Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What was Gond's Relationships with the God/ddess's
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  05:24:06  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What was Gond's Relationships with the God/ddess's of Nature?

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  14:33:50  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There just isn't much in the way of interaction between them. It's more or less up to you to make inferences about it.

Gond and the gods/goddesses of Nature have a common ally with Lathander, and they have a common foe with Talos.

On the other hand, Gond tends to ally with Tempus, and Eldath is opposed to Tempus.

Beyond that, it's pretty wide open...

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  17:16:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gond almost appears to be an outsider when it comes to the pantheon. I personally think he is an interloper, but perhaps an old one. The rest of the deities seem put-off by him (they don't know what to make of a good who doesn't like magic!)

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  19:09:37  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what advice would you have, I have a player who wants to be a druid who worships and honors Gond instead of the normal nature powers. He wants to be creative and nature based builder/inventor as the aspects of Gond give off, as Gond has no really no negative aspects that a druid would object to besides industry and creations that use up the worlds resources on some inventions.
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  23:46:57  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always got the impression from 2E and 3E F.R. lore that the worship of Gond and his power was always on the ascent ... albeit slow and still focused in a rather small, tight demographic niche. He's basically the F.R.'s primitive & quixotic version of the Technology God.

Here's 2 of the 4 paragraphs that make up Gond's Dogma (and are relevant to the OP's question):

All Gondar are to strive to make new things that work. All of Gond's clergy should become skilled at forging, casting, or tempering, and practice various means of joining and fastening until they are adept at making things to fit a space or situation with which they are confronted. To venerate Gond is to continually question and challenge the unknown with new devices and items. Elegance and usefulness are the two legs any new making should stand on.

Gondar must practice experimentation and innovation in the making of tools and implementation of processes and encourage these virtues in others through direct aid, sponsorship, and diplomatic support. They should strive to make farmers, hunters, and others think of new tools, improved ways of crafting and using their existing gear, and new ways of doing things.

The mention that *ALL* Gond clergy should forge and cast could theoretically be problematic to a Gondian druid - unless he gets creative in forging and casting concepts involving wood, stone, raw ore and what-not. Although the later statement they should strive to make farmers and hunters think of new tools could be something that your druid player may wish to emphasize ... as those are pursuits of control that a druid could be seen as usefully involved in. Think modern-day permaculture ... and the managing of the necessary protections and culls of hunted species.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000