Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What brings back More Tears of Nostalgia?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2015 :  17:21:44  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know it's not the theme of posts so far, but how about smells?

They hit without warning and set of a film in my head. Good ones (old carpets and coffee - my grandparents' house; random stuff like aniseed (the tea I got when I was sick). The smell of watered down cocoa in huge cans, and buns with marmelade, that filled the hall during breakfast time in the youth hostels where I spent summer camps. The church smells -Catholic, if you must know... every catholic knows what I am talking about. The smell of my childhood library (old wood, sandstone flagstones, too much sun for the books, and the book smell...) and so on and so on. Bad ones too, like people with alcohol on their breath, or desinfactant, or hospitals, or the sting of mould in cellars or appartments, ...)

Or random little sounds. Like swallows chirping, or like a bike sounds when it has those clicking pearls on the spokes like we put them on our bikes when we were kids.

Random stuff. My first walkman (a garishly yellow sony). Hearing a song with the DJ talking in the middle in my mind - like he did on my tape all those years ago, even if spotify hasn't got that interruption, and tape and probably even DJ are long gone. Trying to remember how that odd slime felt that was sold in buckets in the 80ties and that all my friends got, but not me, and then I was allowed to dunk my hand into my friend's bucket. (80ties childhoods could be weird!) Those glow toys that aren't sold anymore, and how I stared mine down every evening for days after I got it.
I always think nostalgia is longing for the banal things of your past. People even get nostalgic after things they didn't like especially much back then. Insignificant stuff. I think it's a form of gaining control of the past; it can't harm us anymore, and we can modell it to a degree, and this is how we get comfortable with a part of our past.

Otherwise, I was too old when video games became available to me, so I'm not yet nostalgic for them, especially since the legacy of Baldur's Gate lives on into the present... ;) So... more books. AND TV series! Not movies, TV series - the way they aged, the musical themes, etc pp...
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2015 :  19:35:53  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The final book in King's Dark Tower cycle, The Dark Tower really got me teary. Especially the segments "In This Haze of Green and Gold" and "The White Lands of Empathica." In the Malazan series, Beak, Harlow's story, Cutter and Challice, in Toll the Hounds. In Dust of Dreams, the Snake and the hobbling. The Crippled God: Tavore, Karsa and Munung.

I get nostalgic for the Paths of Darkness block of Salvatore novels. I was reading those during my semesters of organic chemistry...those were some of my favorite undergrad semesters.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Edited by - Entromancer on 06 May 2015 19:37:17
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000