Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Roughly, how big is the forest of Cormanthor?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  15:40:47  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just how big is the forest of Cormanthor? Like how long would it take you go from one end to the other?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  16:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick guesstimate, using the 3e map of Faerun that came in the Campaign Guide and a tape measure, the forest of Cormanthor is about 4 inches across at it's widest point, East to West, which is about 480 miles. Going of the travel pace table in the 5e Player's Handbook, at a fast pace, you can cover 30 miles in a day's travel as long as the way is clear. However, being a forest, it's considered difficult terrain, so you would halve that value. So 15 miles per day is your rate, 480 miles is your distance. d=rt, it would take you 32 days to cross the forest, assuming no encounters, detours to avoid monsters, interruptions, etc.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  16:54:31  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good guestimate, Delwa. I pulled out my 2e maps from the revised campaign setting, which include transparency hex overlays for measuring distances. At its broadest, from the edge of Shadowdale to the River Lis, Cormanthor is pretty close to exactly 400 miles across.

Further south, it's anywhere between 250 and 350 miles from the edge of the forest north of the Semberflow and south of the road coming out of Tilverton to the edge of Scardale/Harrowdale.

Distance also depends on your game edition. I'll defer to Delwa for 5e. In 2e, you can move overland twice as many miles as your movement rate. So if you're a human, that's 24 miles/day. But the vast majority of Cormanthor would be heavy forest, which reduces your movement by 4. So you'd be looking at 6 miles a day, unless you know of the local paths.

Which, come to think of it, gives you another idea of why elves always have an advantage in the forest. If they can move twice as fast as any invader, that's a pretty massive advantage just in itself.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  17:01:08  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wish they would have done an extensive guide to Cormanthor. I have the Cormanthyr Empire of Elves book but it focuses more on the way things used to be. Well it was an Arcane Age product.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  17:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I really wish they would have done an extensive guide to Cormanthor. I have the Cormanthyr Empire of Elves book but it focuses more on the way things used to be. Well it was an Arcane Age product.

I haven't read that one myself, but could you perhaps "age" it (if there's a magnificent tower described, for example, now there would be only overgrown sections of the foundation remaining)
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2015 :  18:44:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of the most in-depth looks at the forest is actually Fall of Myth Drannor, since it tracks the entire three year war through the forest and often comments off-handedly on local landmarks (tree towns, noble manors, etc.). It, combined with Cormanthyr, are the two best sources on the forest.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  03:46:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To-Scale Comparison

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Aug 2015 03:47:07
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  14:29:17  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it's roughly the size of me own country plus GB.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  14:49:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the seaway in between. :)

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  15:12:25  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmmmmmmm plenty of space for several ancient elven cities that now lie in ruin.

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  16:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. And remember that there were realms that aren't forested any longer. For instance, the entire nation of Uvaeren sat where Deepingdale now lies, and was destroyed in a single night by a meteor. No telling what you'll find underground...

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2015 :  19:39:29  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Yep. And remember that there were realms that aren't forested any longer. For instance, the entire nation of Uvaeren sat where Deepingdale now lies, and was destroyed in a single night by a meteor. No telling what you'll find underground...

Well whatever you find it was enough to scare away a bunch of netherese tomb robbers.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  16:36:01  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

So it's roughly the size of me own country plus GB.

The main 'body' of the forest is roughly the size of Ireland, and you can toss-in Scotland for the stuff the extends over onto the other coast, and Wales for the parts that hang down toward Cormyr.

Lets leave England out of this - don't want anybody getting any ideas about 'building empires'.

But yeah... several forests in FR are far larger then many modern countries... The Realms are FREAKIN' HUGE.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2015 16:36:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000