Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Cormyrean Order of Succession
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Calrond
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  17:56:05  Show Profile Send Calrond a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm running a campaign set in 1372 DR in which the order of succession of the throne of Cormyr is an important factor. I know that Azoun V is the king with Princess Alusair as his regent and Filfaeril as the dowager queen.

My question is concerning the order of succession. Is there a list of who would be next in line for the throne (in 1372 DR) should the three of them die? Presumably those would be Azoun IV's next of kin, any of his father's (Rhigaerd II's) other children or their offspring.

Also, what are the specific laws in Cormyr for the order of succession as it applies to bastard children? I see that in 4e, Aubrin Crownsilver was fourth in line to the throne because his father was the bastard child of a prince of Cormyr. Would Azoun IV's bastards have any legitimate claim to the throne? (My initial thought was "no" but after reading about Aubrin Crownsilver, it may not be that simple.)

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  20:00:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If they've got Obarskyr blood in them, they are a potential heir to the throne. Unfortunately, pretty much every noble house in Cormyr has a legitimate claim of having Obarskyr blood and, as you mentioned, Azoun IV supposedly had a lot of bastard children. Add to these complications the nobles who have wards with unsubstantiated but believable claims of bastardry and the list becomes almost impossible to compile without access to the birth records kept within the heavily guarded palace records room.

I would say, without any *solid* authority, that should all of the direct heirs be killed, there would be a chaotic clamour for the throne followed by a lot of assassinations to narrow down the choices.

Laspeera, as a very powerful individual and Filfaeril's sister, could be pronounced regent while the chaos is being sorted out, while Filfaeril's Blades would be working overtime trying to ensure that an heir who had Cormyr's best interests at heart would eventually be named king (I'd guess that it would more likely be a male than a female).

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2015 :  21:32:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe George Krashos is the best to answer as it appears he has spent some (Much) time on blood lines.

At best I can offer a traditional answer. In general it appear the with an unnamed heir and unexpected death, the heir is either the first born child (first born male child) still living. As you ask about that lack there are a few options for next legal heir:

1) Younger sibling of same parents, younger sibling of deceased ruler (True blood).
2) Nephew (maybe Niece) of deceased ruler, first born of grandparents (True Blood).
3) Child of deceased ruler recognized as child by other then legal mate (Half Blood).
4) Child of deceased ruler, not recognized that can prove claim, by other then legal mate (Half Blood).
5) The one that has a blood claim and strength enough to enforce it.
6) The most powerful adviser to the realm, even if claiming to be regent for 1,000 years or more, child inheriting the duty and power from adviser. After a certain point in time should be able to prove to enough to take the title.

As Cormyr has has female rulers in the past it clearly is possible that that male preferred might not apply or might be same reason England has had Queens (No legal male descendent available.)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000