Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Avariel (and) Bladesingers
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2015 :  22:51:29  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

So he supposedly showed up in Lyrabar after leaving his tribe? Or it is possible that he came from a more distant place? I wonder if his tribe was nearby Lyrabar when he left them...

Not to be disparaging to RLB, but he kind of gravitates to the "exotic" in his character portfolio. You know, half-golems and the like. Whilst a magical place, the Realms isn't about avariel walking down the street and waving at the passers by.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2015 :  00:12:44  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Random personal anecdote: I've never played a human past level 26 in WoW. This, in spite of being one of those "pathetic losers" who played 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, for 5 or 6 years. I also tended to play female characters, and not for any lewd reasons. (Frankly, WoW's graphics aren't up to the task of being lewd.) It's because when I'm spending a lot of time with the same character in the center of my screen, I want something at least a little bit exotic to look at.

I think it's the same for writers. At least it is for me. There needs to be something unusual about the character, or I'm never going to get past page 1. So (for me) either the character needs to have a skin I don't live/play in every day, or else I need to go into some depth in character exploration... and the minor characters are likely to be nonhumans because that depth isn't justified for them.

Not all authors want to go deep with all (or any) of their characters. Just my 2 cents.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  17:00:28  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir
(...)
It also says from which region are the giants who hunt them for using their feathers in their helmets - although I think avariel wings would be too big for a D&D giant's helm.
(...)

I was wondering about it myself, and maybe some giants could be enemies of avariel since the Dawn Ages... Besides, there are rumors of winged elves associated with some good giants (see Elminster Ecologies), maybe they could also have inherited common enemies. What do you think?

EDIT: These "rumors" are actually the mentions to the Cloudlands of Avaeraether, in the "Stonelands and Goblin Marches" section. There, winged elves supposedly lived with giants and dragons, among other creatures.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 20 Mar 2015 17:15:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly