Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 drizzet demons and dungeons OH MY!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  04:00:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

I think we should wait to read the adventure first AND THEN draw some conclusions.

Nonsense! The internet is no place for facts and informed opinions!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  06:13:12  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

With Demogorgon, Grazzt and Orcus around I think Eilistraee and Vhaeraun better keep their heads low, I doubt they can confront demonprinces even at half of their power. But seeing all the Dark Seldarines reactions would be awesome, indeed.

A human (albeit epic) adventuring party once defeated Orcus, why would a lesser (or greater)God be intimidated?

Now Drizzt on the other hand would need some serious help if he has any hope to survive an encounter with those "guys".

Edited by - jordanz on 08 May 2015 06:19:31
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  08:42:44  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz
A human (albeit epic) adventuring party once defeated Orcus, why would a lesser (or greater)God be intimidated?

Now Drizzt on the other hand would need some serious help if he has any hope to survive an encounter with those "guys".

Well, in the original The Throne of Bloodstone, the suggested the heroes who fought Orcus, were extremaly powerfull. Among the pregenerated characters, were powered up versions of the gods Artemis and Hermes.

Edited by - Baltas on 08 May 2015 10:26:47
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  11:02:34  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

quote:

With Demogorgon, Grazzt and Orcus around I think Eilistraee and Vhaeraun better keep their heads low, I doubt they can confront demonprinces even at half of their power. But seeing all the Dark Seldarines reactions would be awesome, indeed.

I think that Eilistraee and Vhaeraun are demipowers now (or Eilistraee, at least). We know that they can still make avatars (as Ed said that they manifested to their followers also through avatars, to announce their return), so they must be deities, but they appear to be depowered. Since they originally were lesser deities, that only leaves the demipower option open.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  14:21:09  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was honestly hoping we would get another "War of the spider queen" type series out of this.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  14:32:11  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I was honestly hoping we would get another "War of the spider queen" type series out of this.

Idk, I think we have had enough godly deaths (also, so many of them have just come back...) and power plays (which were the main point of the WotSQ and follow up storyline). Besides, after the Sundering, gods are forbidden from doing that kind of stuff, AFAIK.

It looks like the new RAS' novel will be tied to this, though.

Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  20:55:52  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Taurendil

I think we should wait to read the adventure first AND THEN draw some conclusions.

Nonsense! The internet is no place for facts and informed opinions!

Humph! I like better the kind of forum where everyone says and thinks the same, not this bacchanalia of "I think's" and "I believe's". Where's your secret police? Sure you have one.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  20:56:01  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, with the Sundering and Ao's new decrees limiting the gods influence, it makes sense the greater fiends wield sieze this opportunity to assert more control on Faerun. At least for now the demons seem to have a sound strategy for once.

Asmodeus best keep tabs on Faerun. Is he still a diety on Toril by the way?

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2015 :  23:22:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So, with the Sundering and Ao's new decrees limiting the gods influence, it makes sense the greater fiends wield sieze this opportunity to assert more control on Faerun. At least for now the demons seem to have a sound strategy for once.

He's not listed in the PHB's "Gods of the Multiverse" appendix.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2015 :  01:25:36  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not a whole derivative game (for emo kids)?
"Drizzts & Diaries"

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2015 :  14:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to and a copy of the synopsis for Out of the Abyss, the tabletop adventure for Rage of Demons:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/outoftheabyss

quote:
Dare to descend into the Underdark in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game!

The Underdark is a subterranean wonderland, a vast and twisted labyrinth where fear reigns. It is the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark elf Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, casts a foul spell meant to ignite a magical energy that suffuses the Underdark and tears open portals to the demonic Abyss. What steps through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the Underdark escalates and threatens to shake the Forgotten Realms to its foundations. Stop the madness before it consumes you!

A Dungeons & Dragons adventure for characters of levels 1–15

Drizzt isn't mentioned in this synopsis. Along with the other info we've gotten, this makes me believe that if he even appears in this adventure, it will be in a minor role at most, and that there's very little chance he'll upstage the PCs as a DMPC. The D&D and Green Ronin staffs aren't fools - they have to know that using Drizzt as a DMPC would be a huge turnoff for a lot of players.

EDIT: Extraneous word.

Edited by - Krafus on 09 May 2015 14:02:13
Go to Top of Page

Taurendil
Acolyte

Chile
43 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2015 :  15:33:16  Show Profile Send Taurendil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, that blurb reminds me the premise of Doom.

- Ideas desordenadas sin RPG en específico www.juegoconamnesia.blogspot.com (Spanish)
- Des idées en vrac pour n'importe quel JdR www.jeudeloubli.blogspot.com (French)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  00:50:00  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus

Here is a link to and a copy of the synopsis for Out of the Abyss, the tabletop adventure for Rage of Demons:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/outoftheabyss

quote:
Dare to descend into the Underdark in this adventure for the world’s greatest roleplaying game!

The Underdark is a subterranean wonderland, a vast and twisted labyrinth where fear reigns. It is the home of horrific monsters that have never seen the light of day. It is here that the dark elf Gromph Baenre, Archmage of Menzoberranzan, casts a foul spell meant to ignite a magical energy that suffuses the Underdark and tears open portals to the demonic Abyss. What steps through surprises even him, and from that moment on, the insanity that pervades the Underdark escalates and threatens to shake the Forgotten Realms to its foundations. Stop the madness before it consumes you!

A Dungeons & Dragons adventure for characters of levels 1–15

Well, the next book in Salvatore's order is "Archmage" and the synopsis is exactly this situation, soooooooooo. Yeah, I think he will be
Drizzt isn't mentioned in this synopsis. Along with the other info we've gotten, this makes me believe that if he even appears in this adventure, it will be in a minor role at most, and that there's very little chance he'll upstage the PCs as a DMPC. The D&D and Green Ronin staffs aren't fools - they have to know that using Drizzt as a DMPC would be a huge turnoff for a lot of players.

EDIT: Extraneous word.

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  07:54:22  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What the Forgotten Realms needs (in my opinion) is series of adventures that don't involve huge stakes all the time. As someone said elsewhere it becomes a bit too much with yet another super-threat to the Realms. Granted this might be an excellent adventure and all that, but I'd love to see more setting material that brings the fluff into my stuff, adventures that do not shake the world to its core.
Maybe hire some above-average authors to develop new Realms characters that stand a chance to become widely popular (I know, Drizzt as a concept is pretty cool, dark elf with twin scimitars and panther and all that).
More morally grey characters with interesting traits, appearance, or whatever, well written and with a few mysteries attached, and perhaps no superpowers, but rather a man or woman of the people, giving us a cynical, perhaps even humorous look on the Realms, the gods, the realm-shattering events etc.
If they could hire a Joe Abercrombie, or Mark Lawrence, or a similarly popular author - these guys really know how to write solid characters - to write a Realms story about a new character...a man can dream. I'd love to see someone like that do a Realms story.
Go to Top of Page

Krafus
Learned Scribe

246 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  14:45:54  Show Profile  Visit Krafus's Homepage Send Krafus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

If they could hire a Joe Abercrombie, or Mark Lawrence, or a similarly popular author - these guys really know how to write solid characters - to write a Realms story about a new character...a man can dream. I'd love to see someone like that do a Realms story.

From what I understand, the reason why Paul Kemp no longer wants to write FR novels is because Wizards offered to pay him below industry standards (note that I have no idea what those standards might be). So I really don't see them offering big bucks to a famous author anytime soon, even moreso considering they've already got a golden goose, R.A. Salvatore.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  16:31:08  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Asmodeus remains a greater deity for the moment. But by the end of "Ashes of the Tyrant", which comes out in the fall/winter, I can almost guarantee you that he won't be. Erin Evans's whole series has been building toward Asmodeus being cast down from godhood.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  19:43:11  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting. So Asmodeus might actually prefer to loose godhood if he wants to affect Faerun more directly.

I think Evans, Kemp and Salvatore will have to be consulted and involved with this storyline, which is awesome.

Tempted to try Evans work now...

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Mirtek
Senior Scribe

595 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  23:25:35  Show Profile Send Mirtek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the MM has already spoilered the divinity of Asmodeus in 5e. Just read the section on the nine hells in the MM
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2015 :  23:33:01  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

Actually the MM has already spoilered the divinity of Asmodeus in 5e. Just read the section on the nine hells in the MM

They spoilered it even before the release of the MM: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/excerpt-bone-devil

Go to Top of Page

sno4wy
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2015 :  13:55:25  Show Profile Send sno4wy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Why not a whole derivative game (for emo kids)?
"Drizzts Diaries of Crying with Scimitars"

Fixed. ;P
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2015 :  03:48:38  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
Originally posted by Mirtek

They spoilered it even before the release of the MM: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/excerpt-bone-devil

I HATE that they did that. Both Kemp's "Twilight War" series and Evans's "Brimstone Angels" series were giving us a fantastic look at the plotting and scheming in the Nine Hells. But they come out way before Evans finishes her series and tell us that: a) Asmodeus lost some of his godhood, and b) Asmodeus still sits on the throne.

It just makes it harder for me to get excited about any future reveals on politics in the Nine Hells. Ultimately, Asmodeus always wins because he's 10 million steps ahead of everyone else, all the time.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000