Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 21

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  12:47:46  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno if this has been thought of before: How about a place where we can post reviews of 3rd-party products? Without my recent "ENWorld sells their stuff for one dollar- shopping sprees" this would never have become a topic for me, but now... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5563 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  18:27:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

Dunno if this has been thought of before: How about a place where we can post reviews of 3rd-party products? Without my recent "ENWorld sells their stuff for one dollar- shopping sprees" this would never have become a topic for me, but now... ;)

Well met

Aye, we discussed this recently over in the moderator chamber but haven't come up with a solid solution. For now, use the D&D Core section. We don't want to dedicate too much to areas outside of the Realms and venture into 3rd party territory, however.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  18:53:16  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, that works for me.
I think we could include a few words of how to integrate this or that book into the realms, but that might look like a cheap alibi...
Go to Top of Page

Big Mac
Seeker

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  16:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Big Mac's Homepage Send Big Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual nuts and bolts content of Candlekeep is great, so I think you need to concentrate on the presentation and additional features.

I've got a few suggestions, but the most important one is to dump the frameset.

The frameset looks nice, but makes it very hard for most people to email links to deep parts of Candlepower. It is technically possible to grab the URLs of the bits of Candlepower, but then when you load them the navigation elements are missing. (Incidentally this means that most people who browse in here from Google searches see broken pages. When you click on the links to the homepage you don't see the Candlekeep logo or the navigation on the left.)

I realises that dumping the frameset means redesigning every page to add navigation into the page. (I've done this sort of global thing on my own website and it took me ages. I did it all using hand coded HTML and I got really frustrated by the epic workload, so believe me when I say that I do understand what a big job this is.) But dumping the frameset would be a great opportunity to update the navigation (and if you can get someone in who does PHP or Pearl wizardry they might be able to automate the inclusion of the navigation parts of the pages).

I'd like to see a new Candlekeep logo*. At the moment you have one logo on the main page, a different one on the forums and a third one on Candlekeep Compendium. I think you need a single logo that can do all three things and also be used elsewhere. I also think that the main page version (with flaming touches) is a bit old fashioned. If you have a few artists onbord, maybe you could do a competition.

* = I don't mean a "4e Candlekeep logo", if anyone is thinking that. I just mean something that has more of a "brand identity" than the current logo.

I think that Candlekeep needs to have a professional looking house style with elements that can be included in PDFs as well as on banner ads on other websites. So I'd like a logo that can be an impressive header on the main page, but can also fit or be shrunk down and still be readable. You probably won't ever have printed gamebooks, but it would be nice if people could make it as small as the logos on the spines of FR RPG books. It would be nice to be able to put the logo on the spine of a folder full of printed Candlekeep Compendium issues.

(Maybe you can make things like the buildings optional layers that can be removed when people need a mini Candlekeep logo.) Personally, I'd like to be able to look at the Candlekeep logo and think instantly of Forgotten Realms. (Dragonlance Nexus has a logo with the Dragonlance logo in it. Maybe you can use elements from the various Forgotten Realms logos.)

If possible, I'd like the main website and the forums to move towards a common design. You have a breadcrumb trail (of books) on the forums, but this isn't there on the main website. To be honest, I think the diagonal layout of the forum breadcrumb trail is a bit of a waste of screen space, when they could probably go on a single line. But the fact that the breadcrumbs are there is very helpful. So please put the same sort of navigation onto the main website, when you can.

The main website has a bunch of important links on the left and I think they would work as a list of links at the top (or bottom) of the page. That would free up a lot of space. And a design more like that could be brought into the forum side and allow people to jump between the two parts of Candlekeep a lot easier.

Next, I would ask you to change your colour scheme. The dark background/white text thing makes it very difficult to print out pages of the website. If you must have a house style with a background, then please switch to one that is more like a printed RPG gamebook. (Your Candlekeep Compendium style is a lot more attractive than the website style, so I hope you can bring some of that back to your website and your forums.)

There has been talk of "offtopic" forums, and I don't think they would help, but Forgotten Realms has a bunch of sister campaign settings (Al Qadim, Maztica, The Horde, Kara-Tur) and I think that WotC have abandoned those. I'd like to see Candlekeep create a place on the forums where people can gather together to discuss updating those settings to 3rd edition (or maybe even 4th edition**) rules.

** = Said through gritted teeth.

Talking of conversions, I recently had a look for some, but couldn't find any information here. I would like to see a section on the website that gives information about every FR monster ever made. I'm not looking for pirate versions of monsters, but if there was a list (or maybe several linked lists) that told me what game books to look into that would be really useful. I'd also like to see Candlekeep provide links to (or even host) conversions of every monster that WotC have not decided to upgrade to 3rd edition (or 3.5). This sort of thing would be especially important for sub-settings like Maztica, as there are not ever going to be any 3rd edition books from WotC (and it may never get brought back without your help).

Like I said before, I couldn't find any conversions here. So if your Candlekeep Compendium team could help compile conversions for the abandoned parts of FR maybe you could make some PDFs that take WotC ideas (like Monsters of Faerun) and turn them into things like Monsters of Maztica. Things like this could work alongside WotC products to bring the rest of FR back to the gaming table.

Forgotten Realms touches Spelljammer (in Realmspace) and touches Planescape (with its focus on portals). I'm not too up on Ravenloft, but there might be a bit of a connection there. It would be nice for joint projects to have a place to discuss things. I'm currently working - or at least should be working - on a crossover project involving Dragonlance fans and Spelljammer fans (which I hope will go on both Dragonlance Nexus and Beyond the Moons). It would be nice to be able to organise a Candlekeep/Beyond the Moons project after I've got that one done.

Oh and last, but not least, last year Dragonlance Nexus and Planewalker.com got the first and second place in the ENnie Awards. I can see from looking around, that you have a ton of experts hanging out here. I'd love to see you join Dragonlance Nexus and Planewalker and slug it out in the next set of awards.

I might have made some criticism, but there is a ton of good stuff on Candlekeep, and I hope that my comments are constructive ones that will help this website look good enough to collect an ENnie.

BTW: Thanks for all your hard work making this site. Even if you can't do half of the things on my wishlist, I'll still be coming back here.

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Webmaster - Virtual Eclipse Roleplaying Club
http://www32.brinkster.com/virtualeclipse/
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/virtualeclipselrp/
Visit my Yahoo links for: Forgotten Realms websites, Al Qadim websites, Arcane Age websites, Kara-Tur websites, Maztica websites, The Horde websites and FRCS web enhancements
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5563 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  23:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Big Mac

My word, that's certainly a comprehensive list of requests and suggestions

Seriously, there's some great ideas there. A number of your comments are already on the "definate" list and are to be developed as part of Candlekeep v2.0. I quite like a number of other changes your suggested and will certainly look into them.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this. It's been very helpful and interesting to read

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  17:23:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just one thing - don't touch the torches. Some of us really like that sort of thing, old-fashioned or not.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5563 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  18:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Just one thing - don't touch the torches. Some of us really like that sort of thing, old-fashioned or not.

There's a place for everything at Candlekeep. Even the old MIDI "Yewtree" tune (for the old timers who recall that playing back in the distant past) is still on the site for download

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2008 :  23:42:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It IS? Where, Great Alaundo, where???
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  00:54:00  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My lovely Lady, I have a package for you.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5563 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2008 :  19:04:52  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage  Click to see Alaundo's MSN Messenger address Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

It IS? Where, Great Alaundo, where???
love,
THO

Surely ye weren't around in those early days, my dear Hooded One?

Oh it seems so long ago now. Also hard to imagine the pre-forum Candlekeep.

::wanders off reminiscing::

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3747 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  23:49:47  Show Profile  Click to see Alystra Illianniis's MSN Messenger address Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but what about a fan-fic section? For those of us who would like to try our hand at some FR stories to share? I am a Moderator on Marvel, which has a very prolific fan-fic board, and it is fun and popular. It would be great to see some of our fellow scribes' takes on our favorite characters from the Realms. I know I would enjoy it, and I'm sure others would, too.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2010 :  23:59:06  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with a "Fan-Fic" section, is that it can become both hard to regulate and difficult to moderate -- especially when discussions pop up re: canon for an element in a story.

Additionally, we've never had much call for such a section. Most scribes, who are intent on posting their individual FR stories, just usually utilise the Adventuring shelf.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  08:16:19  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When using the "Insert list" (bulleted list) feature, it places all the code markings on one line, with spaces in awkard places:

<*>__</*><*>__</*><*>__</*>

It would be easier to decipher and use if each code pair (the opening and closing asterisk) appeared on a separate line:

<*>__</*>
<*>__</*>
<*>__</*>

Alternatively, the spaces could appear in between code pairs, rather than within them:

<*></*>__<*></*>__<*></*>

Or perhaps there could just be line-returns between code pairs:

<*></*>
<*></*>
<*></*>

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2010 :  15:13:47  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually already brought up something very similar with Alaundo during one of our previous discussions about modifications to forum functions for Candlekeep 2.

I'll have to underline it now.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  04:02:02  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What's new will be on Candlekeep 2?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3066 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  14:01:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

First, there will be a massive 'Sage's Gremlin' Stomping Day for the updated forums. Then we shall reorganize.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  15:10:58  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

First, there will be a massive 'Sage's Gremlin' Stomping Day for the updated forums. Then we shall reorganize.

Confound it! I can't open this from my present location. Have to try again later.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  18:43:07  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can this scroll be used to make a wishing list for Candlekeep 2?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  00:53:30  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Captain Picard voice]"Wishing will not make it so."[/voice]

Seriously, so long as your wishes don't stretch the boundaries of reality here at Candlekeep all that much [say, for example, asking for a section about discussing Iron Man], we'll try our best to see that your wishes take some shape or form.

Edited by - The Sage on 15 May 2010 01:01:10
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
2859 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  03:52:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about Doctor Doom, then Sage?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  04:53:28  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I'd be all for a Doctor Doom discussion board. Or Doctor Strange, really.

I could talk for hours about them both!

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  04:59:51  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a big fan of Dr. Fate, myself.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Sage. When making the Candlekeep 2 if you will not save accounts, can you at least make a lower rank barrier? Not that I care but some people maybe would nag at how they spent the years to attain the rank they have now.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31684 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:28:42  Show Profile  Send The Sage an AOL message  Click to see The Sage's MSN Messenger address  Send The Sage a Yahoo! Message Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Dear Sage. When making the Candlekeep 2 if you will not save accounts, can you at least make a lower rank barrier? Not that I care but some people maybe would nag at how they spent the years to attain the rank they have now.

That might be a little difficult, since the current rank structure for the Candlekeep community closely mirrors previously established Ed-lore for the library in the Realms. [See An Introduction to Candlekeep by Ed Greenwood on the main site]

Edited by - The Sage on 15 May 2010 06:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  09:30:40  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Sill does not mean a complete overhaul, just lowering the reqs a bit. 5%, say.
My question: what about an easily accessible "spoiler" button. That way we wouldn't have to leave tons of blank lines or use beige color.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 21 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000