Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Question about Drizzt series...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kryztoffur
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  09:12:42  Show Profile Send Kryztoffur a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I just finished re-reading The Halfling's Gem and during the epilogue, RAS gives a brief description of the retaking of Mithril Hall. During this, he introduces the leader of the dwarves from Citadel Adbar as General Dagnabit.

I quickly moved onto the next book, The Legacy, and came across basically a more descriptive version of the epilogue from the previous book. This time, however, it names the general from Adbar as General Dagna. I was confused and looked it up to see if there was a mistake and only found that Dagnabbit is the son of Dagna.

Can anyone help me understand this? Was it just a screw up on RAS' s side?

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  12:59:15  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some might say that the screw-up was for RAS to have ever used the name "Dagnabbit" in the first place.

His editor for The Legacy didn't like the name Dagnabbit, so that person changed it to just plain Dagna. It was retroactive editorial interference.

So much later on, in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy", RAS retconned the situation to say that General Dagna was the father, and General Dagnabbit was the son, and they both came from Citadel Adbar to help Clan Battlehammer to retake Mithral Hall.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Kryztoffur
Acolyte

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  15:42:22  Show Profile Send Kryztoffur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up. I stopped reading the series before The Hunter's Blades began so I was a little lost.

And I agree...When I read Dagnabit, I had to shake my head in disbelief.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2015 :  23:16:54  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're quite welcome!

I blame Clyde Caldwell, cover artist for the first edition of Bob's novel Streams of Silver.

I strongly believe that Clyde is the one who gave Bruenor his signature one-horned helm. (In The Crystal Shard, Bruenor's helmet had no descriptive details, and Larry Elmore painted the first ed. cover art merely with some studs, rather than horns). I've asked Bob about this, and he says he can't quite remember exactly when in the process that it came to him to describe Bruenor's helmet as having one of the horns broken off. I suggested to him that it was during the scene in SOSi when the male Companions are taken prisoner by the Uthgardt barbarians, and Bruenor gets kicked in the head by one of their horses. But RAS has said that he considers Bruenor's helmet to have lost that one horn long, long ago, before we ever get to know him. My guess is that Bob might have seen some early concept art from Clyde before the final manuscript was turned in. (But I don't know if that really happens in the publishing business.)

At any rate, Clyde also made Bruenor look an awful lot like the Looney Tunes cartoon character Yosemite Sam. (That depiction of Bruenor serves as my Candlekeep avatar.) Just look at that countenance, and you can practically hear him calling out, "Dagnabbit, you rascally varmint! I'm gonna get you good!"

And that sort of imagery was probably stuck in Bob's subconscious when he was writing the next novel, The Halfling's Gem, and General Dagnabit popped into his head.

Go to Top of Page

Schreckstoff
Seeker

53 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  16:32:01  Show Profile Send Schreckstoff a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was it the same editor who made Guen male in the Crystal Shard?

Complete Drizzt Saga - Check
In love with Farideh's Saga - Check
Disappointed at Erevis' Saga's apparent end - Check
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  20:38:49  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I much prefer Dagna. Hard to take a character named Dagnabit seriously.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2015 :  22:36:05  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Schreckstoff

Was it the same editor who made Guen male in the Crystal Shard?

Realms novel editors rarely get citations in the books, so I don't know. Bob's quick to give shout-outs to the editors by name when he has a positive anecdote. But when it's negative, he just uses the umbrella phrase "one of the editors". It's classier that way.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000