Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A List of Drow Houses of Menzonberranzan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  06:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Im trying to dig up a bit of Realms lore

I recall that theres a FR supplement (Probably from 2ed era) or booklet that had a complete list of the Drow houses of Menzoberranzan the first 20 or so where detailed with persoanages and more deails and rest where either just names or had limited details.

Now the old Menzoberranzan boxset has a book called Houses which details the first 18 houses plus Jarxales band, But what Im really after is the names of the remaining 18+ Houses below them

Any ideas where this list might be?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  07:57:17  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can find the top 20 houses list from 4e sourcebook Menzoberranzan:City of Intrigue

Edited by - lsls on 29 Aug 2015 08:00:54
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  08:16:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're referring to the 2e boxed set Menzoberranzan. You can also google the list though it may not be 100% accurate. It also depends on what era you're working in (4e list is quite different from the 2e list).

This is a list I used for a game I was running a while back but it is homebrewed. Still, it is a fairly accurate representation from before the events in the Dark Elf Trilogy:

http://prntscr.com/8a5z3c

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 29 Aug 2015 08:19:16
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  08:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

You're referring to the 2e boxed set Menzoberranzan. You can also google the list though it may not be 100% accurate. It also depends on what era you're working in (4e list is quite different from the 2e list).

This is a list I used for a game I was running a while back but it is homebrewed. Still, it is a fairly accurate representation from before the events in the Dark Elf Trilogy:

http://prntscr.com/8a5z3c

Yeah I know about the House book from the Menzo boxset for the highest 20 or so but I could have sword Id seen a list of houses ranked under the first 20 (just names I think)

As for Menzoberranzan City of Intrigue I havent got it so it cant be what Im recalling.

However a question for those who bought it. Is it worth getting?

Id be using it for a 5th ed campaign (so the crunchy ness wont be useful as its a different rule set)

I have Drizzts Guide to the Underdark, Drow of the Underdark, Underdark and the Menzoberranzan box set

I will be buying Out of the Abyss which Ill likely be running

So bearing that it mind do you think City of Intrigue is worth getting?

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  08:40:40  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have it but I've heard good things about it. Most folks seem to feel it was one of the better 4e products despite the (generally) low opinion of 4e Realms. I'm sure someone will chime in about it soon.

Are you running a 5e campaign in the current Realms? Or using 5e for an earlier timeframe? I ask because the Houses I listed include those that were destroyed by Agrach Dyrr and other Houses. All you would need is a little tweaking to fix that part (example: looking under House Dyrr you'll find the Houses they eliminated listed for you). Just a consideration.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  08:43:08  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By the way, there is this list on the FR Wiki. Not sure how accurate it really is and it's a bit of a mess, but perhaps it will help:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_drow_houses

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  08:56:56  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I don't have it but I've heard good things about it. Most folks seem to feel it was one of the better 4e products despite the (generally) low opinion of 4e Realms. I'm sure someone will chime in about it soon.

Are you running a 5e campaign in the current Realms? Or using 5e for an earlier timeframe? I ask because the Houses I listed include those that were destroyed by Agrach Dyrr and other Houses. All you would need is a little tweaking to fix that part (example: looking under House Dyrr you'll find the Houses they eliminated listed for you). Just a consideration.

Current timeline as the Campaign will use 1 (and likely a boosted 2nd) 5ed printed campaign ie Rise of Tiamat, Princes of the Apocolypse, and out of the Abyss.

Campaign will likely start with Rise of Tiamat or Prince of the Apocolypse (The elemental temples and backstory will be altered)and then goto Out of the Abyss (Which will need helty booosting to make it a 15-20 adventure)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  09:20:41  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Menzoberranzan City of Intrigue:

1297 DR(Birth of Drizzt)
1. Baenre
2. Barrison Del'Armgo
3. Oblodra
4. DeVir
5. Hrost Ulu'ar
6. Hun'ett
7. Faen Tlabbar
8. Xorlarrin
9. Agrach Dyrr
10.Do'Urden
11.Fey-Branche
12.Freth
13.Mizzrym
14.Tuin'Tarl
15.Duskryn
16.Kenafin
17.Teken'duis
18.Symryvvin
19.Srune'Lett
20.Horlbar

1328 DR(Drizzt's Exile)
1. Baenre
2. Barrison Del'Armgo
3. Oblodra
4. Hrost Ulu'ar
5. Hun'ett
6. Faen Tlabbar
7. Xorlarrin
8. Agrach Dyrr
9. Do'Urden
10.Fey-Branche
11.Mizzrym
12.Tuin'Tarl
13.Duskryn
14.Srune'Lett
15.Kenafin
16.Horlbar
17.Druu'giir
18.Symryvvin
19.Hunzrin
20.Shobalar

1358 DR(ToT)
1. Baenre
2. Barrison Del'Armgo
3. Oblodra
4. Faen Tlabbar
5. Xorlarrin
6. Agrach Dyrr
7. Mizzrym
8. Fey-Branche
9. Tuin'Tarl
10.Duskryn
11.Srune'Lett
12.Horlbar
13.Kenafin
14.Druu'giir
15.Hunzrin
16.Shobalar
17.Vandree
18.Symryvvin
19.Ixit'shii
20.H'Kar

1372 DR(War of the Spider Queen)
1. Baenre
2. Barrison Del'Armgo
3. Faen Tlabbar
4. Xorlarrin
5. Agrach Dyrr
6. Mizzrym
7. Fey-Branche
8. Tuin'Tarl
9. Duskryn
10.Kenafin
11.Srune'Lett
12.Horlbar
13.Druu'giir
14.Hunzrin
15.Shobalar
16.Ixit'shii
17.Higure
18.Symryvvin
19.Fathomlin
20.Vandree

1480 DR(Demon Weave)
1. Baenre
2. Barrison Del'Armgo
3. Xorlarrin
4. Faen Tlabbar
5. Mizzrym
6. Fey-Branche
7. Melarn
8. Vandree
9. Duskryn
10.Druu'giir
11.Hunzrin
12.Ixit'shii
13.Higure
14.Millithor
15.Ignin'ri
16.T'orgh
17.Despana
18.Symryvvin
19.Ousstyl
20.Godeep
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  09:33:11  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy genocide Spider goddess

Tuin'Tarl
Duskryn
Kenafin
Srune'Lett
Horlbar
Druu'giir
Hunzrin
Shobalar
Ixit'shii
Higure
Symryvvin
Fathomlin

All of these Houses have been destroyed in the last 100 years

Oddly some of the Drow houses seem to have backslid over the year I thought you had to kill a higher drow house to advance

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks

Edited by - Dargoth on 29 Aug 2015 09:38:39
Go to Top of Page

lsls
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  10:16:46  Show Profile Send lsls a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Tuin'Tarl
Duskryn
Kenafin
Srune'Lett
Horlbar
Druu'giir
Hunzrin
Shobalar
Ixit'shii
Higure
Symryvvin
Fathomlin

Oddly some of the Drow houses seem to have backslid over the year I thought you had to kill a higher drow house to advance

House Kenafin and House Horlbar united into House Melarn a decade after the end of Lolth's silence.

House Agrach Dyrr,Tuin'Tarl,Srune'Lett,Shobalar and Fathomlin ruined after the War of the Spider Queen.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  16:58:22  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

However a question for those who bought it. Is it worth getting?

Id be using it for a 5th ed campaign (so the crunchy ness wont be useful as its a different rule set)

I have Drizzts Guide to the Underdark, Drow of the Underdark, Underdark and the Menzoberranzan box set

I will be buying Out of the Abyss which Ill likely be running

So bearing that it mind do you think City of Intrigue is worth getting?

City of Intrigue has a lot of edition neutral mechanics that you can port to 5e if you want to run a game where making your personal reputation / House reputation is a key part of your campaign.
I have Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, but I don't have the other two. I'd say it was worth it. The whole tome is fairly editon neutral, giving you info on how the city has changed politically throughout the editions.
It details a few of the Houses, and I want to say it gives some tips and guidelines for creating your own lesser House. I'm away from books, so I can't speak to how good of a guide it gives.
I'd get it just for the lovely poster map of Menzo that comes with the book.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2015 :  17:03:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would expect there are some other factors... Known strength of arms, number of priestesses of Lolth, financial status, and relationships with other Houses. The last would include alliances, but also which Houses were supported in which power struggles. If House X is one of the top dogs, and it supports Houses P, Q, and R, and all of those Houses are defeated by allies of House Y (another top dog), that's got to be reflected in the internal rankings, somehow.

It could also be the whim of Lolth, which is a huge factor in Menzoberranzanian (is that a word? ) politics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  00:42:41  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tuin'Tarl
Duskryn
Kenafin
Srune'Lett
Horlbar
Druu'giir
Hunzrin
Shobalar
Ixit'shii
Higure
Symryvvin
Fathomlin

You can add Vandree to that list, as IIRC, they were destroyed as well.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  03:24:50  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Vandree is 7th Family to the throne of Menzoberranzan.

As of Out of the Abyss, here's the Ruling Council:

1. Baenre (Quenthel Baenre)
2. Barrison Del'Armgo (Mez'Barris Armgo)
3. Faen Tlabbar (Vadalma Tlabbar)
4. Mizzrym (Miz'ri Mizzrym)
5. Fey-Branche (Byrtyn Fey)
6. Melarn (Zhindia Melarn)
7. Vandree (Fiirnel'ther Vandree)
8. Do'Urden (Dahlia Sin'felle)

Edited by - Eilserus on 30 Sep 2015 03:31:46
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  03:38:04  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duskryn is 9th House still I believe. Unless I missed or am forgetting something. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  03:49:06  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh. Well, I sort of lost track before the Demon Weave storyline that, and last I'd heard, the House had been wiped out. Must've been some survivors I wasn't aware of. I know that Liriel's mother was from that House, before Gromph killed her. How the heck did they get that high though? They were always considered a lesser House of no great importance or power.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u

Edited by - Alystra Illianniis on 30 Sep 2015 03:49:46
Go to Top of Page

Gurgle Gobblespit
Acolyte

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  07:03:49  Show Profile Send Gurgle Gobblespit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd think the other Houses would be smart enough to conspire and knock down House Baenre a notch or two.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  12:22:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gurgle Gobblespit

You'd think the other Houses would be smart enough to conspire and knock down House Baenre a notch or two.

You'd think that the drow would see, after millennia, that Lolth has only made their people wither, stagnate and suffer, and yet...

Thing is, WotC wants some things to stay as they are, because they like them that way, and won't allow them to change no matter what.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  13:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ended up getting Archmage, Out of the Abyss and City of Intrigue

You really should read Archmage if your going to run Out of the Abyss as he provides alot of info that isnt included in Out of the Abyss. There more backstabbing and betrayl going on in that book than a first term Liberal/Labor goverment!

Incidently are the 4ed Neverwinter and Underdark books any good?

Neverwinter has been some what of a Blackhole for lore in 1ed/2ed/3ed so Im some waht suprised it got its own source book in 4ed

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  15:21:22  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I ended up getting Archmage, Out of the Abyss and City of Intrigue

You really should read Archmage if your going to run Out of the Abyss as he provides alot of info that isnt included in Out of the Abyss. There more backstabbing and betrayl going on in that book than a first term Liberal/Labor goverment!

Incidently are the 4ed Neverwinter and Underdark books any good?

Neverwinter has been some what of a Blackhole for lore in 1ed/2ed/3ed so Im some waht suprised it got its own source book in 4ed

Despite my misgivings for the 4e Campaign Setting, I liked the Neverwinter book for 4e. It really fleshed out the city and the surrounding area. It gave the city a level of political intrigue that's fun for me. Lord Neverember of Waterdeep and the Nashers was one of my favorite conflicts.
I don't recall it giving much edition neutral information like the City of Intrigue book, but if you're playing in that region post-Sundering, I'd say it's a valuable resource, even if you do tweak a few details.
I can't speak to Underdark. I haven't even browsed it.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2015 :  23:53:46  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

You'd think that the drow would see, after millennia, that Lolth has only made their people wither, stagnate and suffer, and yet...

Thing is, WotC wants some things to stay as they are, because they like them that way, and won't allow them to change no matter what.

I think a big part of this would be the lies that bind that society together. A perfect example is the Loremaster Hatch'net spinning his tales. Women run the show, and any male who starts questioning things too much or wondering if the priestesses or current dogma are wrong end up on an altar or turned into a drider.

Though Salvatore has mentioned that the male drow of the city curse Drizzt's name in front of the females but actually look up to him in some sort of way. So maybe it is somewhat known, but there's no way out of the heritage trap.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2015 :  01:11:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:

I think a big part of this would be the lies that bind that society together. A perfect example is the Loremaster Hatch'net spinning his tales. Women run the show, and any male who starts questioning things too much or wondering if the priestesses or current dogma are wrong end up on an altar or turned into a drider.

Though Salvatore has mentioned that the male drow of the city curse Drizzt's name in front of the females but actually look up to him in some sort of way. So maybe it is somewhat known, but there's no way out of the heritage trap.

It's not just the males, it's the whole people that should give the middle finger to Lolth (and really, Drizzt is a very recent thing, when you have Eilistraee and Vhaeraun who have been trying to open the drow's eyes for millennia...). Just think about it:

Lolth doesn't care about her people developing arts, magic, or anything that could improve the quality of their life or their odds of success, she doesn't care about them developing in any way, and is responsible for their utter stagnation and general failures.

What have the drow achieved over millennia, under Lolth's tyranny? When someone creates art, or magic or something new that could bring progress (and I'm not saying that the drow don't do that, they can be creative, ofc), it doesn't matter unless said someone uses it to kill other drow and ''raise in status''. The research for anything that could bring advancement to their people is abandoned in favor of focusing one's intelligence and abilities towards backstabbing, because that is the only thing that counts. Humans have achieved impressive feats (just think of the magic of Imaskar, Netheril, Halruaa); Elves have their High Magic, capable of creating wonders and lay waste, their art and crafts; the drow have... crafts based on magic that draws power from some underground phenomenon, that couldn't even work on the surface before Liriel --who ironically violated every thing Lolth stands for, except maybe ''chaos''-- found a way to make it function there.

Compare with what the drow were before Lolth: followers of Eilistraee in Miyeritar made it flourish into one of the greatest centers of art and high magic in Faerun; Ilythiir, where Vhaeraun's faith was strong, could stand toe to toe with the empire of Aryvandaar. Then enters Lolth, and the drow wither. Seems that her ''survival of the fittest'' is a rather disastrous idea.

Lolth doesn't care about her followers in any way (save that they must be her property), and is willing to throw them away like toys, even when they have proved valuable assets. If WotC wanted to go for a more complex, ''realistic'' development instead of simply enforcing stuff, *a lot* of drow would have given the middle finger to Lolth a long time ago, especically when you have other drow and even two deities who go out of their way just to make it happen. No being wants to live a joyless, choice-less, ugly life, with no development or possibility of self-fulfillment whatsoever beyond ''you must kill other people and get teh powah''.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 01 Oct 2015 02:17:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000