Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Araumycos- what is it,why do the gods never speak
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  04:24:18  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear Friends,
This is my first time at this fabled Keep of Lore, I've heard from another great sage ( Mr. Richard Baker) that certain great personages sometimes visit here, and though he was unable to anwser my query, perhabs someone her might be able to help with my research.
My question Araumycos- Who or what is it? Is it sentient?
What does it guard? Why do the gods of Toril never speak of it?Does it guard anything? Why are the shades intrested in what it covers?

Ive taken the time to read the FRCS pg 211, the Underdark pg 126, but all that does it hint at something else, any help would be greatly appreciated. My thanks to all.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  06:41:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've done a little research on this great fungus before. Here's a little of what I've discovered so far -
quote:
Araumycos: Araumycos, a great fungus, fills the Underdark beneath the High Forest between one and three miles from the surface. Possibly the oldest living organism in the Faerun, the fungus predates the empires of the elves. It cannot reach beyond the borders of the forest above it and pieces of it taken away quickly die, so it may be magically or symbiotically tied to the forest. While susceptible to fire, acid, and similar attacks, it is immune to magic and no endeavor has eradicated much of it for long. In fact, it sometimes unleashes mental attacks upon its aggressors. Occasionally entire portions die, revealing ruined cities or colonies of fungus-folk, but the cause and origin of the growth remains unknown.
It's taken from the WotC website.

You may also want to check through the crosswinds.net website. I believe they had some information (both official and fan-created) on their site, the last time I was there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  07:13:06  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage,
Thank you very much for taking the time to anwser my question even though I have this info already.
I did try crosswinds. net website but I found some company, do i have the wrong domain name?
And have you ever heard anything else cannon or no about Araumycos?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  07:17:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides what I have already presented, the source materials in the two FR tomes you've mentioned, and the information that was located at the crosswinds.net site...I've been unable to uncover anything more (official) about the great fungus.

Sorry...

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  07:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well,
Thank you I appreciate your time and effort, I've heard that Mr Greenwood sometimes is kind enough to anwser some questions here
(Mr Baker said he would be the person to ask this quetion to); so I'm hoping and praying, If you hear my plea "O ye grand sage of Faerun".
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  08:32:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd repost this in the novel section on these boards, where Ed is fielding questions. :) Your'll probably get a quicker answer in that thread.....

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2004 :  08:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Kuje31 I just did that.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  04:43:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Prince Forge, have you uncovered anything further about the great fungus, Araumycos?...

I only ask because I have some friends from the UK emailing to me their fan-created work-up for this entity that they created several years ago. I'll send it to you, once it arrives.

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  08:52:57  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Sage,
The Hooded One was kind enough to pass some info from Elminster himself (Very intresting info I must say) , the Scroll is in the Novel section under Questions for a person known as Ed Greenwood
( what a strange name eh?)

I would greatly appreciate your assistance and information from your friends also, my thanks PFoA.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  09:51:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great to hear .

If I may, I'll pass along your email address to them, so they can send it direct. If your not too happy with that, just let me know, and I'll send it out to you instead...

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  10:08:24  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sure, Go right ahead thats fine with me. Thanks

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  10:20:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a problem them

Whilst I was talking to my friends, they also spoke of some Araumycos servants that they've also worked-up, as well as a PrC based along similar lines as the 'Thrall of Juiblex' from BoVD. Would you be interested in any of this materials as well...?

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2004 :  18:26:01  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ABSOLUTELY, there is NO such thing as TOO MUCH REALMSLORE!!!!

hehehehe!!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2004 :  00:40:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent...

Anyway, I've passed along your email address, so expect to hear from my friends soon...

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  05:34:53  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sage, please take the time to let me know who I will be getting mail from , as I tend to delete any emailes that I dont know who they are from, thank you.

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2004 :  07:00:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, okay then.

I can't remember the email service they use (whether it is hotmail, dragonlance.zzn, or whatever), but the first portion of their address in always onewiththevorlons. Just keep an eye out for that address, and you shouldn't have any problems...

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  06:34:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Eric Boyd's notes on DDGttU he wrote the following:

"The name "Araumycos" is derived from the dwarven word "great" as defined in FR11 - Dwarves Deep, p.11 and "mycos" an alternate root for "fungus". This idea springs from a phone conversation with either Ed Greenwood or Steven Schend in whic the discovery of a gigantic fungus in the wilds of canada was discussed."

As Araumycos was Eric's creation, I'm not sure that Ed will be able to shed much light on it. In fact, save for the info in DDGttU and FRCS III, there isn't anything else 'canon' on this phenomenon. Basically. do whatever suits you with Araumycos - it's unlikely to be contradicted 'officially' for a long time, if at all.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  07:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you George,
I found Ed's comments on Araumycos Very intresting though he did defer to Eric, as a matter of fact it seems Eric has worked on the High Forest alot, Araumycos, the GF tree, Mintipers chapbooks, etc.

Would any one know if he visits these Forums or how i might contact him with a few questions?

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  07:35:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed does not come directly to these forums, but he answers questions thru one of his former players. The forum is here:

http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1901

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  17:29:40  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually Wooly, I meant Eric Boyd, I hate to keep nagging Ed with my questions. Thanks

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  03:18:53  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric (as well as being a super approachable guy) can be contacted through his website: www.ericlboyd.com

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  07:06:06  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you again George!

By the way I asked Alaundo to give you and Steven a permanent sticky under FR rpg products, he was kind enough to email me back and tell me he was already thinking about doing such a thing .

PFoA/Joe
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  08:40:14  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

Thank you again George!

By the way I asked Alaundo to give you and Steven a permanent sticky under FR rpg products, he was kind enough to email me back and tell me he was already thinking about doing such a thing .

PFoA/Joe

Well met

Indeed, such scrolls will be available shortly

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  01:16:48  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this was fun to read
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  20:02:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd suggested something re Araumycos for the Sundering event but am thinking that it doesn't fit with WotC's plans for that event in the context of the upcoming FR sourcebook for 5E.

When it's all done and dusted, I might say more.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  20:45:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

Thank you again George!

PFoA/Joe

Well met

Indeed, such scrolls will be available shortly

Shortly? So say 2016? :P
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2016 :  01:46:38  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Eric (as well as being a super approachable guy) can be contacted through his website: www.ericlboyd.com

-- George Krashos

Do you know if Eric has any plans to make his work on the High Forest and Araumycos available in any way?
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2017 :  03:58:05  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah goes without saying but, OP? Ever heard of Out of The Abyss? XD Auromycos talks in it. Sooooo~

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2017 :  04:29:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

Yeah goes without saying but, OP? Ever heard of Out of The Abyss? XD Auromycos talks in it. Sooooo~

It should also go without saying that the original post was in 2004, long before WotC had even heard of Out of the Abyss.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2020 :  23:55:24  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

That certainly does make sense; however, I wonder after having read Dragon #366 on page 78, where they started planning for the destruction of the Realms in 2005, if they started pulling in ideas on things to at least research in the future? I do agree though, they didn't do it at that time in light of this forum being from 2004.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

It should also go without saying that the original post was in 2004, long before WotC had even heard of Out of the Abyss.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000