Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Age of First Flowering
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  15:33:54  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met again,
I havenīt posted for long time as I was busy mastering my game. In my research I have reached depths of Faerunīs history that are somewhat murky so I have decided to ask you for your help.

All other eras of Faerun have quite a lot of turmoil going on but era of First Flowering (-24 000 DR: -12 000 DR) is almost free of any disturbance, looking like there have been peace over 10 000 years of time. Since most of the big empires (Batrachi, Sarrukh, Dragons, Giants) have been lost at beggining of this time and given elven obvious distrust of other races (not enslaving them) I see no reason for other cultures to not develop in empty spaces between elven settlements, especialy in the eastern heartlands. Only major event should be Sundering but I presume it mainly affected coastal areas.

Do you know about any source for this period that I could have missed? I am not interested right now about Kara Tur, Zakhara or any other landmass.

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  17:05:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is significant turmoil. It's called the Crown Wars and involves the various elven races warring with each other incessantly. Refer to "Grand History of the Realms" and the "Cormanthyr" sourcebooks for more information.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2015 :  21:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

There is significant turmoil. It's called the Crown Wars and involves the various elven races warring with each other incessantly. Refer to "Grand History of the Realms" and the "Cormanthyr" sourcebooks for more information.

-- George Krashos

Thank you George but if I am correct, Crown Wars starts at -12000 ending -9000 DR (p.12 GHotR). That part seems right but 10 000 years before that only elves settle on Faerun and nothing big except Sundering happens (important event but not explaning this much time vacant).
In my personal theory (based on Dawn cycles) there should be one more "full cycle" (rise and fall of major civilisation).
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  05:41:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh true, a bit loose in my terminology. War of Three Leaves. Sundering. Rise of the Vyshaan - those are the known events.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  11:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It just doesn't fit in my opinion, greatest empires of Faerun spanned about 3000-5000 years. 10 000 years is complete known history of real mankind for argument's sake... I would welcome any thoughts on this even outside of cannon history - pointers to some less known power group that could have had its prime at this moment in history. Also I am a little surprised that nobody noticed it...
Go to Top of Page

Cyrinishad
Learned Scribe

300 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  15:58:31  Show Profile Send Cyrinishad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you brought this up Wrigley, but I think it's less a matter of no one noticing the lack of information on the period... I just don't think a lot of people are running games set in the time period, so the topic hasn't come up.

However, I will say that when it come to History, we all know that History is written by the victorious... and the lack of information outside of the known events George has mentioned, actually seems entirely consistent with Corellon & the Elves holding the pen. Especially, when this would be during a time they are colonizing a Foreign World... You can see a parallel to this in Europe's colonization of Africa, and how little is documented about African history relative to European history.

It's also important to remember that Elves lifespans are about 10 times longer than ours, so in relative terms that 10,000 years of Elven history, equates to about 1,000 years of Earth history. The Crown Wars would take up about 300 years, in relative Earth time...

I think you're 100% correct in your presumption that other cultures developed in the "empty" areas, but we just don't know about them, because they didn't write the History books (or maybe the Elves just made sure those History books were never found).

To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge. -Socrates

Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. -Dr. Seuss
Go to Top of Page

Wrigley
Senior Scribe

Czech Republic
605 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2015 :  17:59:45  Show Profile  Visit Wrigley's Homepage Send Wrigley a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cyrinishad

I think you're 100% correct in your presumption that other cultures developed in the "empty" areas, but we just don't know about them, because they didn't write the History books (or maybe the Elves just made sure those History books were never found).

I have been thinking about just cutting this timeframe out but I would rather be true to the cannon...

OK so lets presume there are two distinct eras in this period. One from -23 000 DR - elves already here after dealing with current rulers (dragons) with dracorage mythal. They begin to make their own settlements after freeing themselves from dragon overlords. This era should be in the theme of decline as it is in my musing the Dusk part of the cycle and it ends with cataclysmatic event of Sundering - another typical elven stamping their territory. Lets say they might be so desperate that they dare to call their gods for direct support on Faerun. What could make them do that?

Second era is from -17 000 DR to -12 000 DR and it should be in the theme of Dawn. Elves are rising again from their own disaster (Sundering), dwarves are settling in Faerun but again nothing officialy happened in 5000 years...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000