Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Untheric and Mulhorandi pantheons
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1172 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2015 :  20:29:32  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, very hardcore.
Go to Top of Page

Brylock
Seeker

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  10:31:48  Show Profile Send Brylock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I noticed that aside from the Mulhorondi pantheon being brought back, other deities with shared portfolios now exist within the SAME pantheon: Lathander and Aumanator are now both in the same Greater Faerunian Pantheon despite both being sun deities, and Bhaal and Myrkul are back too though since it's been shown that literally ALL of the Dead Three had secret Get Out of Death Free cards that surprises me not at all.
Given that the whole "1 portfolio for any subject and only 1 deity gets it" thing was basically the Rule of Ao, and Ao was almost literally the Personification of Editorially Mandated Whims (he was created by TSR during the ToT to resolve a problem that Greenwood felt no need to resolve, and in fact he's been GMing his game as if that entire thing never happened for decades now) maybe it's just that Ao's arbitrary rule of "one God for one portfolio and one God only" rule has been abolished or something.
There were people who believed in Lathander and the sun as a more bright and warm Apollo-like figure, and people who believed in the sun as an orderly and neat time-piece that followed the celestial cosmos and kept thinhs running as Aumanator, so without Ao's random proclemations ("one of you did a BAD THING so clearly ALL OF YOU have to be stranded on Toril....except for Helm, Helm's ma boy") dictating junk (perhaps explained by the destruction of the Tablets of Fate), both existed and now have to compete for worshippers, though really aside from the whole "sun" part very different people would gravitate towards the two deities.
This could also explain why Bhaal and Myrkul are back (both had long-lasting cults even after death) though given exactly HOW Bhaal showed up when he did, my guess is that his "Highlander Plan" finally worked out and the dude that exploded and turned into Bhaal was a Bhaalspawn without him knowing it. It's basically the same plan Bane had with Xvim after all, only Bane put all his eggs in one basket and Bhaal did not, though this meant it took about 110 years and 3 editions for his plan to finally come to fruition.

"It's almost like whenever you talk you flip through the dictionary and pull out words at random or something."

Edited by - Brylock on 14 Nov 2015 10:34:09
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30295 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  15:35:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lathander is a god of dawn, not of the sun. This is explicitly stated in the SCAG.

And Myrkul did not have any backup plan for coming back to life. We don't know how he returned to godhood, but his survival as an (non-divine) entity was an accident, and he did not seek a return to godhood -- he was explicitly stated as being happier not being a god.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Editor and scribe for The Candlekeep Compendium

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brylock
Seeker

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  16:12:46  Show Profile Send Brylock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Lathander is a god of dawn, not of the sun. This is explicitly stated in the SCAG.

And Myrkul did not have any backup plan for coming back to life. We don't know how he returned to godhood, but his survival as an (non-divine) entity was an accident, and he did not seek a return to godhood -- he was explicitly stated as being happier not being a god.

Myrkul had his hat.
The one that gave you his personality (or remnants of it) when you wore it.

"It's almost like whenever you talk you flip through the dictionary and pull out words at random or something."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30295 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  16:31:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brylock

quote:

Myrkul had his hat.
The one that gave you his personality (or remnants of it) when you wore it.

True, but his hat was not a backup plan -- it just happened to be close enough for him to hop into when he was slain. And he was happier occupying it and not being a deity -- this has been explicitly stated.

Go to Top of Page

Brylock
Seeker

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  16:45:52  Show Profile Send Brylock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He must be crankier then he used to be then, because he's back weather he wanted it or not.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2722 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  17:13:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He must be crankier then he used to be then, because he's back weather he wanted it or not.

Blame Ao for that...

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
30295 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  18:02:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've been pondering a plot by Myrkul to shed his godhood, but thus far, I've got nothing.

Go to Top of Page

Brylock
Seeker

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  18:12:24  Show Profile Send Brylock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

Blame Ao for that...

Was it ACTUALLY Ao?
There's basically zero explanation as to why things happened the way they happened I believe, and if Ao resurrected them then it certainly didn't mention it anywhere in the SCAG; guys like Myrkul and Azuth are just back, no explanation.
Beyond the real-life "perhaps changing literally everything about the Realms WAS a mistake after all" attitude WotC seems to have taken up.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2722 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  18:42:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Blame Ao for that...

Was it ACTUALLY Ao?
There's basically zero explanation as to why things happened the way they happened I believe, and if Ao resurrected them then it certainly didn't mention it anywhere in the SCAG; guys like Myrkul and Azuth are just back, no explanation.
Beyond the real-life "perhaps changing literally everything about the Realms WAS a mistake after all" attitude WotC seems to have taken up.

The book talks about the Sundering. The Sundering is started by Ao rewriting the Tablets of Fate and separating the two worlds again. So it's indirect, but it was him (it?).

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

Brylock
Seeker

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  19:08:00  Show Profile Send Brylock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Blame Ao for that...

Was it ACTUALLY Ao?

The book talks about the Sundering. The Sundering is started by Ao rewriting the Tablets of Fate and separating the two worlds again. So it's indirect, but it was him (it?).

Ao really IS the Deity of Editorial Whim or something, isn't he? Sheesh.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2722 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2015 :  19:15:09  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, his purpose is to be a deus-ex-machina, so...

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1172 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2015 :  00:53:21  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its interesting that according to the SCAG the Mulhorand Pantheon set aside last differences for the sake of the Mulhorand people and that the people love them for it, its like at first glance Mulhorand is back to its old pre 4e ways, but on closer examination its a new beginning and things really aren't the same.
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2015 :  20:51:51  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm a bit of an oddball, with the divine thing -- I want the gods to be as they were during 2E/3E. No divine soap operas, no bizarre culling of pantheons, no "Human deity X is really racial deity Y!", no "there's too many deities, so let us introduce a couple new ones!" -- none of that. By the same token, though, I like Leira and the Dead Three remaining dead, and my theory that Bane 2.0 is really Xvim.

Pretty much what I wanted to say.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P21 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000