenes. FOr some reason, I didn't mind the fight scenes in BT so much. A lot of them weren't of the "He twisted his wrist in a deft block of the blow" type fight scenes. It's good to know I'm not the only one who feels this way though.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  14:45:05  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something we get far too few of in Realms novels is extended wizard / priest /psionic battles. While I totally skip the fight scenes that go on and on with swords and shields (especially two humanoids going at it, snoresville for me, I do like a monster versus human fight though); I'll love the details of a magic battle and hope they go on a long while.

Like Wooly, doesn't matter what the setting is, a "he dodged the blow and rollled away, then made a stab, then ran behind a bush, then XYZ" that goes on for thirteen pages I skip to the resolution. I recognize some people like it though.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  15:53:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fight scenes get repetitive quickly unless you are reading a skilled author. Joe Abercrombie is one of my favs for spicing up "boring" fight scenes.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  15:55:09  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

I guess since I went from finishing up a second read through of A Dance with Dragons right into Archmage, there was a pretty stark contrast for me.

This is like eating a filet mignon and then having a follow-up snack of cheetos.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  19:16:36  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always felt that the melee fight scenes in RAS' books go on for far too long. Though, that's really the only FR author that I feel makes battle scenes too long.

On the other hand, I also hate it when authors skip fight scenes entirely. The Rose of Sarifal is a good example of this. If I remember correctly there were fight scenes that went like this: Character A engages in a fight, perspective goes to character B, then goes back to character A and the fight is already done.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  21:23:16  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Something we get far too few of in Realms novels is extended wizard / priest /psionic battles. While I totally skip the fight scenes that go on and on with swords and shields (especially two humanoids going at it, snoresville for me, I do like a monster versus human fight though); I'll love the details of a magic battle and hope they go on a long while.

Like Wooly, doesn't matter what the setting is, a "he dodged the blow and rollled away, then made a stab, then ran behind a bush, then XYZ" that goes on for thirteen pages I skip to the resolution. I recognize some people like it though.

I love ALL fight scenes, but I totally agree with you here. That was what I found so heartbreaking about The Herald. We finally get to see 4 of Faerun's greatest archwizards duke it out, and it's all anti-climactic.

First, Larloch, essentially 1 shots all the Shadovar. Then Telamont goes and powers himself up with a bunch of artifacts, only to get one-shotted by Elminster. Then Larloch tries to take over the Weave, but ends up getting one-shotted by the Srinshee.

Good magical battles are lacking in most novels.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2015 :  21:35:39  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I've always felt that the melee fight scenes in RAS' books go on for far too long. Though, that's really the only FR author that I feel makes battle scenes too long.

On the other hand, I also hate it when authors skip fight scenes entirely. The Rose of Sarifal is a good example of this. If I remember correctly there were fight scenes that went like this: Character A engages in a fight, perspective goes to character B, then goes back to character A and the fight is already done.

I love those long, detailed fight scenes, but I think there's a reason for that. Most of his main characters, and even secondary characters, are melee fighters (Drizzt, Bruenor, Wulfgar, current Regis, pre-injury Catti, Jarlaxle, Artemis, Athrogate, etc.).

So it makes sense for him to spend a lot of time on combat. My personal favorite in recent books has been Dahlia. She's got a weapon that can do a lot of different things, and it was fun to read about her in battle.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  02:50:52  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri

quote:

This is like eating a filet mignon and then having a follow-up snack of cheetos.

Haha! True story. Although it's probably a bit unfair to compare a book written within a year and a book that took 6 years to write.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  03:33:20  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Haha! True story. Although it's probably a bit unfair to compare a book written within a year and a book that took 6 years to write.

Yeah but sometimes it's easy to spot writers who shine above others.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  05:02:37  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, wise dwarf once say, "Quit yer bitching!"

Why continue to read RAS's stuff if you're so dissatisfied with it? What I see are some gluttons for punishment. Are you sure you're not really just converts to the cult of Ilmater?

While I certainly love the GOT TV show, I was barely able to slog through the first 100 pages of the first book. His books are longer and more complex, obviously, and of course much more consistently serious, but that first one didn't strike me as demonstrating any better writing.

I suppose that one day I will finally get around to sitting down and really committing to reading GRRM with the welcoming, open mind that his stuff requires. But I just don't have the time or energy or brain cells left over after long days at work to tackle 1000-page medieval melodramas.

That's similar to why I don't play D&D, I guess. I settle for easy-in, easy-out de-stresser games to pass what little free time that I have. I just don't have it in me to make my fun time feel like work, when my work already feels like work enough as it is.

I don't believe in magic--in fact, I thoroughly disbelieve in it--so it's very hard for me to wrap my head around it in entertainment. I find myself rolling my eyes and zipping through it much like the way some of you have described in your reaction to detailed fight scenes.

But visceral, physical, virtually palpable melee, OTOH, really gets through to me. I can easily visualize the action, and even live vicariously through the characters as they take their swings and maneuvers. It doesn't take nearly as much of a stretch of my imagination or suspension of disbelief, either. It just plain works, as is.

Maybe it's somewhat akin to that film Fight Club?

As RAS wrote of Zaknafein, I prefer the steel of a fighter's sword to the crystal of a mage's rod.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  14:49:34  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
RAS is not a saint, he's a writer. As such he is open to criticism just like any other writer. So why is it that his fans seem to take any RAS criticism personally? Get over it. I can't think of another author whose fans seem to be like this.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  14:53:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BEAST

I don't believe in magic--in fact, I thoroughly disbelieve in it--so it's very hard for me to wrap my head around it in entertainment. I find myself rolling my eyes and zipping through it

People obviously have different preferences, and that's a good thing. However I kind of doubt that people here believe that it is possible to make -say- fireballs appear out of nowhere while chanting some weird words, that's why it's called fantasy. Just saying...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  16:25:14  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

RAS is not a saint, he's a writer. As such he is open to criticism just like any other writer. So why is it that his fans seem to take any RAS criticism personally? Get over it. I can't think of another author whose fans seem to be like this.

I'm quite certain you can, if you try hard enough. The fans of every popular writer are this way. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, J.K. Rowling, Stephanie Meyer, James Patterson, George Martin, etc. Go online and critique any of those writers, and you'll get way more hate than you've ever received criticizing RAS. I'm not saying it's right, but people get really passionate about writers who they feel have had a big impact on their lives. And not just writers. That goes for people's favorite musicians, actors, athletes, etc. Candlekeep is one of the tamest sites I've ever been on (good job Mods!).
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  16:31:28  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why continue to read RAS's stuff if you're so dissatisfied with it? What I see are some gluttons for punishment. Are you sure you're not really just converts to the cult of Ilmater?

While I certainly love the GOT TV show, I was barely able to slog through the first 100 pages of the first book. His books are longer and more complex, obviously, and of course much more consistently serious, but that first one didn't strike me as demonstrating any better writing.

I suppose that one day I will finally get around to sitting down and really committing to reading GRRM with the welcoming, open mind that his stuff requires. But I just don't have the time or energy or brain cells left over after long days at work to tackle 1000-page medieval melodramas.

That's similar to why I don't play D&D, I guess. I settle for easy-in, easy-out de-stresser games to pass what little free time that I have. I just don't have it in me to make my fun time feel like work, when my work already feels like work enough as it is.

I don't believe in magic--in fact, I thoroughly disbelieve in it--so it's very hard for me to wrap my head around it in entertainment. I find myself rolling my eyes and zipping through it much like the way some of you have described in your reaction to detailed fight scenes.

But visceral, physical, virtually palpable melee, OTOH, really gets through to me. I can easily visualize the action, and even live vicariously through the characters as they take their swings and maneuvers. It doesn't take nearly as much of a stretch of my imagination or suspension of disbelief, either. It just plain works, as is.

Maybe it's somewhat akin to that film Fight Club?

As RAS wrote of Zaknafein, I prefer the steel of a fighter's sword to the crystal of a mage's rod.

I kinda feel you on that one, but not all the way. Does that make it harder for you to enjoy characters like Ambergris, Kane, Jarlaxle, etc. who are clearly melee fighters, but use a lot of magic in their attacks?
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  18:40:20  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read Song of Fire and Ice so I can't comment on that. I like the fight scenes, if I can picture it Sometimes I can Follow RAS fights, and I love them. Sometimes I can't follow them. One of my all time favorite fights was Enteri vs a battle mage trying to assassinate him.

Robert Jordan was different. Instead of detailing each blow, he described different sword forms such as Parting the Slik, Sheathing the Sword, Boar Rushes Downhill...etc, while the hero was training, then used them during fight scenes.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  19:00:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was once reading a fight scene, and there was part of it that simply didn't make sense... I actually recreated the scene, using GI Joe figures, and it still didn't make sense. I don't recall the exact issue, but it was something like someone trying to stab someone in the chest and then somehow being behind him.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  19:26:31  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't remember saying that I hate reading about the Realms. I read RAS because I've been reading Realms novels since Darkwalker on Moonshae And who is "bitching"? I don't like fight/action sequences in my literature and I was curious if anyone felt the same way. Ya know, starting a discussion on a discussion forum?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2015 :  19:57:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Simmer down, folks.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  18:19:35  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Because this scroll wasn't opened to ask about RAS. It was opened to ask about fighting scenes, in general.

Then you had to go and make it personal, by focusing on him(which the OP Caolin never did).

It's not that I think Bob's a saint. I think I've made my own POV clear here at the Keep that even I get frustrated with some aspects of his writing from time to time. So please don't go there. Straw man fallacy.

But that being said, as a longtime diehard fan of his, of course I feel attached to his stories. The Crystal Shard was my gateway into the Realms, and my entire view of them is colored by his way of telling tales. I owe my fandom of this world to him more than to any other writer--for better or for worse; warts and all; the good, the bad, and the ugly; etc. And there are tons more people in exactly the same boat. I would reckon that his writing has probably done more to bring about awareness of the Realms than that of any other writer. You can dislike it for this or that technical literary or personal aesthetic reason, but you can't change history: Bob is the Realms for a whole lot of us fans.

So that is why it irked me that you felt the need to insert your offhanded shots at him in this scroll when it was completely unnecessary. Why is it that his critics have to go and insert their criticisms and condescending comments where they don't belong?

RAS is the big gun in Realms fiction, whether you like it or not. He has been a huge part of it since the earliest days of its published life. To slash at him like you do feels, to me, like slashing at the very Realms themselves. No, not like bashing Ed would obviously be. But still, it feels a lot like that. So the man doesn't need to be a saint to warrant being afforded more respect than what you give him.

Edited by - BEAST on 12 Sep 2015 19:03:37
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  18:24:26  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't remember saying that I hate reading about the Realms. I read RAS because I've been reading Realms novels since Darkwalker on Moonshae

No one ever accused you of hating reading about the Realms, Caolin.

quote:
And who is "bitching"?

See above. "Cheetos" and "easy to see writers who shine above others"--in a scroll about fighting scenes--should answer your question quite thoroughly.

[quote]I don't like fight/action sequences in my literature and I was curious if anyone felt the same way. Ya know, starting a discussion on a discussion forum?

And there's nothing wrong with any of that.

That's why I didn't direct any ire your way, Caolin. It was directed completely elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  18:34:37  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

However I kind of doubt that people here believe that it is possible to make -say- fireballs appear out of nowhere while chanting some weird words, that's why it's called fantasy. Just saying...

Granted.

But my personal disbelief of magic is so deepseated that it interferes with my ability to be entertained by its inclusion in stories. I just get through it, rather than truly having fun with it, most of the time. (It's similar to how I read RW religious texts: I slog through or skim over all the supernaturalism just to try to get to the "good" stuff that actually has real relevance to me.)

Mundane melee, OTOH, is usually (but not always) very much grounded in reality, so it passes through my BS meter a lot more easily. Oh-so-convenient twists of ankles in the right direction (read: rolls of the die) still take some measure of suspension of disbelief and willing credulity, but still, much less so than magic does.

So that's why fight scenes usually work very well for and are well received by me.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  18:40:30  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I kinda feel you on that one, but not all the way. Does that make it harder for you to enjoy characters like Ambergris, Kane, Jarlaxle, etc. who are clearly melee fighters, but use a lot of magic in their attacks?

A little bit, yeah. I start viewing those half-magic guys (and gal) more like the comic book characters of the Realms, whereas these impossibly successful mere-melee guys (and gal) come off more like relatable RW people.

Yes, I know how funny that sounds, since it's still all fantasy.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  18:42:50  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I was once reading a fight scene, and there was part of it that simply didn't make sense... I actually recreated the scene, using GI Joe figures, and it still didn't make sense. I don't recall the exact issue, but it was something like someone trying to stab someone in the chest and then somehow being behind him.

Maybe more bad editing than bad writing? Did the line(s) about one character moving behind the other get dropped?

Are you sure you're not thinking about "WOTSQ"? There seem to have been a lot of those kinds of snafus in there.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  19:39:01  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't remember saying that I hate reading about the Realms. I read RAS because I've been reading Realms novels since Darkwalker on Moonshae

No one ever accused you of hating reading about the Realms, Caolin.

quote:
And who is "bitching"?

See above. "Cheetos" and "easy to see writers who shine above others"--in a scroll about fighting scenes--should answer your question quite thoroughly.

[quote]I don't like fight/action sequences in my literature and I was curious if anyone felt the same way. Ya know, starting a discussion on a discussion forum?

And there's nothing wrong with any of that.

That's why I didn't direct any ire your way, Caolin. It was directed completely elsewhere.

It's all good. Lack of context + internet == disaster.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2015 :  21:30:40  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Because this scroll wasn't opened to ask about RAS. It was opened to ask about fighting scenes, in general.

Then you had to go and make it personal, by focusing on him(which the OP Caolin never did).

Clearly you misunderstood my use of the word personal. I meant that RAS fans feel like they (the reader) are being attacked for standing up for him. It's not like I came over to your house and tore your Drizzt poster in half, though that might have gotten just as much of a reaction out of you.

Go to Top of Page

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
483 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  05:47:54  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Clearly you misunderstood my use of the word personal. I meant that RAS fans feel like they (the reader) are being attacked for standing up for him. It's not like I came over to your house and tore your Drizzt poster in half, though that might have gotten just as much of a reaction out of you.

I can't be the only one that thinks you have chosen an odd user handle for someone with such clear disdain for his work?
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  13:09:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

quote:

I can't be the only one that thinks you have chosen an odd user handle for someone with such clear disdain for his work?

I never said I disdained RAS's work. His work is flawed, as are all authors, but some just make it easier to spot for your everyday reader.

Obviously I enjoy his work enough to make one of his characters part of my avatar's name.

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  19:08:14  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off topic slightly, but another part of the novels that bother me is when death is treated as final and no one mentions resurrection as a possibility. A few novels it is handled well (Ed's books they have raised characters like Fzoul even, and I just re-read Black Wolf where a character dies and it is explained that the final wishes of the character are to not be resurrected); but most of the time someone beloved dies and even a rich, powerful character does not even think of resurrection.

In the real world, if a person who died young and tragically died, and resurrection was possible, you can bet and believe the first thought on ANY loved one's mind would be finding a priest capable of casting the spell. It bothers me that authors some authors don't take that "fantasy" aspect into consideration.

Disclaimer, I know the rez spells are mostly an ingame mechanic to bring back player characters who suffer from bad dice rolls, but still, its in the Realms so don't ignore it!
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  19:18:25  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that combat is a large part of Dungeons & Dragons, I can't fault the D&D novel writers for emphasizing it in their books. With that said, some authors are better than others at making battles exciting to read. And another important factor is how much I care about the characters; if the author has failed to make me empathize (if not sympathize) with them prior to a battle, then even good descriptions of combat won't interest me.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000