Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Partitioning Of Mystra's Power
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  07:45:55  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've always enjoyed looking at different publications and seeing how things have changed. Here is one I'd never noticed before tonight. In more modern publications it is stated that Mystra divided her power up willingly and consciously amongst her servants for numerous reasons. Today while going through the old Shadowdale module i came across this statement:

Unbeknownst to the Goddess of Magic, Ao long ago took some of her power and divided it up between other entities - the demigod Azuth and several humans (including Elminster, The Simbul, and Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun). This both kept Mystra from becoming too powerful, and prevented any other being from gaining too much power from controlling her. Ao's actions incidentally granted the humans immortality.

This puts a hugely different spin on Mystra and her Chosen. It also would allow for the possibility that there are Chosen out there that even Mystra doesn't know about...

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  11:15:34  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's about regular prophylactics, you see.
Lost partition found.
Boot record restored.
Integrity check...100%
Mount? [Y/n]

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  11:43:15  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the second take on it better, personally! I also like ambiguity and imperfect narrators with conflicting accounts.

Do you think the willingly version was a retcon?
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  12:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the explanation that Mystra knows about it and is under orders to divvy up her power. It's a bit silly to think that she wouldn't understand where her own chosen get their power, she even picks her own chosen and invests divine energy into them
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2015 :  12:50:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

I like the explanation that Mystra knows about it and is under orders to divvy up her power. It's a bit silly to think that she wouldn't understand where her own chosen get their power, she even picks her own chosen and invests divine energy into them

Agreed. Maybe Ao forced that on her, but IMO she should know when her power gets removed. Perhaps the new vessel of that power could remain unknown, but not the fact that some of it has been taken away.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000