Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ultimate Campaign's Business Generator
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  01:43:12  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, I recently started looking at Pathfinder's Ultimate Campaign book. Its got some interesting rules for making a business or an organization, with predetermined costs for making certain buildings, etc.. So, I felt like playing with it. I then decided that the tedium would make me not use the system unless I automated it. So, I got into OpenOffice and created a spreadsheet that gives a lot of flexibility to have multiple businesses with any kind of rooms and/or teams you want in it. It also makes separate rolls for each type of capital (which is a slight difference from the rules... it would be more tedious if it weren't two seconds to make 150 d20 dice rolls). You can control what modifier you have down to a daily basis (so, if for instance, you chose to advertise your business by spending 1 of the goods it has already made to give out free samples, and thereby get 1d6 days of a +5 modifier to your capital earning skill check... you can do that easily by rolling a d6 and then picking which days to increase your modifier for). Pretty much everything else is automated once you "setup" the business, you just hit f9 and you have a month generated. If you choose to change your ratio of what types of capital you earn on a given day, its pretty easy.

To make things even better, this system is fairly independent (i.e. it works for 3.0, 3.5, and pathfinder without a change that I'm aware of). It also makes use of different types of capital, and you can even throw this into adventuring (i.e. you might clear out a warehouse and find that it had "3 units of goods capital" OR you might save some people in a poor town and they offer you "3 units of labor" to pay you back OR you help some rich folks and gain "3 units of influence" as a result OR you might kill some orc witchdoctor who has a unit of magic capital in the form of generic ritual or spell components).

So, I figured I'd share this spreadsheet with you guys. Let me know what you think of it. If there's some improvements that can be made, I'd like to hear them. If I was absolutely confused on a rule and need to change my parameters, also let me know. If you think this would make running a business for your players, then I'd like to hear that too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8CYc8h_6sg8YmRtMnpMalB5X1U/view?usp=sharing

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  16:14:59  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Over my head. Far enough that it didn't even make a whoosh sound. But! It sounds like it does what you want it to, and I'm sure those who are familiar with Pathfinder will know what you're talking about.

Spreadsheets are awesome!
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  17:00:31  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My players are using the building and business rules in my current game set in 1340s Phlan. Sent this to one who says she had a handle on the system without the sheet so doesn't plan to use it. I will send it to my other players and give it a look myself. Is it really 145 pages long?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2015 :  23:58:30  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

My players are using the building and business rules in my current game set in 1340s Phlan. Sent this to one who says she had a handle on the system without the sheet so doesn't plan to use it. I will send it to my other players and give it a look myself. Is it really 145 pages long?

Its several sample tabs, easily readable and implementable. The main thing, read the instructions tab. There's just 7 basic steps to setting up a business (making a copy of a blank business worksheet, inputting your rooms and teams, assigning what capital they'll try to earn, inputting your skill score modifiers, making note if you had capital attrition, repeat for a second business, then put the name of the worksheets you created (assuming you named them after the business) into the totals spreadsheet, then hit F9 once to make your 150 random d20 dice rolls). It seems really simple to me, but I'd like to hear an outside opinion.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000