Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2015 :  04:14:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Valkur thing, yeah, I was surprised by his writeup with the Northlanders. It made me look at him more like Thor, enough that I realized his symbology is a shield with a cloud with 3 thunderbolts coming from it. Not saying he IS Thor, just saying I can see where he's fulfilling that role.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2015 :  01:09:02  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
interesting, I didnt realize Realms common (and Im assuming Chondathan) uses the Thorass alphabet, things like Manshoon's stylized 'M' sigil led me to assume that they used something more similar to a Latin alphabet. Has Thorass always been the Common script and I just missed it?

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2015 :  01:12:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

interesting, I didnt realize Realms common (and Im assuming Chondathan) uses the Thorass alphabet, things like Manshoon's stylized 'M' sigil led me to assume that they used something more similar to a Latin alphabet. Has Thorass always been the Common script and I just missed it?

I've always assumed that to be the case, but I can't give you a source where I got that impression from. I believe I've read it in the 2e Campaign Setting Boxed Set. It might be in the 3e FRCS, but I don't have a page number.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

The_Silversword
Seeker

USA
58 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2015 :  01:24:31  Show Profile Send The_Silversword a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

quote:
Originally posted by The_Silversword

I've always assumed that to be the case, but I can't give you a source where I got that impression from. I believe I've read it in the 2e Campaign Setting Boxed Set. It might be in the 3e FRCS, but I don't have a page number.

It makes sense the Thorass script would still be used, Latin is pretty much a dead language but it's alphabet is still widely used by many languages, I just never noticed it as plainly presented in the Sword Coast Adventuer's Guide.

I survived the Spellplague and all I got was this stupid sig.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2015 :  16:43:59  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked it up about a week ago and I am liking what I am seeing and reading.

I am also thinking about how well 5th edition would work with The Old Grey Box.

The Realms is truly a great place to use as a campaign world.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2016 :  14:53:31  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Hopefully a full campaign guide will be released eventually detailing that kind of stuff, but this is much appreciated in the meantime!

I don't think it will happen. The stated goal from Wizards was to focus on playable material and they've made good on this - three major campaigns since the launch of 5th ed. is impressive. The S.C.A.G. fits this bill, a reference book marketed to players but finally containing enough lore to cater for DMs creating original adventures.

Any further background material on the realms will likely be released in the same form, e.g. the Heartlands Adventurer's Guide or the Empires of the Sands Adventurer's Guide (now that would be something!).
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  22:34:46  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Emerald Sage

quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Hopefully a full campaign guide will be released eventually detailing that kind of stuff, but this is much appreciated in the meantime!

I don't think it will happen. The stated goal from Wizards was to focus on playable material and they've made good on this - three major campaigns since the launch of 5th ed. is impressive. The S.C.A.G. fits this bill, a reference book marketed to players but finally containing enough lore to cater for DMs creating original adventures.

Any further background material on the realms will likely be released in the same form, e.g. the Heartlands Adventurer's Guide or the Empires of the Sands Adventurer's Guide (now that would be something!).

Whats S.C.A.G?

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  22:42:47  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Whats S.C.A.G?

S = Sword
C = Coast
A = Adventurer's
G = Guide

It's shorthand, just like OGB is for Old Grey Box, which itself was shorthand for the 1987 Forgotten Realms Campaign setting box.

- Ryan

Edited by - Rymac on 02 Jan 2016 22:46:40
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2016 :  23:23:20  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chult isn't the only african inspired region, Turmish, Samarach, and to a lesser extent Mulhorand (Egypt is in Africa).

And I think the tribes survive, its only the main city that is still Undead infested.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2016 :  21:46:10  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

Whats S.C.A.G?

S = Sword
C = Coast
A = Adventurer's
G = Guide

It's shorthand, just like OGB is for Old Grey Box, which itself was shorthand for the 1987 Forgotten Realms Campaign setting box.

Thank you sir.

John

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  17:50:31  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it immensely disappointing, to be honest. I regret buying it. It's just pathetic. This should have been a proper setting guide for the Realms (a la FRCS). Really, since much of this is just rehashed text from older, better products (though missing the parts that actually made those older products exciting), it should have been done setting wide.

Well if anything, it makes it damn easy not to spend any more money on 5e, so I guess I can thank them for that.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2016 :  00:07:13  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least they could have put one extra addition to each class but some classes don't even get anything mechanics wise new.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  08:55:47  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I bought the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (SCAG) recently, after much hemming and hawwing. I think, based on initial readings, I'll award 6.5/10. There are some things I like about it very much, the return of many deities is welcome, just seeing Kiaransalee listed as a drow goddess once again was delightful.

I liked the expanded options for classes, and the details on the races. I feel the domain choices for clerics is small, so it's nice to see the SCAG addressing that. A limited range of domains means deities can feel limited too, so it seems clear to me that more domains will come along (or we invent them).

Downsides to the SCAG (so far) are the detail on the Realms themselves. I just haven't been gripped enough to read the relevant sections. I wonder if this is because so much of it feels familiar. Perhaps that's a failing of the book, much of what is here works well for a newcomer to the Realms but isn't giving much that is new to those of us with longer acquaintance.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2016 :  17:39:14  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

I bought the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide (SCAG) recently, after much hemming and hawwing. I think, based on initial readings, I'll award 6.5/10. There are some things I like about it very much, the return of many deities is welcome, just seeing Kiaransalee listed as a drow goddess once again was delightful.

I liked the expanded options for classes, and the details on the races. I feel the domain choices for clerics is small, so it's nice to see the SCAG addressing that. A limited range of domains means deities can feel limited too, so it seems clear to me that more domains will come along (or we invent them).

Downsides to the SCAG (so far) are the detail on the Realms themselves. I just haven't been gripped enough to read the relevant sections. I wonder if this is because so much of it feels familiar. Perhaps that's a failing of the book, much of what is here works well for a newcomer to the Realms but isn't giving much that is new to those of us with longer acquaintance.

I hear you on that. I think a lot of the dearth of new info is related to the fact that 5e is an almost-reset. Everything is familiar because it went back to familiar settings, just with a few name changes as far as who's in power. From my wallet's perspective, that's great because I can plug in all my old material and tweak a few things. From a perspective of wanting new, cool lore, it's not that exciting. There were some tidbits I hadn't read or know before, but that's mostly because I haven't read every old sourcebook cover to cover.
Like you said, for a newcomer, or someone who has only ever read the novels, the book would be a great resource for lore. But for people who've been consuming lore since the old grey box, it's all familiar. Kind of like going back to your home town. A few faces have changed. The old man that lived across the street when you were a kid is dead, but mostly the same all around. It's nice to visit, but you're still not sure if you want to move back and settle down.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000