Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Slaughter of Sharrven
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2015 :  21:27:35  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
George Krashos' piece on Jergal at the Realms Secretariat made me curious about this event. I was wondering if any of the designers who hang around Candlekeep could elaborate a little more beyond what has been published.
Right now I'm most interested in what kind of 'monstrous' races had such a surge in their population more specifically and how (were they summoned through gates?).
Ideally I'd like to be able to show a scene from the Slaughter of Sharrven to one of my players through a Kiira gemory.

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  22:59:05  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would Velti'Enorethal have been considered part of Sharrven? Would Thelthin'dul?

« There is no overriding « epic » in the Realms, but rather a large number of stories, adventures, and encounters going on all the time. [...]. Each creative mind adds to the base, creating, defining, and making their contribution to the rich diversity of the Realms. [...]. But Ed built the stage upon which all the plays are presented. Thanks Ed. » -FR Comic no.1

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 04 Aug 2015 23:35:26
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  02:28:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Duneth Despana

Would Velti'Enorethal have been considered part of Sharrven? Would Thelthin'dul?

Where are those names from?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2015 :  09:03:36  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Where are those names from?

-- George Krashos

They're from Legacy of the Green Regent.
Ed+THO mention Velti'enorethal answering a question about Loudwater's layout (asked by username:Karth).
Telthin'dul is the name of one of the elven settlements that have stood where Shining Falls is now.

Edited by - Duneth Despana on 05 Aug 2015 09:05:22
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  01:09:00  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My instinctive response is "no" re a link between these places and Sharrven. Sharrven fell millennia ago.

Velti'enorethal looks to be some elven wizard school in present-day (i.e. 1350s DR) Loudwater. More likely that it has ties with Evereska.

I can't find any information on Telthin'dul.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Aug 2015 01:09:27
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  02:20:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a small halfling village at Shining Falls (also called 'Shining Falls') there in 3e, as of the Green Regent modules. I don't recall how Eric fit that in, nor if there was ever any mention of Telthin'dul.

Don't know why the halflings would have wanted to settle there, right downriver from a Fiend infestation. I guess the devils refer to the place as 'Snack bar'.
EDIT: I think by the end of the installment it was introduced, the village was all-but-abandoned anyway. Disease, IIRC.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Aug 2015 02:22:16
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  03:26:03  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Velti'Enorethal was THE building that started Loudwater (it was a temple and school dedicated to Labelas Enoreth). The bridge over the Delimbiyr came next and the rest of the city grew up around them.

Was Telthin'dul the elven settlement that predated the halfling one at Shining Falls? I'm away from a lot of my LGR books right now.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  08:10:27  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Was Telthin'dul the elven settlement that predated the halfling one at Shining Falls? I'm away from a lot of my LGR books right now.

quote:

Telthin'dul is the name of one of the elven settlements that have stood where Shining Falls is now.

Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  08:24:23  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My instinctive response is "no" re a link between these places and Sharrven. Sharrven fell millennia ago.

'The Slaughter of Sharrven: The elven realm of Sharrven fragments and falls due to an inexplicable explosion of the monstrous population within the southern High Forest. Survivors flee to Eaerlann and Evereska, and the realm lies vacant but for a few settlements and outposts (though the southern forest retain the name "Sharrven" until the modern era). '

Which I understand as Baerithryn, Delsaran et cie. from 'Elminster the Making of a Mage' technically being Sharrvenyr (?) ... Sharrveni (whatever the correct term is)?

So my initial question was (as well as inquiring which sort of monsters were involved): what about these two other settlements that seem to be too southern to be Eaerlanni?

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  13:06:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm full of questions. Where did you get that Sharrven quote from, specifically the part you put in bold?

-- George Krashos

EDIT: Ah, got it: Cormanthyr. We kind of 'tidied up' that reference in GHotR.

I note that I don't have all of the Legacy of the Green Regent material but checking the FR Wiki (which I assume references it) it is noted that Velti'Enorethal is founded after 149 DR. Not quite sure why a dwarf would build a bridge for his "elven friends" but hey, whatever. Whilst it's possible that the moon elven families who found this settlement are descended from elves of Sharrven, again the time that has passed (approx 3000 years) means that the ties would be tenuous at best. As before, I consider that the contemporaneous Eaerlann and Evereska represent more appropriate origin points for these elves, but anything is possible.

Edited by - George Krashos on 06 Aug 2015 13:27:32
Go to Top of Page

Duneth Despana
Learned Scribe

Belgium
273 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2015 :  15:34:02  Show Profile Send Duneth Despana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not quite sure why a dwarf would build a bridge for his "elven friends" but hey, whatever.

Maybe for the same reasons dwelves exist, maybe for the same reason Isinghar Ironstar helped erect Myth Glaurach's mythal.
Maybe it is as Baerithryn says that both 'Elves-and the Stout Folk[...]live close to the land' and maybe shared more than the two races do in other worlds (at least Ammarindar + Eaerlann/Sharrven).
For example there was never a War of the Beard (the 'Warhammer' universe) in the Forgotten Realms ... that I know of at least (The conflict between Dorn's Deep and the Hand of the Seldarine comes to mind but I don't think it came anywhere close in scale).
Thanks for your interest ^_^
Say, can you maybe shine a light on which monsters would have been amongst those overrunning Sharrven?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000