Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dragon family tree.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  04:34:30  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I came across this on Reddit today. I thought some of you might enjoy it.

http://imgur.com/5BUePnn

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  05:24:33  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesing, and love the fact that Gold Dragons are part Lung Dragons, seeing how in 1E and 2E, they loooked like them.

Although it's interesting that Dragotha(a Draco-lich, that originaly was a Red Dragon) is so early in the Family Tree. Maybe the myth from the Book of the World(found in the original Draconomicon), that all other Chromatics, and even Metallic Dragons, come from Red Dragons, holds some truth after all...

[EDIT]

Also, another point in the family tree, that speaks for the theory from the Book of the World that Red Dragons were the original true dragons, is the fact that Red Hawk Dragons, branch out of the true dragon branch really early on, even before the split between Chromatic, and Metalic Dragons.

Although it's interestig that Gem Dragons are so distantly related to Metalics and Chromatics...

Edited by - Baltas on 13 Apr 2015 09:06:41
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  14:30:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty cool.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  16:48:06  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A more comprehsive list than the Realms-based one in the 2E Draconomicon, but it differs in some details.

I suspect a lot of the exotic hybrid breeds cannot be placed very accurately on this diagram. Dragons can travel around a lot and easily access distant lands, worlds, planes. And they can seemingly interbreed with few restrictions, aside from those imposed by intelligence, temperament, and alignment. I would expect a lot of differentiated dragon species which share an unusual draconic outlook - a biological disinclination towards accumulating territory and hoarded treasure.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  17:21:02  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for sharing! This needs to be a poster, if it isn't already.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2015 :  23:12:08  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, here's the link to the Reddit thread. There's a couple of discussions about it.

http://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/32byjz/the_official_wotc_5e_dragon_family_tree_lets_get/
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2015 :  14:52:14  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, combining some information from this chart, with the classic Draconomicon, one can think that Ignidraco(the common ancestor of both Metallic and Chromatic Dragons), was indeed a Red Dragon, or very similar to one, seeing how Red Hawk Dragons aparently branched out of the "Ignidraco"(common ancestor of Matalics and Chromatics) of this chart, and Dragotha was aparently a member of Ignidraco/"common ancestor of both Metallic and Chromatic Dragons" species, before becoming a Dracolich(possibly the very first Dracolich?)

And I also noticed that the 2E Draconomicon, also suggested a connection of Gold Dragons to Oriental/Lung Dragons, as the scienticic name for Gold Dragon in Draconomicon was D. orientalus sino dux.
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2015 :  15:00:59  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is Space dragons in 5E? Are they out in the vacuum of space, or is it just a fancy name? And stellar? like in "interstellar" (spelljammer?)
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2015 :  15:51:18  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I got it right, Moon, Sun, and Stellar Dragons are indeed all from Spelljammer.

Edited by - Baltas on 16 Apr 2015 19:37:22
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2015 :  16:26:49  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, weren't Wyverns created by Aearee?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

AuldDragon
Senior Scribe

USA
549 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  06:01:21  Show Profile  Visit AuldDragon's Homepage Send AuldDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are definitely some questionable connections there, IMO. For example, Astral Dragons are the root stock of all Krynnish dragons according to the Dragonlance Monstrous Compendium Entry. Mystaran gem dragons are unrelated to standard gem dragons, while Mystaran elemental drakes are not closely related to other Mystaran drakes, with the latter being fairykind. Mithril, Electrum, Mercury, and Steel dragons are not true metallic dragons (only one breath weapon), so they should be shown branching off earlier, and Greyhawk dragons are an offshoot of Steels. Spelljamming dragons are not likely to be very closely related; Stellar dragons have a very different body form than the others, while sun, moon, and radiant dragons follow standard body plans, and probably more closely related to standard terrestrial dragons than stellar dragons.

While it's a really cool image, I get the feeling that the artist didn't actually research all the dragon types before putting them into the chart.

Jeff

My 2nd Edition blog: http://blog.aulddragon.com/
My streamed AD&D Spelljamer sessions: https://www.youtube.com/user/aulddragon/playlists?flow=grid&shelf_id=18&view=50
"That sums it up in a nutshell, AuldDragon. You make a more convincing argument. But he's right and you're not."
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2015 :  11:15:13  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think one could argue that the inconsistencies, could be explained by the various dragon species crossbreading with eachother. After all, Gold Dragons are described here as in part Lung Dragons. A family tree describing ALL crossbreeding, and conneting all crossbreeded species by lines, would be probably much more complex.
Krynnish Dragons, could be have indeed evolved from Astral Dragons, and became similar to Metallic and Chromatic Dragons, through convergent evolution.
Another possibility, it that this chart is just meant to be an interepretation by a sage, not some ultimate truth.

Edited by - Baltas on 18 Apr 2015 11:47:01
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2015 :  02:28:21  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rules in the olde Draconomicon existed for dragon crossbreeds born of different parent species. But these invariably ended being a sort of hybrid, possessing some mixture or balance of their parent traits. A "purple" dragon born from red and blue parents would have a sort of burning high-voltage breath weapon, partial immunity to fire and electricity, etc. Many published dragon species are like this, even if their "colour" is not immediately traceable. But many others are substantially different, having entirely unrelated breath weapons and abilities. I think this might be used to to more accurately determine the interrelationships between draconic "species".

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000