Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Once More Unto the Breach!! *SPOILERS*
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 36

VikingLegion
Senior Scribe

USA
426 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2019 :  13:49:38  Show Profile Send VikingLegion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished Elminster Enraged. I can't believe I read it so fast, I really just had to bear down and tell myself to read ~100 pages a day.

As per my usual, it was a very up-and-down experience:

Elminster, in a drow priestess form (does it seem at times like Elminster is obsessed with inhabiting female bodies?), finds himself beset by 20 drow warriors and with limited magic at his disposal. His swordsmanship is up to the task of course, and he dispatches several of them via the blade. So not is he only the greatest archmage of all time, he's also a better swordman than Drizzt…

There was a really fun scene when he is trying to come up from the Underdark and the only available path takes him through a black dragon's lair. As a distraction he casts a spell he calls The Awakening that activates every magical item in the hoard, causing various wands and rings and necklaces and whatever other bauble to discharge their spells and properties all at once. The ensuing chaos is impressive, as fireballs and lightning bolts go careening all around the cavern, knocking over stalactites and some hitting the dragon. El then casts a very advanced form of remote telekinesis on a chest of sapphires, flying it out of the cave and making the dragon give chase. He flies it all over the valley outside, zigzagging wildly to keep the dragon occupied like my cat chasing after the laser pointer.

Oops, have to run, but much more to say. I'll come back and edit this later.
Go to Top of Page

Madpig
Learned Scribe

Finland
143 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  06:07:42  Show Profile Send Madpig a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VikingLegion

I finished Elminster Enraged. I can't believe I read it so fast, I really just had to bear down and tell myself to read ~100 pages a day.

As per my usual, it was a very up-and-down experience:

Elminster, in a drow priestess form (does it seem at times like Elminster is obsessed with inhabiting female bodies?), finds himself beset by 20 drow warriors and with limited magic at his disposal. His swordsmanship is up to the task of course, and he dispatches several of them via the blade. So not is he only the greatest archmage of all time, he's also a better swordman than Drizzt…

There was a really fun scene when he is trying to come up from the Underdark and the only available path takes him through a black dragon's lair. As a distraction he casts a spell he calls The Awakening that activates every magical item in the hoard, causing various wands and rings and necklaces and whatever other bauble to discharge their spells and properties all at once. The ensuing chaos is impressive, as fireballs and lightning bolts go careening all around the cavern, knocking over stalactites and some hitting the dragon. El then casts a very advanced form of remote telekinesis on a chest of sapphires, flying it out of the cave and making the dragon give chase. He flies it all over the valley outside, zigzagging wildly to keep the dragon occupied like my cat chasing after the laser pointer.

Oops, have to run, but much more to say. I'll come back and edit this later.

I dont remember that much on Enraged, but I think it was said in Shadows of Avatar trilogys first outing, that El is really good swordsman. And also his statlines atleast in 3.X edition actually reflects this. El is actually only mage that it actually makes sense. As he has been limited to not using magic multiple times. And he even was ftr/rog/cle before being mage.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Senior Scribe

Canada
953 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  10:53:03  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry I haven't been contributing much lately, the post 4th edition books were hardly my fave. I really hated what they did with the Simbul, in particular in these books so stopped reading even Ed's works. I did continue on with Bob's stuff through the Companions and the 5th edition Sundering stuff.

I just remember the Elminster Must Die/Enraged stuff being typical Ed in Cormyr writing that was so full of lore but very hard to follow plot and story wise; lots of characters introduced then taken away, lots of "sexy", and occasional brilliance. But the Simbul has always been my fave Chosen and to see the state of her in these books just wasn't appealing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 36 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2019 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000