Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf. Spoilers!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  05:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Got this book Sunday. It is officially its release date where I am at. I won't post any Spoilers yet unless asked. But it is a great book and leaves you eagerly awaiting Archmage later this year.

MonsterEnvy
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  08:42:45  Show Profile Send MonsterEnvy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My one issue is that it appears that the Kingdom of Many Arrows will no longer exist. Despite Lorgu taking the throne back.

Just a D&D fan
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  09:51:28  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, but considering most ofthe Orcs and others were fully behind the Warlord and his ambitions. Whatever kingdom that was left would just amount to a tribe. Hardly a ruling force.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  14:51:46  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So. Am I the only one who thinks Gromph's newest daughter Yvonnel is in fact the Yvonnel of old reborn into a new body? It's either that, or the child's sessions with Methil will mold her into that capacity?
Go to Top of Page

Mothor
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  20:02:05  Show Profile Send Mothor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, is Dahlia saved from her predicament or was it left for the next novel/s?

And what about Tiago?

Kinda curious how RAS handled those plot points. Each novel seemed to introduce more questions than answers so I wonder how it was all handled when compared to Two Swords for example...
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  21:14:00  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dhalia,no. Tiago got embarrassed and beaten,but still alive and ready for the next book.
Go to Top of Page

MonsterEnvy
Acolyte

Canada
14 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  21:34:25  Show Profile Send MonsterEnvy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Yeah, but considering most ofthe Orcs and others were fully behind the Warlord and his ambitions. Whatever kingdom that was left would just amount to a tribe. Hardly a ruling force.

I think it was pointed out that there were more Orcs back at the north area then the army Hartusk brought forth. So there would still be a Kingdom left.

Many Arrows I supposed could be brought back by Lorgu. It would just have much less territory.

Just a D&D fan
Go to Top of Page

Mothor
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  21:55:20  Show Profile Send Mothor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Drizztsmanchild

Dhalia,no. Tiago got embarrassed and beaten,but still alive and ready for the next book.

Oh nice, was he defeated by Arty or was it Drizzt this time? In fact did Entreri appear in this book at all?

Good that he did not die as RAS tended to kill his villains way to fast in the past. Though Tiago is so annoying a lesson in humility may make him more tolerable LOL.

Also is it hinted that the Archmage from the next book is going to be Gromph which could imply a bigger role for him?
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2015 :  23:06:12  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Entreri only gets a mention. Effron also walked off the map for now. I was a bit sad. I wonder if the three of them are going to get their stories continued come September.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2015 :  04:28:03  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's up with Kimmuriel in this book? Does he play a decent role or is he in the background? Jarlaxle and Kimmuriel are far more interesting to me than the Companions (except new Regis I like)
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2015 :  05:40:58  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

What's up with Kimmuriel in this book? Does he play a decent role or is he in the background? Jarlaxle and Kimmuriel are far more interesting to me than the Companions (except new Regis I like)

Kimmuriel has a decent supporting role, about as much as he ever has in a novel. He'll be very important in the next book. Hopefully Valas Hune will make an appearance. There is an interesting cat could use more screen time.
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2015 :  13:34:14  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone help me with the timelines here a bit? From what I've gathered from the very helpful timeline provided in another thread here in these forums, "The Rise of the King" starts with the Darkening just having occured. At the end of "The Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf", it says that it ended after "months". What's the overall timeline?
Something I want to specifically know, has Entreri spent months in the underdark now? and since it's may a) be a hint as to how much time has poassed, and b) the character grew on me in particular, does that mean Beniago took Effron off the road to the south months ago, and despite being promised news of him, Afafrenfere and Ambergris, who he was heading for and who'd been promised news of him, don't wonder where he's staying?

Or has the overall action in and around the wars and the darkening taken months, but there were only very busy weeks inbetween the Companions leavin Port Llast and the end of this novel?

Go to Top of Page

Bandyman1
Acolyte

3 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2015 :  06:38:48  Show Profile Send Bandyman1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed it, and I'm looking forward to Archmage.

IMHO the ending felt a little rushed, but I *think* Bob needed to do it that way for a quick wrap-up to get on with the assault of Q'Xorlarrin. Because honestly; If we have Gromph's plotting and the inevitable politics between Baenre and the rest of the drow houses ( including Do'Urden )in Menzo, Artemis's return ( and let's face it; They are going to Q'Xorlarrin ), the dwarven march to reclaim Gauntlgrym, not to mention both groups of Drizzt's companions, all in the next book, I'm just not seeing how Bob could have squeezed more of the battle for the Silver Martches in.

While I'm at it, might as well say that I enjoyed the addition of Aleina as a minor character in the last two novels. I think she makes a perfect match for Wulfgar. I know Bob has Wulfgar on a wine, women, and song binge ATM, but I wouldn't mind seeing him develop more than a casual relationship with her, and her develop a bigger role TBH.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2015 :  20:09:04  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just finished the book, and was going to start my own thread, but I saw this one.

It was a decent read, and I finished it fairly quickly. I was a bit miffed by the ending, but I'm curious to see Gromph's next move. I was a bit saddened by Tos'un's death--I had hopes for him, that he would turn around for the better, but alas, that wasn't to be. Jarlaxle was a sly one as always, and I love reading about him.

I have more to say about the book, but I'll see where this thread goes, first.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

_Midnight_
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  09:02:04  Show Profile  Visit _Midnight_'s Homepage Send _Midnight_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had a soft spot for Tos'un and the tragedy that befell his surface family...I was hoping he would come to realize how badly he'd mismanaged the situation and turn back around. I had visions of him betraying the dragon he was riding and trying to get Doum'weille far away from the area....
Go to Top of Page

eeorey
Seeker

Bulgaria
96 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  13:45:03  Show Profile Send eeorey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I on the other hand do not feel sorry for him at all, he... scratch that, EVERYONE knew the sword was evil. So what did they do? They decided to keep it.
Doum'weille being so young I can see how it can be said that it wasn't her fault, hell I really felt bad for her at times whilst I read the book, but all the other characters knew how much trouble the damned sword was for over a century.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  16:25:14  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I wouldn't say Tos' un mastered the sword, I got the impression he could handle it. But I don't understand why he gave it to his daughter. I agree that was foolish, nor do I really understand his motivation for returning to the Underdark. While no Drizzt, I hadn't considered him an "evil drow". And if it was the sword's influence, then why did it happen so suddenly? He lived for years among the elves without the sword directing his life.

I was disappointed in the outcome.

Go to Top of Page

rapunzel77
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2015 :  17:35:42  Show Profile Send rapunzel77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sword started to reject To'sun when he was injured during a small skirmish with the orcs. From that point on, the sword urged To'sun to pass it to one of his children and so the contest was made. Honestly, To'sun was always a coward and the sword did control him. He had a weak will. I was also a bit stunned by his death. It's very tragic :(. There may or may not be hope for Doum'weille but if she continues to be addicted to the sword, her demise will come soon, especially since she's hanging out snot nosed brat Tiago. As for as the book, I LOVED it and am looking forward to the Archmage. Hmm, what is Gromph up to?
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  04:53:13  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding the sword Khazid'hea/Cutter, I think it refers back to one of RAS's favorite themes. Sentient weapons in general (and most especially artifacts) are best avoided. Tos'un thought he controlled Cutter, but it ended up leading to deaths of him and his son (I think they mentioned that his wife is actually still alive).

Jarlaxle thought he controlled the Crystal Shard, and it ended up nearly destroyed Bregan Daerthe and getting him killed. Artemis thought he controlled Charon's Claw, and ended up in slavery to the Shadovar for several decades, held completely under the sword's power.

I will also note that RAS is a huge Lord of the Rings fan, so that may be the reason all sentient weapons in his book end up being a curse like the One Ring.
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  10:05:44  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Tos'un's wife's all over the book, it's Sinnafein!
Go to Top of Page

ZeshinX
Learned Scribe

Canada
210 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  16:24:31  Show Profile  Visit ZeshinX's Homepage Send ZeshinX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found it a very enjoyable read, though I feel it's very much RAS repeating himself. This is all remarkably like Siege of Darkness and the setup at the end practically screams Icewind Dale Trilogy.

That said, I keep reading because I enjoy the books very much.

"...because despite the best advice of those who know what they are talking about, other people insist on doing the most massively stupid things."
-Galen, technomage
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  20:18:09  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: Is Entreri's vampiric dagger mentioned at any point in this book? Did I miss it?

Because the last time it's been mentioned to my knowledge is when, in "Rise of the King" the Companions pause in Port Llast in that inn, as lying under some lever near where Regis sits. Entreri left it there when he and the others were taken by Tiago's henchmen. And then?

The reason I ask is that in his recent reddit Q&A, RA Salvatore is asked that by someone and replies "Port Llast to Luskan...Beniago... No more hints!"

Is this going to be explained in "The Archmage" then or did I miss something in both/ either "Rise of the King" or "Vengeance of the Iron Dwarf"?

(If it gets explained in "The Archmage", would that mean at Entreri getting his dagger back from Beniago?)

Sorry if this is digressing in some form from the actual issue of the thread too much.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  20:19:57  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless I completely missed something, too, it was not mentioned

Go to Top of Page

_Midnight_
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2015 :  22:50:14  Show Profile  Visit _Midnight_'s Homepage Send _Midnight_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not see any mention of it in Vengeance...I really need to re read these books...I go through them so fast a lot of details don't stick
Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2015 :  21:11:23  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved the book but was really disappointed at the end.

You're telling me Drizzt who evaded Illithids and that mind snakes intrusions wouldn't notice Kimmuriel making that farce of him lifting the Darkening?

Cattie-Brie titled, in that very book by the narrator, chosen of goddess Mielikki, doesn't know it wasn't the work of her goddess?

Otherwise a great book albeit I think it could have done entirely without the inclusion of the dragons and the other half dozen deus ex machinas, Drizzt reactions were funny though considering he usually kills dragons.

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2015 :  22:20:56  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. Catti-brie, at least, should have noticed. She should have felt the absence of Mielikki's power in thatdisplay.

Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2015 :  23:49:07  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering about that too. But on the other hand, the book was kind of... cut off at that point. We didn't even get to see Drizzt's own reaction.

My, so many open story lines.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  02:45:14  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schreckstoff

I loved the book but was really disappointed at the end.

You're telling me Drizzt who evaded Illithids and that mind snakes intrusions wouldn't notice Kimmuriel making that farce of him lifting the Darkening?

Cattie-Brie titled, in that very book by the narrator, chosen of goddess Mielikki, doesn't know it wasn't the work of her goddess?

Otherwise a great book albeit I think it could have done entirely without the inclusion of the dragons and the other half dozen deus ex machinas, Drizzt reactions were funny though considering he usually kills dragons.

Since when is Drizzt a dragonslayer?
Go to Top of Page

Merrith
Learned Scribe

135 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  03:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Merrith's Homepage Send Merrith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

I agree. Catti-brie, at least, should have noticed. She should have felt the absence of Mielikki's power in thatdisplay.

Who's to say it wasn't all part of Mielikki's plan though? I know Jarlaxle and his extended...I don't know if friends/allies is the right word...are sort of being portrayed as separate or against the machinations of the gods, but with all of the contradictions Lloth has brought into play over Drizzt being such a contested individual for her, I see no reason why Mielikki couldn't have feints in play that wouldn't make sense at face value.
Go to Top of Page

charger_ss24
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  17:16:37  Show Profile Send charger_ss24 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DandelionClock

Question: The reason I ask is that in his recent reddit Q&A, RA Salvatore is asked that by someone and replies "Port Llast to Luskan...Beniago... No more hints!"

There was no question in my mind that Artemis traveled back to Port Llast to retrieve his prized weapon to explain part of his absence in the past couple books.

As far as where else he's traveled to (Luskan, obviously) and what he's been up to, remains a mystery.
Go to Top of Page

DandelionClock
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2015 :  17:22:29  Show Profile Send DandelionClock a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hm, last we've seen him was in the Underdark, where he remained to exact revenge. Until then, his story was pretty much covered.
Do you think in-story-wise, he left the Underdark already?
Because with the CotH heading for Gauntlgrym, Artemis having stayed behind there, Dahlia still there, Effron gods-know-where after Beniago picked him up.... and "The Archmage" (Gromph I guess)... I guess the next story unfolds mainly underground.

And that we'll meet them all again there.

PS: By "covered", I mean we know where he was, not that we've been told much about it.

Edited by - DandelionClock on 17 Mar 2015 20:22:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000