Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Barrabus question - Charon's claw
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Scarab
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  17:16:27  Show Profile Send Scarab a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Possible spoiler...
----------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm currently reading Gauntlgrym , and am slightly confused as to when Barrabus was 'betrayed' by jarlaxle, and lost Charon's Claw. I don't remember reading this in past novels, perhaps I missed it.

Can someone post what book it is in?

Thanks!

Mod edit: Relocated from the ethers.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 28 Feb 2015 22:17:09

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  23:43:07  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jarlaxle's betrayal isn't detailed until The Last Threshold.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 01 Mar 2015 :  00:41:29  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Scarab

Possible spoiler...
----------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm currently reading Gauntlgrym[...].

OK, first, which is it? In the title, you mention Charon's Claw, but in the text, you say you're reading Gauntlgrym. Now, *I'm* confused!

quote:
[...] and am slightly confused as to when Barrabus was 'betrayed' by jarlaxle, and lost Charon's Claw. I don't remember reading this in past novels, perhaps I missed it.

Can someone post what book it is in?

Thanks!

Mod edit: Relocated from the ethers.

Unfortunately, it's not really in any particular book, exactly. All we've gotten on this event so far are a couple of flashbacks.

And we still don't have an exact chronological date for the event, either.

Because of the 100-year time jump mandated by the 4th Ed. of FR, Bob had to cover a lot of ground with the novel Gauntlgrym. This means that a lot of events could not be described in real time and with as much detail as what Bob usually gives us. Instead, the best he could do was to just touch upon a few of those events lightly and indirectly. This was the best he could do with the restrictions placed upon Realms authors, but it also worked kinda nicely, because it makes the event kinda mysterious and foreboding.

RAS hints at Jarlaxle having betrayed Barrabus/Entreri in Gauntlgrym, Neverwinter, and Charon's Claw. Entreri practically keeps grinding his teeth over the situation.

But it is not until The Last Threshold that we are finally given significant detail about the event. We are told from Jarlaxle's POV what happened and why. And given that, we finally understand why Entreri feels that he was betrayed by the drow mercenary.

EDIT:
It's still only a flashback, though.

D'oh, hash beat me to it!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 01 Mar 2015 00:43:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000