Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:23:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure still, but that seems to be the case. A general introduction that talks about the return of the gods with the Sundering, and then a list of the deities in the current era, plus their domains. Human gods have some info about them, though.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Oct 2015 02:24:24
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:31:05  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms overview has a paragraph or two each for the current state of all the major cities/kingdoms of Faerun. The second chapter has a breakdown of the Sword Coast and the North, each city/kingdom has a page or more.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

The Realms overview has a paragraph or two each for the current state of all the major cities/kingdoms of Faerun. The second chapter has a breakdown of the Sword Coast and the North, each city/kingdom has a page or more.

You're making me jealous. Does it say anything about Myth Drannor / Cormanthor?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:34:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I haven't got the book, just skimming through various threads on enworld/reddit.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:37:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a few of them: this one, for example (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?471045-New-SCAG-Info-Someone-Got-The-Book)

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:54:24  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:

You're making me jealous. Does it say anything about Myth Drannor / Cormanthor?

Cormathor/Myth Drannor get just a couple mentions in the timeline... Cormyr doesn't get much attention either, just two paragraphs.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Oct 2015 02:55:27
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:55:52  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So much for nice, decent updates. I wouldn't call a list/timeline an update *sighs*

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:57:15  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

So much for nice, decent updates. I wouldn't call a list/timeline an update *sighs*

Technically they are, as they tell you what's the current picture, but yeah... it is just bare bone info, and a big let down from what I've gathered.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  02:59:44  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Technically, true, but as you said, bare bones. To me, it doesn't really qualify as an update. .

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:02:19  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Technically, true, but as you said, bare bones. To me, it doesn't really qualify as an update. .

It's rather discouraging, almost as if they were telling us ''yeah, we listened: here are your gods, here are your Mulhorand/Unther/Maztica. Now shut up''.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:03:15  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:18:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Btw, apparently Maztica doesn't even get mentioned...

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:37:46  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Mulhorandi deities are all demipowers now, and receive just a passing mention in the sidebar.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Oct 2015 03:38:08
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:39:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What makes up the bulk of the book, if most things are just a list or a paragraph?

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:44:22  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I too hope the demihuman deities get a write-up.

Yeah, it's lame that we just get ''they're back like the others; use these domains for them''.

That's still more then Sharess got, she's been left out entirely I hear. Could she be under Zandilar in the Elf Chart?

It weird because her son's back in the drow chart I hear.

Sharess is briefly mentioned in the Erin M. Evans book.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:46:20  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What makes up the bulk of the book, if most things are just a list or a paragraph?

The gods alone, with the explanation that the Sundering brought them back, take about 20 pages. General overview on how religion is practiced takes about 2 pages. Crunch (classes+races+backgrounds+some lore about how races/classes fit in Faerun) is around 60 pages. So we're left with like 80 pages. About 15 of them include an overview of Faerun and recent history (so, further brief paragraphs/lists), so I guess that 60-ish pages are dedicated to detaling the Sword Coast.

Human gods get some small writeups. As I said, I'm not sure whether demihuman ones get it too.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:49:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

quote:

I too hope the demihuman deities get a write-up.

Yeah, it's lame that we just get ''they're back like the others; use these domains for them''.

That's still more then Sharess got, she's been left out entirely I hear. Could she be under Zandilar in the Elf Chart?

It weird because her son's back in the drow chart I hear.

Sharess is briefly mentioned in the Erin M. Evans book.

Yeah, that is disappointing. I don't think that Zandilar will be included. About Selvetarm: yeah he's back, but the book probably doesn't even mention that Eilistraee&Vhaeraun are the children of Corellon and Lolth, or that Selvetarm is the son of Zandilar and Vhaeraun, so...

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:51:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know they wanted the gods to be more in the background for 5e, but...seriously. They're part of the setting, and a lot has happened with them.

But...I guess I should withhold further judgment until I actually have the book in my hands.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  03:57:04  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I know they wanted the gods to be more in the background for 5e, but...seriously. They're part of the setting, and a lot has happened with them.

But...I guess I should withhold further judgment until I actually have the book in my hands.

Yeah, and they seem to have quickly summarized what happened in the Sundering and said: these gods are back, that's it, everything exactly like 100 or so years ago.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Oct 2015 04:02:09
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  04:01:55  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To just say "they're back" doesn't really satisfy anything. I want the who/what/when/where/how, please. Tome, at least, you can't talk about the mortal followers without talking about the gods themselves, like they have in the past, but we'll have to see what those 20 pages are about.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  11:49:50  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest I'm wondering why I should get this book, this book seems like a half ass substitute for a proper FRCG and Forgotten Realms Players guide squished into one and mostly for only one region. And they let out Sharess.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  12:05:42  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question if anyones got the Book, Whats the back story of the Monk of the Long Death in the current era? Are they tied to the Chruch of Bhaal now? What have they been doing since the Spellplague?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  12:08:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are unsure then you probably shouldn't buy it (at least until you have tried it and like it).
The past practise of blanket support for realms products can no longer apply to the current product line because of its middling quality and total lack of information (all my opinion of course).

I won't be buying it, I seriously doubt there is anything of value in its pages that I could not have thought up in 5 minutes (and that's ignoring the fact it is in completely the wrong century).

I'm not sure who they are appealing to with this book, and I don't think WoTC are sure either.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  12:58:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To just say "they're back" doesn't really satisfy anything. I want the who/what/when/where/how, please. Tome, at least, you can't talk about the mortal followers without talking about the gods themselves, like they have in the past, but we'll have to see what those 20 pages are about.

I agree with you, totally. Up to now they seem to have only said who (those listed), but WotC will likely never talk about the rest. How= Ao and the Sundering did it. It's not satisfying, at all, but we're not likely to get further explanation, except in passages within novels, like Ed is known to do.

Also, the non human deities seem to get a small description, but only in the section regarding their race, not in the one about the gods (only human gods seem to get a desription there).

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Oct 2015 13:34:06
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  13:56:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

If you are unsure then you probably shouldn't buy it (at least until you have tried it and like it).
The past practise of blanket support for realms products can no longer apply to the current product line because of its middling quality and total lack of information (all my opinion of course).

I won't be buying it, I seriously doubt there is anything of value in its pages that I could not have thought up in 5 minutes (and that's ignoring the fact it is in completely the wrong century).

I'm not sure who they are appealing to with this book, and I don't think WoTC are sure either.

They are trying to appeal to new players, likely, with a nod to fans of the FR, by saying that their favourite gods/lands are restored. But it is just a nod.

I haven't bought anything WotC, save for Elminster's FR and Ed's novels, as they tend to include some nice bits of lore, but I could be getting this book, if just to get an overview. I'll wait to know what kind of details the book has on the various locations, and what kind of info are included in those ''small descriptions'' for the gods.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  16:14:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Holy crude, from anything I've heard this is aweful, they have a few cool things like the cantrips, subraces, tiefling and Half Elf variants, and some ofthe subclasses, but not enough to justifying buying this.

The fluff elements sound way too thin to saatisfy those looking for that, the crunch is too few to justify buying it as a splat book, they left out gods which will turn off thier fans, some classes get two subclasses, others get none, its too much of a mess from what I'm hearing for new fans and not enough stubstance for old fans, the sidebars with a few exceptions seem disappointing. The book tries to be too many things and is too small to pull it off.

5e had so much promise, I love the corebooks, Elemental Evil Guide was good except the Genasi should be redone they're horrible and unbalanced.

The only bright spot is we actual know for certain that Mulhorand and Unther are back and so are they're gods, as demigods ruling Mulhorand, with Gilgeam ruling Unther again (so I guess they're an exception to the distant Gods theme for the realms). No domain info, so you can't pick them as a cleric, but it appears you can make a Warlock Undying Pact with them, basically misunderstanding the Incarnation concept turning them into Mulhorand/Unther style Sorceror Kings of Athlas, but possible with Chosen.

The Dragonborn seem to be running around confused, WotC can't get rid of them now, they're spread across Faerun as refugees from Dragon Tyrants in Returned Abier and as Merchants and Adventurers from Tymanther, but now both are gone as WotC has no idea what to do with them.

This is weird and confusing and we need a proper FRCG?

Assimar has a side bar and from what I hear, it amounts to read the DMG, which is pathetic. Why bother having the side bar, the DMG is not a player resource.

AL has a bunch of restrictive rules that are just bad, from ruining the Acolyte Background, to story origins, ect...

From what I can scrap together the realms are mostly like they were, but scarred slightly by 4e and the now eneded spellplague, but with way more Chosen.

Its sounds interesting, too bad were not getting the proper book support to actually use it.

Does anyone else feel this way?
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  16:21:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel that they should have used the 50-60 pages that are currently taken by crunch and guidelines for adaptation to other settings, to expand on the bare bones lore currently included (some more info on regions outside the SC, on deities etc). Rules and adaptation guides could always be delivered through online documents...

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Oct 2015 16:23:27
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  16:32:17  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

From what I can scrap together the realms are mostly like they were, but scarred slightly by 4e and the now eneded spellplague, but with way more Chosen.

If we include the changes reported in the novels, it almost seems like FR has been rebooted to pre-return of Shade, with some small differences (like the dragonborns, or some particular character missing).

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  17:32:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the surface, most of the basic geography has been returned, the lost nation states have returned and the Abieran Nation States have been sent back. Some things may have been rebuilt.

But the echo of the past is still there. Tieflings, Genasi, Dragonborn are far more common then before, thier are far more Drow on the surface and people are more used to see Drow on the Surface.

The Goliaths have mad an appearance as have possibly other 4e races (at least I don't think Goliaths were added to the realms till 4e, late 3e).

The feywild and Shadowfell are to my knowledge still there, as if the elemental Choas abit comingled with the old elemental planes.

Chosen have sprouted like wildflowers.

Warlocks are now common and Paladin's are now far more a diverse group.

People know of Abier and might still be able to visit it.

People still remember the spellplague, the formerly spellscarred won't forget what they've lost and what they're regained. (I think having the spell scarred be in some cases turned into wild sorcerors in fitting).

There are all kinds of trade goods, special ore only the Genasi had access too, weapons made by the Dragonborn, all kinds of stuff from the Dusk Ports.

Then there stanger things, like the Faerun part of the Eminence of Aruant that portal using confederation of undead.

Many of the old rulers are dead, so politics has changed. Many new races have been introduced.

A few 4e based empires I think are staying.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2015 :  20:14:14  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book also further confirms that Halruaa is back (but it says that its mages shifted it to Abeir shortly before the Spellplague, and returned it to Toril after the Sundering). Luiren is no longer flooded, and is slowly being re-settled by halflings.

Edited by - Irennan on 23 Oct 2015 20:15:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000