Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Whatever happened to the Red Wizards?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  07:40:49  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, as you might guess by my username, I've a fondness for all thing Thay. So I'm curious about just what we know has happened to everyone's favourite band of politicks loving, over-ambitious guys in crimson. (Other than the Brotherhood of the Scarlet Scourge. )

Last I heard, as of 4E Realms, we had the Zulkir Civil War, and Sazz(y) Tam victorious. The rebels were pretty much a spent force, the last Zulkirs going down to stop Tam's attempt at godhood, and everyone else running away. We also had the enclaves outside Thay basically becoming a bunch of independent organizations: with no homeland there was no central organization to bind them together, right?

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that much is accurate, as of the 4E FRCS. My main point of curiosity is how much we got after that. Do we know how far the Enclaves spread before the end/how many endured? What sort of interaction has Tam had with the remnants of the Order, beyond the ones still in Thay? Anything interesting happening with the red robes lately?

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  10:20:13  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The enclave in Mulmaster still exists. We've had no official word on the others but I would assume that since the Spellplague and Tam's takeover, any enclave that wasn't shut down is being run by red wizards who aren't friendly with the regime.

The most interesting thing to happen recently was a second rebellion calling itself the Thayan Resurrection. They want to depose Tam and bring back the old zulkirs, thereby ending the 'necrocracy'. Several of the more recent campaigns deal with them. The Thayan Resurrection certainly aren't good guys though and some of them have proven that, given the chance, they might be worse for the world than Tam.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  14:02:56  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*nods* IIRC, Priador's Enclave got a write up in Dragon magazine. Or am I misremembering, and that was Mulmaster?

The Resurrection are interesting to me; thank you for bringing that up. I read the stuff on them on Tyranny of the Dragons' website, need to take a gander at the adventures sometime. I don't think there's going to be a firm source on this (should probably have moved it to general discussion) but I'm curious how much news of back home reached the enclaves, and if Tam ever tried to talk them into returning to Thay. I don't think he ever did canonically, but that remains a lot of Red Wizards spread out across the Realms. Seems like a position the old Lich'd try to exploit if he could think of a plan to do so.

Which is something that interests me,especially when you consider the timegap. We've had generations of Thayans brought up outside Thay. Seems... like good PC background material. IMO at least.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  15:11:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Last Zulkir

Which is something that interests me,especially when you consider the timegap. We've had generations of Thayans brought up outside Thay. Seems... like good PC background material. IMO at least.

You could probably create a great adventure around this idea.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2015 :  15:45:17  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Artemas Entreri
You could probably create a great adventure around this idea.

Yeah, you probably could. Though I'm not sure on it: without investment it'd be a little hard to work the PCs into the action. Best to run it either after having established an enclave as supporting NPCs, or if you had a Red Wizard PC to deal with. Still if you got them into the action, there's some fun politicking there.

Hell, examining the Enclaves in general seems fun. They're originally embassies but over this amount of time, I figure they've basically become more ethnic communities for Thayans. Wonder how much authority the old leaders of the Enclave retained...
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  00:28:50  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A little off-topic because it's old news but in the Legacy of the Green Regent campaign, it states that Loudwater boasts the very first Enclave known as the Ivy Enclave.

It was opened before Thayan Enclaves became a 'thing' because one of the Calishite Rensha family who ruled Loudwater from 1150 DR to 1317 DR was married to a thayan noble through a treaty.

After Nanathlor Greysword defeated the Renshas, he allowed the Enclave to remain on the condition that no slavery went on.

Just thought I'd mention it since you said examining enclaves was fun.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Last Zulkir
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2015 :  11:49:05  Show Profile Send The Last Zulkir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooooh... thanks for that! I wasn't aware of any enclaves apart from Proskur's getting real write ups, that's given me something to seek out. Either for adventure detail or potential PC background.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000