Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  19:39:55  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to ask again, can somebody drop me a line or two about the current state of Neverwinter? Has it been rebuilt? Is the chasm still there? Who rules?
(I fear I won't get my physical copy before I'm running my next game).
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  23:05:29  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter sections covers 3 pages. I am going to answer the questions you asked and provide a little additional detail with each question.

Current state of Neverwinter? Neverwinter has been restored and the high road repaired. Most of the threats presented in the Neverwinter campaign setting have been driven off. The orcs, thayans and Netherese have all been chased off.

Has it been rebuilt? The city is in process of rebuilding. The wall around the enclave has been torn down and now people are starting to squat in some of the abandon buildings.

Is the chasm still there? No, Lord Neverember made arrangements to have it sealed with powerful magic.

Who rules? Lord Dagult Neverember rules the city. He has had to move out of the Halls of Justice because the priests of Tyr have returned. He now operates from a modest private villa. He is also reestablishing the city guard and slowly cutting ties with Mintarn. Many of the former rebels are starting to join the guard and beginning to accept Neverember has Lord Protector.

Tarlyn Embersun

Edited by - Tarlyn on 05 Nov 2015 02:21:35
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  23:12:44  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

Neverwinter sections covers 3 pages. I am going to answer the questions you asked and provide a little additional detail with each question.

Current state of Neverwinter? Neverwinter has been restored and the high road repaired. Most of the threats presented in the Neverwinter campaign setting have been drive off. The orcs, thayans and Netherese have all been chased off.

Has it been rebuilt? The city is in process of rebuilding. The wall around the enclave has been torn down and now people are starting to squat in some of the abandon buildings.

Is the chasm still there? No, Lord Neverember made arrangements to have it sealed with powerful magic.

Who rules? Lord Dagult Neverember rules the city. He has had to move out of the Halls of Justice because the priests of Tyr have returned. He now operates from a modest private villa. He is also reestablishing the city guard and slowly cutting ties with Mintarn. Many of the former rebels are starting to join the guard and beginning to accept Neverember has Lord Protector.

So basicly 5th edition Neverwinter is 1st edition Phlan (mind you after the Tyranny of Dragons Adventurer league series 5th Edition Phlan is pretty much 1st edition Phlan again)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2015 :  04:48:47  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

(wow, first post in ages)

The SCAG brought me back to Candlekeep for the first time in a long time as well. The Spellplague wounded a lot of the Realms faithful and it feels like those wounds are finally on the mend for many.

Also, KnightErrantJR, excellent post and well said good sir.

Edited by - Gambit on 05 Nov 2015 04:49:59
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2015 :  07:52:16  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tarlyn Embersun, I thank you for the information. I am surprised to see Neverember still alive (but maybe it's not a big stretch, I'm not sure when he entered the city as, not a conqueror, but protector).
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2015 :  08:42:26  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

I picked up the Player's Handbook, then the Monster Manual and the Dungeon Master's Guide, and was really impressed with the new edition... While I really disliked the changes in the setting in the 4th edition books, it started to occur to me that there was a lot that I accepted in 3rd edition that wasn't really to my liking.

Well said, sir, and timely... I've started reaching the same realizations and I'm also looking forward to seeing 5e unfold. It's good to feel like I'm coming home again. Good venturing to all of us!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  04:09:00  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got the book today, and I was looking at the section on elves. I wish it had gone into more detail, but it isn't too bad. There is a brief description of each of the deities, including the drow deities (all of them, not just Lolth, and Eilistraee has her own little blurb). In this book, they suggest Erevan is a darker deity than they did in Demihuman Deities . Ghaunadaur is listed under drow deities, but it says he is "occasionally revered by drow", which suggests he isn't a true member of the pantheon, as has been discussed before here. There is a brief description of elven history, but it kind of treats it like it expects you to know it already. There is a diagram of Espruar, which is cool. So it could be better, but it isn't terrible.

In the deities section, there is a section on religion in the Realms, as someone mentioned before, and then info on the deities. I find the section on Asmodeus interesting, as it ties in to the section on the afterlife mentioned eaelier. Kelemvor has remained the god of death, which I am happy about. Interestingly, Myrkul is also a god of death, and is often called the Reaper, and he brings the souls to Kel to be judged. However, there is also a list of the deities, and it says Kel is god of the dead, while Myrkul is god of death. I mention this because I know this has come up in discussion before.

These are just my thoughts after briefly looking through it. So far, while I would like more detail, it's not too bad.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  04:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Just got the book today, and I was looking at the section on elves. I wish it had gone into more detail, but it isn't too bad. There is a brief description of each of the deities, including the drow deities (all of them, not just Lolth, and Eilistraee has her own little blurb). In this book, they suggest Erevan is a darker deity than they did in Demihuman Deities . Ghaunadaur is listed under drow deities, but it says he is "occasionally revered by drow", which suggests he isn't a true member of the pantheon, as has been discussed before here. There is a brief description of elven history, but it kind of treats it like it expects you to know it already. There is a diagram of Espruar, which is cool. So it could be better, but it isn't terrible.

In the deities section, there is a section on religion in the Realms, as someone mentioned before, and then info on the deities. I find the section on Asmodeus interesting, as it ties in to the section on the afterlife mentioned eaelier. Kelemvor has remained the god of death, which I am happy about. Interestingly, Myrkul is also a god of death, and is often called the Reaper, and he brings the souls to Kel to be judged. However, there is also a list of the deities, and it says Kel is god of the dead, while Myrkul is god of death. I mention this because I know this has come up in discussion before.

These are just my thoughts after briefly looking through it. So far, while I would like more detail, it's not too bad.

So if...
Kelemvor is the god of the DEAD
Myrkul is the god of DEATH

Whats Bhaal god of?

Presumable Patron deity of Assassins and Murder, if he does have Murder then Myrkul's really only the god of NATURAL death

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  04:48:37  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

quote:

So if...
Kelemvor is the god of the DEAD
Myrkul is the god of DEATH

Whats Bhaal god of?

Presumable Patron deity of Assassins and Murder, if he does have Murder then Myrkul's really only the god of NATURAL death

Murder, according to the 5e PHB.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  04:51:32  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yup, murder. And Kel, Jergal, Myrkul, and Bhaal all have death in their domains

Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  05:12:49  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine shipped on the 3rd, but apparently it will take two weeks to get here.

In the meantime:
Any updates about Myth Drannor, in the aftermath of The Herald?
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  05:24:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much, other than that it has basically been destroyed (again), and places like Evereska are seeing an influx of Cormanthans

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  05:26:22  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenN

Mine shipped on the 3rd, but apparently it will take two weeks to get here.

In the meantime:
Any updates about Myth Drannor, in the aftermath of The Herald?

I feel your pain my local store didnt order enough copies so Im doing an Amazon order which will take 14-21 days

Fortunately Fallout 4 comes out tuesday and once that happans the world could disappear in atomic fire but so long as I still have power for my PC and Steam access I wont notice

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  09:21:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like maybe Ed's finally getting his wish with regard to some of the gods... overlapping portfolios. It's a recipe for intrigue, which translates into adventure hooks and both short and long storylines. TSR and WotC have apparently taken it on themselves since 1987 to keep the gods in separate sandboxes, even to the point of mindlessly hack-and-slashing pantheons to eliminate anything that potentially might resemble redundancy. Have they been convinced to renounce their stupid ways? Time will tell. In the meantime... tell those stories, Ed (and others). Tell 'em quick!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  13:06:08  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see that Ao's decree about portfolios has been lifted, or weakened at least. Does it say Myrkul still associated with decay/corruption, or if he is related with necromancy in any way, given that Velsharoon seems to be nowhere to be found.

Also, what does it say on Lolth, has she changed in any way?

EDIT: Not even a little reference to what Ed said about Myth Drannor not being completely wiped, and in the process of being possibly rebuilt?

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Nov 2015 13:07:51
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:40:36  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for Myth Drannor, not that I could see. I haven't read it cover to cover, but I went to the index ans looked at all the pages it says Myth Drannor was mentioned. There isn't even a section devoted to it, it is just mentioned during the description of other things, and it says it was destroyed when Shade (or Nethril as thetext calls it) fell on it.

There is just a short paragraph on Lolth, in which it says she reigns supreme as the goddess of drow, and ruthlessly eliminates all who threaten her. In the deity list it says she is the goddess of spiders. Myrkul is a god of decay, but it doesn't say anything about necromancy that I could see.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:50:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for Myth Drannor, not that I could see. I haven't read it cover to cover, but I went to the index ans looked at all the pages it says Myth Drannor was mentioned. There isn't even a section devoted to it, it is just mentioned during the description of other things, and it says it was destroyed when Shade (or Nethril as thetext calls it) fell on it.

There is just a short paragraph on Lolth, in which it says she reigns supreme as the goddess of drow, and ruthlessly eliminates all who threaten her. In the deity list it says she is the goddess of spiders. Myrkul is a god of decay, but it doesn't say anything about necromancy that I could see.

Thanks. Well, things are looking really close to what they were before the various cataclysms, then.

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  15:57:31  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome. Seems that way. There is a brief history at the beginning (it mentions the great empires, the fiest Sundering, Crown Wars, ToT, Spellplague, second Sundering, etc), and it actually goes up to 1489. The gods are described as being "quiet, but not silent", and priests interpret their signs, which I seem to remember Ed saying in a panel is what he wanted. So the gods interact with mortals in more subtle ways.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:06:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope to have a copy of this book in my hands by Christmas at the latest.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:38:16  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snotlord

quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

The Dragonborn seem to be running around confused, WotC can't get rid of them now, they're spread across Faerun as refugees from Dragon Tyrants in Returned Abier and as Merchants and Adventurers from Tymanther, but now both are gone as WotC has no idea what to do with them.

Its sounds interesting, too bad were not getting the proper book support to actually use it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Nope. That is, I have not yet seen this book, but I believe I will disagree.

Life and history is random and not designed. Many things happen "just because", and folks have to deal with that. Part of the OGB's appeal IMO is a "lived-in-feel" of an actual campaign, and not the "top-down" approach of worlds with a clearer theme (Dragonlance, Eberron and others).

So in my opinon, WotC does not have to "do" anything with for instance the Dragonborn. It is fine to just let them carry on with whatever the realms throws at them.
I understand the urge to get an explanation or some kind of resolution, but that is not what the realms is about. In my opinion.

Heck, give me 10 more years, and I'll even accept the Spellplague.

On the other hand, if you by "proper" mean "bigger", then I certainly agree.

(wow, first post in ages)

I find it funny you qouted and responded to that, because my comment was premature, Tymanther survived, a bit reduced, so the Dragonborn still have a homeland.

I still stand by what I said about SCAG being a poor substitute for a proper FRCG and FRPG, its an over priced horderve, when what is needed is a full meal.

And an end story origins in the AL.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:39:53  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Knights of Myth Drannor are back.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  17:40:46  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw that too in one of the side panels

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  19:04:40  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It says that Dove has revived the group and hand selects the members. I thought Dove passed in the Herald but I didn't read it so I am wrong there I guess? I am still waiting for the Simbul to come back and rule Aglarond again. May as well get rid of all the stupid decisions the previous edition brought about (disclaimer, only my opinion on what stupid is :) )
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  19:29:15  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor's references in the book are all in the past tense save for one that mentions that members of the Moonstars are active there. Most are reiterating that the city was recently ruined, was destroyed, was the source of Evereska's population explosion, etc.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  21:53:34  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

It says that Dove has revived the group and hand selects the members. I thought Dove passed in the Herald

She did. I guess she got resurrected.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2015 :  22:16:40  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It says that Dove has revived the group and hand selects the members. I thought Dove passed in the Herald

I get that the book aims to just give a ''status quo'' of the Realms, but seriously, certain thing ought to be explained. They went with ''the Sundering brought them back'' for the gods and all the lands that had disappeared, but undoing something that has *just* happened should require at least a little bit of clarification (even if it's just ''Mystra resurrected Dove''). Otherwise it almost seems like novels aren't canon anymore.

Edited by - Irennan on 06 Nov 2015 22:20:30
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I find it funny you qouted and responded to that, because my comment was premature, Tymanther survived, a bit reduced, so the Dragonborn still have a homeland.

I still stand by what I said about SCAG being a poor substitute for a proper FRCG and FRPG, its an over priced horderve, when what is needed is a full meal.

And an end story origins in the AL.

Well, I too was premature as I responded to your post, not the book itself. I'm still waiting for mine.

My point was simply this: we should not ask for explanations for all loose ends or a greater purpose.
The realms is a setting for thousands of stories, while for instance Middle-Earth and Dragonlance is settings for just one great story. I think we would loose something with a tighter focus.
Eberron is another example - its a great setting, but somehow it feels like the first draft was done on whiteboards and excel sheets. The realms is IMO not that at all.
So I do not mind lost Dragonborn running about, or what have you.

But perhaps I got it wrong, no worries mate. Sorry for derailing the thread.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:35:23  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh. Well then. Sucks to be Sylune, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:40:13  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh. Well then. Sucks to be Sylune, I guess.

Or Qilué...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2015 :  00:42:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Glad to see that Ao's decree about portfolios has been lifted, or weakened at least. Does it say Myrkul still associated with decay/corruption, or if he is related with necromancy in any way, given that Velsharoon seems to be nowhere to be found.

Also, what does it say on Lolth, has she changed in any way?

EDIT: Not even a little reference to what Ed said about Myth Drannor not being completely wiped, and in the process of being possibly rebuilt?

There's a temple to Velsharoon in Mulmaster.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000