Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 D&D Core Products
 Dragon+ magazine.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  23:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
See this article for details.
It looks pretty sweet. I have to wait for the Android version, though.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  23:34:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?446560-UPDATED-Dragon-An-Official-D-amp-D-iOS-App

It will contain FR updates. And it seems to be free. Cool, not a CS, but at least we'll get some FR articles (hopefully they'll get Ed to write them too)-

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  23:38:27  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the extra link! I'm just hoping I'll be able to print out articles I want to archive.

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:27:12  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whe I downloaded it to my IPad, I noticed there was a note about "in-app purchases," but that appears to apply to advertised content.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah. Just found this as well. From what I'm reading, it's supposed to be free. I'm good with that.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:41:26  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa
I'm good with that.

Who wouldn't be

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  00:56:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

quote:
I'm good with that.

Who wouldn't be

My thoughts exactly. It appeals to my ancestry. I do recall once hearing someone complain about a free service that didn't offer subscriber only content...

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  02:42:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suspect that when they say "Forgotten Realms" information, they mean articles about the organised play adventures set in the Realms and the computer games. I would love to be wrong about that, but I don't think I am.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  03:39:33  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those without devices capable of getting this yet, this first issue includes, after an introduction and letter from the editor:
1. An article related to the Elemental Evil storyline (2-3 sentence info on each elemental cult; pictures and basic info on the prophets; some stuff plugging the various games, books, MMORPG; the name and picture of 4 weapons, and art for each node). About 1/3-1/2 the words are used plugging the various Elemental Evil products.

2. An ad for Sword Coasts Legends with a pre-order link and an image.

3. Travel Talk, an article where a character (Melisande Calador) talks about the Dessarin river valley, specifically the Sumber Hills and the areas that are important to the Elemental Evil storyline. There are some things in there that made me nostalgic for the Volo Guides but obviously much less in depth as there is very little space and an Elemental Evil adventure to tie into.

4. An article about Goliaths. I never was big on this race from the 3e days so I don't know if it's all mostly cut and paste or original, but they've got some interesting quirks. Includes a link to the free Player's Companion pdf for Elemental Evil, Goliath images, and a Goliath wizard character sheet made by the writer of the article.

5. An interview about the Sword Coast Legends game.

6. Videos I didn't watch, Dungeon Masters support group (3 episodes), and Aquisition Inc podcast and youtube links

7. Factions article. Starts with 2-3 sentences explaining each faction, a sidebar all about the adventurers league and how factions work there, and paragraphs explaining why each faction would be involved in fighting against the Elemental Evil cults, how each group would deal with this threat, and the last bit talks about factions in the MMORPG, Board Game, and tabletop game.

8. An ad for Neverwinter Elemental Evil with a picture of minsc and boo.

9. An article about Black Dragons, including a link to purchase the monster manual, and stats for a black dragon in the board game (with link), Princes of the apocalypse (with link), and MMORPG (with link), plus links to the Rise of Tiamat and Hoard of the Dragon Queen books. Written from an in character perspective with ways to deal with dragons in game.

10. Elemental trinkets, 10 submitted knick knacks having to do with the elements.

11. Ad for Val and Beholder Vinyl Figure

12. Interview with the Neverwinter MMO executive producer

13. Ad for Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf R.A. Salvatore book

14. "Ye old magical emporium" or, a full article with links to D&D products

15. Ad for the Fantasy Grounds 5e Virtual Tabletop

16. Scott Kurtz comic, Gauntlet Gophers

17. Icewind Dale EE ad

18. Article about the original Temple of Elemental Evil module, with link, anecdotes, and images

19 and 20. Next issue preview and credits, next issue includes Ed Greenwood talking about Spellstorm and lots of video game related stuff apparently.

All in all, they are hard core into the multiple platform thing and the Princes of the Apocalypse storyline. Everything is tied into it, with Board Games, the MMO, Sword Coast Legends, and the tabletop game all talked about in nearly every article. Aside from the "magazine" the app also includes a latest news feed for recent news and articles. I didn't find a lot of deep lore to sink my teeth into, but I didn't really expect that. Still, it is free, so even if the ads and constant product tie ins are a little much, I'm happy to have something coming out from them.

Edited by - idilippy on 01 May 2015 03:40:32
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  04:19:56  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still not seeing any wisdom in using a multi-platform approach to the Realms. Might be fine for other settings, but it's going to generate bad blood among Realms fans. But good luck to them with it, and I hope everyone enjoys the lore they can get.

Also, thanks for the summary idilippy!

And thanks Delwa, the Sage Advice link suggests that they're at least thinking about making an HTML version for the website. My negativity about it will vanish if/when they make that happen.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 01 May 2015 04:26:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  06:06:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh... I hate how everyone has to do an iOS app first, and then -- if they ever get to it -- an Android app later.

I get that iPhones are the more stylish devices, but they're also the smaller portion of the market. Ignoring or delaying Android versions of apps is just silly.

(And I'm someone who had two iPhones and an iPod, but am now Android all the way)

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  06:39:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'd be nice to see who is writing each piece of writing, such as for the Travel Talk article.

I really liked how in that article they give a visual of each town or fortress that is talked about, and they highlight that location on the map. Good stuff.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  08:33:57  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sigh... I hate how everyone has to do an iOS app first, and then -- if they ever get to it -- an Android app later.

I get that iPhones are the more stylish devices, but they're also the smaller portion of the market. Ignoring or delaying Android versions of apps is just silly.

Why wouldn't one go for the hairiest and the easiest to shear sheeple first?
And there's a trend toward Apple fandom being exactly that.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  12:39:05  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

Why wouldn't one go for the hairiest and the easiest to shear sheeple first?
And there's a trend toward Apple fandom being exactly that.

As a freshly-shorn sheep (recently got an Apple Watch Sport....), I would take exception to that, if I could stop shivering.......

I think it's more a case of, "follow the money". Android has the market share in terms of handhelds sold, but iOS is way ahead in terms of app revenue per user. Hence, it's the priority for app developers.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2015 :  12:42:36  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay, now let's hope the Android (aka supreme) version arrives SOON.
Go to Top of Page

Xnella Moonblade-Thann
Learned Scribe

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  03:47:13  Show Profile Send Xnella Moonblade-Thann a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(And I'm someone who had two iPhones and an iPod, but am now Android all the way)

I have an older generation iPod (3 games that are a pain to play, an alarm that surprisingly works without a speaker/headphones plugged in, and a section for notes but cannot write notes...), but ever since I got my Android phone over 2 years ago, I haven't touched my iPod except as a backup storage device for my music--what part of my music collection fits on an 8 GB iPod anyways--and I use my phone as my iPod/mp3 player (unless I am connected to wifi and can stream music...). My iPod is basically a flash drive.

So like Wooly, I am also hating how iPhones/iPods/Apple products in general usually get apps/app updates first, then the Android devices are given their turn (if at all sometimes). Why can't they go with releasing the app for BOTH PLATFORMS AT THE SAME TIME (gasp!) instead of focusing on one first, then the other...otherwise it alienates players and Realms lovers. C'mon WotC, you should know better by now...

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet." - traditional elven farewell

Please forgive any spelling and grammer errors, as my android touch-screen phone has no spellchecker. If I do make a grammer mistake, please let me know and I'll try to fix it.

New laptop, still trying to sort my "scrolls" on its shelves...and when will this cursed thing stop doing things I tell it not to?
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2015 :  04:48:39  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

Yay, now let's hope the Android (aka supreme) version arrives SOON.

It looks like an Android app is going to happen sooner rather than later. They admit as much when they say they are testing it in house already.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  02:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Android app just released today.
I downloaded it to my phone, and it's not bad, but it could be better. By better, I mean there could be more content. I loved the Travel Talk article. It gives a nice, in-world perspective on the Dessarin Valley. I've not sat down and read the rest of the articles yet, but I'll get to it eventually. By eventually, I mean Sage time.
I only wish there were a print option. If there is one, I wasn't able to find it.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  08:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yay!
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  08:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
mmm. I can't find it. Is this another US only thing perhaps?
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  08:34:58  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nevermind, found it :)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  20:15:34  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats really annoying about this multi platform approach, none of it is on any platform that I can use.

I cant afford MMOs (time or money) - plus my computer is really old and mmo's annoy the bejeezus out of me because of the never ending, time wasting grind.

I cant afford an iphone so can't access their apps.

I can't afford a new android phone and my existing one is so old I fear if I download another app it might explode.

What happened to making stuff available on a website where it is easily accessed without making me read one piece of information on one app, read another piece of info in a hardback book, another piece in a pdf, another in a computer game. It must be exhausting and time consuming trying to find out anything about the new realms.

I'm so glad I don't really want to. The multi-platform approach seems designed to exclude me because I'm poor and like things to be easy to do and all in one place or format.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  20:20:56  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I feel your pain. On the plus side, if you bought the adventure, you have all the stuff they released lore wise. The Dragon+ app says the same thing, but instead of reading the lore from the persepctive of "here's the state of things in the Dessarin Valley, Mr. DM" in an adventure, the Dragon+ article says, "let's take a quick trip through the Dessarin Valley," travel guide style.
Putting all of the various sources together does give you the same thing from multiple points of view, but when you strip away the presentation method, the lore is the same for all the platforms.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  21:03:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wish I could save stuff from the app to something else... Like copying the content to a Word file.

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  21:05:14  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new business model assumes that people have access to a tablet/smartphone, not a desktop/laptop. WotC is clearly implying that this is the future of D&D. While I don't think they are wrong, I do think the new approach is alienating older players.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  21:14:17  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wish I could save stuff from the app to something else... Like copying the content to a Word file.

I wish you could as well, then I wish you could email me a copy so I could read what is going on and steal stuff for the good old days of 1371 DR.

Oh and less of the "older" Rymac, I am only 34, even though I feel like i'm 84.

I could probably get the hang of apps and multi platform stuff quite easy but like most people in the world I get stuffed royally by the rich people in charge who seem to think that money solves everything and so they keep it all for themselves.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  21:21:42  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They have said via Twitter that they might make the content available in pdf or via the website in the future. For now, I'm just taking screenshots with my phone and eventually I'll get around to transcribing them to text.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  21:41:58  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Oh and less of the "older" Rymac, I am only 34, even though I feel like i'm 84.

I could probably get the hang of apps and multi platform stuff quite easy but like most people in the world I get stuffed royally by the rich people in charge who seem to think that money solves everything and so they keep it all for themselves.

I'm not older than dirt yet. Well, some of the dirt. Whether its the multi-platform approach, or my concerns about 5e (beyond the core books, which are great and a breath of fresh air) I feel I'm becoming the old fart I used to make fun of as a young kid. I have to accept the fact I'm not among the target demographic WotC is marketing.

1e, 2e, and 3e (especially 3e, with the OGL) spoiled us as players/DMs. The business model is changing if D&D is to thrive.

Edited by - Rymac on 06 May 2015 21:43:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  22:44:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They have said via Twitter that they might make the content available in pdf or via the website in the future. For now, I'm just taking screenshots with my phone and eventually I'll get around to transcribing them to text.

I was just playing with it, and kinda sorta did an export of the text... But it's ugly. It includes the coding and the formatting is not there, so it's not very useful.

On my Android, I flagged the Travel Talk as a favorite, within the app. Then I searched, using ES File Explorer, and found the folder for the app. I copied the file under Favourites to my computer, renamed it as a .html file, and opened it. It works, but not nearly as well as them simply making a downloadable pdf would.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  23:31:43  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I was just playing with it, and kinda sorta did an export of the text... But it's ugly. It includes the coding and the formatting is not there, so it's not very useful.

On my Android, I flagged the Travel Talk as a favorite, within the app. Then I searched, using ES File Explorer, and found the folder for the app. I copied the file under Favourites to my computer, renamed it as a .html file, and opened it. It works, but not nearly as well as them simply making a downloadable pdf would.

That's better than typing the whole thing. Thanks, Wooly!

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2015 :  00:07:28  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whether for Android or iOS, there are "export to pdf" apps that would make a clean pdf for viewing/printing. The trick is finding those apps that are free if you don't want to pay for them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000