Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  22:27:51  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... true enough. I suppose if they start coming up with more of those, I'll excuse them for not having Ed write "the one 5e Campaign Setting".

But yes, in any case, things don't always turn out how people would want, and I still think they can make a good job on this one, and will probably buy it.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 25 Jul 2015 22:28:06
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  00:10:29  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mapolq

To be fair, ever since the Realms were published by TSR, they don't have Ed write every damn product.

Brian plus the guys at Green Ronin seem to me like, at least, an uncontroversial choice for authors. If the book will be good, well, gotta wait until I read it to say that, of course.

I wasn't talking about just Ed. There are a few other authors who have way more knowledge of the Realms than anyone else.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2015 :  00:32:22  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure that Brian has worked with Green Ronin in the past. As I said before, it's great news that he's working on the project. Looking forward to see what it's like and what realmslore it contains. The FR specific crunch is welcome also as that represents opportunities to weave realmslore around it.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2015 :  14:12:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone know what the page count on this book will be?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2015 :  23:58:43  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
JeremybCrawford mentioned that Sword Coast Map would cover an area the equivlant to several north americas, so what cities/empires would that include.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  01:21:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Methinks someone is a bit confused (still) about the size of FR - The Sword Coast + The North is about the size of the United States (and thats not including the other two countries in N. America).

1e size Comparison from the FRCS

Unless - despite the title of the product - they are giving us a 'Heartlands' map. That would be pretty damn SWEET.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Aug 2015 01:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  01:30:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Methinks someone is a bit confused (still) about the size of FR - The Sword Coast + The North is about the size of the United States (and thats not including the other two countries in N. America).

1e size Comparison from the FRCS

Unless - despite the title of the product - they are giving us a 'Heartlands' map. That would be pretty damn SWEET.

The book should include some info on the whole Realms, so I think that they may map a larger region than just the Sword Coast.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2015 :  02:08:24  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

JeremybCrawford mentioned that Sword Coast Map would cover an area the equivlant to several north americas, so what cities/empires would that include.

An enormous map drawn by Schley would be reason enough for me to purchase this product. It's my hope they ditch the dark color palette and go with brighter colors like they used in Schley's Cormyr map.

"Several North Americas" to me suggests everything from the Spine of the World south to Calimshan plus Chult, and inland as far as Cormyr's western border.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  19:22:36  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Judging by the map comparison Markustay posted, the Spine of the World to the Great Sea is roughly three USA's tall. One USA wide only gets you from the Moonshae's to Cormyr; another USA wide would get you the Endless Wastes/Raurin. Faerun as a continent is easily 8 USA's big, and even the western heartlands are 2-3 USA's.

@Irennan, I doubt it'll cover the whole Realms - otherwise why call it the Sword Coast? I assume it'll cover exactly what it says, and further books will delve into other regions.

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  19:26:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the article on the WotC site says that it will have updates on the FR and its deities post-Sundering, and deeper, more detailed info on the Sword Coast.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag

It will probably just be a general overview on the other regions, though.

Edited by - Irennan on 12 Aug 2015 19:27:21
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2015 :  20:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Well, the article on the WotC site says that it will have updates on the FR and its deities post-Sundering, and deeper, more detailed info on the Sword Coast.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/news/scag

It will probably just be a general overview on the other regions, though.

Aye. I'm thinking the general overviews will take up a short chapter at the beginning, maybe a paragraph to the respective regions, and we'll be nudged to the DrivethruRPG website for old pdfs more details until something new is published. On the plus side, we might get a little more of an idea on how much actually changed geographically during the Sundering, and what cultures from Abeir remain, possibly even how they're integrating with the populations around them. I'm not envisioning anything too deep in that vein, just a blurb of "the government of xyz region is for/against the Dragonborn that remain from Abeir" kind of sentence.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2015 :  22:27:31  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the interview to Steve Kenson published on Dragon+, the book will contain info on all Toril post Sundering, with special attention to the Sword Coast and North Faerun. The maps included will be: an overwiew map of northern Faerun, a map of the Sword Coast and the North region, and maps of Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Baldur's Gate and Luskan.

The book will also contain info on a ''tremendous wealth'' of gods and cults post Sundering, info on how all the various races of the PHB fit in Faerun, and various game-specific material.

The page count isn't out yet, but looking at its weight (on Amazon) and comparing it to that of a 356 pg book, I assume that this book will be about 170 pages long.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Aug 2015 01:10:25
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  03:39:44  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Overview Map of Northern Faerun, which seems to encompass most of Faerun I think, is sparse on hard information, it doesn't label nations states, it labels regions like the Heartlands, The Old Empires, the Lands of Intrigue, Unapproachible East, Lake of Steam, Moonshaes, Inner Sea, ect...

The Map is beautiful and it does confirm the return of the old empires, in what form I don't know.

There new Tiefling and Half Elf Variants, I'm look forward to that.

New subclasses coming Purple Dragon Knight, Oath of the Crown, Undying Patron for Warlocks, Elven Blade Singer, (said not in Dragon+ but elsewhere is Swashbuckler), Uthgalt Barbarian (sorry misspelled it), other stuff.

From the way I read it, it sounds like it will be a complete list of Gods in the Forgotten Realms, including formerly dead Gods.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  03:47:27  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, he did say that the most exciting thing about the gods section is that ''they're back!!''. We don't know which gods will be listed, though, only that there will be a lot of them. Some will also get descriptions, according to the blurb on WotC site.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  05:06:39  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually kinda happy with the overview map. As the article points out, it's crafted from a more "in world" pov, meaning not every location is precisely known. Leaves room for a DM to move towns a bit, or erase them with ease.
The half elf, I'm not sure on, but I definitely am hoping for a more 3.5 type of Tiefling as opposed to the 4e flavor in the phb.
Overall, the article got me a lot more excited for the book.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  16:49:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What 'Overview Map' are you guys talking about?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  16:52:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you have Dragon+ for Android or iPad, it's a preview image in the article about the Sword Coast Adventurer's guide. I'll see if I can find a link later.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  17:47:25  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

I'm actually kinda happy with the overview map. As the article points out, it's crafted from a more "in world" pov, meaning not every location is precisely known. Leaves room for a DM to move towns a bit, or erase them with ease.
The half elf, I'm not sure on, but I definitely am hoping for a more 3.5 type of Tiefling as opposed to the 4e flavor in the phb.
Overall, the article got me a lot more excited for the book.

Thank you guys for posting this information. I'll go ahead and reinstall the app on my tablet and see what's mentioned.

I am rather excited to see this book come out.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  18:29:49  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First time after tue last 3.5 book that I am really interested in the new realms. I want to see the book as an alternate version, a reboot. I hope
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  20:24:06  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book will not be a reboot. WotC has been adamant about that since the advent of 5e. It is a return to the way things were. The Spellplague happened, but things are getting back to the way things were in the good old days, at least according to their sales pitch.
While they can't please everyone, I feel they're doing a good job of giving us the best of both worlds; the old school Realms and the new fans that enjoyed the 4e Realms.

Oh, and Markustay, I can't get the image to share directly, but I took a screenshot of the map in question. If you hit my name in my signature, it'll take you to my Google Plus profile, and the screenshot is in the most recent public post.

- Delwa Aunglor

Edited by - Delwa on 14 Aug 2015 20:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  01:19:48  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map can also be found here: http://community.wizards.com/sites/mtgcommunity/files/5E%20Map_1.pdf (courtesy of mykesfree, on the WotC forums).

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  01:21:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The map can also be found here: http://community.wizards.com/sites/mtgcommunity/files/5E%20Map_1.pdf (courtesy of mykesfree, on the WotC forums).

Thanks! I need to learn how to figure that out.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  01:23:07  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that it is rather weird that the map is completely blank. I mean, even adventurer-maps should have cities on them...

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  01:49:38  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think that it is rather weird that the map is completely blank. I mean, even adventurer-maps should have cities on them...

I can see that. I'm just seeing it as an opportunity to fill it in as I build my own Faerūn. I'm guessing the context of the map within the book might explain that more. I mean, a map of the whole continent isn't very useful to an adventurer, a map of a smaller area or region is. A map of all Faerūn is more useful to get an idea of where larger things are, like mtn ranges and lakes.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  02:06:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also countries and notorious cities and locations. But yes, the context will probably explain the lack of certain info.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  03:37:10  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The map is reminiscent of the 1e/2e Realms. I like it! You really get a sense of how far north The North is again; not to mention the length and breadth of the Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  05:13:41  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

The map is reminiscent of the 1e/2e Realms. I like it! You really get a sense of how far north The North is again; not to mention the length and breadth of the Faerun.

I was wondering about that. The Sword Coast didn't look tilted like it did in 3e. I wasn't sure if I was seeing things or not.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  07:08:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its definitely the 1e/2e layout.

Thanks for the link

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  13:12:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not what I would describe as a particularly exciting map.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  18:39:33  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Not what I would describe as a particularly exciting map.

-- George Krashos

Yea, it's pretty bare at this point. It's an overall map showing the regions. More detail will come later, and if it doesn't, those of us Realms veterans have two-to-three decades of material to fill out the map.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000