Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Player's Guide to Faerun - Preview and Tidbits
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  05:41:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, it's only a few short days away until it's official release, and so WotC have posted an interesting excerpt from the new tome, which provides a look at revised and new prestige classes (including epic level progressions), epic feats and spells, and Faerūn-specific material for use with the Psionics Handbook (although not the new Expanded Psionics Handbook which I find curious), the Book of Exalted Deeds, and the Book of Vile Darkness.

As well as this, we've been given a Team Interview in which 'the designers of the Player's Guide to Faerūn discuss breathing new life and cosmology into a favorite setting'.

Please be aware that due to time-zone differences, so scribes here may not yet be able to access these two articles.

Enjoy...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  06:08:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At last... -
quote:
Hell and the Abyss got shorter entries because they're very similar to the core planes. For the rest, I pieced together a lot of information from 2nd Edition sources like the Faiths & Avatars series and the Planescape setting that described the homes of the Forgotten Realms deities. I tried to put inventive new twists in as much as I could. But yeah, it was challenging as Fury's Heart to put it all together.

Not exactly everything I was hoping for, but it's great to see material from the Planescape setting receiving some rightly deserved attention...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  06:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I didn't see the excerpt(hadn't appeared yet, for some reason).

Quite nice.

Oh, and one of the epic spells is a reprint from the Epic Insights Column(Horrible Army of the Dead or whatever it is; I remember it specifically because of that line about 'Because you're carving them directly out of a center of an enemy army, you won't care if they're under your control or not').
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  07:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd looked at both before coming here, and I was wondering if Sage had seen that Planescape bit.

As to a lot of the other stuff, I'll believe it when I see it. That is, they're claiming to have some good roleplaying stuff in it; but WotC's track record ain't so good on that front.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  08:27:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes...it's really a shame that we must all think that way when it comes to what WotC will say they are going to do...

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  15:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The interview is honest that the book is mainly a rules update (and so, by implication, not a player's guide, at least as I understand the term). The fact that it's time-consuming to craft new-D&D rules material doesn't give that material value. Pap, pap, pap, support for 'character-building' powergaming, and this time I don't plan on getting it for the planar material and other little bits that sound interesting.

Edited by - Faraer on 06 Mar 2004 15:05:30
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  15:34:19  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Well, I didn't see the excerpt(hadn't appeared yet, for some reason).

I can see the excerpt being advertised on the main FR page http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fr/welcome. But any attempt at gaining access has me hit with an internal server error. So unlike WOTC to have such problems.

As for the interview, a portion near the end caught my eye

quote:
Travis: I was a little disappointed that my write-ups of the three Coronal blades of Myth Drannor didn't make it in, but I think I can squeeze them into my next project

I'd speculate that product is the lost empires one that Richard Baker mentioned was in development on the WOTC boards.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  04:26:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got to access the excerpts. I liked reading about The Kaliesh'erai. I'm correct that this organization has never been featured in the Realms before?

And for the blessed of the seven sisters feat...I wonder what their definition of a personal connection is as far as requirement.
Go to Top of Page

Elrond Half Elven
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2004 :  15:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Elrond Half Elven's Homepage Send Elrond Half Elven a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is just my opinion, is it just me or is the Hammer of Moradin http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040305a a very over powerful class? The Requirements are quite high, but to be honest I still feel that its overly powered. What are your veiws?
Hanx
Elrond

Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore-
While i nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
-The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  01:43:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are some new PGtF tidbits at the WotC site. On offer is an extensive Art Gallery with images from the new tome, as well as some wallpaper and a screensaver.

Enjoy...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  03:10:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Morninglord Wallpaper looks nice. Thanks for posting the links.
Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  03:19:35  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netherese Arcanist cant wait for that! And a question about the Tolodine's Killing Wind, wasnt that a 10th level spell in Netheril time? If so I thought those spells were banned?

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

CurseLord
Acolyte

35 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  04:43:36  Show Profile  Visit CurseLord's Homepage Send CurseLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Tolodine's Killing Wind will be an epic spell. I beleive they have a couple of Netherese spells and Elven High Magic as epic spells in the book, though I could be wrong.

Edited by - CurseLord on 08 Mar 2004 04:45:14
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  05:35:57  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elrond Half Elven

This is just my opinion, is it just me or is the Hammer of Moradin http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040305a a very over powerful class? The Requirements are quite high, but to be honest I still feel that its overly powered. What are your veiws?
Hanx
Elrond

Some of it's abilities are powerful, but a whole bunch of them are short lasting and rather specific in their uses. Also the throwing and returning thing isn't too useful because the it prevents the PC from moving (if he wants them back), and he can only catch at most two hammers (since putting one away is a move action), and then can only attack with one.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  14:40:35  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CurseLord

Perhaps Tolodine's Killing Wind will be an epic spell. I beleive they have a couple of Netherese spells and Elven High Magic as epic spells in the book, though I could be wrong.

Given that the spell was listed in Chapter 7: Epic Levels in Faerūn in the Table of Contents that Richard Baker posted on the WOTC board, I'd say you are dead on accurate.
Go to Top of Page

Teflon
Seeker

60 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  22:21:12  Show Profile  Visit Teflon's Homepage Send Teflon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One of my friends said the new guide was released in germany. Anyone can confirm this?

In any battle, the mightiest weapon is one that strikes unseen.

A Warrior or Wizard may be invincible in open battle, with their foes before them, but even they must sleep sometime, and cannot parry the knife that comes from behind.

-The life of a assassin.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2004 :  23:51:32  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teflon

One of my friends said the new guide was released in germany. Anyone can confirm this?

In the past I've seen countries outside the United States get a new product first. However, word is only spread by someone from the lucky country making a post on one of the messageboards. I have yet to see this happen for PGTF. Did your friend see the guide or just heard this someplace?
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  00:18:03  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well there are people on the Wizards boards from Germany answering questions about it, so I'll go with yes it was released in Germany.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  03:10:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

In the past I've seen countries outside the United States get a new product first. However, word is only spread by someone from the lucky country making a post on one of the messageboards. I have yet to see this happen for PGTF. Did your friend see the guide or just heard this someplace?

Actually, you could be right about that. I've noted a few times in the past, that Australia has received WotC products earlier for release than in the US. As it happens, my copy of PGtF is due to arrive this week...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  17:29:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Actually, you could be right about that. I've noted a few times in the past, that Australia has received WotC products earlier for release than in the US. As it happens, my copy of PGtF is due to arrive this week...

Tease! You're right, Australia is the country I've heard getting WOTC items before the U.S. What's the point of being a super power if you can't get RPG items before anyone else?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2004 :  22:34:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Tease! You're right, Australia is the country I've heard getting WOTC items before the U.S. What's the point of being a super power if you can't get RPG items before anyone else?

Not even a Super power can fight the International Dateline

*Evil Banite laughter*

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2004 :  03:30:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Not even a Super power can fight the International Dateline

*Evil Banite laughter*

Or the power of the koala bear?

Here's hoping this new week brings the Player's Guide to someone on the board. The earliest date I keep hearing online for the U.S. is the 19th.
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  02:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So far I haven't seen it yet at a local Waldenbooks. A dealer at our convention the weekend before last said he'd gotten them after he'd left for the convention (Timing=GRR! ) or I'd have bought one off him....

I'm gonna go check Waldenbooks and if all else fails, order it in time for next week's FR game....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2004 :  05:31:20  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darth KTrava

So far I haven't seen it yet at a local Waldenbooks. A dealer at our convention the weekend before last said he'd gotten them after he'd left for the convention (Timing=GRR! ) or I'd have bought one off him....

I'm gonna go check Waldenbooks and if all else fails, order it in time for next week's FR game....

Good luck. I read on another board that Amazon is shipping the guide now to those who ordered it in advance from them. If that company has it, everyone should have it by now.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000