Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  00:20:20  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

If it helps anyone's opinion of the matter, I worked on a chunk of this book. What I wrote was setting material--both general Realms stuff and specific-to-locations stuff across the Sword Coast and the North.

More than that, I can't share for NDA reasons, but rest assured that this is not just a crunchy supplement.

I really can't wait to see how the book turned out.

Now THAT is fantastic news! Great stuff Brian.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 24 Jul 2015 00:22:07
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  00:27:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

If it helps anyone's opinion of the matter, I worked on a chunk of this book. What I wrote was setting material--both general Realms stuff and specific-to-locations stuff across the Sword Coast and the North.

More than that, I can't share for NDA reasons, but rest assured that this is not just a crunchy supplement.

I really can't wait to see how the book turned out.

Just 1 more thing, can you tell if Ed had a hand in the book?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  02:02:28  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, that is good news.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  03:22:28  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, Ed didn't directly have a hand in the making of the book, but he unofficially consulted on it. The fact that he is confident that it will be good is also really ancouraging.

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/624310520229707776

Edited by - Irennan on 24 Jul 2015 03:32:56
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  13:17:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody know anything about the other author(s) of this book? Is there work outside the Realms any good?

I though I saw at least one name in this scroll besides Brian's, but it's gone now.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 24 Jul 2015 13:18:02
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  13:26:50  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Anybody know anything about the other author(s) of this book? Is there work outside the Realms any good?

I though I saw at least one name in this scroll besides Brian's, but it's gone now.

Steve Kenson, from Green Ronin (he was mentioned in the ''Ask Ed'' scroll).

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  13:52:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you sir!

OK, has anyone bought something that Kenson worked on? If yes, was it any good?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  14:14:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am looking forward to this. At least its something, and for those of us who want a campaign guide, lets look at a few things...

Compare FR to nearly any other setting. The entirety of Ansalon (DL) could fit inside of Zakhara... and Zakhara is roughly the size of the Western Heartlands.

The main area of the Greyhawk setting is about the size of both the Eastern and Western heartlands. You may think thats about equal, but then consider how much lore is available outside the main campaign area, compared to FR and how much is available outside The Heartlands (which doesn't include The Shining South, The Lands of Intrigue, The Chultan peninsula, The Hordelands, etc, etc).

Mystara has similar stats to GH - one main campaign area that has a decent amount of lore, and then almost nothing outside of that (unless you count the Hollow World, but even then, just a few more nations added into the mix).

Eberron is about equal to FR in shear size, an perhaps even surpasses it on one point - it had regional splats for each continent. And yet, FR still has about 50 times the lore total. More lore for the ONE continent that is detailed (not including Maztica... which may or may not be gone for all we know).

If we go further afield and look at other large, non-TSR/WotC settings, like Paizo's Golarion and even Games Workshop's Fanatsy setting, we have cool, well-thought out worlds, with some detail going on here and there... but NOTHING on the scale FR has.

What The Forgotten Realms is/are is a HUMONGOUS SETTING that is detailed the way smaller, regional settings are detailed... and then some. Does anyone really play with the entirety of The Realms? And I am not just talking about the whole planet - I mean does your campaign take you outside the Heartlands? I am sure a few do, but most people find themselves a nice corner and hunker down for a campaign. You could spend years running a Campaign in The North and not go anywhere else. Same with the Eastern Heartlands, or the Moonsea region, or the Unapproachable East, or the Shining South, or the Lands of Intrigue, etc, etc, etc. Do you think an RPG campaign set inside medieval England would be fun? The High Forest alone is the same size as England. Think about that.

So we we have here is a new approach - one that some of us have been asking for for quite awhile - a regional approach to developing FR for 5e, giving us one large area at a time, with enough lore and crunch to run games there. Its pretty-much the same approach as Paizo's, but without the 'AP' monicker and string of books. Do we really think - with over a century of history and 5 editions under it's belt - that they could actually do justice to the Realms by having no focus?

So here you go - THAT is a campaign guide. Not THE campaign guide, but a perfectly usable one focused on just one area of The Realms. If it is successful, we WILL see more. I'm not 'in the know', I am not 'psychic', thats just business. Thats how it works. You want to see more Realms, BUY THE DAMN THING.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Jul 2015 14:15:31
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  14:18:22  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say I'm amazed by de optimistic commentaries in this generally grumpy forum :P

I like that even the crunchy parts are about the Realms, Purple Knights and stuff. Don't think it will be completely generic rules.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  14:23:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some were grumpy because WotC hyped the new era FR so much and then just made the point that they were not interested in a FRCS for the time being. Now we are getting what seems to be a small, general overview of the Sundering changes (hopefully complete), plus a regional CS. I'm just sad that Ed wasn't directly involved in this, but he seems confindent about the quality of this book, so that's a good thing.

In general people don't let their unsatisfaction be known out of the blue, there are reasons that lead them to do so.

Edited by - Irennan on 24 Jul 2015 14:25:09
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  14:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

I must say I'm amazed by de optimistic commentaries in this generally grumpy forum :P

I like that even the crunchy parts are about the Realms, Purple Knights and stuff. Don't think it will be completely generic rules.

Achievement Unlocked! Maybe we can get Wooly to do the hamster dance?

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 24 Jul 2015 14:39:45
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  15:00:39  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great points, Markustay.
I've been running a The Riddle of Steel-game for 11 years and almost all this time has been spent in one province (size of a small country), with only a few quick tours 'outside'.
Only problem is I've built up such a vast trove of lore for this small region whilr the rest of the world barely hangs together :)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  15:04:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'm grumpy for no particular reason than i just like being grumpy. WoTC has never done anything wrong that has irked me (apart from nuke the setting, twice, extend the timeline twice, kill off everything i ever knew about the setting then urged me to buy the old books because everything would be the same.

Hang on, maybe i'm not unnecessarily grumpy.

Then again, it all came good in the end. I no longer need WoTC, i can make my own stuff up.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  15:33:04  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still 'cautiously optimistic' over the future of the Realms. Markustay makes very good points and Garen Thal certainly makes me hopeful with his comments. But I'm also a 'fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me' sort of guy. I do like the 5e ruleset but that isn't the same thing as Realmslore. So far, however, what we've received leaves much to be desired.

I'm 100% on board with getting the setting detailed one book at a time though. It harkens back to the boxed set approach TSR took. I just want each region detailed (and I mean DETAILED) on the same level as a general campaign guide would be (similar page count with lots of info in them).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  16:35:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We have a Lore-lord of the Realms, known for his love of the setting and pretty much the go-to guy for one of its regions, as one of the authors. Ed Greenwood himself consulted on the book and says it's going to be good.

Given that, why are we still trotting out the mistakes of the past, and reiterating for the umpteenth time (squared!) that we have issues with what happened?

I was one of the most vocal opponents to the changes that happened to the setting in 4E -- something that got me a lot of direct and personal attacks from others. If I can refrain from harping on the past and be hopeful for the future, why can't others do the same? Even I'm sick of reading the complaints.

I'm looking forward to this book, and will lay hands on it as soon as possible. And my opinion of the book will be based on the book and its contents -- not the past actions of its publisher.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  16:45:49  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never complained (but then I was absent from the Realms between AD&D and 5th Edition) and only now have I begun to read about all that happened and didn't happen in 3rd, 3.5 and 4th.
I still enjoy the hell out of my AD&D Realms collection but I have, thanks to this board, come to the conclusion that there's a lot of good stuff in 3rd edition, though I have not decided whether to collect 3rd ed FR stuff.
Before I forget the point of this post, I wanted to say that there is SO much - overwhelmingly so - Realmslore that, from my vantage point at least, it sounds a little strange to be grumpy about the limited geography of this upcoming book. And much of it will probably be stuff already written elsewhere - I mean, it's not new that Baldur's Gate lies on the Chionthar, but that means be happy and cherish any actually new lore.
Still, I do miss the days when RPGs were KING.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  18:08:48  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Ok, Ed didn't directly have a hand in the making of the book, but he unofficially consulted on it. The fact that he is confident that it will be good is also really ancouraging.

https://twitter.com/TheEdVerse/status/624310520229707776

Have you ever known Ed to say anything negative publicly about any FR product?

I have a feeling that even if Ed didn't really approve of it he still wouldn't say anything negative.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  18:32:56  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

I have a feeling that even if Ed didn't really approve of it he still wouldn't say anything negative.

But that is because, in the words of a famous Archwizard (although not one of Ed's unfortunately), Ed is "Unfailingly kind, a trait that others never fail to undervalue."

Ed is far to nice to criticise the works of others because he knows just how difficult it is to create anything (and because he is a genuinely nice person). As a result everyone loves Ed and never has a bad word to say about him. The world would be a much nicer place if we could all be like Ed it would be much more creative as well. I include me in that statement (especially so depending upon how much you dislike bitterness). Alas that everyone is different.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  19:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh man we definitely need more Eds. I'd love to have one running a Realms campaign for me..
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  22:21:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Wooly, Jeremy, and I are all in agreement?

I think Hell just froze over.

What next? Grumpy Cat bakes us all cookies?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  22:40:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So Wooly, Jeremy, and I are all in agreement?

I think Hell just froze over.

What next? Grumpy Cat bakes us all cookies?

It's only the second sign of the Apocalypse. There's still time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2015 :  22:51:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well considering according to Dante, Hell is already frozen ...

Now if the Four Horsemen, then you might have something. *Shrugs*

All in all, any Lore will be welcome as much as finding an Oasis in the Desert.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  10:39:49  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, exciting News!

Stumbled upon advertise at wizards few moments ago, and am happy howsoever the content might be Well, at least for this specific one.

And don't get me wrong, I see at it as a Chance to revitalize a more or less steady stream of FR matierial with good content; hopefully like 2e era.

Was hoping that with 5e we would get new campaign guides, and to me sounds logic that The North get dealt first.

Now let's see how Wizards might satisfy the expectations of the fanbase. Am cautious optimistic that this might be the first of more regional guides, possibly like the FR ones in the late 80ies.

Fingers crossed and really looking Forward to it
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  13:08:47  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd still like to know something about Steve Kenson.

I have purchased Green Ronin products in the past, but nothing from him as far as I know.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  14:39:33  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm very cautiously optimistic about this book but at the same time I recognize that most of the optimism is due to the fact that we haven't really gotten much in the way content for this edition. It's like they've starved us to death and now we are excited about the scraps we are eventually getting.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  17:12:45  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

I'd still like to know something about Steve Kenson.

I have purchased Green Ronin products in the past, but nothing from him as far as I know.

According Wikipedia He's behind the Mutants and Masterminds game, which I've heard a lot of good about, but not played.
His credentials look impressive to me, but I don't have first hand experience with his products.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  19:01:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Green Ronin products I have are well written but could need a better editor. Indeed the first run of 'A Song of Ice and Fire' was later given a new edition to correct a lot of errors.
Still, doesn't really tell us anything about how 'Sword Coast' will turn out.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  21:12:02  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I don't understand is why wouldn't you hire the best of authors who have worked on the Realms and have them do the books?

#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  21:19:31  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, ever since the Realms were published by TSR, they don't have Ed write every damn product.

Brian plus the guys at Green Ronin seem to me like, at least, an uncontroversial choice for authors. If the book will be good, well, gotta wait until I read it to say that, of course.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447

Edited by - Mapolq on 25 Jul 2015 21:20:23
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2015 :  21:33:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the equivalent to a CS and update on the Realms, though. It basically is the inaugural 5th ed FR book, so it feels strange to not have Ed directly involved. But then, we don't know what happened. It could be that Ed didn't have the possibility to work on the project, due to having to take care of his wife's health.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000