Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Pony Island Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  05:31:24  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
"Because this time, I'm writing it my way..."

http://officeedgreenwood.com/pia/

If you haven't been to the new Edverse site, you'll notice that it's back up and that Ed is now working on something codenames: Pony Island Adventures. It's a new fantasy world he's creating along with some of his "old friends who like to write fantasy." He says it's not a Realms clone per se, but that it is very much old school sword and sorcery. He also says in his teaser, "this time I'm writing it my way.."

Now first of all to Ed I say good show for you, because now you can finally get away from those bean counters and write a fantasy setting the way you want to do it and keep it pure.

But I have to wonder what this means for the Realms. The continued silence from WOTC is deafening, and the replies back from the FR writers (or former writers as the case may be) are cloaked with suspicious undertones that continue to worry me that the "Ed's Realms" that was supposed to be restored will be anything but.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  06:00:52  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the brand director at WotC has stated that the Realms is where WotC will be setting its stories for "the foreseeable future," and Ed has always had a hand in several projects at the same time, so from where I am sitting it's business as usual for Ed and the Realms.

Looking forward to what's in store.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  07:25:10  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Well, the brand director at WotC has stated that the Realms is where WotC will be setting its stories for "the foreseeable future," and Ed has always had a hand in several projects at the same time, so from where I am sitting it's business as usual for Ed and the Realms.

That makes me feel better for sure. I hope we can all have our cake and eat it too. So far WOTC's done that as far as D&D the game for me with 5e, so I'm hoping the same will be done with a FRCS.

Jesus said, "I am the Ressurection and the Life. Anyone who believes in Me will live even if he dies, and those who live and believe in Me will never die. Do you believe this?"
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  09:03:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms is where all the organized play adventures will be set. Other than that, we've heard nothing.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  13:47:14  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed himself has stated on Edverse that he's already working on the FR novel that's going to be released after Spellstorm.

As for WotC, looks like barebones release schedule is to be continued in the foreseeable future.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 07 Mar 2015 13:47:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  15:00:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. From what I can tell, Ed's version of free time is to only have 3 simultaneous writing projects.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2015 :  23:57:12  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In his presentation of the FR secretariat, Ed mentions this:

'' Wizards of the Coast will be presenting you with new products of their own and licensed products—computer games, perhaps television and movies, certainly more novels. Of course, new adventures and tournament Organized Play adventures.''

Ed even presents a movie as something possible, and yet says nothing about sourcebooks of any kind, or about a Campaign Setting. Unless there's something secret that he just can't talk about (and if it were the case, I guess that he would have said that a surprise or something was in the works), my gut feeling is that WotC will just be using the FR for novels and as a light background for their adventures and some non-D&D material

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 07 Mar 2015 23:58:34
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  03:29:28  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

'' Wizards of the Coast will be presenting you with new products of their own and licensed products—computer games, perhaps television and movies, certainly more novels. Of course, new adventures and tournament Organized Play adventures.''

Ed even presents a movie as something possible, and yet says nothing about sourcebooks of any kind, or about a Campaign Setting. Unless there's something secret that he just can't talk about (and if it were the case, I guess that he would have said that a surprise or something was in the works), my gut feeling is that WotC will just be using the FR for novels and as a light background for their adventures and some non-D&D material

At this point, I wouldn't mind if they never published a FRCS, I just want to know one way or another. If they are gonna make one, I am willing to wait a bit for it to come out. If they aren't, I want to start working on a homebrew Realms. In or out, that's all I want to know.

TBH, I can see it going in the direction you are predicting. Publishing adventures seems to be the main goal right now, and things we'd normally see in a CG are being published in small PDFs (like the Eberron classes and the upcoming Gensai class for Elemental Evil).

In addition to this, they are constantly directing people who want more detailed lore to go to their D&D Classics site and download old guidebooks. Something tells me they would not want to do that if they are close to publishing some huge CG they want everyone to buy.

Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  03:52:33  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

quote:

At this point, I wouldn't mind if they never published a FRCS, I just want to know one way or another. If they are gonna make one, I am willing to wait a bit for it to come out. If they aren't, I want to start working on a homebrew Realms. In or out, that's all I want to know.

TBH, I can see it going in the direction you are predicting. Publishing adventures seems to be the main goal right now, and things we'd normally see in a CG are being published in small PDFs (like the Eberron classes and the upcoming Gensai class for Elemental Evil).

In addition to this, they are constantly directing people who want more detailed lore to go to their D&D Classics site and download old guidebooks. Something tells me they would not want to do that if they are close to publishing some huge CG they want everyone to buy.

Those UA PDFs are purely crunch, no lore. They may not publish a FRCS, but I still want to know how the post-Sundering FR look like and I still want to see the setting developed and cared for (those adventures provide very little about the Realms, they use it as a vague background and that's it. Besides, adding a series of ''save the world from the apocalypse'' events happening one after another -and mostly set in the same area, at that- hardly is developing the setting -IMO, ofc-). If my prediction is accurate, then the direction the Realms are heading is a sad one.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  05:09:25  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Baptor

quote:

Those UA PDFs are purely crunch, no lore. They may not publish a FRCS, but I still want to know how the post-Sundering FR look like and I still want to see the setting developed and cared for (those adventures provide very little about the Realms, they use it as a vague background and that's it. Besides, adding a series of ''save the world from the apocalypse'' events happening one after another -and mostly set in the same area, at that- hardly is developing the setting -IMO, ofc-). If my prediction is accurate, then the direction the Realms are heading is a sad one.

Oh I realize those are all crunch. What I meant was that in the past, setting-specific classes/races/feats were always published in the Campaign Guide. The fact they are publishing them in stand-alone PDFs gives credibility to the theory they won't make a CG.

I'm with you, I want to know, specifically, what happened after the Sundering. I want a map of the regenerated Realms at the least, and a book going over the state-of-the-realms if I can get it.

But if they don't, and it becomes just some kind of hack setting, so be it. I won't be happy with that, but at least I can sit back with an old map and create MY version of the post-Sundering Realms.

I just want to know which it will be, rather than hurry up and wait.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  06:02:40  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The new crunch in the Unearthed Arcana articles are advertised as a work in progress. It appears WotC is asking for feedback on It.

If Realms material appears there, I would expect it to find its way into an future Realms product.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Baptor
Seeker

USA
93 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  06:21:52  Show Profile  Visit Baptor's Homepage Send Baptor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The new crunch in the Unearthed Arcana articles are advertised as a work in progress. It appears WotC is asking for feedback on It.

If Realms material appears there, I would expect it to find its way into an future Realms product.

You could be right of course. I hope you are. But realize it's not any one thing (UA articles, Ed's comments, WOTC's silence, etc) that makes some of us concerned. Any one piece of circumstantial evidence could of course easily be dismissed. It's all the pieces coming together that paint a discouraging picture.

I want to believe the best, but everytime I turn around it seems like something new and discouraging happens.

The one thing that keeps me hopeful is that, IMO, a FRCS would bring in a lot of cash. I don't know of many Realms fans who are totally disinterested in a new FRCS (though there are a few). People will buy it. So to me it seems like a worthy investment, but I could be wrong.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000