Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  02:31:00  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

There's a temple to Velsharoon in Mulmaster.

Thanks, nice to know that he hasn't been forgotten.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

deserk
Learned Scribe

Norway
237 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  13:04:53  Show Profile Send deserk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's cool that both Unther and a little bit of Tymanther still survive. Why not have both? And in they way WotC has done it, you have two rival countries, and can play around with political tensions with a campaign there.

I wonder what's going on with Chessenta, Akanul and presumably reborn Chondath and Ssepech (places I liked a lot), and also with Mulhorand/High Imaskar.

Also any chance whether that book mentions if Calimshan is still ruled by genasi (after according to 4E FRCS, most people in Calimshan -suddenly- revealed themselves to be genasi and enslaved the rest of the population)
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  13:48:50  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deserk

It's cool that both Unther and a little bit of Tymanther still survive. Why not have both? And in they way WotC has done it, you have two rival countries, and can play around with political tensions with a campaign there.

I wonder what's going on with Chessenta, Akanul and presumably reborn Chondath and Ssepech (places I liked a lot), and also with Mulhorand/High Imaskar.

Also any chance whether that book mentions if Calimshan is still ruled by genasi (after according to 4E FRCS, most people in Calimshan -suddenly- revealed themselves to be genasi and enslaved the rest of the population)

The people overthrew the genasi overlords, and now rule themselves again. It's another area that's gone back to how it was.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  20:04:24  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Genasi and human live in a weary kind of peace now that the djinn have been exiled to the desert.
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2015 :  05:57:25  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random query regarding the human paladin on the front cover, called "Nayeli Goldflower" in the inside blurb:
She has really red skin, and I was wondering where y'all might postulate that she's from? Obvious answer is the Sword Coast of course, but I've scanned the racial groups both in the SCAG and Races of Faerun, and can't find anything about a red-skinned human race.
I thought she might be half-fire genasi or something, but they're supposed to be true breeding.
The entire front cover has a reddish hue to it, so it's possible she's just got dark skin and the fire is lighting it up weirdly - but the art quality is good enough that I doubt this is the case.
Could be some kind of warpaint? Though I'm not familiar with it's use in the Realms.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  09:39:54  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KanzenAU

Random query regarding the human paladin on the front cover, called "Nayeli Goldflower" in the inside blurb:
She has really red skin, and I was wondering where y'all might postulate that she's from? Obvious answer is the Sword Coast of course, but I've scanned the racial groups both in the SCAG and Races of Faerun, and can't find anything about a red-skinned human race.
I thought she might be half-fire genasi or something, but they're supposed to be true breeding.
The entire front cover has a reddish hue to it, so it's possible she's just got dark skin and the fire is lighting it up weirdly - but the art quality is good enough that I doubt this is the case.
Could be some kind of warpaint? Though I'm not familiar with it's use in the Realms.

It could just be artistic license and not to imply that there are "red-skinned" alien looking humans in the Sword Coast. Let's remember that the Native Americans were once referred to as "red-skins", natives that had a slight tinge of red-hued complexion…. at least from the visual perspective of the original European settlers/colonists. Same thing when Europeans first had contact with Asians, the Asians were depicted as "yellow" people. Do some Asians have a yellowish/sallow complexion? I suppose so. And maybe that's the original first impression that the Europeans fixated on, how the skin coloration of those Easterners were different from the European look.

Just my 2 cents. Might even be worth less than a penny. :)
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  10:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just received my copy today. The product is nice! BUT a couple of things left me *very* surprised:

- Elturgard never falls (as per LFR adventures cicle), and the Companion is still there, shining.

- NO history at all about gods (not to mention the rewriting of Fate Tablets by AO):
.Amanautor (LN) AND Lathander (NG) both exists! Just an adjective on the second as being "restored".
.Cyric is free (no mentions to his captivity), Tyr is back (as expected).
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  11:04:01  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arioch

I just received my copy today. The product is nice! BUT a couple of things left me *very* surprised:

- Elturgard never falls (as per LFR adventures cicle), and the Companion is still there, shining.
LFR was deemed non-canon (ahead of time) at a certain season. I believe it was season 3, but regardless I'm pretty sure it was when WotC stopped paying for the mods (and possibly stopped distributing them as well?).

quote:

- NO history at all about gods (not to mention the rewriting of Fate Tablets by AO):
.Amanautor (LN) AND Lathander (NG) both exists! Just an adjective on the second as being "restored".
I liked that part a lot. It was very much a "here's what the worshippers know" rather than "here's what's happening with the gods." For me the former is much more usable in game than the latter.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Arioch
Learned Scribe

Italy
222 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  11:33:25  Show Profile  Visit Arioch's Homepage Send Arioch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JohnLynch

quote:

LFR was deemed non-canon (ahead of time) at a certain season. I believe it was season 3, but regardless I'm pretty sure it was when WotC stopped paying for the mods (and possibly stopped distributing them as well?).

Yes, I knew that. I never liked too much anything related to Elturgard. That said: it was a sort of story-line that may have fit well within the Spellplague century but with the end of it probably could have ended as well.
And with the involvement of the Companion that was the engine of Amanautor's resurrection... If I want to keep Amanautor, I had to keep the Companion, thus Elturgard (whose reason for existence is tied to it) have to remain to its place...

quote:
quote:

I liked that part a lot. It was very much a "here's what the worshippers know" rather than "here's what's happening with the gods." For me the former is much more usable in game than the latter.

Yes. But what worshippers know is strongly or loosely tied to what happened. It seems more an operation like "let's delete every tie to events occurred during the Spellplague" to me. That said: I believe that history is important. I personally like it and it helps me a lot in my tasks as DM.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  12:36:49  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yes. But what worshippers know is strongly or loosely tied to what happened. It seems more an operation like "let's delete every tie to events occurred during the Spellplague" to me. That said: I believe that history is important. I personally like it and it helps me a lot in my tasks as DM.

I have to agree with you here, but I wouldn't count on get any substantial history about gods. We just have ''the Sundering happened, and now this is the current pantheon: a list of gods follows''. The purpose of the Sundering was indeed to undo (or ''soften'') a lot of the stuff that happened during the Spellplague, and --as fas as I can see-- basically any ''deicide'' that WotC/TSR decided to force on the setting.

Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  13:59:29  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Frankly, I find the SCAG to be a complete disappointment for me. What is presented is quality stuff (for the most part), but it's far too minimal. It tries to be too many things and ends up being nothing of consequence. At it's price point, I expect something far more focused and detailed. This minimalism isn't going to cut it for my money.

SCAG is more a codex than a guide. It's pieces are quality, but its whole is just not good enough (for me). Last 5e product I buy until WotC can learn how to focus again.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage

Edited by - ZeshinX on 10 Nov 2015 13:59:53
Go to Top of Page

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  15:28:14  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't read it yet, but I maintain that it's not a question of knowing how to focus, it's a matter of money, pure and simple, and how there isn't much anymore. Not for doing what many of us would like.

1e and 2e had lots of books because the industry was younger (and probably cheaper), and the books' (physical) quality was crap but no one cared much.

3e has plenty of books because they tried to take that model ahead to the 21st century. Many people liked it, but at the end it was already said they weren't selling anywhere near what they expected.

From 4e onwards, there can't be a lot of books anymore. Right now, they could do an exclusively regional Sword Coast book, but then we wouldn't have got anything on the results of the Sundering, the gods, the status of some other regions, etc. They could have launched a 5e FRCS like the 3e one, but at this point I believe that they are pretty sure it'd lose them money, even if the people who want such books loved it.

I'd say the only reason why they *didn't* do an exclusively Sword Coast book is how they managed to screw up the rest of the world in 4e, so they said they would fix it, and obviously we are waiting for them to fix it.

So we're stuck in the industry limbo, at least for a while.

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  17:47:58  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

What is presented is quality stuff (for the most part), but it's far too minimal.

Speaking of "quality", is anyone else who bought SCAG having problems with the ink smudging?

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  18:19:48  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mapolq

Haven't read it yet, but I maintain that it's not a question of knowing how to focus, it's a matter of money, pure and simple, and how there isn't much anymore. Not for doing what many of us would like.

1e and 2e had lots of books because the industry was younger (and probably cheaper), and the books' (physical) quality was crap but no one cared much.

3e has plenty of books because they tried to take that model ahead to the 21st century. Many people liked it, but at the end it was already said they weren't selling anywhere near what they expected.

From 4e onwards, there can't be a lot of books anymore. Right now, they could do an exclusively regional Sword Coast book, but then we wouldn't have got anything on the results of the Sundering, the gods, the status of some other regions, etc. They could have launched a 5e FRCS like the 3e one, but at this point I believe that they are pretty sure it'd lose them money, even if the people who want such books loved it.

I'd say the only reason why they *didn't* do an exclusively Sword Coast book is how they managed to screw up the rest of the world in 4e, so they said they would fix it, and obviously we are waiting for them to fix it.

So we're stuck in the industry limbo, at least for a while.

I knew even writing it that "focus" was not the right word. I just couldn't quite find one that really fit, focus just seemed the closest.

It's a "let's make D&D appeal to everyone to maximize profits" approach. D&D is a niche product in a niche market, always has been, always will be. If it can sojourn briefly into other markets and pull in a little profit from them, great...but making that a focus or heavy investment direction is laughable. Profitable short term, brand-destroying long term. Hasbro's toy lines exemplify this with their diminishing returns brand re-launches every decade or so.

Now I'm not criticizing WotC wanting to take things slow and keep their product releases light. That seems wise. It's the lackluster offerings of what is being released. The pieces are good...but the whole of the products are severely lacking. They're just too discordant and scattershot. They're all over the place with no internal (to the product) focus. They don't offer enough of any one thing within themselves to be worth the cover price.

Aside from the Core Rulebooks, every product thus far has been little more than a Gazeteer. It's like being invited to dinner, being served a delicious appetizer, then being politely asked to leave and to expect another dinner invitation soon.

I love the core game but it is massively lacking in every other area.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  20:24:36  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Glad to see that Ao's decree about portfolios has been lifted, or weakened at least. Does it say Myrkul still associated with decay/corruption, or if he is related with necromancy in any way, given that Velsharoon seems to be nowhere to be found.

Also, what does it say on Lolth, has she changed in any way?

EDIT: Not even a little reference to what Ed said about Myth Drannor not being completely wiped, and in the process of being possibly rebuilt?

Velsharoon isn't listed in the deity line up.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2015 :  21:51:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ZeshinX

Frankly, I find the SCAG to be a complete disappointment for me. What is presented is quality stuff (for the most part), but it's far too minimal. It tries to be too many things and ends up being nothing of consequence. At it's price point, I expect something far more focused and detailed. This minimalism isn't going to cut it for my money.

SCAG is more a codex than a guide. It's pieces are quality, but its whole is just not good enough (for me). Last 5e product I buy until WotC can learn how to focus again.

I think the book looks good, but I've been burned too much by WotC to pay full price, at this time. Between the discount Barnes & Noble already had on the book, the membership discount, and the coupon I had, I had it shipped to my door for like $23.

I like what I've read thus far, but I've not had time to really get into it.

It is awfully thin, but given the amount I paid, I'm not going to complain about the price.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  05:33:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we're only talking about a few years in the future from 4e's 1469 DR starting point, I think its fare to say the SCAG probably didn't need to re-cover areas that were just previously covered like Neverwinter and Waterdeep. I haven't read through the book yet but I heard that it has a lot of good role-playing tips.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  06:08:56  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think the book looks good, but I've been burned too much by WotC to pay full price, at this time. Between the discount Barnes & Noble already had on the book, the membership discount, and the coupon I had, I had it shipped to my door for like $23.

It is awfully thin, but given the amount I paid, I'm not going to complain about the price.

Just got my copy this week, had just a cursory glance. Like you, I paid at "sale" price at around ~$23 via Amazon (with free shipping).

For me, the book is well worth it. Yes, it's not a very thick book, nor is anything in extensive detail. But I will remind you all that I'm an FR Outsider. Before 5E I was never a Realms fan, nor played in the FR setting. Sure I played D&D since back in my boyhood years in the 1980s-1990, but the Realms was not even an established standard setting in those days. In fact, many of the classic adventures in that era came from Greyhawk (e.g. Temple of Elemental Evil) or were simply "setting neutral".

So I guess I like this book because… I seem to be WOTC's perfect "target market". What target market? The 5th Edition gamers and DMs who are either 1) totally brand new to the D&D game, or 2) totally new converts to the Forgotten Realms setting. We don't have extensive knowledge of Faerun like you old grognards. We do not have expert lore knowledge to nitpick this or nitpick that, or to criticize WotC for getting this factoid wrong or that bit of lore wrong. Hence, this SCAG book is like our grand introduction to the Realms. And for that reason alone, this book is a gem.

I do understand, however, that for you old FR grognards, this book is a disappointment because it does not come close to duplicating the level of detail and attention to detail that you all knew in the dozens of FR-specific tomes (many of them written by Greenwood himself I'm guessing) through the past 3 decades.

Well anyways, that's my outsider's point of view, as a relative newcomer to the Realms setting.

Edited by - moonbeast on 11 Nov 2015 06:42:57
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  08:15:39  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by moonbeast

quote:

Just got my copy this week, had just a cursory glance. Like you, I paid at "sale" price at around ~$23 via Amazon (with free shipping).

For me, the book is well worth it. Yes, it's not a very thick book, nor is anything in extensive detail. But I will remind you all that I'm an FR Outsider. Before 5E I was never a Realms fan, nor played in the FR setting. Sure I played D&D since back in my boyhood years in the 1980s-1990, but the Realms was not even an established standard setting in those days. In fact, many of the classic adventures in that era came from Greyhawk (e.g. Temple of Elemental Evil) or were simply "setting neutral".

So I guess I like this book because… I seem to be WOTC's perfect "target market". What target market? The 5th Edition gamers and DMs who are either 1) totally brand new to the D&D game, or 2) totally new converts to the Forgotten Realms setting. We don't have extensive knowledge of Faerun like you old grognards. We do not have expert lore knowledge to nitpick this or nitpick that, or to criticize WotC for getting this factoid wrong or that bit of lore wrong. Hence, this SCAG book is like our grand introduction to the Realms. And for that reason alone, this book is a gem.

I do understand, however, that for you old FR grognards, this book is a disappointment because it does not come close to duplicating the level of detail and attention to detail that you all knew in the dozens of FR-specific tomes (many of them written by Greenwood himself I'm guessing) through the past 3 decades.

Well anyways, that's my outsider's point of view, as a relative newcomer to the Realms setting.

I hear ya, though I've been invested with setting in the mid-90's with games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. You can also purchase previous setting books to focus more on areas you want to explore better or flash out. Books like the Neverwinter Campaign Guide, while using 4e rules, still do a great job of detailing the city and surrounding environs that help in crafting a campaign regardless of edition.
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  08:42:19  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Diffan

I hear ya, though I've been invested with setting in the mid-90's with games like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. You can also purchase previous setting books to focus more on areas you want to explore better or flash out. Books like the Neverwinter Campaign Guide, while using 4e rules, still do a great job of detailing the city and surrounding environs that help in crafting a campaign regardless of edition.

Yes, good advice Diffan, and I've already begun to do that! Earlier this year I picked up a copy of the book Ed Greenwood Present's Elminster's The Forgotten Realms. As a newcomer to the Realms, that book gives me a lot of insight. And best of all, the book was written as edition-neutral, even though it seems to have been released during the end of the 4E era.

Are there any other such books from the 3rd and 4th editions that are Realms-specific, that has content that I could easily borrow and incorporate into a 5th Edition campaign?
Go to Top of Page

JohnLynch
Learned Scribe

Australia
243 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  10:21:58  Show Profile Send JohnLynch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Welcome moonbeast. I was originally planning on running my next campaign in 1357 DR (AD&D 1e era) and due to what I'd heard about Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide decided to update it to 1489 DR (implied 5e era) as a result. I'm glad to hear you liked it as you're pretty much the target audience (IMO).

You're also off to a good start if you've read Elminster's Guide and enjoyed it (it's my bible for my upcoming campaign). The thing to keep in mind is that the premise of Elminster's Guide was going to be that it had a collection of notes from Ed Greenwood's personal home campaign for FR (which AFAIK is still in the 2e era, possibly up to the 3e era by now). Now given it did have some 4e material it looks like Ed (or WotC) slipped in some info for the updated canon Realms. But some of the material in Elminster's Guide could contradict other sourcebooks because it was always intended to be Ed Greenwood's own personal notes.

Where are you planning on setting your campaign? If it's Waterdeep, then I hear Waterdeep is a good book. If you're looking to incorporate political intrigue and/or taming the frontier wilderness and building strongholds, Powers of Faerun would be a good book. Faiths and Avatars covers the human pantheon and the churches (along with associated organisations) for each god. If you want to change anything, feel free to. Worship of a lot of gods ended during the Spellplague era because many people believed the gods had died. It is now believed by common people that many of those gods are alive now, it's up to you whether or not those gods actually did die or if it was simply believed they died.

Menzoberranzan is located beneath the Sword Coast and was a good sourcebook. Although my favourite (aside from Elminster's Guide) is Grand History of the Realms.

You of course don't need to read any of these books. However I've always thought of more ideas for adventures after reading an FR sourcebook than I had before reading those sourcebooks. So I think there's a lot of value in reading them.

DM of the Realms: A blog for my Forgotten Realms adventures.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  11:47:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have my first complaint about the book... I found where the word "aren't" had been hyphenated and split across two pages.

I'm not a grammar Nazi, obviously, but that bugged the crap out of me -- that's just poor editing, there.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  13:41:13  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like books such as: Faiths and Pantheons (3e), Champions of Valor/Ruin (3e), Waterdeep: City of Splendors (3e), Neverwinter Campaign Guide (4e), and Gloomwrought (4e)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  15:10:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowsoul

quote:

quote:

Glad to see that Ao's decree about portfolios has been lifted, or weakened at least. Does it say Myrkul still associated with decay/corruption, or if he is related with necromancy in any way, given that Velsharoon seems to be nowhere to be found.

Also, what does it say on Lolth, has she changed in any way?

EDIT: Not even a little reference to what Ed said about Myth Drannor not being completely wiped, and in the process of being possibly rebuilt?

Velsharoon isn't listed in the deity line up.

And yet Velsharoon, Savras, and Leira are listed in Mulmaster's temple of magic as the 3 main gods.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised after this "points of light" era if the list of "Faerunian" deities is more regionally specific now, such that there's no longer an overarching pantheon any longer.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  15:30:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a reference to Lurue in the book, as well, and she's not in the deity line up.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Nov 2015 15:30:33
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  15:52:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I found a reference to Lurue in the book, as well, and she's not in the deity line up.

Does she still serve Mielikki?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  17:24:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Does she still serve Mielikki?

I don't recall if that was specified, and I don't have the book handy to look.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  17:58:37  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Welcome moonbeast. I was originally planning on running my next campaign in 1357 DR (AD&D 1e era) and due to what I'd heard about Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide decided to update it to 1489 DR (implied 5e era) as a result. I'm glad to hear you liked it as you're pretty much the target audience (IMO).

You're also off to a good start if you've read Elminster's Guide and enjoyed it (it's my bible for my upcoming campaign). The thing to keep in mind is that the premise of Elminster's Guide was going to be that it had a collection of notes from Ed Greenwood's personal home campaign for FR (which AFAIK is still in the 2e era, possibly up to the 3e era by now). Now given it did have some 4e material it looks like Ed (or WotC) slipped in some info for the updated canon Realms. But some of the material in Elminster's Guide could contradict other sourcebooks because it was always intended to be Ed Greenwood's own personal notes.

Where are you planning on setting your campaign? If it's Waterdeep, then I hear Waterdeep is a good book. If you're looking to incorporate political intrigue and/or taming the frontier wilderness and building strongholds, Powers of Faerun would be a good book. Faiths and Avatars covers the human pantheon and the churches (along with associated organisations) for each god. If you want to change anything, feel free to. Worship of a lot of gods ended during the Spellplague era because many people believed the gods had died. It is now believed by common people that many of those gods are alive now, it's up to you whether or not those gods actually did die or if it was simply believed they died.

Menzoberranzan is located beneath the Sword Coast and was a good sourcebook. Although my favourite (aside from Elminster's Guide) is Grand History of the Realms.

You of course don't need to read any of these books. However I've always thought of more ideas for adventures after reading an FR sourcebook than I had before reading those sourcebooks. So I think there's a lot of value in reading them.

Actually, I don't think it is a matter of belief. It has been established that the gods have indeed returned, but they are "quieter" now, giving their followers more subtle signs. The gods have always been a part of the Realms landscape, they just aren't as involved as they used to be.

Moonbeast, if you are looking for eaelier texts on gods, Deminhuman Deities and Faiths and Avatars would be good, otherwise any of the FR campaign guides give you info on people, deities, places, and history.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  18:12:55  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus, not all the gods died in the Spellplague, anyway. Some did, to be sure (more than they should have), but not all. And now it has been confirmed by Ed and others that they have returned.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2015 :  21:21:01  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

These are things that would be important to a newcomer as they would ask "Who is Lurue, or who is Velsharoon? They are in the book as having temples but they aren't in the deity line up.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000