Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 17

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2015 :  18:21:59  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally had a chance to read through the Sword Coast Adventure's Guide. It is a very introductory book, and it explicitly tells us it is. Which means there could be more books in the future highlighting different regions of the Realms. Or we can hope, at least. To those of us who played back in the 80s and 90s, we're never going to see that level of published detail again. (It was the Golden Age of the published Forgotten Realms.) The published Realms material through 3.5e spoiled us. It's almost like I'm addicted to the Realms, and I just can't get enough to calm the fixation. The Sword Coast Adventure's Guide is the first real fix I've had in a long while!

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2015 :  19:45:55  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Volo mentioned anywhere/does he make an appearance in the book? It would be nice if they at least homaged him, seeing the first person narrator style of the chapter regarding the Sword Coast.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 30 Oct 2015 19:46:20
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  07:20:23  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not see any of Volo in there Irennan.

Another character I also haven't seen is Mr Craulnober. I have largely been away from the Realms since the Spellplague dropped, can anyone tell me if Elaith was covered in any of the novels and what his current status is? Luckily hes an elf so can logically still be gracing us with his snarky presence.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  13:06:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gambit

Another character I also haven't seen is Mr Craulnober. I have largely been away from the Realms since the Spellplague dropped, can anyone tell me if Elaith was covered in any of the novels and what his current status is? Luckily hes an elf so can logically still be gracing us with his snarky presence.

Thanks for looking. Elaith's fate isn't covered anywhere, AFAIK, so we don't know what he has been up to during the 4e century.

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  16:38:42  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghaunadaur's still worshipped by some Drow according to the Elf Racial Section, so he's still a god. He's not the only one mentioned as being a God in SCAG, but not listed in the Gods section. Its really goofy and its something an editor should have rectified.

So don't assume that its a full list. The book is well written for the most part, but poorly organized and edited.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  17:06:02  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Ghaunadaur's still worshipped by some Drow according to the Elf Racial Section, so he's still a god. He's not the only one mentioned as being a God in SCAG, but not listed in the Gods section. Its really goofy and its something an editor should have rectified.

So don't assume that its a full list. The book is well written for the most part, but poorly organized and edited.

Has Velsharoon been mentioned anywhere? He's one of the few gods that were completely ignored in 5e thus far. Did they replace him with returned Myrkul?

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  19:35:58  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ghaunadaur's still worshipped by some Drow according to the Elf Racial Section, so he's still a god. He's not the only one mentioned as being a God in SCAG, but not listed in the Gods section.

It's possible that the authors reasoned that Ghaunadaur is really not a drow god/primordial/whatever. (I kinda like the distinction of primordials being powerful entities which aren't exactly gods, but I'm not a fan of the 4e reorganization of the pantheon.)

Point is: Ghaunadaur was discovered and adopted by some Ilythiiri, back in the day, but it's never been a drow god. It doesn't manifest drow avatars, and it doesn't care about the drow beyond how much power they can give it. Putting it in the drow pantheon was kinda sloppy when it was originally done. Taking it out is fixing a logic problem.

So it makes sense (to me) that Ghaunadaur is still a powerful entity of some sort, but not listed on any pantheons.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  20:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I caved in and bought the big FR map, too. It's quite beautiful. I just wish there was one with a hex overlay, so I could use it to calculate distances. I tried downloading the distance calculator from Candlekeep but it won't run (something about a missing .dll file). I'm trying to figure out just how long the Triboar Trail is, any takers?
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  21:02:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I caved in and bought the big FR map, too. It's quite beautiful. I just wish there was one with a hex overlay, so I could use it to calculate distances. I tried downloading the distance calculator from Candlekeep but it won't run (something about a missing .dll file). I'm trying to figure out just how long the Triboar Trail is, any takers?

If you Google the missing .dll, download it, and copy it to the folder you extracted the Travel Calculator to, the program opens.
Also, from the High Road to Conyberry is about 65 miles, according to the map in LMoP, which does have hexes.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 01 Nov 2015 21:08:34
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  21:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but the trail continues farther east, hence the question. But thank you for the tip!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  21:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, but the trail continues farther east, hence the question. But thank you for the tip!

No problem! And eyeballing it, it looks like from Conyberry to Triboar is an additional 25-50 miles? It appears slightly shorter than from the High Road to Conyberry. Just measuring with a ruler on the big Sword Coast map from approximately where Connyberry is, it's closer to 50 miles in a straight line.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2015 :  21:40:18  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh for the days of OGB which came with a A4 size clear plastic sheet with Hexs printed on it for both the Faerun map and the more zoomed in Dalelands and Western Hearland maps

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2015 :  07:56:29  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually do have the 2nd edition boxed set with those sheets, but I suspect that the distances are different between 2nd and 5th edition. It is obviously not a big deal, as I'm prepping a RPG reunion weekend (two weeks to go, wee!) and I'm going to run LOST MINE OF PHANDELVER with some embellishments. One such embellishment is that they come to the crossroads where the Triboar Trail begins (on the High Road), to meet a Seven Suns Trading Coster caravan with some NPCs (an opportunity to introduce PCs, and to ask the caravan NPCs any questions - and maybe buying a map from him, the map of the region from the starter set which I have printed out and rolled up).
I decided to have a huge stone/monolith on the crossroads with a few pointers, like "Neverwinter, 40 miles north", "Waterdeep 190 miles south", "Triboar," etc. just to give the characters / players that feeling of a large world outside their immediate attention.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2015 :  23:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually do have the 2nd edition boxed set with those sheets, but I suspect that the distances are different between 2nd and 5th edition. It is obviously not a big deal, as I'm prepping a RPG reunion weekend (two weeks to go, wee!) and I'm going to run LOST MINE OF PHANDELVER with some embellishments. One such embellishment is that they come to the crossroads where the Triboar Trail begins (on the High Road), to meet a Seven Suns Trading Coster caravan with some NPCs (an opportunity to introduce PCs, and to ask the caravan NPCs any questions - and maybe buying a map from him, the map of the region from the starter set which I have printed out and rolled up).
I decided to have a huge stone/monolith on the crossroads with a few pointers, like "Neverwinter, 40 miles north", "Waterdeep 190 miles south", "Triboar," etc. just to give the characters / players that feeling of a large world outside their immediate attention.

2ed Box set?!?!?

You young wipper snapper!

The OGB (Original Grey Boxset) is the first edition Forgotten realms Campaign setting

:-p

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  09:47:18  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Gambit

Thanks for looking. Elaith's fate isn't covered anywhere, AFAIK, so we don't know what he has been up to during the 4e century.

That's a shame, I feel like he was right on the verge of alignment shifting from NE to TN, some good old fashion character growth. I am definitely interested in seeing him revisited when they get around to it.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  09:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ordered the book today, it's hard not to when you have the rest of the 5th edition material. Anyway, could anyone spoil me on the state of Neverwinter?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  12:31:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I have it and can't help but be impressed. There's enough detail to give DMs a boost if running a 5E campaign in the North, some clever updates and changes to places and organisations as well as a bunch of crunch that has utility for all gamers, not just FR fans. There's also lots of information provided in what I would describe as an "uncertain" manner. Uncertain in that the text speculates on what could or could not be the story/history of a place or person. Examples are Evermeet and Gauntlgrym. That's good stuff and if I didn't know any better, denotes the hand of our very own Garen Thal. I like the book and if it was the first in a series that covered Faerūn in detail, I'd be a happy man. I guess I'll have to wait to see ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  12:45:48  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet. Can't wait for UPS to drop mine off today. :)
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  13:31:36  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll have to wait about two weeks, before I get mine.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  14:27:19  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Well, I have it and can't help but be impressed. There's enough detail to give DMs a boost if running a 5E campaign in the North, some clever updates and changes to places and organisations as well as a bunch of crunch that has utility for all gamers, not just FR fans. There's also lots of information provided in what I would describe as an "uncertain" manner. Uncertain in that the text speculates on what could or could not be the story/history of a place or person. Examples are Evermeet and Gauntlgrym. That's good stuff and if I didn't know any better, denotes the hand of our very own Garen Thal. I like the book and if it was the first in a series that covered Faerūn in detail, I'd be a happy man. I guess I'll have to wait to see ...

-- George Krashos

That's very encouraging to hear. Thanks, George.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  14:35:44  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The book is now also available within FANTASY GROUNDS.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.xcp?id=WOTC5ESCAG
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  16:37:24  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm waiting for mine to arrive

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2015 :  23:39:32  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone noticed the disclaimer on the credits page?

"Wizards of the Coast cannot be held responsible for any actions undertaken by entities native to or currently inhabiting the Forgotten Realms, including necromancer lords of distant magocracies, resident mages of any or all Dales but especially Shadowdale, drow rangers wielding one or more scimitars and accompanied by one or more panthers, mad wizards inhabiting sprawling dungeons accessible via a well in the middle of a tavern, beholders who head up criminal cartels, and anyone with the word Many-Arrows in their name. In the event of a catastrophic encounter with any or all such entities, blame your Dungeon Master. If that doesn't work, blame Ed Greenwood, but don't tell him we told you that. He knows more archmages than we do."

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  00:38:15  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Anyone noticed the disclaimer on the credits page?

"Wizards of the Coast cannot be held responsible for any actions undertaken by entities native to or currently inhabiting the Forgotten Realms, including necromancer lords of distant magocracies, resident mages of any or all Dales but especially Shadowdale, drow rangers wielding one or more scimitars and accompanied by one or more panthers, mad wizards inhabiting sprawling dungeons accessible via a well in the middle of a tavern, beholders who head up criminal cartels, and anyone with the word Many-Arrows in their name. In the event of a catastrophic encounter with any or all such entities, blame your Dungeon Master. If that doesn't work, blame Ed Greenwood, but don't tell him we told you that. He knows more archmages than we do."

I saw that in a screenshot someone shared somewhere. Funny stuff.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  00:39:36  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha that's great

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  01:57:06  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have been putting one of those disclaimers in each of their books. They can be quite funny.

Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  14:46:46  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read through a bunch of it yesterday. I really dig the book. The narration almost reminds of the old 2E Player's Guide with the Seekers (which I found a fun read too). Some new interesting developments. Hope we see more products like this in the future.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  16:26:43  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's been a while since I chimed in on a Forgotten Realms product. I am moved to do so now.

Before I get to what I have to say about the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, my thoughts on 5th edition are probably somewhat relevant to the discussion.

For years I played 3rd edition D&D in various forms. When 4th edition hit, I was enough of a fan of 3rd edition that I jumped to Pathfinder. A few years more of running Pathfinder, and it eventually occurred to me that while 4th edition wasn't my preference, 3rd edition was more cumbersome and complicated that I would have liked as well, and I moved on completely from D&D for several years.

When 5th edition came out, I didn't think I was going to particularly care. Then I saw the free "basic" rules, and I was really impressed. I picked up the Player's Handbook, then the Monster Manual and the Dungeon Master's Guide, and was really impressed with the new edition. What struck me was that 5th edition felt like what I "really" wanted as a follow up to the good things that I liked about 2nd edition D&D. It felt more like an alternate reality where 5th edition was really 3rd edition, and it struck a chord with me.

Now, I say that because it's relevant to how I fell about the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. For years I picked up 3rd edition Forgotten Realms books, in part because I was afraid that the line would be shelved and I wouldn't see more Realms products. While I really disliked the changes in the setting in the 4th edition books, it started to occur to me that there was a lot that I accepted in 3rd edition that wasn't really to my liking.

The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is the first Forgotten Realms D&D product that I've been excited about in a long time. That's not to say there haven't been some good products, but many of them felt like they had some bad with the good, or spent a lot of times "fixing" things. You could argue that the Adventurer's Guide exists to "fix" things as well, but the way the material is presented, there is a feeling that "this is what the Realms are," rather than "this thing was a thing but now it's not a thing." In the places where this is true, it tends to be minimized. The book doesn't dwell on what it had to "fix" as much as just stating that those things are fixed, and then moves on.

It is not an in-depth treatment of the setting, but it is a good enough treatment of the setting to fully utilize the 5th edition rules in the current edition of the Realms, and I think if you have loved the general Realms setting for multiple editions, there is much to love in this book. Not only that, I think it was entirely the right direction to have much of the material presented by a potential unreliable narrator "on the ground" in the setting, and to minimize the quantification of things with numbers.

In a lot of ways, this almost feels like what I would have really wanted in a 3rd edition campaign setting book.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  16:34:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

It's been a while since I chimed in on a Forgotten Realms product. I am moved to do so now.

Before I get to what I have to say about the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, my thoughts on 5th edition are probably somewhat relevant to the discussion.

For years I played 3rd edition D&D in various forms. When 4th edition hit, I was enough of a fan of 3rd edition that I jumped to Pathfinder. A few years more of running Pathfinder, and it eventually occurred to me that while 4th edition wasn't my preference, 3rd edition was more cumbersome and complicated that I would have liked as well, and I moved on completely from D&D for several years.

When 5th edition came out, I didn't think I was going to particularly care. Then I saw the free "basic" rules, and I was really impressed. I picked up the Player's Handbook, then the Monster Manual and the Dungeon Master's Guide, and was really impressed with the new edition. What struck me was that 5th edition felt like what I "really" wanted as a follow up to the good things that I liked about 2nd edition D&D. It felt more like an alternate reality where 5th edition was really 3rd edition, and it struck a chord with me.

Now, I say that because it's relevant to how I fell about the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. For years I picked up 3rd edition Forgotten Realms books, in part because I was afraid that the line would be shelved and I wouldn't see more Realms products. While I really disliked the changes in the setting in the 4th edition books, it started to occur to me that there was a lot that I accepted in 3rd edition that wasn't really to my liking.

The Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide is the first Forgotten Realms D&D product that I've been excited about in a long time. That's not to say there haven't been some good products, but many of them felt like they had some bad with the good, or spent a lot of times "fixing" things. You could argue that the Adventurer's Guide exists to "fix" things as well, but the way the material is presented, there is a feeling that "this is what the Realms are," rather than "this thing was a thing but now it's not a thing." In the places where this is true, it tends to be minimized. The book doesn't dwell on what it had to "fix" as much as just stating that those things are fixed, and then moves on.

It is not an in-depth treatment of the setting, but it is a good enough treatment of the setting to fully utilize the 5th edition rules in the current edition of the Realms, and I think if you have loved the general Realms setting for multiple editions, there is much to love in this book. Not only that, I think it was entirely the right direction to have much of the material presented by a potential unreliable narrator "on the ground" in the setting, and to minimize the quantification of things with numbers.

In a lot of ways, this almost feels like what I would have really wanted in a 3rd edition campaign setting book.

That's even better news. Amazon is telling me that I won't see my package until the 9th, and the anticipation is driving me nuts.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2015 :  16:55:37  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Dragonborn seem to be running around confused, WotC can't get rid of them now, they're spread across Faerun as refugees from Dragon Tyrants in Returned Abier and as Merchants and Adventurers from Tymanther, but now both are gone as WotC has no idea what to do with them.

Its sounds interesting, too bad were not getting the proper book support to actually use it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Nope. That is, I have not yet seen this book, but I believe I will disagree.

Life and history is random and not designed. Many things happen "just because", and folks have to deal with that. Part of the OGB's appeal IMO is a "lived-in-feel" of an actual campaign, and not the "top-down" approach of worlds with a clearer theme (Dragonlance, Eberron and others).

So in my opinon, WotC does not have to "do" anything with for instance the Dragonborn. It is fine to just let them carry on with whatever the realms throws at them.
I understand the urge to get an explanation or some kind of resolution, but that is not what the realms is about. In my opinion.

Heck, give me 10 more years, and I'll even accept the Spellplague.

On the other hand, if you by "proper" mean "bigger", then I certainly agree.

(wow, first post in ages)

Edited by - Snotlord on 04 Nov 2015 19:57:04
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 17 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000