Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:40:36  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Myth Drannor, not that I could see. I haven't read it cover to cover, but I went to the index ans looked at all the pages it says Myth Drannor was mentioned. There isn't even a section devoted to it, it is just mentioned during the description of other things, and it says it was destroyed when Shade (or Nethril as thetext calls it) fell on it.

There is just a short paragraph on Lolth, in which it says she reigns supreme as the goddess of drow, and ruthlessly eliminates all who threaten her. In the deity list it says she is the goddess of spiders. Myrkul is a god of decay, but it doesn't say anything about necromancy that I could see.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2572 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:50:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

As for Myth Drannor, not that I could see. I haven't read it cover to cover, but I went to the index ans looked at all the pages it says Myth Drannor was mentioned. There isn't even a section devoted to it, it is just mentioned during the description of other things, and it says it was destroyed when Shade (or Nethril as thetext calls it) fell on it.

There is just a short paragraph on Lolth, in which it says she reigns supreme as the goddess of drow, and ruthlessly eliminates all who threaten her. In the deity list it says she is the goddess of spiders. Myrkul is a god of decay, but it doesn't say anything about necromancy that I could see.

Thanks. Well, things are looking really close to what they were before the various cataclysms, then.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:57:31  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome. Seems that way. There is a brief history at the beginning (it mentions the great empires, the fiest Sundering, Crown Wars, ToT, Spellplague, second Sundering, etc), and it actually goes up to 1489. The gods are described as being "quiet, but not silent", and priests interpret their signs, which I seem to remember Ed saying in a panel is what he wanted. So the gods interact with mortals in more subtle ways.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:06:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope to have a copy of this book in my hands by Christmas at the latest.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Senior Scribe

999 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:38:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

The Dragonborn seem to be running around confused, WotC can't get rid of them now, they're spread across Faerun as refugees from Dragon Tyrants in Returned Abier and as Merchants and Adventurers from Tymanther, but now both are gone as WotC has no idea what to do with them.

Its sounds interesting, too bad were not getting the proper book support to actually use it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Nope. That is, I have not yet seen this book, but I believe I will disagree.

Life and history is random and not designed. Many things happen "just because", and folks have to deal with that. Part of the OGB's appeal IMO is a "lived-in-feel" of an actual campaign, and not the "top-down" approach of worlds with a clearer theme (Dragonlance, Eberron and others).

So in my opinon, WotC does not have to "do" anything with for instance the Dragonborn. It is fine to just let them carry on with whatever the realms throws at them.
I understand the urge to get an explanation or some kind of resolution, but that is not what the realms is about. In my opinion.

Heck, give me 10 more years, and I'll even accept the Spellplague.

On the other hand, if you by "proper" mean "bigger", then I certainly agree.

(wow, first post in ages)

I find it funny you qouted and responded to that, because my comment was premature, Tymanther survived, a bit reduced, so the Dragonborn still have a homeland.

I still stand by what I said about SCAG being a poor substitute for a proper FRCG and FRPG, its an over priced horderve, when what is needed is a full meal.

And an end story origins in the AL.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Senior Scribe

999 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:39:53  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Knights of Myth Drannor are back.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Master of Realmslore

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:40:46  Show Profile  Send CorellonsDevout an AOL message Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw that too in one of the side panels

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
781 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  19:04:40  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It says that Dove has revived the group and hand selects the members. I thought Dove passed in the Herald but I didn't read it so I am wrong there I guess? I am still waiting for the Simbul to come back and rule Aglarond again. May as well get rid of all the stupid decisions the previous edition brought about (disclaimer, only my opinion on what stupid is :) )
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1100 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  19:29:15  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage  Click to see hashimashadoo's MSN Messenger address Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor's references in the book are all in the past tense save for one that mentions that members of the Moonstars are active there. Most are reiterating that the city was recently ruined, was destroyed, was the source of Evereska's population explosion, etc.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Learned Scribe

Japan
333 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  21:53:34  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

It says that Dove has revived the group and hand selects the members. I thought Dove passed in the Herald

She did. I guess she got resurrected.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2572 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  22:16:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

quote:

It says that Dove has revived the group and hand selects the members. I thought Dove passed in the Herald

I get that the book aims to just give a ''status quo'' of the Realms, but seriously, certain thing ought to be explained. They went with ''the Sundering brought them back'' for the gods and all the lands that had disappeared, but undoing something that has *just* happened should require at least a little bit of clarification (even if it's just ''Mystra resurrected Dove''). Otherwise it almost seems like novels aren't canon anymore.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Nov 2015 22:20:30
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I find it funny you qouted and responded to that, because my comment was premature, Tymanther survived, a bit reduced, so the Dragonborn still have a homeland.

I still stand by what I said about SCAG being a poor substitute for a proper FRCG and FRPG, its an over priced horderve, when what is needed is a full meal.

And an end story origins in the AL.

Well, I too was premature as I responded to your post, not the book itself. I'm still waiting for mine.

My point was simply this: we should not ask for explanations for all loose ends or a greater purpose.
The realms is a setting for thousands of stories, while for instance Middle-Earth and Dragonlance is settings for just one great story. I think we would loose something with a tighter focus.
Eberron is another example - its a great setting, but somehow it feels like the first draft was done on whiteboards and excel sheets. The realms is IMO not that at all.
So I do not mind lost Dragonborn running about, or what have you.

But perhaps I got it wrong, no worries mate. Sorry for derailing the thread.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
781 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:35:23  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh. Well then. Sucks to be Sylune, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2572 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:40:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh. Well then. Sucks to be Sylune, I guess.

Or Qilué...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Great Reader

USA
5117 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:42:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Glad to see that Ao's decree about portfolios has been lifted, or weakened at least. Does it say Myrkul still associated with decay/corruption, or if he is related with necromancy in any way, given that Velsharoon seems to be nowhere to be found.

Also, what does it say on Lolth, has she changed in any way?

EDIT: Not even a little reference to what Ed said about Myth Drannor not being completely wiped, and in the process of being possibly rebuilt?

There's a temple to Velsharoon in Mulmaster.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2572 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  02:31:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

There's a temple to Velsharoon in Mulmaster.

Thanks, nice to know that he hasn't been forgotten.

Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
96 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  13:04:53  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's cool that both Unther and a little bit of Tymanther still survive. Why not have both? And in they way WotC has done it, you have two rival countries, and can play around with political tensions with a campaign there.

I wonder what's going on with Chessenta, Akanul and presumably reborn Chondath and Ssepech (places I liked a lot), and also with Mulhorand/High Imaskar.

Also any chance whether that book mentions if Calimshan is still ruled by genasi (after according to 4E FRCS, most people in Calimshan -suddenly- revealed themselves to be genasi and enslaved the rest of the population)
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
781 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  13:48:50  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

It's cool that both Unther and a little bit of Tymanther still survive. Why not have both? And in they way WotC has done it, you have two rival countries, and can play around with political tensions with a campaign there.

I wonder what's going on with Chessenta, Akanul and presumably reborn Chondath and Ssepech (places I liked a lot), and also with Mulhorand/High Imaskar.

Also any chance whether that book mentions if Calimshan is still ruled by genasi (after according to 4E FRCS, most people in Calimshan -suddenly- revealed themselves to be genasi and enslaved the rest of the population)

The people overthrew the genasi overlords, and now rule themselves again. It's another area that's gone back to how it was.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Senior Scribe

999 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  20:04:24  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Genasi and human live in a weary kind of peace now that the djinn have been exiled to the desert.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
536 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2015 :  05:57:25  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random query regarding the human paladin on the front cover, called "Nayeli Goldflower" in the inside blurb:
She has really red skin, and I was wondering where y'all might postulate that she's from? Obvious answer is the Sword Coast of course, but I've scanned the racial groups both in the SCAG and Races of Faerun, and can't find anything about a red-skinned human race.
I thought she might be half-fire genasi or something, but they're supposed to be true breeding.
The entire front cover has a reddish hue to it, so it's possible she's just got dark skin and the fire is lighting it up weirdly - but the art quality is good enough that I doubt this is the case.
Could be some kind of warpaint? Though I'm not familiar with it's use in the Realms.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Learned Scribe

USA
263 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  09:39:54  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Random query regarding the human paladin on the front cover, called "Nayeli Goldflower" in the inside blurb:
She has really red skin, and I was wondering where y'all might postulate that she's from? Obvious answer is the Sword Coast of course, but I've scanned the racial groups both in the SCAG and Races of Faerun, and can't find anything about a red-skinned human race.
I thought she might be half-fire genasi or something, but they're supposed to be true breeding.
The entire front cover has a reddish hue to it, so it's possible she's just got dark skin and the fire is lighting it up weirdly - but the art quality is good enough that I doubt this is the case.
Could be some kind of warpaint? Though I'm not familiar with it's use in the Realms.

It could just be artistic license and not to imply that there are "red-skinned" alien looking humans in the Sword Coast. Let's remember that the Native Americans were once referred to as "red-skins", natives that had a slight tinge of red-hued complexion…. at least from the visual perspective of the original European settlers/colonists. Same thing when Europeans first had contact with Asians, the Asians were depicted as "yellow" people. Do some Asians have a yellowish/sallow complexion? I suppose so. And maybe that's the original first impression that the Europeans fixated on, how the skin coloration of those Easterners were different from the European look.

Just my 2 cents. Might even be worth less than a penny. :)
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
220 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  10:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received my copy today. The product is nice! BUT a couple of things left me *very* surprised:

- Elturgard never falls (as per LFR adventures cicle), and the Companion is still there, shining.

- NO history at all about gods (not to mention the rewriting of Fate Tablets by AO):
.Amanautor (LN) AND Lathander (NG) both exists! Just an adjective on the second as being "restored".
.Cyric is free (no mentions to his captivity), Tyr is back (as expected).
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
182 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  11:04:01  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

I just received my copy today. The product is nice! BUT a couple of things left me *very* surprised:

- Elturgard never falls (as per LFR adventures cicle), and the Companion is still there, shining.
LFR was deemed non-canon (ahead of time) at a certain season. I believe it was season 3, but regardless I'm pretty sure it was when WotC stopped paying for the mods (and possibly stopped distributing them as well?).

quote:

- NO history at all about gods (not to mention the rewriting of Fate Tablets by AO):
.Amanautor (LN) AND Lathander (NG) both exists! Just an adjective on the second as being "restored".
I liked that part a lot. It was very much a "here's what the worshippers know" rather than "here's what's happening with the gods." For me the former is much more usable in game than the latter.
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
220 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  11:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

quote:

LFR was deemed non-canon (ahead of time) at a certain season. I believe it was season 3, but regardless I'm pretty sure it was when WotC stopped paying for the mods (and possibly stopped distributing them as well?).

Yes, I knew that. I never liked too much anything related to Elturgard. That said: it was a sort of story-line that may have fit well within the Spellplague century but with the end of it probably could have ended as well.
And with the involvement of the Companion that was the engine of Amanautor's resurrection... If I want to keep Amanautor, I had to keep the Companion, thus Elturgard (whose reason for existence is tied to it) have to remain to its place...

quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch
quote:

I liked that part a lot. It was very much a "here's what the worshippers know" rather than "here's what's happening with the gods." For me the former is much more usable in game than the latter.

Yes. But what worshippers know is strongly or loosely tied to what happened. It seems more an operation like "let's delete every tie to events occurred during the Spellplague" to me. That said: I believe that history is important. I personally like it and it helps me a lot in my tasks as DM.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2572 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  12:36:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes. But what worshippers know is strongly or loosely tied to what happened. It seems more an operation like "let's delete every tie to events occurred during the Spellplague" to me. That said: I believe that history is important. I personally like it and it helps me a lot in my tasks as DM.

I have to agree with you here, but I wouldn't count on get any substantial history about gods. We just have ''the Sundering happened, and now this is the current pantheon: a list of gods follows''. The purpose of the Sundering was indeed to undo (or ''soften'') a lot of the stuff that happened during the Spellplague, and --as fas as I can see-- basically any ''deicide'' that WotC/TSR decided to force on the setting.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000