Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 My maps
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
13606 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2017 :  17:46:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've also been playing with color-variations in the different kinds of forest. None of the terrain 'swatches' are set-in-stone as of now. I'm still playing with stuff. I wanted just plain, solid colors for the initial release, but I realize some are just way too close to others and could cause confusion (like the 'rolling hills' terrain I have going on over in K-T - K-T always had that, and its been sorely missing from Faerūn, although mike schley has been doing a bang-up job of adding some of it in in his more recent maps).

I'm also trying to stick with a somewhat darker palette - I want it all to seem 'grittier'. The 3e map was wonderful, and its what got me started doing this in the first place, but in hindsight, its too 'bright and cheery'. Its entirely the wrong vibe for a setting thats supposed to be ancient, and built on top of the bones of a thousand fallen civilizations. Even Mike Schely's maps (and god knows how much I love those) are a bit too 'happy' - they are perfect for an idyllic, sylvan setting (like the Feywild), but they just don't express that 'somber, brooding mood' I am trying to go for. I need people to look at the maps and think, "bad things have happened there".

And yet, life goes on, and light continues - barely - to prevail.

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Enjoyed the progress update.

-- George Krashos
And everyone can thank Krash for making me finally realize we have needed something like this a for a really long time.

I can only hope you (and others like you) do amazing things with it down the road.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000